What are the problems with Steam?

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
I know a lot of people have been having trouble with Steam lately, and I would like to hear some of the problems people have been having. I know most people have NEVER had a problem with Steam and think it's just the best thing ever, but I've heard some horror stories about people losing HUGE libraries of some 200+ games with literally no reason given other than their computer was suspected to have "suspicious" programs on it. So I would really like to hear if anyone else had heard or have experienced any problems with Steam the rather infamously useless Steam Customer Service.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"but I've heard some horror stories about people losing HUGE libraries of some 200+ games with literally no reason given other than their computer was suspected to have "suspicious" programs on it."

Uhhh... source?

And I can't say I've hear of people having any particular trouble with it lately. Did you have anything specific in mind?

Been using it since 2004 and - apart from it being crap when it started up - I've never had a single problem with it.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
The only problem I've had in using it for a few years is with their awesome sales causing me to make unplanned game purchases.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Woodsey said:
"but I've heard some horror stories about people losing HUGE libraries of some 200+ games with literally no reason given other than their computer was suspected to have "suspicious" programs on it."

Uhhh... source?

And I can't say I've hear of people having any particular trouble with it lately. Did you have anything specific in mind?
I really wish I did have a source. You know how you see a story here or there on the internet and you never really think to keep the url around. But I would just like to see if anyone has experienced any problems with Steam banning accounts or being treated rudely by customer service. I myself DO have a Steam account, but I've not played anything in like 8 months simply because I had it to play TF2 and I'm absolutely fed up with that game. So I myself don't have any stories.

Dagnius

May 3, 2010
The problems I've had with it are freezing, becoming unresponsive, and downloading stuff in the background without me being able to see or stop it. But that was a while back... I quit using steam after said problems just so I could have some darn bandwith, being on a rock & string connection. I love it as a service (even if i'm too broke to use it) as they often have very nice deals on games.

I've considered reinstalling it play HalfLife2 or Portal again. Hopefully I won't run into those problems again.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Jitters Caffeine said:
but I've heard some horror stories about people losing HUGE libraries of some 200+ games with literally no reason given other than their computer was suspected to have "suspicious" programs on it.
They prolly got caught hacking but rather than admit it they try say they did nothing. As far as steam stay away from the forums and your games should be safe.

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
isometry said:
The only problem I've had in using it for a few years is with their awesome sales causing me to make unplanned game purchases.
A problem you, me, and just about everyone else has. Today I looked in my games list and asked myself,"What in the flying fuck is Garshasp the Monster Slayer and when did I buy it?"

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ive been having problems with steam(ing shit) for 10 years or so now.

The current ones are the steam platform keeps crashing on me and I cant play games because of some bullshit cloud problem. Didnt ask for it, dont need it.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Darks63 said:
Jitters Caffeine said:
but I've heard some horror stories about people losing HUGE libraries of some 200+ games with literally no reason given other than their computer was suspected to have "suspicious" programs on it.
They prolly got caught hacking but rather than admit it they try say they did nothing. As far as steam stay away from the forums and your games should be safe.
See? That's something I brought up a while back when I made a thread bringing up a guy who had his Origin account banned from the EA forums for being kind of an ass and it locked him out of the online portions of his games because he had his xbox Live gamertag connected to it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
It still isn't 100% stable and it does crash on occasion.
Unless you know the work arounds it will sometimes want to download games you own on disk.
It doesn't always obey the no updates options.

I think it is still the second best digital distribution system available, and it has a more expansive catalogue than GOG. Steam sales, combined with stepping up to an uncapped internet account has convinced me of the viability of digital distribution.

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
The UI is designed for consoles. Totally ineffective mouse in menus, no use of number keys for fast equipment of items...

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
There's some sync problems with the Steam Cloud for Warhammer 40k Retribution, and though its calmed down, there was some problems with loadout/item servers in TF2.I never actually had the Warhammer problem, but TF2 made it so you couldn't use your non-stock items from time to time.

If I include my entire experience with Steam, which goes back to 2004...Offline mode can be unreliable at times. There was one occasion where my internet went down and I couldn't play my games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jitters Caffeine said:
Woodsey said:

Uhhh... source?

I really wish I did have a source. You know how you see a story here or there on the internet and you never really think to keep the url around. But I would just like to see if anyone has experienced any problems with Steam banning accounts or being treated rudely by customer service. I myself DO have a Steam account, but I've not played anything in like 8 months simply because I had it to play TF2 and I'm absolutely fed up with that game. So I myself don't have any stories.
Right, well they won't do that. What the hell counts as a "suspicious program" anyway? As for customer support: its biggest problem is its speed, not that they're rude.

CrazyJew said:
The UI is designed for consoles. Totally ineffective mouse in menus, no use of number keys for fast equipment of items...
Should this be in a Skyrim thread by any chance?

wooty said:
Ive been having problems with steam(ing shit) for 10+ years or so now.

The current ones are the steam platform keeps crashing on me and I cant play games because of some bullshit cloud problem. Didnt ask for it, dont need it.
10+? Its only been out for 8-!

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
My roommate bought Skyrim. He had to download Steam onto his computer so that he could play it. He has to keep Steam on his computer to play Skyrim. Steam took up processing power and watched what he did. Then Steam updated, and Skyrim no longer worked.

That's horsesh*t.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I haven't had any issues with Steam. If anything, the main issue is that its too useful and too awesome!
The only major issue was the auto-update to Skyrim that negated my large address aware patch but that was easily avoided by just setting it to not auto-update.

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
Jesus Christ, I have been playing Skyrim so much I see that word everywhere... epic brainfart, I apologize, move along...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Jitters Caffeine said:
I know a lot of people have been having trouble with Steam lately, and I would like to hear some of the problems people have been having. I know most people have NEVER had a problem with Steam and think it's just the best thing ever, but I've heard some horror stories about people losing HUGE libraries of some 200+ games with literally no reason given other than their computer was suspected to have "suspicious" programs on it. So I would really like to hear if anyone else had heard or have experienced any problems with Steam the rather infamously useless Steam Customer Service.
I have internet download caps

and whenever you buy a game (retail) theres going to be a download, if that game is a few years old with alto of updates....then somtimes I coulnt even play it becuase i had to download half of it which my cap wouldnt allow

aside from that its just another hoop you have to jump throuhg to play your game, its annoying

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
I haven't had any problems with Steam itself, but some games don't work (right). I've bought games I just couldn't play at all, games that crash frequently and games that won't even start. The customer support is motherbussing useless, but sometimes other players will actually figure out the problem and post the solution on the forums. Don't count on this, though.

Seriously, before buying a new game, always check the forums page. If the first 5 pages consists of threads with titles like "game won't start" or "constant crashes", don't fucking buy it. Expect just about no assistance from the developer or Steam. I've pissed away quite a bit of money this way.

Bafflingly, sometimes people will mention that the game works fine when purchased from Direct2Drive or some other service/disc copy, but the Steam version is fucked. It's... discouraging. To the point that I've considered just giving up on buying any more games on Steam. But then the sales happen...