What are the cult classics of the current gen?

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
I would say Mirrors Edge, Dark Souls and Journey for sure. What about Slender? It seems to have a good cult family around it.

KorfZin

Sep 16, 2013
It seems most games mentioned are going to just be actual classics rather than cult classics.

The only nominee I can think of right now is Vanquish.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Persona 4 was released 2 years after the PS3 was released guys, it counts as "this gen" even if it's on a "last gen" paltform. And let's not forget about the masterpiece that is Persona 4 Golden on the Vita. Say what you will about the Vita, if you missed out on P4G you missed out on the difinitive version of the game.

I'll also go with Catherine. An amazing puzzle game with an excellent story and aesthetic that not nearly enough people played.

And I couldn't possibly forget the Arland series of Atelier games. With some of the best female protagonists in history set in a gorgeous setting with a great story. The voice actors (for the JP version) were top notch and the games themselves were absolutely excellent. Music and art driection were perfect as well, I love that OST.

zegram33

Oct 24, 2012
hmn... cult classics as in underappreciated gems?
alpha protocol is a cert
id say dragons dogma DA rather than dark/demon souls, imo it does more or less the same concept better.
id also say two worlds II. it got basically no acclaim, I picked it up at a second hand shop for £3.00, and its just...great. its nice to have an rpg that, rather than doing the traditional grass, rocky, cave, desert et areas starts you off in the African savannah fighting ostriches, then only gets weirder from there

oh, and imo the biggest one is White Knight Chronicles II.
fantastic rpg, cheesy plot but d combat, class system, interesting characters, etc
if they hadn't taken down the online, it would be among my top games....ever

CrackerJack

Nov 2, 2013
Alpha frekin Protocol! It is the diamond in the rough! And I will have to say Journey even though it is popular.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
josemlopes said:
Call Of Duty 4 for the single fact that it was just that great even thought the popularity only exploded with MW2 meaning that most COD fans didnt even played 4 (or COD 2 for that matter). COD 4 now is just like Seinfeld where if you play it now you wont see how ahead of its time it was since everything else after it copied it hard (even the sequels copied 4 to no end).
I'm sorry but I fail to see how a game that has sold around 20 million copies across all platforms,is regarded by many as the best of the CoD series and one of the best FPS games ever made could ever be called a cult classic.It's about as far from cult as you can get

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I really liked the JRPGs that we got within the first year or two of the Xbox 360's life cycle. Games like Enchanted Arms, Blue Dragon and, Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope. The voice acting ranged from passable to horrible (kay?) but the gameplay itself was what I want out of any given JRPG...exploring a world, exploring pretty looking dungeons, random encounters, turn-based combat and, in Enchanted Arms case, catching and training up monsters to power yourself up.

I remember Lost Odyssey getting a lot of press up until it was released. I rented it but couldn't get into it at all...it wasn't as bad as Final Fantasy XIII but it just couldn't engage me. Then there were western RPGs like Marvel Ultimate Alliance which I absolutely adored...well the first one, I liked the second but it was definitely a step backwards and presumably into a pit since there hasn't been a third Ultimate Alliance sadly.

So there we go: My votes go to;

Blue Dragon (less than $10 on Amazon)
Enchanted Arms (you can find a million of these at any given game shop used for cheap)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (easier to find on the 360)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (Good luck)
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (less than $20 on amazon: PS3 has international version so hopefully the Japanese VA is better)