What are you currently playing?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
As mentioned before, I went back to an old save of Horizon: Zero Dawn, and was a little surprised by how much I had done. Needed a while to get used to the controls (because Ghost of Tsushima had to be different), but got my bearings story-wise relatively quickly. OK so far, just as pretty as I remember it. -.-

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So I started Final Fantasy 7: Remake on Monday and so far I'm loving it. Disclaimer, I have no real history of the Final Fantasy series. I played FF Tactics on the GBA, I played up to the open world bit of FF13 before realising that I was so bored and hated all the characters with a burning passion. I did play a bit of the original FF7 on PS3 but didn't really get on with it. And I have FF15 in my backlog somewhere, I picked that up last year and never started it.

So, I have no nostalgia for the original, this is all new to me. This game is absolutely gorgeous, one of the best looking PS4 games I've seen, the explosion of the Mako Reactor looked absolutely stunning. It doesn't always look great, the NPC's certainly less detailed than the main characters or the environment that surrounds them. The music is pretty and the combat is satisfying and crunchy. I like that you have to use all the weapons that you come across so that you can learn new skills, even if its worse than the one you're using. So far, the story mainly makes sense. Though, there is a terrorist attack and no one seems suspicious of the heavily armed group just wandering around the area. Mind you, would you confront the guy with a minigun for an arm. Every single female character wants to sleep with Cloud, despite him communicating mainly in grunts and demands for money. Though his first meeting with Aerith did make me laugh. Barratt seems to be auditioning for a Captain Planet remake, while Tifa with her exaggerated arm movements clearly wants to be a Power Ranger. But yeah, so far I'm enjoying it. We will see what happens next.

Before that I was playing Spider-Man: Miles Morales. I really enjoyed this too, it was like the orginal Spider-Man game, just more of it. Though you can tell this was meant to be a PS5 game as on the PS4 it is buggy as hell with texture pop ins, sound drop outs, glitches, freezes and good old crashes. But it was good fun like I say. Though it did amuse me that that they put a Black Lives Matter moment in there is a game which spends 98% of its time beating up and trying to kill its black main character. Also, it looks like an easy platinum so I will, ahem, swing back around to this at some point to get that.
Is FF7 remake getting ported to PC at some point?

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Those guys you run straight through the body with a sword? They're fine. The guys whose gun you take and then shoot them in the chest with at point blank range? They're fine. The dudes you smack upside the head with a huge ass overhead swing from a mallet, hitting so hard they slam headfirst into the ground? They're fine. The bloke you throw off a container on a flatbed who ends getting run over by the truck's real wheels? He's fine. Walked it off. I mean, he kind of had to, to get off the road. Yeah, it's kind of a running joke, and there are still plenty goofy heat actions, but some of the finishers in this game come off particularly vicious compared to the other 2 game I've played. Maybe it's the visual upgrade.
One of the most unintentially hilarious moments I encountered in a Yakuza game was in 4. There was a dude on a rooftop who was contemplating suicide by jumping. The player character tries to reason with him but it just pisses him off and he starts fighting you. I then proceeded to perform the heat move where you throw someone off a building. Next thing you know he's back on the roof and thanking me for convincing him not to jump off.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Riven: We've managed to get through most of the game so far and we're ready for the finale. Which happens to be about the one thing that my parents do remember from prior experience, which actually isn't a bad thing in this case, considering just how many ways there are to get a bad ending and exactly one to get the good one.

Persona 5 Royal: 7th Palace finished. Preparing to enter the 8th now, which is the 'endgame' content. The third semester, as far as I'm concerned from here, is effectively postgame content. Still looking forward to it, though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My girlfriend blindsided me and got me God of War instead of Spider-man like I was expecting. I don't mind at all, but then I just saw a listing online selling GoW and Horizon Zero Dawn for 12 dollars. And pretty much every Spider-man copy I've seen online goes for 20. Oh well, I'm just excited to be playing vidya gamez again.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My girlfriend blindsided me and got me God of War instead of Spider-man like I was expecting. I don't mind at all, but then I just saw a listing online selling GoW and Horizon Zero Dawn for 12 dollars. And pretty much every Spider-man copy I've seen online goes for 20. Oh well, I'm just excited to be playing vidya gamez again.
Enjoy, it's a really good game in my opinion. Hope you haven't been spoiled too much given how much discussion about that game has been tossed about for the last few years since it's release.

Also the Spiderman games, both Peter and Miles, are equally good too, and I would recommend those when your budget allows. Very fun, and good for spectators, my wife loved watching me play all 3 of those titles.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Probably but it won't be any time soon, FF15 came out in 2016 and was porter in 2018, so you're looking at the same window.
As I recall its on a one year exclusive with Sony right now, so I guess the earliest it could happen is sometime this year. Add the fact that I'm sure the relevant teams are currently working on Part 2 right now, and I'm guessing there is limited available workforce remaining to put to any porting efforts unless they farm it out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hotline Miami

Lots of fun. It's the finest trial and error gameplay I can think of: levels are small, every floor gets a checkpoint, there's no score penalty for dying and you could reload 50 times before you finished reading this sentence. So the trial and error loop keeps you pumped up and I think gets you to the zen point of murdering everybody without missing a beat rather satisfyingly. You die in one hit, but then so does everybody, so fair is fair. There's not much to the story beyond giving some context to the action but I think downtime is used effectively to give (or muddle) meaning to your actions and the overall crazed atmosphere and encroaching madness is rather well played. Reminds me a bit of Killer7. Presentation is great, VHS filters, neon lights et al. And the synthwave/trip hop soundtrack is fantastic.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Hotline Miami

Lots of fun. It's the finest trial and error gameplay I can think of: levels are small, every floor gets a checkpoint, there's no score penalty for dying and you could reload 50 times before you finished reading this sentence. So the trial and error loop keeps you pumped up and I think gets you to the zen point of murdering everybody without missing a beat rather satisfyingly. You die in one hit, but then so does everybody, so fair is fair. There's not much to the story beyond giving some context to the action but I think downtime is used effectively to give (or muddle) meaning to your actions and the overall crazed atmosphere and encroaching madness is rather well played. Reminds me a bit of Killer7. Presentation is great, VHS filters, neon lights et al. And the synthwave/trip hop soundtrack is fantastic.
If you like "trial and error gameplay" , then I'd suggest Ghostrunner. I've often called it "Hotline Miami meets Mirror's Edge" fast, brutal, bloody combat, that ends with one hit on you, but you restart right outside the fight and do it again. Couple it with parkour stuff, and some sexy synthwave tracks, it's just delicious for me.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hotline Miami

Play Hong Kong Massacre as well. You will love it. I don't recommend Hotline Miami 2. There is a lot more fake difficulty involved.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Hotline Miami

Ever played Katana Zero? It's pretty obviously Hotline Miami-inspired, but I feel like it handles quite a few things better than Hotline Miami does, and it has one of the best dialogue mechanics I've ever seen in a game. That, and you can reflect bullets with a sword, and if you're good enough you don't even need bullet time to do it, which I think is a really great way to handle it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ever played Katana Zero? It's pretty obviously Hotline Miami-inspired, but I feel like it handles quite a few things better than Hotline Miami does, and it has one of the best dialogue mechanics I've ever seen in a game. That, and you can reflect bullets with a sword, and if you're good enough you don't even need bullet time to do it, which I think is a really great way to handle it.
I get paid tomorrow, so I'll pick it up after work.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Enjoy, it's a really good game in my opinion. Hope you haven't been spoiled too much given how much discussion about that game has been tossed about for the last few years since it's release.

Also the Spiderman games, both Peter and Miles, are equally good too, and I would recommend those when your budget allows. Very fun, and good for spectators, my wife loved watching me play all 3 of those titles.
Well, I think I've seen pretty much every important story beat from the game. But that's fine, I just really want to play something.

And I definitely plan to get the Spider-man games, but I might as well finish GoW since Spider-man can only depreciate in value.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Still Hades. 40 deaths in. Made it to Hades twice. Cheating bugger, got him down to zero health and he refills it! But good lord those last chambers are hard! Some of the enemy attacks are almost unfairly hard, like the stupid snake statues that fill half the screen with laser beams constantly. I picked a skull door to see what would happen one time and died in 5 seconds to some Satyr miniboss at the end.

Only thing I don't like is that enemies always spawn in waves. Just makes rooms take longer than they otherwise would when there's always, always more spawning in.

Also, it kind of sucks that you need to replay the beginning stages every time when the difficulty ramps up to insane levels in comparison in the last ones. Just kind of a waste of time, because I'm pretty much not going to die before the minotaur anymore. Such is the way with roguelikes, though. But what I like about Nethack is that the game is mostly top loaded with difficulty. If you can make it past the early stages of Nethack, you can usually go all the way and win if you know what you are doing. Although, Hades is a much shorter game than Nethack.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Still Hades. 40 deaths in. Made it to Hades twice. Cheating bugger, got him down to zero health and he refills it! But good lord those last chambers are hard! Some of the enemy attacks are almost unfairly hard, like the stupid snake statues that fill half the screen with laser beams constantly. I picked a skull door to see what would happen one time and died in 5 seconds to some Satyr miniboss at the end.

Only thing I don't like is that enemies always spawn in waves. Just makes rooms take longer than they otherwise would when there's always, always more spawning in.

Also, it kind of sucks that you need to replay the beginning stages every time when the difficulty ramps up to insane levels in comparison in the last ones. Just kind of a waste of time, because I'm pretty much not going to die before the minotaur anymore. Such is the way with roguelikes, though. But what I like about Nethack is that the game is mostly top loaded with difficulty. If you can make it past the early stages of Nethack, you can usually go all the way and win if you know what you are doing. Although, Hades is a much shorter game than Nethack.
You can always hide behind pillar for those snake statue, it may be important later on. imo Elysium is harder than the last stage, if I get unlucky and get nothing good for my build Elysium is where I fail, but if I make it past I'll at least reach the final boss every time.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
If you like "trial and error gameplay" , then I'd suggest Ghostrunner. I've often called it "Hotline Miami meets Mirror's Edge" fast, brutal, bloody combat, that ends with one hit on you, but you restart right outside the fight and do it again. Couple it with parkour stuff, and some sexy synthwave tracks, it's just delicious for me.
Second this.

Ghostrunner has a demo on steam. Play it, it's awesome.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Second this.

Ghostrunner has a demo on steam. Play it, it's awesome.
Yeah it's pretty much my personal GOTY from 2020. Had so much fun playing it, and playing it again...and again...and again. I pull up the soundtrack and just listen to it as background music, and when certain tracks come on, and I remember the stages, I sort of smile to myself about it. It reinvigorated my cyberpunk genre love, had a fun script that was far more clever than you'd think it would be, given how minimalist it is. Good characterization with minimal content, good level designs, fun battles, lots of variety on how to approach the challenges, especially when you learn the clearly labeled path isn't the only one you can take a lot of the time. Just, really damn fun.