What are you currently playing?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've heard this brought up from a couple other places too. P5 allows you to date children, adults and numerous people at once, but a boy? No, that's weird!

Oh Japan., where borderline(and sometimes actual) pedophila is fine but homosexuality is gross.
I don't think Japan is okay with any of it, P5 is simply catered toward the straight japanese male. And putting real world things in it, like gay characters who aren't abussive clowns (remember that scene with Ryuji) might scare them off. Japan has tons of gay stuff geared toward women... with the whole abussive relationship angle. *sigh*

Reactions: Dalisclock

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I have been playing a game called Turmoil on the Switch. A highly addictive little indie game where the object is to mine oil. And that's it. Well not quite, there are other little objectives like becoming the Mayor of the Wild West town you are based in and maybe finding the artifacts so that you can unlock the island with so much oil in it.

The way you mine oil is by first buying a plot of land and then going out to it to mine it. You find the oil in the ground by sending out dowsers to find pocks of oil. You can also send out moles in the hope of them finding oil randomly or doing scans. Though all of this costs money and your starting sum of $2000 dollars doesn't go far and you need some of that to put down oil rigs and buy horses to transport the oil. Once you have struck oil, you can send your oil to be sold at either the Left or Right Oil Refineries, preferably whichever is offering the best price. Then as you start earning money, you can upgrade your operation with bigger pipes and better horses. It can get quite hectic when everything is in full swing and you're balancing trying not to get fined for oil spillages, getting the best price and trying to get pipes into that new pocket of oil that you've just found.

I say with no hesitation that this is the most fun I've had with a game all year. I've been struggling to stick with anything for any amount of time recently, but this has that "one more level" thing going for it as you want to see what the next piece of land has to offer you. Honestly, you play this for long enough and you will start seeing pockets of oil and pipes when you close your eyes.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Apparently there's also a mini-game you run a Hostess club as well and have to learn a bunch of hand signals.
Aye, while I don't think I've got to that part yet, the game does appear to foreshadow these activities with minimal subtlety. I've also just stumbled upon the game showing me I can indulge my newfound tory landlord wealth on sweaty poorly-animated underground "cat" fights. It's overall a very horny game with a protagonist trying to pretend it isn't. Oh Japan, time for your daily medication again...
ezgif.com-gif-maker-102.jpg

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I think you need an upgrade chimp.
Nah, I'm good. Got beefy pc. Only reason I'm emulating is because I'm too lazy to go pick up get my PS3 from my gfs apartment. Also because I can run it at 5K (and 60fps if I want, but that tends to cause crashes)

Tho had originally planned to get a PS5 and pick up some PS4 exclusives on the cheap, or maybe PS4 if it got a juicy price drop, but then the pandemic and chip shortages happened. PS5 nigh impossible to get at retail here, and that PS4 price drop never materialized (and also completely sold out)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Nah, I'm good. Got beefy pc. Only reason I'm emulating is because I'm too lazy to go pick up get my PS3 from my gfs apartment. Also because I can run it at 5K (and 60fps if I want, but that tends to cause crashes)

Tho had originally planned to get a PS5 and pick up some PS4 exclusives on the cheap, or maybe PS4 if it got a juicy price drop, but then the pandemic and chip shortages happened. PS5 nigh impossible to get at retail here, and that PS4 price drop never materialized (and also completely sold out)
Maybe they'll port P% to PC like they did with P4...though it might take a decade.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Well the matrix unreal 5 showcase is now functional. And it's...slightly more than expected tbf. A sizeable chunk of New York is handed out to drive or run about in, while fiddling with various tech settings. Cars have fairly good damage, though the nature of it being a demo means it still feels rather icky to actually play. Car handling and walking about feels bleh, your fly mode is just a camera mode, and the frame rate is capped at 30. But it is free, so can't complain really. An alright action scene is provided at the start at least. Tbh though it just makes me wanna go and play the Spidermens again.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Playing Hyper Light Drifter again for the first time in years. Decided to start over because I couldn't remember much of what I was doing and this way I might haver a better chance of finding all the gearbits(money). It's still gorgeous and has that whole beautiful desolation scenery I love in the Souls games which is one of it's major assets, but it does play nicely to boot. Not a true metriodvania because the areas don't cross over(the Mountains don't connect to the Water area except through the hub town for example) but new passages do open up as you explore the areas. It also autosaves a lot so you don't lose a ton of progress if(when) you die, but the combat encounters can be brutal so there's a reason for that.

Feels really good though and I get this big Studio Ghibli meets Dark Souls vibe from it(and if that sounds weird, it is but it doesn't make it less true). How everything looks bright and pretty, all the better to see the slaughtered native people of the region whose genocide you apparently just missed. So you know, charming /s

I was inspired to jump back into the game by this video, which reminded me of how much I enjoyed playing it before that stupid cat boss stopped me from finishing the game.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Playing Hyper Light Drifter again for the first time in years. Decided to start over because I couldn't remember much of what I was doing and this way I might haver a better chance of finding all the gearbits(money). It's still gorgeous and has that whole beautiful desolation scenery I love in the Souls games which is one of it's major assets, but it does play nicely to boot. Not a true metriodvania because the areas don't cross over(the Mountains don't connect to the Water area except through the hub town for example) but new passages do open up as you explore the areas. It also autosaves a lot so you don't lose a ton of progress if(when) you die, but the combat encounters can be brutal so there's a reason for that.
Maybe I should try that again. I mean I love the visual design of it, but something about it just didn't click for me before.

I'm playing Halo Campaign, so far pretty cool, plays really well, story is... well, its a story.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Aye, while I don't think I've got to that part yet, the game does appear to foreshadow these activities with minimal subtlety. I've also just stumbled upon the game showing me I can indulge my newfound tory landlord wealth on sweaty poorly-animated underground "cat" fights. It's overall a very horny game with a protagonist trying to pretend it isn't. Oh Japan, time for your daily medication again...
View attachment 5064
Running the Hostess Club actually the most fun part of yakuza 0, and generally considered to be a high point in the series I think Yahtzee even called it out. Its a whole sub-story in the game. The underground catfight thing wasnt for me.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Continuing Days Gone. I'm starting to enjoy it. One thing I will say is that unlike Far Cry 6, all the Side Missions actually have percentages and make you feel like youre actually progressing towards some kind of goal that serves a purposes and makes the game more enjoyable as you progress along. Like "Oh I want to do this thing because it makes these people like me which in turns helps me upgrade something I need".

Far Cry 6 had so much aesthetic meaningless crap shoved in to pad out the side missions that most of it starts to feel like trash and a waste of time as youre moving along. Its funny how measurement makes a difference.

In Days Gone its like "oh you wanna unlock a sniper rifle? youre gonna have to do a bunch of shit and work for it and all the shit you do will serve other purposes so its kinda worth it."

Far Cry 6 is like "Hey man you like snipe rifles? Heres 30 of them, you get one every time you pick your nose, but you gotta pick your nose 30 times, which makes no impact on the game, if you want all of them and none of them are different. Also you can buy more with DLC PACKS WEEEOOOWEEEOOO!!"

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Olija. Look at that, I played a game from 2021 in 2021.

Pretty good. Throwing the harpoon and zipping to it is a lot of fun and the mechanic is seamlessly worked into every aspect of the game - platforming, combat, puzzles. And it peaks around the time they introduce a sword you can plant in the ground and zip back to it same as the harpoon. Combined they more or less create a portal gun (the weapons are even colored orange and blue), great for bypassing puzzles.

Just wish the gameplay would escalate along all the cool ideas the game brings up once or twice and then drops. I was waiting for the difficulty to ramp up and hit a level that would demand a choreographed mastery of all the mechanics, like those rooms in Guacamelee that have you running up a wall, flying across the screen, going in one portal and exiting another, doing a body slam while shifting between realities, performing a dodge roll across an obstacle, doing an uppercut to gain height, headbutt a block and punch forward to land safely. All in one single motion, all in one ROOM. Olija doesn't even pretend you have to be all that good at the game, despite the complexity and versatility of its mechanics.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Playing Daxter on the PSP, which is scratching that action/adventure mascot platformer itch that I rarely get to scratch these days.

The jumping can be a bit finicky at times, the framerate struggles often, and the characters and story feel very barebones compared to the mainline Jak and Daxter games, but I'm still having fun.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Continuing Days Gone. I'm starting to enjoy it. One thing I will say is that unlike Far Cry 6, all the Side Missions actually have percentages and make you feel like youre actually progressing towards some kind of goal that serves a purposes and makes the game more enjoyable as you progress along. Like "Oh I want to do this thing because it makes these people like me which in turns helps me upgrade something I need".

Far Cry 6 had so much aesthetic meaningless crap shoved in to pad out the side missions that most of it starts to feel like trash and a waste of time as youre moving along. Its funny how measurement makes a difference.

In Days Gone its like "oh you wanna unlock a sniper rifle? youre gonna have to do a bunch of shit and work for it and all the shit you do will serve other purposes so its kinda worth it."

Far Cry 6 is like "Hey man you like snipe rifles? Heres 30 of them, you get one every time you pick your nose, but you gotta pick your nose 30 times, which makes no impact on the game, if you want all of them and none of them are different. Also you can buy more with DLC PACKS WEEEOOOWEEEOOO!!"
The damage bar thing for the weapons is misleading too. A big sniper rifle does astronomically more damage to a strong enemy then another weapon like a shotgun that from the bar looks like its close in damage.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Playing Daxter on the PSP, which is scratching that action/adventure mascot platformer itch that I rarely get to scratch these days.

The jumping can be a bit finicky at times, the framerate struggles often, and the characters and story feel very barebones compared to the mainline Jak and Daxter games, but I'm still having fun.
Huh, I never knew Daxter starred in his own game. I still need to play through Jak 3, which has sat untouched on my shelf for a decade after I played through Jak II and realized how terrible it is.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Sekiro platinum attained, and with that I’m retiring from the deliberate pursuit of them. It was the last I really cared to get and was fun all the way. I’ve also done RDR2, God of War 2018 and MGSV this year so along with all the others from years prior it personally feels like enough. Thought about ones like MGS4, Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy, etc. but there’s a lot of busywork bs involved. I’d already gotten the Big Boss emblem back in the day anyways which was the biggest part of it. Also got the original Uncharted platinum so it’s kinda redundant, like the Souls sequels (never bothered with all the recurring weapons/covenants/spells/miracles/etc. in 2 or 3).

It just takes too much time going through games that way, and I’m mostly left thinking about all the other unplayed games I’m missing out on. So in a way now it’s pretty liberating, like being let off a leash. What do I play next? Will probably get the stuff on my PS3 done like FFV and Metal Gear/Solid Snake before going back to the unfinished stuff on PC.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Huh, I never knew Daxter starred in his own game. I still need to play through Jak 3, which has sat untouched on my shelf for a decade after I played through Jak II and realized how terrible it is.
If you hated II you probably won't love 3, though personally I liked 3 and found it much better than II (which I found alright).

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
If you hated II you probably won't love 3, though personally I liked 3 and found it much better than II (which I found alright).
I wouldn't say I hated II, just that there were a lot of not good things about it. The underwater mech sections come to mind.