What are you currently playing?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
You'll need the mod and either DOOM or DOOM 2 from Steam. The other thing you'll need is GZDOOM, which is a source port that will allow you to run DOOM engine games on a modern operating system, and with expanded capabilities including dynamic lighting, improved mouselook, and mod support. GZDOOM will automatically detect the relevant files it needs if you buy a DOOM engine game from Steam. To run the mod, download and extract the .PK3 file, then open it with GZDOOM. Most mods for DOOM engine games are designed with GZDOOM or its predecessor ZDOOM in mind. You can also use GZDOOM to run Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest, and any other games that use the DOOM engine.
Heh, I'd love to play Heretic and Hexen again too!
Edit: got it, put the doom2.wap in the folder with it and Doom2 runs. Just download RO_3.0e.7z. Trying to figure out how to apply it now. EDIT: had to get trial copy of Win-Rar to extract it into the GZDoom folder and drop the file onto the executable. I don't think there is a way to save one's progress (might be auto?). G-d mode works!
Creates save games but fails when I try to load them.
So far a major hoot though.

Last edited:

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
My cousin told me 3 weeks ago that there's a new Diablo game (I was previously addicted to the franchise) and it was on mobile! Safe to say I've been binging Diablo Immortal since I'm already at paragon level 21... Also, I'm trying my best to remain f2p but the legendary drop rate is absolute rubbish (consistent amongst all diablo games lol).

Not a big fan of crypto or anything crypto-related, but a friend mentioned a game that's about to launch called Wizardia. Looks like it'll be a mix of MMORPG and TCG (they do have a pretty sick-looking collection though) but too early to form an opinion on that game yet!

I was playing Legends of Runeterra (LOR) but the meta right now is soooo bad. One of the recent expansions brought out a ton of cards that basically power-crept the game. I've been loving it for the most part - but I needed to delete the game for now for my own sake lol.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Heh, I'd love to play Heretic and Hexen again too!
Edit: got it, put the doom2.wap in the folder with it and Doom2 runs. Just download RO_3.0e.7z. Trying to figure out how to apply it now. EDIT: had to get trial copy of Win-Rar to extract it into the GZDoom folder and drop the file onto the executable. I don't think there is a way to save one's progress (might be auto?). G-d mode works!
It autosaves. In the Russian Overkill menu "Lights Out Comrade" is save and "Did we drink yesterday" is load. "Means of drinking" is the main options and "Real Soviet Stuff" is mod specific options. The secondary fire, reload, and zoom buttons activate additional features on most weapons, make sure they're all bound to accessible buttons in "Means of Drinking".

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It autosaves. In the Russian Overkill menu "Lights Out Comrade" is save and "Did we drink yesterday" is load. "Means of drinking" is the main options and "Real Soviet Stuff" is mod specific options. The secondary fire, reload, and zoom buttons activate additional features on most weapons, make sure they're all bound to accessible buttons in "Means of Drinking".
I'll give that a shot, thanks!
I did restart twice. The 1st time I started out I default had a hand gun that shot fire balls. The 2nd it was a large revolver. I hope to come by all of the weapons.
G-d mode works but you spell that out rather than the gamefaqs cheats. I wonder if there is one for "all weapons keys and unlocked doors." Yeah, I like a lark.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Just finished The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe. It was pretty great. It really is over twice the length of the original, and I really think that I could listen to the Narrator talk basically forever. A lot of the new endings are quite funny and enjoyable, in particular I thought the ending where you very tenderly place the bucket in the Escape Pod was a great improvement to an otherwise boring ending. Although, replacing Minecraft and Portal in the games ending with Firewatch and Rocketleague, is a very clear downgrade.

The game didn't give me what I really wanted, though, which was further exploration of the nightmare office environment. For some reason I'm just fascinated by the office building, and I always wanted to know more about the place, and be able to get into the locked doors and look around. It just feels like a really comfortable place for some reason. When I was playing the original, every time there was an alternate office, I'd always look around for a lot longer than necessary hoping that there was a chance to explore alternate paths and find out something more about what they do here and where everybody went. As much as I love the game as it is, I'd really like another game that just explored a mysterious, non-euclidean office building and figured out lore and mysteries. So yeah, that's what I want from The Stanley Parable 3, just drop all the clever meta-narrative about choices in games and give me the story the Narrator wants to tell straight.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Just finished The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe. It was pretty great. It really is over twice the length of the original, and I really think that I could listen to the Narrator talk basically forever. A lot of the new endings are quite funny and enjoyable, in particular I thought the ending where you very tenderly place the bucket in the Escape Pod was a great improvement to an otherwise boring ending. Although, replacing Minecraft and Portal in the games ending with Firewatch and Rocketleague, is a very clear downgrade.

The game didn't give me what I really wanted, though, which was further exploration of the nightmare office environment. For some reason I'm just fascinated by the office building, and I always wanted to know more about the place, and be able to get into the locked doors and look around. It just feels like a really comfortable place for some reason. When I was playing the original, every time there was an alternate office, I'd always look around for a lot longer than necessary hoping that there was a chance to explore alternate paths and find out something more about what they do here and where everybody went. As much as I love the game as it is, I'd really like another game that just explored a mysterious, non-euclidean office building and figured out lore and mysteries. So yeah, that's what I want from The Stanley Parable 3, just drop all the clever meta-narrative about choices in games and give me the story the Narrator wants to tell straight.
I think the guy that made Stanley Parable made the Beginner's Guide as well which I thought pretty great through brief. I think I finished in 1.5 hours.

Reactions: Dalisclock

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Im getting back into Elden Ring, and I can confidently say two things: 1. I think this is the best gameplay From has done, even if I liked the design, music and combat of BloodBorne more. 2. This is the most obtuse storytelling From has done, and that's saying a lot compared to the half-baked stories in Dark Souls. Im probably a good 10% of the way through, Im at Volcano Island and partying and whatever, and I still have no idea what the Elden Ring is, who broke it, why, if it should have been broken, why there are giant glowing trees, and why everyone wants to kill me. Usually there's some reason - everyone is crazy on a space blood disease and turned into space werewolf Thing monsters and you gotta kill them. The armies of the lords of cinder want to stop you from killing their lord and ending the world. There are evil samurai ninjas and evil Pokemon have attacked the world. Sure.
Elden Ring? Why did the giant knight patrolling the road attack the first person he saw? Why are the giant crabs hostile instead of eat algae along the coast? Why is everyone in the academy a dick? Why did the spectral deer ghost god attack me? I just wanted to bring him a salt lick.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Im getting back into Elden Ring, and I can confidently say two things: 1. I think this is the best gameplay From has done, even if I liked the design, music and combat of BloodBorne more. 2. This is the most obtuse storytelling From has done, and that's saying a lot compared to the half-baked stories in Dark Souls. Im probably a good 10% of the way through, Im at Volcano Island and partying and whatever, and I still have no idea what the Elden Ring is, who broke it, why, if it should have been broken, why there are giant glowing trees, and why everyone wants to kill me. Usually there's some reason - everyone is crazy on a space blood disease and turned into space werewolf Thing monsters and you gotta kill them. The armies of the lords of cinder want to stop you from killing their lord and ending the world. There are evil samurai ninjas and evil Pokemon have attacked the world. Sure.
Elden Ring? Why did the giant knight patrolling the road attack the first person he saw? Why are the giant crabs hostile instead of eat algae along the coast? Why is everyone in the academy a dick? Why did the spectral deer ghost god attack me? I just wanted to bring him a salt lick.
Like, I suppose one could say that nearly all those directly involved in the war during The Shattering event wound up deeply afflicted by it, to the point where all those not with them must be against them (basically, anyone marked as a Tarnished; how dare you return to the Lands Between!). You are also seen as competition in terms of seeking grace/power to steer the world back on course, which different people probably have different ideas about. Anyone not hostile is no different than other NPCs in previous games. They want something from you, whether it be runes, items, information, etc.

Then there are a few NPCs that are just “there” and don’t bother the player. Same for animals/beasts. It just depends if they were designed to be aggressive or not give a shit what’s going on either way. For my sanity I try to avoid the rabbit hole of finding lore justification for every little thing, especially in these games even though they kinda encourage it by their design.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I downloaded the Beginner's Guide about 2 years ago, but I just haven't gotten around to booting it up. I really should one day.
It's interesting. Very linear and I'm not sure if it's much of a "Game" but it's something I enjoyed for the 2-3 hours it lasted just for being a bit different. The Stanley Parable is the only other game that feels like it. One could actually consider it as more of an experiemental film but in game format, or a video game "Art exhibit" if that makes it make more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Started playing The Darkness on PS3.

A surprisingly enthralling game so far, despite some gameplay shortcomings. The shooting controls and performance are a bit janky, but I like how the Darkness abilities feel essential to combat instead of just run and gun which I found is a quick way to get killed. Controlling evil minions and devouring your opponent's hearts makes you feel powerful, but without them you're quite weak.

What's really standing out to me though is the atmosphere. The music switches from somber tunes when exploring the subways, then becomes much more haunting and hectic when you're fighting in the grimy New York streets. The attention to small details is also lovely to see; from the huge variety of graffiti found all over the place, to the scene early on where you just sit down on the couch with your girlfriend and watch the entirety of To Kill a Mockingbird. It's really sweet and sets the mood nicely.

Looking forward to this one.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Like, I suppose one could say that nearly all those directly involved in the war during The Shattering event wound up deeply afflicted by it, to the point where all those not with them must be against them (basically, anyone marked as a Tarnished; how dare you return to the Lands Between!). You are also seen as competition in terms of seeking grace/power to steer the world back on course, which different people probably have different ideas about. Anyone not hostile is no different than other NPCs in previous games. They want something from you, whether it be runes, items, information, etc.

Then there are a few NPCs that are just “there” and don’t bother the player. Same for animals/beasts. It just depends if they were designed to be aggressive or not give a shit what’s going on either way. For my sanity I try to avoid the rabbit hole of finding lore justification for every little thing, especially in these games even though they kinda encourage it by their design.
See I believe you, but I have NO idea where you got that information from. I was watching the new VaatiyVida video and even he was like "If you go to this location, put on this hat and preform this gesture, a door in a second location opens. I have no idea how anyone figured this out."
And Im convinced From leaks secrets to certain streamers to preform on stream and get the secret out because there's no way to know about the secret, let alone for to solve it, unless you have inside information.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
See I believe you, but I have NO idea where you got that information from. I was watching the new VaatiyVida video and even he was like "If you go to this location, put on this hat and preform this gesture, a door in a second location opens. I have no idea how anyone figured this out."
And Im convinced From leaks secrets to certain streamers to preform on stream and get the secret out because there's no way to know about the secret, let alone for to solve it, unless you have inside information.
It’s kinda like that one (and only one) person who found that hidden room in Nier: Automata -

People have been playing Souls games for over a decade now so I suppose certain folks have their ways of finding the most obtuse bs. For the general thematic stuff, I’ve mainly gotten my bearings from the main wiki and the occasional YouTube/Reddit comments. Although, it’s also well worth hitting Square/X on the inventory screen for descriptions, which often leave clues. Key item especially. There’s also a sort of info page for various things if you tap L1 once on the inventory screen. All these hours playing and I never paid attention to what the heading is labeled though. Go figure.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
There's a ton of lore in this game(like 2-3 times more then a normal Souls but also spread across a much bigger area) so I don't blame you for not seeing this. It's also pretty fucking dense to boot. There's like 3 or 4 competing religions in this game as well to make things even more convoluted(The Golden Order being one of them). You either dig through the item descriptions and locations with red string and a corkboard nearby or you spend hours watching lore videos and reading reddit threads. Or both.

And I have no doubt that with this many people, and dedicated people at that, playing ER, secrets will eventually get discovered and shared. It's kind of amazing, but honestly I'm more shocked when it takes years for certain secrets to get ferreted out by the fanbase(like that infamous FF9 secret, though to be fair, that one is very, very convoluted).

I mean, hell, if people can git gud enough at Souls to do hitless runs at SL1/RL1, I have no doubt there are people who are spending just as much time cross referencing every fucking paragraph and location in the game to piece together the lore into something resembling War and Peace but with dragons.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Expeditions: Rome

Finished Act 1, now into Act 2.

So after a couple hours of playing a game of RISK on the Asia Minor Map along with a number of smaller scale missions in which you send some of your recruited mooks and one actual character NPC to disrupt enemy supply lines and such, I finally unlocked the finale of ACT 1. So it's established early on one of the big Roman consuls/generals got himself besieged and then captured while you were recapturing territory and building up your legion, and until you completely recapture all 11 parts of the map, you can't even take a shot the enemy King/Leader. Once you do this, his location appears on the map and you're explicitly told "Finish up everything you want to do here because this will end the campaign in Asia Minor".

What you're not explicitly told is that the final mission(called a SIEGE, but it's a full on ASSUALT mission. Discussed in more detail elsewhere ) is long and involved. Any consumable items stay consumed so best to stock everyone up before you head in and any damage taken stays taken so bring medics and bandages(despite the fact bandages require linens to make which are surprisingly hard to find in the first act, despite literally being cloth!) galore. There are some pick ups available during parts of the mission but if you miss them you can't go back.

That being said, the act finale is a test of your skills for sure. You're presented with a plan to divide your soldiers into two teams, a frontal assualt team and a smaller infiltration team to sneak in over the walls during the battle. Once picked you cannot switch out troops or weapons, though later on the two teams will meet up inside the city to fight alongside. And it's honestly nicely done, with each stage of the battle swapping back and forth between the two teams to give the impression that both teams are making progress along two different fronts simultaneously. Notably early in the battle, your infiltration team will be sabotaging enemy catapults(artillery) at the rear and in the next stage your frontal assualt team will face reduced or even no incoming catapult fire depending on how many of the catapults you were able to take down in the few turns you had available(plus you'll have the ability to direct catapult fire of your own onto enemy lines, something you never had the ability to do before this). The catapult fire is almost too easy, other then it takes about a turn before ordering the strike and the strike actually arriving, so enemies can move and scatter away from the target zone. However, if you do manage to tag enemies(and one particular strike inflicts knock down), you can just hit them again to kill them without them being to retaliate. I killed both named enemy leaders by catching them with a knockdown and then just dropping a rock onto them when they were unable to move(of course, the big bad of the act will be fine in cutscene just after, despite getting a giant rock dropped his head).

Until previous missions where the enemy would often get reinforcement waves, this time you do as well(albeit computer controlled allied soldiers), and it does give the impression of being part of a much larger battle(and the AI controlled allies can hold their own, so it is helpful). Especially since you can see your progress through the city as you go, realizing "oh, I was just there and cleared that out", so by playing the mission in stages it feels very big and satisfying. It's also long, taking at least an hour if not two to complete and god forbid if you haven't been leveling people up to this point or don't know how to properly equip them.

Once that's all said and done, your character gets to go to Rome(albeit without the legion, which MUST BE DISBANDED at the Rubicon) where you get to follow up on character quests and get story driven downtime(and some good old fashion Roman Politicking) leading you to Act 2, where you go to Egypt to do more campaigning. And also possibly bang Cleopatra. Yes, that Cleopatra, because it wouldn't be a Roman game with Egypt in it if she weren't there to meet and possibly romance.

But yeah, it's hit stride, it just takes a while to do so. The game doesn't really explain that certain special pieces of equipment, belonging to unique, story important NPC and noted as "Belonging to X" can be dismantled, which then allows you to remake it into a better version at an armory once you have it built in your camp. Which is basically a shinier version of that piece of equipment but also has notably higher stats and can only be used by said character. I wish I'd figured this out a lot earlier in the game, like about 10 hours before I did, because it might have made some battles a lot easier.

Also, apparently the PC was a cat in a previous life and you find this out from smoking some really good weed and visiting the afterlife, where a giant spirit cat tells you she was a bad cat and reincarnated as a human-you. It's not important to the story or character at all, it's a wierd little optional sidquest where you can take acid trip/visit to the afterlife because......you know what, it's just wierd okay. You're also offered a chance to go to heaven or go back to earth....and if you go through the golden "heaven" door, you get "Game Over: You have reincarnated as a Cat". So that's something in this game. Then again, Vikings had a series of dreams where you meet and talk to Odin and at one point fight with the dead in Ragnorak so why not I guess?

Last edited:
Reactions: meiam

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Cruis'n Blast I played for fun on a few rounds. The game works well in portable mode and the tilt controls are accurate too.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I took my new (used, whatever) Switch Lite with me to and from a trip to Panama and played some games.

Disco Elysium
I was not going to play this game because the idea of just walking around doing dialogue stuff seemed very boring, but it was discounted a bit and everybody praises it, plus I didn't really have a good book to read so I figured this would be like my book.
Well... indeed I was bored. Yeah, I just can't get into games that aren't games. Pressing buttons to read shit ain't my jam. And I love to read! But I can't convince myself to make games into reading, or whatever.
I "played" it for a couple of hours, enough to get a sense of the setting and mechanics etc. And sure it looks cool and I could see its appeal. But when I tried to continue it with a second session, I had no idea where I was supposed to go or what to do any more and I just couldn't be bothered. Not for me, this.

Neon White
Definitely going outside of my comfort zone with this- I never got the hang of first-person games and only a couple were cool enough to encourage me to push through. Well, so far, this is one of them. Similar to Disco, I tried this game because everyone is over the moon about it despite it looking like something that would never interest me. I'm glad I did because yeah, it is a really cleverly designed game that just leans so hard into its simple core gameplay.
I like that you have to rank up by beating some subset of the short levels with faster times. You actually have to git gud, but you don't have to git best, if that makes any sense.
Game reviewers including Marty/Yahtzee etc talk about getting all the Ace medals and leaderboards and side quests and gifts and I ain't about that. I tried a couple of the bonus side missions you get from finding gifts and they are way too hard. In fact, this game is just too hard for me but so far I am past the half way mark and I'm still encouraging myself to try to get as far as possible. I don't know if I'll actually beat it but I want to experience all the missions and get to end credits. That means a lot to me as someone who quit on other popular hard platformers like Celeste and Ori.

Bayonetta
I played a bit of this, I think a PC version, a while ago and stopped as I found the combat incredibly difficult at the time. But I always liked the style and had intended to finish it at some point. The upcoming release of part 3 put this back in my head so I got it for my Switch Lite. Made it through the first 4 chapters (of 16, I think?) and, damn, yeah, it's hard. Or I suck, whatever. But having fun with it.
Honestly the most frustrating parts are the QTE's and these parts where like all of a sudden Bayonetta turns into Crash Bandicoot and I'm like wtf.

One thing that annoys me a lot in games like Grand Theft Auto and so many is that style where it's like super-juvenile and sexist but also it's a big joke and they're making fun of it but not really because the audience is 12 yr old boys. And Bayonetta kind of threatens to do that with the aggressively sexualized protagonist. But something about it here hits the tone just right where I don't feel annoyed and I love it. Like... it's so freaking stupid, and cool, and silly, and fun.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly the most frustrating parts are the QTE's and these parts where like all of a sudden Bayonetta turns into Crash Bandicoot and I'm like wtf.
This is where Bayonetta 2 is superior. While challenging, there are no insta-death QTEs, and the game has better level design. Bayo2 is more colorful too. More fun to tackle the harder difficulties, and better bonuses that are easier to unlock.