What are the top 3 best games of this generation so far?

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
1) The Witcher 3

2) Dark Souls III

3) XCOM 2 (*I have a feeling Nier Automata will take this spot. Whenever I can get it.*)

Honorable mentions to indie gems:
- Transistor
- Hollow Knight

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Kibeth41 said:
Jiub said:
I would rather play any game that came out 15 years ago than any game that's come out in the past 5 years. That's pretty much "this generation" of games in a nutshell...
Good for you. So if you don't like any new games. Why are you commenting on this thread?
this gen is definitely major improvement over last gen althought not as good as late 90s or early 00s. last gen was really bad. majority of games were dumbed down, handholding, QTE fest. these type of games were introduce in last generation.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
1) Undertale
2) DOOM
3) The Witcher 3

That's more of my "favorite games of this generation" list rather than "best games of this generation", but I'm not analytical or objective enough to make a better Top 3 list.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
By 'this generation', I assume you mean the 8th generation [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles], or anything that's come out since the launch of the Wii U (2012).

I'll give my top 3 per platform, as I use consoles and PC differently, even for gaming.

[HEADING=3]PC[/HEADING][h4]Mainly for serious, stern-faced gaming.[/h4]
BioShock Infinite
Witcher III
Undertale
[potentially] Thimbleweed Park, as I kind of dig it. Let's see if I still dig it in retrospect.

[HEADING=3]PlayStation 4[/HEADING][h4]Mainly for quick-play multiplayer or messing around on AAA titles[/h4]
Grand Theft Auto V
World of Tanks
Rocket League

[HEADING=3]Xbone[/HEADING][h4]I don't own one of these, so this is playing on friends' machines only[/h4]
Forza 6
Kalimba
Uh... Halo?

[HEADING=3]Wii U[/HEADING][h4]literally only played one game on this[/h4]
Mario Kart 8

[HEADING=3]Switch[/HEADING][h4]not sure if there are three non-Zelda games even released for this yet[/h4]
Zelda: Legend of the Wild Wind's Twilight Breath

Even though I included World of Tanks, I've generally shied away from naming HD remasters and previous-gen updates to now-gen consoles, like The Last of Us. Nothing's quite reached the great heights of Ōkami or Cave Story just yet, but my style of gaming has diversified. As my time dries up due to the ending of youth + professional and grown-up commitments, so do my endless hours of grinding away at 80+ hour games, which is why I didn't put Final Fantasy XV, either. Also, 'cause it's a bit meh, to be honest. Perhaps I should give it a proper go, but again: time is the key. Rocket League and WoT are great for quickfire games, and Batman is always fun, too. Haven't played DOOM yet, though. Should give that a whirl.

Skatalite

May 8, 2007
My favorite games this gen are:

3) The Last Guardian
2) Inside
1) Bloodborne

And with Dark Souls being my favorite last gen, I doubt anything will top Bloodborne.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
1. Wolfenstein: The New Order
2. Alien: Isolation
3. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
4. The Evil Within

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I can only put The Witcher 3 on that list with any real certainty.

I've loved many new games this gen, but W3 is the one game I don't see anyone else getting even close to in the foreseeable future.

Dec 10, 2012
stroopwafel said:
Why just 3?
Because those are the only 3 games B-Cell has enjoyed in this gen, or likely even played. And one of them is a remaster from last gen. Gives you an idea of how broad his tastes are.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
I'll admit that two out of the four of these I haven't played, but they're picked based on what I think I'd like, so shut up.

#1: Wolfenstein: The New Order: So I played this on PS3, but it fits because it's also a PS4/XB1 game. It's an excellent blending of old and new gameplay styles, with well-designed stealth gameplay mated to fantastic shooting action set in a wonderfully dystopic alternate history where the Nazis won WWII. Could have done with some bigger battle scenes featuring alt-history versions of tanks designed by the Nazis, possibly based on the Entwicklung series designs.

#2: DriveClub: I've said elsewhere here on the Escapist Forums that this game feels more like a Need For Speed game than anything released with the NFS label in over a decade. It had been twelve years at the time DC came out since the release of the last TRUE NFS game, Hot Pursuit 2. The driving's just in that perfect spot of not being full simulator but not being full arcade either. Could stand to have a better soundtrack, but they're not releasing any further updates which is a pity.

BEGIN GAMES THAT I HAVE YET TO PLAY. THIS SECTION IS TO BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

#3: Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown: Yes, I know, it's not out yet. Shut up. It's going back to the PS2-era of the franchise, with a bunch of devs that worked on games like AC04: Shattered Skies, AC5: The Unsung War and AC0: The Belkan War. I'm just excited to be going back to Osea. See you guys in Oured!

#4: DooM 2016: Going back to the roots of old-school DooM, the grand-daddy of the first-person shooter. Come on, this just has to be here for the rock-solid old-school demon killing.

rightbehindyou

Apr 13, 2017
World of Warcraft (yeah, probably everyone is too cool for this one in 2017, but its size and polish are unmatched)
Final Fantasy XIV
Witcher 3

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
1. fire emblem awakening- still one of the best games ive ever played on a handheld.

2. Mass effect Andromeda- yes it has flaws but god dam if the combat and multiplayer arnt fun as hell

3. The Witcher 3- so not really a fan of this game but dam if CD project red cant make a great looking game, so it seems proper to include it if only because that kind of hard work and dedication deserves credit.(even if I did like DA:I better)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Too much ADD to have really finished anything this gen yet but most promising so far:

3: Uncharted 4
2: Final Fantasy XV
1: Witcher 3 GOTY

Feb 7, 2016
I'm going to comment the three games that made the biggest impact on me, not that they are necessarily the best games of this generation.

1. The Witcher 3- immersed me in a fantasy world like no other game ever has. I can't begin to express my affection for this game.

2. Overwatch- I haven't played a multiplayer shooter this long and this consistently since all my friend still played Modern Warfare 2. It's insane how much enjoyment I still get out of this after hundreds upon hundreds of hours.

3. Resident Evil 7/Alien: Isolation (honestly can't choose between the two, but they both made me REALLY enjoy survival horror games for once)

Runner-ups:

Killzone: Shadowfall- Honestly, was just really pretty. Gave me some hope of what the PS4 could actually do. It wasn't a half bad game either.

Metal Gear Solid 5- Geez, this could have been one of my all time favorite games, but games are more to me than just solid gameplay. Konami fucked this up and gave it less credit than it deserved. I do solidly think this could have been the magnum opus of the series if they had treated Kojima and everyone that worked on it better.

Titanfall 2- The single player blew me away. It's not the best campaign. But for a game that didn't originally have one, I'm so glad it didn't feel like they just shoehorned it in to appease those that complained last time around. It's your turn Battlefront 2...

DOOM- Proof that the old guys still got it. An impressive game technically, gameplay wise, and in personality.

Shadow Warrior 2- Probably the most fun I've had. It's kind of a shit game if I'm honest. But in co op it's so far been unparalleled with how fast paced the game is, and it appeals to my loot and shoot inner self.

Infamous Second Son- Again, a great looking game on PS4 and much more fun than Killzone at that. Shame it felt so short to me.

If I keep going at this rate I might just end up listing every good game to come out of this generation....

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Kibeth41 said:
B-Cell said:
Kibeth41 said:
Jiub said:
I would rather play any game that came out 15 years ago than any game that's come out in the past 5 years. That's pretty much "this generation" of games in a nutshell...
Good for you. So if you don't like any new games. Why are you commenting on this thread?
this gen is definitely major improvement over last gen althought not as good as late 90s or early 00s. last gen was really bad. majority of games were dumbed down, handholding, QTE fest. these type of games were introduce in last generation.
I hate huge generalizations like that.

You were evidently just playing the wrong games.
Odd statement. I might be able to agree that modern 3D gaming became truly functional during Gen 6 so that 7 may have seemed less a revolution. The controllers for Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox all had dual analogue thumb sticks that allowed for the control mechanics we can enjoy to this day. (G-d of War on PS2 is still fun). But physics engines became more powerful, gameplay mechanics were sharpened. And I love great graphics. Gen 6 4x3 480i graphics look broken compared to 16x9 720P graphics on a 50" or above TV.

And as you write, if you found nothing but QTE games in Gen 7, you are doing it wrong.

As someone that loves PC gaming, Gen 8 didn't blow me away as I already was seeing graphics of that kind of quality when they came out but I am loving it.

Compare: Witcher 1 is perfectly serviceable. That doesn't mean 3 doesn't have improvements worth enjoying.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Really enjoying Shadow Tactics. It's one of the few games of this generation that i've been taken away by.

Qoajo

May 10, 2017
I haven't played too many "this generation" games. I have yet to get over my Starcraft obsession.
For this generation, my top 3 are (in no particular order)
1) Horizon Zero Dawn
2) Shadow of Mordor
3) Watchdogs 2