What are you currently playing?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
War Thunder. Horrible game, but has almost no competition as a combined arms game.

The devs don't know what they are doing. The newest country always gets more OP vehicles. The newest premium vehicles are also very OP. It pretends to be realistic but to give you an example the

Challenger 2 tank. It literally goes very slow in the game due to low horsepower, but in real life, this is neglected by technology inside it.

Also HEAT, and HE is nerfed while APCR shells aren't, and guess who has lots of them... Russia.

But the funny thing is US, and UK players are actually more competent than Russian, and German players.. despite having bad tanks, and planes, and attack helicopters.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Just finished the story missions of Age of Calamity. Now going through the "after" content.

It was fun, though I think we got a teeeeeeny tiny bit too powerful for the story line on normal difficulty. It was very easy. Which, I mean that's fine, I'm not a masochist like all those weirdos who play From Soft and keep screaming "thank you daddy please kill me again", I'm mainly there for the story, but it was noticeable how little of an actual threat the fight was.

Not really sure how to rate difficulty in that game. I mean we even bumped up the difficulty to hard at one point to test it out on one of our farming maps, and I saw no difference at all. No reduced timer, no noticeable increase in lethality or survivability of enemies. Maybe we were still so high level compared to it, that even Hard mode wasn't a challenge but, yeah it felt exactly the same.

Otherwise, it was a fun game. The wife and I had fun adlibbing new dialogue into the game, given how often people just grunt or gasp, and say nothing, but then look into the middle distance for a long stretch of time. Definitely enjoyable, and it's reminded me how much fun I had playing Dynasty Warrior games. The frame rate when lots of shit is going on got ridiculous though. It felt REALLY unoptimized for the Switch.

On that topic, anyone have suggestions of good Dynasty Warriors games, preferably for the PS 4, though I guess Switch if necessary (though I fear it's framerate problem might persist)? I know the series has some stinkers from what I've heard, but I really enjoy the large map, open battle, charge into ranks of enemies setup of it. I also like working with the wifey to split up and take on the objectives. And I'd like to do some more.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I tried Huniepop out for a bit because I've heard a bunch of people say it was really good. Even Shamus Young made a post talking about how he liked it. I uninstalled it after 40 minutes. It's just match 3, nothing more interesting than that. Also the premise of going out to 'pick up chicks' and then stalking them with your phone is just skeevy. It's very Man Enough in it's premise. Maybe it's because I have no interest in dating or relationships, but all of the dialogue choices were very cringy and uncomfortable to pick, except for the "stay at home and play video games" one which the fairy wouldn't accept. The characters were all very cliche also.

I may have been alone for a very long time, but I'm not nearly desperate enough to want to play this game any more.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nioh. I never gave the lore in Souls/Bloodborne much thought since most of it boils down to cryptic nonsense but I have to credit the games for at least pulling off the atmosphere and drawing you into the world. Nioh's story on the other hand just does nothing for me, and I don't get a sense of engrossing world but just one of playing a (very) Japanese game. The exaggerated anime characters clash horribly with the dark n gritty environments, everyone looks like they're cosplaying and the screen is too cluttered with HUDs, particle effects and "damage just dealt" numbers. Everything just takes me out of the game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
War Thunder. Horrible game, but has almost no competition as a combined arms game.
The only other thing I can think of is "Wargame:Airland War", but I haven't played it so I can't comment on quality.

Or if you want to play something a bit older, the Steel Panthers games, which are turned based but fairly robust and customizable. I remember having a lot of fun with it back in the day even if it might feel a bit antiquated by today's standards.

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
On that topic, anyone have suggestions of good Dynasty Warriors games, preferably for the PS 4, though I guess Switch if necessary (though I fear it's framerate problem might persist)? I know the series has some stinkers from what I've heard, but I really enjoy the large map, open battle, charge into ranks of enemies setup of it. I also like working with the wifey to split up and take on the objectives. And I'd like to do some more.
I don't know if it has split-screen co-op (ETA: just Googled it, it does), but as far as I know, the generally accepted best of the 8th generation is Dynasty Warriors 8. That's definitely available on PS4; look for the 'Xtreme Legends Complete Edition'. If you liked Age of Calamity's DW/Musou elements, you'll probably like that one too. I played a little bit of it myself, but I didn't quite manage to get into it; maybe I'll retry it sometime, or look into one of the Zelda games.

Reactions: happyninja42

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not really sure how to rate difficulty in that game. I mean we even bumped up the difficulty to hard at one point to test it out on one of our farming maps, and I saw no difference at all. No reduced timer, no noticeable increase in lethality or survivability of enemies. Maybe we were still so high level compared to it, that even Hard mode wasn't a challenge but, yeah it felt exactly the same.
Very Hard Mode is where it gets really bad. Everything is nearly a damage sponge, and everyone does double the damage. You have to be at a very high level. Weapons included too.

• Dynasty Warrior 8XL Complete Edition (PS4, Switch) - I recommend the PS4 version, just cuz you can buy it physically. The Switch version is digital only, and if I remember correctly, the frame rate issue is a non problem on this version.
  • Samurai Warriors 4 (PS4) is pretty fun. Though it holds some content back with DLC, that thankfully is not part of the main story. But if this were the PS2 days, that bonus content would have already been on the disc. The special weapons you can unlock normally, but they're DLC too, along with a lot of different costumes. So beware in that regard. SW 4-II is an expansion pack that is treated as a separate game (was at a full $60), but has worse single player content, and not as interesting bonus modes. You can transfer your stats over, because of the revamped leveling system, so I don't recommend it much. I heard the Empires version is better than 4-II, but that does involve more tatics
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 & 4. I have not played them, but heard nothing, but good things. I know you're most likely not a One Piece fan though. I have not touched OP since freaking 2008.
There is also Persona 5: Strikers coming out, but that is a bonafied sequel to vanilla Persona 5, and not Royal. So if you care about story and understanding what's going on, either play P5 or watch a playthrough.

Here's a pro vs con of all of the SW4 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Lately I've gotten into Apex Legends again, although I kinda feel like I might be on my way out with that game again, we shall see. Also been doing a lot of Hades, finally finished the main story, doing runs to unlock new stuff and new dialog still now.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lately I've gotten into Apex Legends again, although I kinda feel like I might be on my way out with that game again, we shall see. Also been doing a lot of Hades, finally finished the main story, doing runs to unlock new stuff and new dialog still now.
I've never actually played AL. Is it more like Fortnite or Overwatch? I hear people talking about it, but I know nothing about it. Some clips I would see made me think like Overwatch (matched team sizes in an arena fight), but it seems bigger than that?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've never actually played AL. Is it more like Fortnite or Overwatch? I hear people talking about it, but I know nothing about it. Some clips I would see made me think like Overwatch (matched team sizes in an arena fight), but it seems bigger than that?
It's a mix of both, blend in the popular/trendy stuff for medium level success. Fortnite style survivor game in team with character based abilities.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well considering that fortnight most notable mechanic is building, I would say its not like that. Have you played any other battle royal type games? I would say this is like a streamlined PUBG, less faf to deal with and faster gameplay. You do have character abilities that do really give you some flexability in how you play and what you can do but the most important ability is still a steady aim and movement. You have generally about 60 players in a match with teams of 2 or 3 and you compete for the last team standing by running around, finding weapons/armor and upgrading them to give yourselves the best shot at victory. I tend to enjoy this type of game for a very set amount of time then I stop enjoying it and play something else for awhile.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I got this game called Blue Fire on my switch. Its got this Breath of the Wild meets Hollow Knight with a big budget Newgrounds look that I personally like.
Playing it gives me a vibe of platformers of the 6th gen feeling like a familiar forgotten friend.

Just completed Mile Morales on PS4 a nice companion piece to Spider Man and I like its a bit smaller its more digestable cause I still need to beat Spider Man.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did some play sessions of Streets of Rage 4 again. I did Claire 1st Run on Hardcore for RE2Remake. I still did not get that S+ rank, but I do not care. I played some Battle Circuit too. My favorite characters are Yellow Iris/Beast and Pink Ostrich. They have the best combo potential out of all the characters in the game. The former is a fragile speedster, and the latter is a glass cannon, but deals out critical hits.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did some more Burnout: Paradise. I got the B Class license, and boy....it's gonna be a grind to get to A Class. Gotta get 26 wins! I've already done two races, that's 24 more to go, but I am stopping for tonight. I managed to unlock about 6 cars while playing around in the open world.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Apex Legends is a battle royal, so closer to Fortnight and PUBG than something like Overwatch which is a team-based arena shooter.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I ended up grabbing Remote Life, The TakeOver, and StarWars Squadrons. So far Remote Life is interesting and Star Wars Squadrons is pretty fun, haven't tried Takeover yet.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
PLAY IT NOW!

Well, I do need something to play after doing Star Wars Squadrons in VR. Holy shit is it awesome in VR but I need to get more used too the motion since I started feeling sick, but damn its cool.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So despite what I said a few days ago, I decided to press ahead and finish my Ace Combat playthroughs by starting Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War. Partially because I'm still in the zone but also because I want to see if it adds any notable context to the whole Belkan plotline mess from AC5. And of course, I want to see if "Belka Did Nothing Wrong" is a legitimate viewpoint or the memetic version of "Stabbed in the back" and "The lost cause of the Confederacy", because AC5 didn't give me much reason to like Belka very much.

I've gotten to mission 7 or 8 and so far it's a lot like AC5 with a few changes. Notably, the Karma meter based on what targets you destroy(there are yellow targets which are considered legitimate but aren't actually threatening you or you allies. This can include enemy planes that are damaged and are disengaging from battle). Apparently this acts as a dynamic difficulty slider because boss squadrons who show up every so often will be easier or harder depending on how much of a bastard you are, aside from people treating you like a hero or an asshole. OTOH, being a total asshole and blowing up literally everything you're allowed to target(even evacuated civilian homes) earns you money a hell of a lot faster so you can just buy all the best planes much earlier(at least this time you don't have to buy planes for the entire squadron this time).

Other then that, the big differences I've noticed are that you have one wingman this time, Pixy, who is apparently your buddy(or he's your buddy. It's unclear you never talk). He always flies the same plane as far as I can tell(a much better one then you start with) but you can choose his weapon at the beginning of each mission, as well as your plane and weapon. He's also ridiculously good at this game, sometimes killing targets right before I do. Compared to the other AC games I've played, where the Wingmen half the time can't hit the broad side of a barn, this was quite shocking. It makes up for having fewer wingmen when I know Pixy can actually dependably kill stuff without my help.

Plotwise it isn't very interesting so far. You're a mercenary pilot flying for the nation of Ostio(I guess Italy?) that has been invaded by Belka, helping them push the Belkans out and now I'm to the point allied forces are pushing into Belka in response. The premise sets up that a reporter is investigating these events long after they occured but so far not much has been shown on that front, other than implying things are about to get worse now that the invasion of Belka has begun. It's all been rather grounded and clear cut so far without any of the OTT shit I've come to expect from the plots of these games, though I suspect that going to change soon enough.

I do find it amusing that when you shoot down an ace pilot you unlock a short bio you can read, mostly of what happened to them after you shot them down. It's not much but it does feel like it humanizes the faceless mooks you kill just a little bit more.

Hell, at 7-8 missions in it feels mostly easy in comparison to the last game and I haven't died once playing at the same difficulty level. I think the worst I've sweated is with the boss squadrons because none of the normal enemies are particularly difficult. Maybe it's because I'm coming off of AC5 was which notably rough in places so it feels easy right now.

Last edited:

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I've gotten to mission 7 or 8 and so far it's a lot like AC5 with a few changes. Notably, the Karma meter based on what targets you destroy(there are yellow targets which are considered legitimate but aren't actually threatening you or you allies. This can include enemy planes that are damaged and are disengaging from battle). Apparently this acts as a dynamic difficulty slider because boss squadrons who show up every so often will be easier or harder depending on how much of a bastard you are, aside from people treating you like a hero or an asshole. OTOH, being a total asshole and blowing up literally everything you're allowed to target(even evacuated civilian homes) earns you money a hell of a lot faster so you can just buy all the best planes much earlier(at least this time you don't to buy plays for the entire squadron this time).
I don't recall the difficulty changing for the Knight/Soldier/Mercenary slider, but it does effect the enemy aces that show up. The 'boss' fights in essence, when they show up there's typically a bit of a scene and it flashes their squadron name like SORCERER or whatever. Which also effects which planes get unlocked, IIRC you unlock different planes for fighting the different enemy ace groups. And I think you get different cutscenes during the ace interviews, but I'm not super sure anymore. Not all enemy aces are variable though, you get the same enemy aces for some levels regardless of you alignment.

Story-wise it's just a bit of a history lesson regarding the Belkan war that gets talked about a bunch in AC5 so it's not too interesting, but there's some nice moments here and there. I actually got bored of AC0 a few times and it took me a few tries to actually go through it all.

Reactions: Dalisclock