What are you currently playing?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
First game I picked up from the Steam summer sale, before it even technically started and Bandai-Namco were just doing their own sale, is Tales of Berseria. I'm about 4.5 hours in, haven't fought the first boss yet I think. Combat feels kinda button mashy compared to Vesperia, the Tales game I've played the most, but it's probably just that I haven't learned to do it properly yet. The story's enjoyable regardless, so being able to mash my way through random encounters isn't a huge deal-breaker.

Velvet definitely isn't my favorite protagonist, but she isn't unbearable and the rest of the party members play off of her well. And Tales is big on character development, so I'm looking forward to seeing how she ends up.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Doom Eternal next gen patch arrived yesterday, so reinstalling for testing (and hopefully completion) today. And FF7 Intergrade should be arriving through post some time later too.

Sort of rented Avengers and completed the campaign, not for lack of the main menu trying to shepherd me away from it: I accidentally started some other bullshit at least 3 times cause of that dumbass UI. Anyway, I sincerely believe it's a mortal sin for loot-based "AAA" games to not make the loot you pick up a cosmetic change to your character and weapons in any way, because it just all feels so meaningless and unrewarding when it's nothing more than a number and a half-arsed JPEG. So many missions either reward you with these numbers and JPEGs, or endless resources so you can craft more of these numbers and JPEGS... Ultimately making the experience of succeeding and receiving any reward sooo shit, why the fuck should I even bother anymore? Of course, this is pretending the game was meant to live on as something other than a workhouse vassel for a costume store. Still, there was a noticeable hint of playable fun behind these sad cynical business ploys, probably because there's a somewhat talented couple of dev studios being utterly wasted on this cash-grab bandwagon.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Still working Breath of the Wild.

After Mucking around on the Eastern half of the map I decided to head West and finally made it to the Rito village. I've also managed to unlock 3(of 4, I think) fairy fountains, but man, are those fairies getting grabby with the donations. I'm not sure why Fairies need money so badly since presumably they're in tune with nature and all that and they're not funding massive cathedrals across the planet, so I dunno. Also, are the fairies supposed to come across as creepy? Because every damn one of them, upon being awakened acts like a creeper on link. I'm literally here for business, Ma'am. Not whatever the hell you seem to be on about. Please leave me alone, okay.

It does feel like the game is getting easier, now that upgraded my armor somewhat and I'm routinely finding higher quality(if not especially durable) weapons and shields. Like I can take on groups of enemies(as long as they aren't the murder robots with insta-kill death lasers) with some confidence and win. I also found that making meals out of prime meat chunks sell for a pretty penny, which has been helping to alleviate my money issues.

So yeah, having fun and it feels like no matter where I go, I'm not wasting time and there's always something to find or do without littering the map with icons. Even the ubisoft style tower climbing isn't really bothering me, because I feel like a get a notable reward from achieving it.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Still working Breath of the Wild.

After Mucking around on the Eastern half of the map I decided to head West and finally made it to the Rito village. I've also managed to unlock 3(of 4, I think) fairy fountains, but man, are those fairies getting grabby with the donations. I'm not sure why Fairies need money so badly since presumably they're in tune with nature and all that and they're not funding massive cathedrals across the planet, so I dunno. Also, are the fairies supposed to come across as creepy? Because every damn one of them, upon being awakened acts like a creeper on link. I'm literally here for business, Ma'am. Not whatever the hell you seem to be on about. Please leave me alone, okay.
Oh you sweet summer child. The "business" you are there for, is...well...let's just say there is a reason Link is a certain size compared to those ladies. And they snatch you up and drag you down into their waters for some....quality alone time.

So yes, I don't see how it could be anything but on purpose, that they are creepy cougars, who lust after the virile young link. My head canon is he's paying for sexual favors from them, AND also getting gear upgrades.

So yeah, having fun and it feels like no matter where I go, I'm not wasting time and there's always something to find or do without littering the map with icons. Even the ubisoft style tower climbing isn't really bothering me, because I feel like a get a notable reward from achieving it.
Yeah it's a fun exploration game. I remember wandering around at night, and just randomly spotting a glowing spot on the horizon, near a mountain top. My wife and I were like "huh, that's peculiar, let's go check it out!" So we did and, it was a really neat little thing. Not going to spoil it, assuming you haven't run into it. But it was just really cool as a random event.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah it's a fun exploration game. I remember wandering around at night, and just randomly spotting a glowing spot on the horizon, near a mountain top. My wife and I were like "huh, that's peculiar, let's go check it out!" So we did and, it was a really neat little thing. Not going to spoil it, assuming you haven't run into it. But it was just really cool as a random event.
I've seen the blue glowy thing on the horizon but I haven't been close enough to go check it out yet but I'm looking forward to it. I do like the fact you can use your scope to mark things on the horizon and then set a stamp so you can find them later. Unlocking the map via the towers is nice but you still need to actually read the map to find some things. Gives you a good incentive to climb to high places to scope out the path ahead, find the towers, shrines, etc. I also appreciate how the towers/ shrines tend to be close to things like fairy fountains, stables and towns.

Basically it's nicely playing into my enjoying of wandering off and finding stuff. Not handholdy but also not so obtuse you have to consult a guide to find shit. Though I've got my scanner set to "Treasure chests" and while that thing beeps all the time I swear I'm bad at locating them. Like they go off around stables and I cannot find where the hell they are, unless they're on top of the horse head or something and I have no idea how to get up there.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I've seen the blue glowy thing on the horizon but I haven't been close enough to go check it out yet but I'm looking forward to it. I do like the fact you can use your scope to mark things on the horizon and then set a stamp so you can find them later. Unlocking the map via the towers is nice but you still need to actually read the map to find some things. Gives you a good incentive to climb to high places to scope out the path ahead, find the towers, shrines, etc. I also appreciate how the towers/ shrines tend to be close to things like fairy fountains, stables and towns.

Basically it's nicely playing into my enjoying of wandering off and finding stuff. Not handholdy but also not so obtuse you have to consult a guide to find shit. Though I've got my scanner set to "Treasure chests" and while that thing beeps all the time I swear I'm bad at locating them. Like they go off around stables and I cannot find where the hell they are, unless they're on top of the horse head or something and I have no idea how to get up there.
I've found that with a little trying, the horses heads are pretty easy to climb. I've only ever found one thing of note at the top though, there was a Kurok hidden on one the horses noses. Also, if you feed enough meat to the dog that usually hanging around a stable, it will lead you to a chest hidden in the ground.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I've found that with a little trying, the horses heads are pretty easy to climb. I've only ever found one thing of note at the top though, there was a Kurok hidden on one the horses noses. Also, if you feed enough meat to the dog that usually hanging around a stable, it will lead you to a chest hidden in the ground.
I did not know you could feed the dogs. I tried interacting with one or two but didn't see a prompt so I figured I couldn't do anything with them and never heard it mentioned by anyone before now that you could feed them. Have to check that out.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Finally beat a Headless! Sad thing is I didn’t even need the skills or tool upgrade I’d thought I would. Maybe my attack power was just a bit better enough to overwhelm before succumbing to the terror. I’m sure as some masochistic challenge someone has beaten them even without confetti but regardless I’d consider this miniboss one of the toughest in the game. I’ll probably continue my Headless hunt in their other locations before returning to Hirata Estate where Owl’s memory - and I’m sure a couple other surprises - awaits.

Then I’ll head back to finish up in Fountainhead as it sounds like there is a critical boss at the end. Then there is a thing about a demon who I take it won’t be greeting me with sunshine and rainbows.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Heh, yeah, the radar beeping can be annoying depending on what you are looking for. I usually had it set to find shrines. But yeah, the exploration of that game was really spot on. The fact that you can climb pretty much any surface, if you have enough stamina, really opened the gates for blazing your own trail. I focused on boosting stamina really early on, and getting climbing clothes, so I would often just bypass fights, by just looking around, spotting a ledge and going "...I can probably just shimmy up that and climb across that ledge, and then glide down the other side, and avoid that fight all together" and I usually could! It was so much fun to just pick a route and go "Yeah I can climb that probably. I've got enough snacks to keep going." And just, scale a mountain. :LOL:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I beat Destroy Man a couple of nights ago. Now I have to grind my way to Holly Summers. I'll play some more later tonight after work.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I beat Destroy Man a couple of nights ago. Now I have to grind my way to Holly Summers. I'll play some more later tonight after work.
....I think it says a lot about me, that I visualized "grind my way to Holly Summers" as you working your way across a dance floor at some lady, and began to booty clap in front of her, in a failed attempt at a mating ritual.

Something like this

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finally beat Noita legit without save scums... twice in a row. The game is substantially easier once you really understand wand building. It's just a shame the game makes it so difficult to learn it by punishing experimentation so heavily.

I might play it a little more still, but I think I'm going to go back to Enter the Gungeon for a bit. I never did beat that one either. Gonna try it with mouse and keyboard rather than controller this time, see if I can actually make it to the final level even.

Reactions: EvilRoy

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Heh, yeah, the radar beeping can be annoying depending on what you are looking for. I usually had it set to find shrines. But yeah, the exploration of that game was really spot on. The fact that you can climb pretty much any surface, if you have enough stamina, really opened the gates for blazing your own trail. I focused on boosting stamina really early on, and getting climbing clothes, so I would often just bypass fights, by just looking around, spotting a ledge and going "...I can probably just shimmy up that and climb across that ledge, and then glide down the other side, and avoid that fight all together" and I usually could! It was so much fun to just pick a route and go "Yeah I can climb that probably. I've got enough snacks to keep going." And just, scale a mountain. :LOL:
I've reached some of the towers on top of moutains by climbing up the sides to avoid the monsters on the path. Especially in Akkala which has the damn helicopter drone guardians(Seriously, they get helicopter drones now?). It also has the added bonus of making me feel like Solid Snake climbing up the cliff.

And no, I wasn't singing "Snake Eater" while doing it. YOU CAN'T PROVE I DID!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I've reached some of the towers on top of moutains by climbing up the sides to avoid the monsters on the path. Especially in Akkala which has the damn helicopter drone guardians(Seriously, they get helicopter drones now?). It also has the added bonus of making me feel like Solid Snake climbing up the cliff.

And no, I wasn't singing "Snake Eater" while doing it. YOU CAN'T PROVE I DID!
I didn't play those games beyond MGS2, and realized Kojima is a fucking lunatic, and I wanted nothing else to do with his work. So you can say you sang snake eater all you want :LOL: I won't judge you

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Just finished Disco Elysium.

Absolutely loved the game, but the reasoning behind that feeling is primarily based around the strangest thing that I've ever put at the top of any "reasons why this is awesome" list I've ever made. The skill portraits are fantastic. Made even better by the fact that they interact with you in speech so you can feel the personality of each skill as you play the game. Inland Empire so readily evokes the feeling of an internal world to me just by looking at it, Authority really brings across the feeling of the word, and just by looking at the images of Half Light and Physical Instrument I knew immediately what the concept was despite not really knowing what it "meant" on deciding a character setup. Some of the portraits wander a little into creepy, (Savoir Faire and Hand Eye) but I still knew exactly what they would do for me just by looking.

The other part of this was how well the skills interact in the game, in logical and illogical ways more or less how you would expect someone to act - particularly someone coming off an extreme bender. Authority wants people to bow down, Half Light sizes up an enemy and knows you'll get your ass kicked so tells Authority to shut up, Logic starts digging for alternate solutions and Suggestion offers a method of convincing the other person that a fight isn't necessary. Where it gets really interesting is when you over-level a given skill. All the sudden Encyclopedia keeps spitting random facts at you in the middle of conversations, or Endurance starts getting really masochistic and tries to convince you to eat damage just to prove you can.

The game is on a bit of a timer which I wasn't in love with, but they do it in an interesting way and its pretty clear that the developers designed the time limit around getting 90-100% of everything done before the clock is up so it doesn't end up being too much of a stressor. Basically, time only passes when you're reading or talking. It barely moves when you're just walking around, so you can explore to your hearts content and as long as you don't talk to anyone you don't have to worry about burning all your time. There's some amount of stuff to find but its a point and click adventure, not Skyrim, so there's really only so much you're gonna find.

I found the plot to be pretty engaging, as it goes from "why is this a mystery" to "will I ever meet someone honest" to "maybe aliens did it" in a matter of days. I'll spoil it and say that it wasn't aliens, but they were on my list at some point, right beside Communists, a cryptid, and a cursed commercial building. At the start I basically decided that the proposed solution must be bullshit because otherwise the game would be over in like an hour, but it turned out to have real logical connections spun into a web of lies that stretches all over town. You're a cop in a town that does not have cops, so nobody trusts you, nobody wants to talk to you, and you're very much on your own so the story has more to do with experiencing a very interesting fictional world while playing whack a mole with lies than it does with trying to Sherlock deduce your way to a solution. Politics are very much a part of the game, but its tough for me to say how much my reactions shaped what I was shown just based on the fact that otherwise the opinions of the developers would appear to very much align with my own which would be unexpected.

The actual game system is punishingly slim - more or less a modified DnD system (I want to say Pathfinder but that might be off) that basically has no combat. You have skills that will set off passive checks at times, and active checks that involve a dice roll + modifier vs difficulty will also happen. Mostly these are for arguments where your ability to bullshit someone, threaten them, dominate them, etc effects the outcome - but sometimes its just like "are you dexterous enough to touch this without knocking shit everywhere". I was basically fine with this because yeah you'll brain fart and miss a roll and not make a connection, or you'll fumble a boule into the sea, and that's annoying but fundamentally its an interactive self lead story with a lot of depth and paths rather than a Fallout style roaming game so it makes sense that the game needs to be guided with little luck and your own skill choices.

I hear this was a really successful game for the studio, and I'm happy to hear that. Hopefully they make another point and click sometime - its a very underserved genre these days.

Right now? Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3

Me and pudgy Stephen Curry are currently hamming it up and battling our way through the Empire and the Allies as the new Communist world order. George Takei had better watch his ass.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Finally beat Noita legit without save scums... twice in a row. The game is substantially easier once you really understand wand building. It's just a shame the game makes it so difficult to learn it by punishing experimentation so heavily.

I might play it a little more still, but I think I'm going to go back to Enter the Gungeon for a bit. I never did beat that one either. Gonna try it with mouse and keyboard rather than controller this time, see if I can actually make it to the final level even.
So I looked up Noita out of curiosity, and gotta say it looks really fucking interesting. Like, basically it’s a pixel version of what I’ve been dreaming about from modern game worlds. Definitely going on my wishlist, roguelite or not.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I didn't play those games beyond MGS2, and realized Kojima is a fucking lunatic, and I wanted nothing else to do with his work. So you can say you sang snake eater all you want :LOL: I won't judge you
I totally understand your feelings on Kojima. He's up his own ass like 75% of the time and it's not subtle at all. MGS3 was did manage to be a hell of a lot more coherent and poignant then MGS2, like someone was there to slap him with a rolled up newspaper every so often when making 3. Sadly that person was gone by MGS4 which is why that game is basically Kojima wanking all over the place and by god does the game suffer for it.

Sometimes he pulls out something amazing, but more and more it felt like he got lost up his own ass as time went on. Like having to listen to Skullface ramble in the back of a jeep for 5 minutes about nothing that fucking matters(and Snake doesn't fucking care), and of course, the twist that could have been far more interesting then it actually ends up being.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Doom Eternal next gen patch arrived yesterday, so reinstalling for testing (and hopefully completion) today. And FF7 Intergrade should be arriving through post some time later too.
Scrap that. Bethesda didn't put any cross-save functionality in Doom Eternal for muggins here to use their sacred PS4 game file of stressful hard work on the PS5 version, which I should've looked up online before downloading both versions to find out, but oh well! On to FF7 interbreed till patched it is then.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I totally understand your feelings on Kojima. He's up his own ass like 75% of the time and it's not subtle at all. MGS3 was did manage to be a hell of a lot more coherent and poignant then MGS2, like someone was there to slap him with a rolled up newspaper every so often when making 3. Sadly that person was gone by MGS4 which is why that game is basically Kojima wanking all over the place and by god does the game suffer for it.

Sometimes he pulls out something amazing, but more and more it felt like he got lost up his own ass as time went on. Like having to listen to Skullface ramble in the back of a jeep for 5 minutes about nothing that fucking matters(and Snake doesn't fucking care), and of course, the twist that could have been far more interesting then it actually ends up being.
I’ve posted this on the older forum I think but worth a revisit for context -

It’s a mess all things considered but those first couple chapters were some of the best in the stealth genre let alone series. I think Kojima wound up a victim of his own success and ambition with MGS. All the tonal stuff that might’ve gotten lost in translation didn’t help things either.

It also doesn’t help that it takes youtubers to dissect everything. This was a good take on MGSV though FWIW -

The reception of Death Stranding also seems to prove he needs someone to keep him in check every so often.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn't play those games beyond MGS2, and realized Kojima is a fucking lunatic, and I wanted nothing else to do with his work.
Back when I was 12, I thought he was a little loopy and eccentric., but I did not realize he was full bore crazy until watching a playthrough of MGS4 back in 2007 at the age of 18. When I was in college.

You have point, but he was more or less 100% about what would happen with the internet in the future. People spent too much time bitching and moaning about not being able to play or be Solid Snake. Constantly hating on Raiden and making fun of him, because they were him. I was one of the few defenders of Raiden at the time before it came popular to actually like him. Critics on the other hand were actually loving MGS2 and giving proper credit for making gamers think, even if done in a weird way. Which while new at the time and unique, has become normalized for the most part.

Metal Gear Rising is my favorite game, because while wacky, does not go up its own ass. Yet still has a clear and solid message with out going overboard.

Last edited: