What are you currently playing?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I played some more Doom 64 last night up until midnight. I got to stage 19 and decided to stop there. I'm already over halfway done with completing the campaign. This is where the levels get trickier, and the puzzles a bit more complex, requiring some thinking power. And there are some game critters that says you can't think in a Doom game

I’m mostly playing DOOM 2016 now and yeah, even on Ultra Violence there are some parts that really make you consider your approach and weapon choices. The Argent Facility (Destroyed) is literally where all hell breaks loose, and lends itself to a lot of open ended verticality where finding the best positioning volleys back and forth between retreating and offensive assaults. It’s pretty exhilarating, especially when low on health and running up into the mess for glory kills.

Then in between during moments of reprieve there’s all the secrets to track down, and various challenges to acquire weapon mods. One of my favorites is the micro missiles on the heavy assault rifle. It’s amazing to think this game was at one early point in development hell, because the final product is some of the most fun I’ve had with a shooter. Doesn’t hurt that it runs like a dream either.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Finished Yakuza 6.

didn't enjoy it as much as 5, but it was still a fun game as usual. I didn't like the combat at first, but it grew on me over time, and eventually I started really liking it, though I'm still not a fan of having heat moves be separated by different modes. The antagonist and final boss were really disappointing though, definitely not epic enough for Kiryu's last hurrah, but at least the actual ending was nice and wraps his story up for the most part.

Nighttime Onomichi is also one of the most atmospheric locations I've visited in a game.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ubisoft considered the game a failure in sales apparently. Their words, not mine. The whole irony of the situation is that the Wii U version sold the most. Had they stuck to their guns, the would have gotten better success. They got cold feet on a game that was already completed and it did not need any extra bug testing for that delay. They straight up lied about that.
I would have loved to get Legends, but they stuck uplay on it on the steam version. I think I did finally grab it for my wiiu at some point but got distracted by other things.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would have loved to get Legends, but they stuck uplay on it on the steam version. I think I did finally grab it for my wiiu at some point but got distracted by other things.
Uplay is on all the versions. It doesn't hinder the game performance on consoles at least. When you're offline, Uplay won't affect the single player/co-op multiplayer. They really only put it there for the online and time challenges. Which kind of proves it was never needed in the first place for something so simple. But if you got the Wii U version, play it. It and the Nintendo Switch version has some extra Nintendo content. Rayman and some of the other characters get Mario style outfits.

Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Grabbed The Falconeer: Warrior edition. Never heard about this from anywhere, just the trailer and description was enough to sell me on it. Have to say it feels wonderful so far. How did this fly under the radar?? (Pun naturally not intended but whatevs, it stays). Took a looksie at the Wikipedia page and it's made by one guy? Wtf? Well, aside from the composer too of course. It's a darn good effort. Arcade air-bird combat with a nautical sci-fi twist and intriguing lore, defo recommended if that sounds appealing to anyone other than myself. Wiki page probably explains better;

The Falconeer is a 2020 aerial combat video game developed by Tomas Sala and published by Wired Productions. It was released on November 10, 2020 for Windows, Xbox One and as a launch title for Xbox Series X and Series S. It received average reviews upon release. An enhanced version of the game, titled The Falconeer: Warrior Edition was released for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on August 5, 2021, receiving positive reviews. It was later ported to Stadia on October 5, 2021.

Gameplay

Set in a nautical /scifi backdrop named the Great Ursee, The Falconeer is a third-person arcade flight video game in which the player assumes control of a pilot commandeering a massive warbird.[1] In the game, the player needs to shoot down rival enemies while dodging hostile attacks. Players need to manage the warbird's stamina while performing various moves and maneuvers.[2] In addition to completing the narrative campaign, the player can freely explore the open world and finish different side missions such as completing bounties and delivering items.[3] As players progress in the game, they can purchase new weapons.[4] The player can also acquire mutagens that can be used to improve the Warbird's basic attributes such as agility and health.[5] In different chapters, which can be completed in any order, the player will control pilots from different factions and command a new warbird.[6]

Development

The Falconeer is the debut title for solo developer Tomas Sala. Sala co-founded a work-for-hire studio in Amsterdam, Netherlands named Little Chicken Game Company before he embarked on a solo career. He worked on a mod for The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim named Moonpath to Elsweyr as a side project, though the mod received positive reactions from the community, which encouraged him to commence work on an original project. He started working on a title named Oberon's Court in 2013. However, it was cancelled because the game was deemed too dark. Commenting on its cancellation, Sala added that "I couldn't finish it, because it was too dark, it was too confronting". Using the assets and the codes of Oberon's Court, Sala quickly built a prototype for a new game, inspired by aerial combat games he used to enjoy during his childhood, such as Star Wars: TIE Fighter, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Aces of the Pacific, Red Baron, and Crimson Skies. The prototype soon became the foundation for The Falconeer.[7]

While Sala made the game on his own, Benedict Nichols served as the game's composer. Wired Productions agreed to publish the game in early 2019.[7] A beta for the game was released for PC players in October 2020.[8] The game was released on November 10, 2020 for Windows, Xbox One, and as a launch title for Xbox Series X and Series S.[9]

On December 22, 2020 a named update was released called the Kraken,[10] which addressed some of the criticisms regarding difficulty and open world activities, adding exploration missions and wreck dive missions that included monstrous events. It was made available for Xbox Game Pass subscribers on February 4, 2021. On the same day, Sala released a downloadable content pack named The Hunter, which adds additional outfits, a new weapon, and a dragon into the game.[11]

An enhanced version of the game, titled The Falconeer: Warrior Edition was announced in May 2021 and was released for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on August 5, 2021.[12]

Textureless Visuals

The Falconeer features a highly technical art style that does away with the accepted practice of using textures. This means that instead of using image files to give 3d models material properties and depth, everything in the Falconeer from the user interfaces to the 3D world and characters utilize techniques that replace textures with math based generated colors and definitions. Examples range from the ocean and cloud effects to the NPC portraits which are generated off random seeds. Procedural and generative visuals are said to have been essential for Tomas Sala to be able to develop the game largely by himself.

Reception

The game initially received mixed or average reviews upon release according to review aggregator Metacritic.[15][16][17] Critics generally liked the game's setting, lore and graphics.[26][3][4] However, criticisms were directed at the game's combat[3][6] and the lack of meaningful activities in its open world.[27][4] The Warrior Edition which was launched August 5 and included major improvements, all previous DLC and new DLC titled 'Edge of the World' was received much more favourably with the Switch release reaching a Metacritic score of 80/100.[17]

The game received a BAFTA game award nomination for Best Debut Game in March 2021.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Grabbed The Falconeer: Warrior edition. Never heard about this from anywhere, just the trailer and description was enough to sell me on it. Have to say it feels wonderful so far. How did this fly under the radar?? (Pun naturally not intended but whatevs, it stays). Took a looksie at the Wikipedia page and it's made by one guy? Wtf? Well, aside from the composer too of course. It's a darn good effort. Arcade air-bird combat with a nautical sci-fi twist and intriguing lore, defo recommended if that sounds appealing to anyone other than myself. Wiki page probably explains better;
I've heard of it but haven't played it. It's one of those "Looks cool but not really what I'm interested in right now". Glad you're enjoying it.

Other then that, Finished the Woodfall Temple in Majora's Mask(including the fairies). Starting the temple ASAP upon resetting the loop, I finished it with plenty of time to spare and even had time to get the stray fairies as well as do the chase mini-game that comes after it when you got back to the Deku Palace. So I I'm probably completely done with that palace. On a side note, that Temple boss was....I don't want to say Cringe, but Odolwa feels like it hits some uncomfortable stereotyping in his design. Maybe it's just me though.

Now I got the bow and can do some more of the mini-games, so that's cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I've heard of it but haven't played it. It's one of those "Looks cool but not really what I'm interested in right now". Glad you're enjoying it.

Other then that, Finished the Woodfall Temple in Majora's Mask(including the fairies). Starting the temple ASAP upon resetting the loop, I finished it with plenty of time to spare and even had time to get the stray fairies as well as do the chase mini-game that comes after it when you got back to the Deku Palace. So I I'm probably completely done with that palace. On a side note, that Temple boss( was....I don't want to say Cringe, but Odolwa feels like it hits some uncomfortable stereotyping in his design. Maybe it's just me though.

Now I got the bow and can do some more of the mini-games, so that's cool.
Yeah, it's certainly a genre type that won't be for every mood, I just been wanted a good air combat game for a while since that Star Wars Squadrons game didn't quite hit the right spot. Glad you're enjoying Majora's Mask, it's a lovely entry especially for those of us who are attuned to feelings of despair, lol! Is it emulated or Switch or another platform?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, it's certainly a genre type that won't be for every mood, I just been wanted a good air combat game for a while since that Star Wars Squadrons game didn't quite hit the right spot. Glad you're enjoying Majora's Mask, it's a lovely entry especially for those of us who are attuned to feelings of despair, lol! Is it emulated or Switch or another platform?
I should give it a look then. Since Ace Combat made me realize I do like Air Combat games this might be up my alley. Which reminds me that I still haven't tried Project:Wignman or SW:Squadrons.

Emulated for 3DS. There's something about the N64 that doesn't quite work for me and when there are updated versions available for the 3DS(notably QoL features) I'm gonna use those instead. Part of it was that I didn't play the N64 back in the day so I have no attachment to the system like others probably do, so the remake is fine for me.

I could play the Switch version but it goes back to the whole I don't want to pay $50 to emulate a version of the game I'm not particularly into. Ironically, I would have paid $50 for a switch port of the remake(and for OOT too).

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I should give it a look then. Since Ace Combat made me realize I do like Air Combat games this might be up my alley. Which reminds me that I still haven't tried Project:Wignman or SW:Squadrons.

Emulated for 3DS. There's something about the N64 that doesn't quite work for me and when there are updated versions available for the 3DS(notably QoL features) I'm gonna use those instead. Part of it was that I didn't play the N64 back in the day so I have no attachment to the system like others probably do, so the remake is fine for me.

I could play the Switch version but it goes back to the whole I don't want to pay $50 to emulate a version of the game I'm not particularly into. Ironically, I would have paid $50 for a switch port of the remake(and for OOT too).
Understandable, agreed indeed, those QoL features are just too helpful to go back to the true original versions. I did have the original console but have none of the nostalgic ties to where turning down objectively superior versions make any sense. Would love a switch version with upped frame-rate and the ability to just own like any other game, but such privileges are only for the PC pirates (and psuedo-pirates) for now unfortunately.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Uplay is on all the versions. It doesn't hinder the game performance on consoles at least. When you're offline, Uplay won't affect the single player/co-op multiplayer. They really only put it there for the online and time challenges. Which kind of proves it was never needed in the first place for something so simple. But if you got the Wii U version, play it. It and the Nintendo Switch version has some extra Nintendo content. Rayman and some of the other characters get Mario style outfits.
Doesn't seem to be on the wiiu version, at least it never popped up for me. It wasn't on Origins on steam. I have a powerful enough machine that it would be impossible to impact performance, but I still don't like it. I don't like uplay, I don't like origins, I don't like the rockstar launcher (although I put up with that one occasionally). I find no compelling reason to put up with them with how many games there are out there.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished Doom 64. Holy Hell, the Mother of Demons is so unfair, unless you upgraded The Unmaker at least once. I was able to beat her, but I lucked out by spamming all of my BFG rounds, and a quarter of my plasma rounds, with a double barrel to finish her off. Only 7.4% of people have beaten her according to PlayStation trophies. Goes to show how unfairly tough she is.

Overall, it was great going down memory lane. The last time I played this game was in 1998. Rented this a couple of times from Hollywood video and Blockbuster. With new life improvements with the modern ports, it is pointless to even track down the N64 version. Unless you're a Doom nut or collector, there is no point. If you're the former, you most likely already have it on Steam/PC or The Absolution fan port done back in the early 2010s.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I've been trying to play Eye of the Beholder.

I had an Amiga back then and I think I got it on a demo disk. It was a bit too much effort in those days, so I thought I'd give it another go now I'm 30 years older.

Well, modern UI, maps and certain conventions when it comes to controls are certainly missed. It's certainly nostalgic to see the pdfs of the old game manuals and an old ADnD map of Waterdeep but I don't think I'll be advancing too far into the game.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I finally beat Phoenix Point. Holy fuck that final boss suuuuuuuucks. The level is already tedious and long with a ton of enemies that respawn in the second half, but the boss can take a ton of damage, puts up these armored walls around itself that move every turn its damaged so you have to readjust your guys and if its in a certain position then you cant hit it unless you have someone up close and for the faction I chose I had a powerful but weak psychic unit that had to go to where the boss was after killing it and by that point she was low enough that a single ranged enemy could spawn and kill her before I could do anything. It ended with all my team dead and she managed to mind control one of these bullshit umbral enemies against another one who by all rights should have just run up and killed her, but the ai didn't seem to know what to do so I was able to use the other one to kill it and run her to the objective before any other assholes could spawn.

Decent if soul-less xcom type game, but that last boss really killed any desire to play it again for me. Cause this was the second time I had to do it, the first I just didn't have enough ammo, period. The boss has a weakpoint of its eyes but if you destroy too many then it seems like the game just hangs and you have to close it, so I needed enough ammo to just shoot the hell out of it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I finished Doom 64. Holy Hell, the Mother of Demons is so unfair, unless you upgraded The Unmaker at least once. I was able to beat her, but I lucked out by spamming all of my BFG rounds, and a quarter of my plasma rounds, with a double barrel to finish her off. Only 7.4% of people have beaten her according to PlayStation trophies. Goes to show how unfairly tough she is.

Overall, it was great going down memory lane. The last time I played this game was in 1998. Rented this a couple of times from Hollywood video and Blockbuster. With new life improvements with the modern ports, it is pointless to even track down the N64 version. Unless you're a Doom nut or collector, there is no point. If you're the former, you most likely already have it on Steam/PC or The Absolution fan port done back in the early 2010s.
I have it in my DOOM collection on Steam, but only ever tried a few levels of the N64 version once as a rental. I recall the music being remixed but not sure what else changed from the original. I’d like to make a new run through the classic DOOM games someday. Actually might throw them into my playlist and just do a level a night or something along with 2016 and The Evil Within. On chapter 7 of that now, so should be done maybe this week if I have time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I recall the music being remixed but not sure what else changed from the original.
Doom 64 never had any remixed music from og Doom and had an all new ambient soundtrack. Some parts from the PS1 version (which had completely new ambient horror music as well), were re-used or slightly extended. The second song has crying babies in the mix.

I’d like to make a new run through the classic DOOM games someday.
Take your time. When you get to Doom 64, heads up: expect some slightly more complex puzzle solving/key hunting, and monster closets. Doom 64 does a similar thing where activating switches or items causes demons spawn either from wall, or fade in from out of thin air. Not to crazy extent of Doom 3, but it's still there. Expect even more demons on the hardest mode of course.

The Evil Within. On chapter 7 of that now, so should be done maybe this week if I have time.
When you finish that, immediately jump towards Evil Within 2!

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I've gotten back to Fallout: New Vegas, and I think I'm finally starting to get it. I completed the game once close to a decade ago, but all further attempts had been hampered by mod monkey business and the beginning of this game being frankly not all that great. But starting with a clean slate and downloading some very essential mods this game is drawing me in.

I do think that the beginning of the game is rather weak. Pretty much the only useful (or even usable) skills are Small Guns and Lockpick because the game slants so heavily towards those. What's worse is that Small Guns has a massively wider variety of available resources than any other weapon category, further disincentivizing using anything else. Small Guns has different calibres and different gun types from 9mm pistols to sawed-off shotguns, whereas Energy Weapons basically gets the Laser Pistol and that's it. Laser Rifle if you're lucky. Furthermore, the game heavily directs you towards a specific direction from Goodsprings, limiting the feeling of freedom I play these Bethesda games in the first place.

One of the best mods I downloaded was the New Vegas Landscape overhaul, since it transforms the previously barren, featureless hills and plains into something more visually interesting, making the trudging through the world much less boring.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Doom 64 never had any remixed music from og Doom and had an all new ambient soundtrack. Some parts from the PS1 version (which had completely new ambient horror music as well), were re-used or slightly extended. The second song has crying babies in the mix.

Take your time. When you get to Doom 64, heads up: expect some slightly more complex puzzle solving/key hunting, and monster closets. Doom 64 does a similar thing where activating switches or items causes demons spawn either from wall, or fade in from out of thin air. Not to crazt extend of Doom 3, but it's still there. Expect even more demons on the hardest mode of course.

When you finish that, immediately jump towards Evil Within 2!
All good to know, and actually I have TEW2 waiting in the wings via PS+ download so will take your recommendation to heart there as well.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I enjoyed the game for awhile, but unlike xcom where a big part of the fun is to keep the same team as you play, gears tactics give your character so little exp per mission that you'll end up constantly firing your veteran to recruit new unit that are higher level than anything you have.
Really? Because the opposite's happened so far. Every recruit has been of a lower level than the recruits I levelled up.

The flipside of this is that there's really no incentive to experiment. For instance, as of this time of writing, I've just beaten the brumak. That means that three of my four Gears are obligatory (Diaz, Sid, Michela), and the fourth spot has always been the same recruited Gear (a heavy), because a) she fills out the role, and b) she's of the highest level compared to the other recruits. Can't help but find this a bit irritating because it removes incentivization for experimentation, and there aren't enough slots for all the classes available to you.

I also wish there was an option to preview maps, or at least get hints as to what you need. That, and the ability to have more than four Gears at a time - I'd happily deal with more enemies if I could have more Gears, because not only would that help distinguish Tactics from the other games (which have all dealt with small squads), but would allow some more variety.

Still, game remains fun so far, though considering that I have JACK as well, I suspect it's easier than it's meant to be. Story, however, remains fairly weak. Also not sure what they did with Prescott, how here, he's full-on "manipulative bastard." I mean, he IS a manipulative bastard, but at least in Gears 2 & 3, the games didn't shove that in your face. I'm also not sure if the plan of "send out a Gear who hates you to kill a high value target that I'm not going to give information on, including the ability to regenerate from headshots" is the best idea in the world.

Oh, and final point, is it just me, or is it weird how Gabe's class is probably the most useless in the game? Jack of all trades and healing, I get it, but I find Gabe to be fairly useless, while other classes like the vanguard, heavy, and sniper excel because of being more specialized. Most of the time I just keep Gabe in a support role.