what are the worst pvp maps that everybody played on all the time?

Duster

Jul 15, 2014
For me it was blood gulch, from halo ce

Yeah it's a classic but it was a horrible map. People would teamkill you for the sniper. Guy who got in the banshee was literally a god and would topfrag for the rest of the round. Everybody else was just peasants that fought over power ups and vehicles while they get picked off by people with better spawns who got the items. The movement speed in the game was incredibly low so you had to shuffle through the open and just hope somebody with a vehicle, sniper, banshee, or plasma artillery wouldn't indulge in a freekill.

http://i.imgur.com/ue4QvBC.jpg

DrGonzo

Oct 29, 2014
Metro on BF3 comes to mind. I hated that map, felt like a complete corridor and it was very un-Battlefield IMO.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I hate Dust on CS:GO, but that is pretty much because it is the one map that is played over and over and over again. I just got sick of it more than actually hating it. Then again, the constant getting AWP'd through doors within the first few seconds got pretty irritating.

Metro and Locker on BF3/4 (64 players, CQ). The maps just turn into a corridor and choke point cluster fuck with enough camera shake from explosions to think that there is an earthquake. The maps might be great for getting kills and experience, but they just aren't fun.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Tf2 dustdowl is literally a 10 my sentry sim, very narrow choke points, and limited skybox room! All topped of with some of the most stupid kit placements ever!

Love live cp_badlands <3

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Huttball (both versions) in SWtor. It pops more often than the much better capture the flag WZ's and most people who in huttball don't know how to play it so it's just a giant mosh pit of people fighting without direction. Also the few people who understand rage at others in chat the whole time. Those same people then do dumbshit things like passing the ball to people who are under focus fire and then complain that they didn't pass the ball. It pretty much broke my desire to pvp in SWtor along with the arcadey nature of the pvp and the lack of the holy trinity for target prioritizing.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I had a bunch in mind from a slew of different games, and had planned to list a bunch of 'em. However, I had a bit of an epiphany and came to the realization that I need only list one thing...

Cliff Bleszinski.

I can't recall a single map by this man, most notably from the Unreal Tournament series, that wasn't atrocious at worst or mediocre at best. Yet, at least half of them were the most popular and most played maps in the series.

I just....gods I disliked his maps.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
2fort for Team Fortress 2. It's woefully archaic and doesn't suit the game's mechanics at all.

Snipers spend all their time on the battlements shooting at other Snipers. Engineers just sit picking their nose in the intel room. Soldiers and Demos can't explosive jump effectively except in the middle. The base layout is atrocious, comprised almost exclusively of narrow hallways with 90-degree angles. Heavies and Pyros dominate because of this, while classes that rely on evasion like Scouts and Spies are screwed.

2fort is a relic of a bygone era; an era of grenade spam and conc-jumping across the map at 80 mph. It just doesn't work with TF2's more measured approach to gameplay. Alas, it remains an indelible fixture because it's "tradition" to have 2fort in a Team Fortress game. The only time you'll see me playing 2fort is when I want to goof around without having to worry about the objective.

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
Firebase Reactor in ME3. Maybe it's just the lighting in my room, but I can't see worth squat on that map, and I hate close-quarter combat in ME3. Firbase Condor, the perennial last-place map, also deserves a mention.

Like Darks63 said, Hutball was my least favorite ToR map. Then again it might just be my class (IA Sniper) sucking at all PvP WZ's.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Darks63 said:
Huttball (both versions) in SWtor. It pops more often than the much better capture the flag WZ's and most people who in huttball don't know how to play it so it's just a giant mosh pit of people fighting without direction. Also the few people who understand rage at others in chat the whole time. Those same people then do dumbshit things like passing the ball to people who are under focus fire and then complain that they didn't pass the ball. It pretty much broke my desire to pvp in SWtor along with the arcadey nature of the pvp and the lack of the holy trinity for target prioritizing.
Huttball will stand the test of time of the laziest and worst PVP map of all time. Its basically box with a bunch of symmetrical elevation points and low points...that map would have gotten an F- at Full Sail University, but somehow from BioWare its considered acceptable.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Why the hell was DM-Rankin so popular in UT2004? It's such a stupid, boring map yet every other server was DM-Rankin 24/7. Gah!

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Operation Metro.

Fuck Operation Metro, it's a dull siege at B every time. Needed at least two more routes into and out of B on each side.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Alterac Valley. I played Alliance and that battleground sucked ass. Ether you all zerged and the Alliance won or you turreted and the Hord won.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Eddie the head said:
Alterac Valley. I played Alliance and that battleground sucked ass. Ether you all zerged and the Alliance won or you turreted and the Hord won.
Alterac Valley was amazing back in ye olden days when it was as much PvE focused as it was PvP. Recruiting gryphon riders and cavalry charges to try and break through the others sides defenses, maybe even summoning one of the two big raid bosses to smash through the other side. That stuff was amazing! It actually felt like a battleground.

Unfortunately as I understand it that's no longer the case and the place was changed drastically to make it faster. Pity.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Two maps stand out for me. Both of these had loads of servers that just ran this one map 24/7, and they were usually pretty full.

Unreal Tournament (99) - CTF-Face. Two words: spawn sniping. Putting the spawn points in direct line of sight of the enemy team's tower was a horrible design decision. It leads to a frustrating sequence of die, respawn, instantly head shotted, respawn, try to dodge, take two body shots, die, respawn, continue until ragequit. Okay that was more than 2 words, but seriously I'm still annoyed by it more than 15 years later.

Team Fortress 2 - CTF-2Fort. Every time I played this map, it didn't feel like a CTF map. It felt like a Deathmatch in the midfield. I suppose you could argue its the fault of the players who ignored the objective, but I think it was also poor map design. There were only 2 routes between the bases - high or low - and you could pretty much lock them both down from the same place so in effect it was just one big chokepoint.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
The Depths in Dark Souls. I know it isn't technically a PvP map as such, but it's a terrible place to fight anything, especially other players. It's labyrinthine and claustrophobic, and you can spend 10 minutes just trying to find each other.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Duster said:
For me it was blood gulch, from halo ce

Yeah it's a classic but it was a horrible map. People would teamkill you for the sniper. Guy who got in the banshee was literally a god and would topfrag for the rest of the round. Everybody else was just peasants that fought over power ups and vehicles while they get picked off by people with better spawns who got the items. The movement speed in the game was incredibly low so you had to shuffle through the open and just hope somebody with a vehicle, sniper, banshee, or plasma artillery wouldn't indulge in a freekill.

http://i.imgur.com/ue4QvBC.jpg
Goddamn, you brought back some old anger issues with this man. Yes, this map was horrible.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Battlefield 2142 - Camp Gibraltar
Halo 2 - Waterworks
Mechwarrior Online - Terra Therma (that said, we have no control over the maps we play on)

I'm sure there are more egregious examples of horrible geographical arrangements in PvP multiplayer games, but that's all I've got right now.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
The "Defense of the Ancients" map. How the map remained the same after 12 years baffles me.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Duster said:
Yeah it's a classic but it was a horrible map.
No, you were playing with terrible people! Blood Gulch is almost the perfect CTF map, subsequent versions have never been quite as good. Although you have a point on Banshees being somehwat OP on the map, a good Hog team can keep them in their place easy.

GloatingSwine said:
Operation Metro.

Fuck Operation Metro, it's a dull siege at B every time. Needed at least two more routes into and out of B on each side.
Oh God yes, it would have been better with an upstairs route or if it used the full length of the map including the first section from Rush. Three points and one massive choke point are good for spam only, but it's the most played map on BF3!

Speaking of which, Noshar Canals conquest, the spawns favour the US team, whilst the Russians can get spawn camped.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
All I can say is final destination. In my opinion one of the reasons that Smash Bros. is more engaging than your standard fighting game are the stages. They're dynamic and make position, mobility, and kiting important. But what is the go to stage in the game? The most boring one they could come up with, Final Destination.