What are you currently playing?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Sure as hell been acting like it.

In all seriousness, regardless if I play the game or not, you love and enjoy it, and it's all that matters. I get being excited or passionate when people play a hidden gem or gain you love, so I've been there. We've all been there.
I definitely would not go as far as 'love'. I think it's a unique use of motion controls that actually add to the game rather than take away and is worth looking at solely on that basis. In all other respects the game is middling.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
>Nobody is saying/said you're wrong for doing so. I do find it funny you dropped the Series S after batting for the thing that long. What changed, aside from the expunging part?

Honestly just it was sitting there unplugged and once I realized I didn’t care that much about Starfield I realized I wasn’t going to use it and I only need one console. Better it go to a good home and I used the money to buy a CD box set I been eyeing for a while.

I still think the Series S is excellent I just happen to like Sony’s exclusives very much so if I’m gonna have one console it’s gonna be a PlayStation. If anyone were to ask me for a console recommendation and told me they didn’t care about exclusives or playing handheld or on a 4K TV, I would absolutely recommend the Series S.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't think it's a technical issue, I think it's the way the game is designed.
Are you pressing down on the right stick to actually lock on? Cause if I do that then don't touch the right stick it stays pretty firmly locked. There are instances where a fast moving enemy might manage to get out of camera but it always finds its way back.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly just it was sitting there unplugged and once I realized I didn’t care that much about Starfield I realized I wasn’t going to use it and I only need one console. Better it go to a good home and I used the money to buy a CD box set I been eyeing for a while.
If it makes you happy, I am glad you did it.

I still think the Series S is excellent I just happen to like Sony’s exclusives very much so if I’m gonna have one console it’s gonna be a PlayStation.
Microsoft don't have much to offer, other than HF Rush, so I wouldn't blame you or others for jumping ship somewhere else.
If anyone were to ask me for a console recommendation and told me they didn’t care about exclusives or playing handheld or on a 4K TV, I would absolutely recommend the Series S.
Whatever works for that specific group, but honestly I'd tell people to just get the X, so they can at least have more memory space and better running/optimized games. Even casual consumers can notice something when it's off or not right.

I definitely would not go as far as 'love'. I think it's a unique use of motion controls that actually add to the game rather than take away and is worth looking at solely on that basis. In all other respects the game is middling.
Could have fooled me. If you love the game, then love Red Steel 2. No one will judge you.

In all other respects the game is middling.
At least Ubisoft was actually trying at that time. I'll take an interesting or middling game that sold poorly, than any Far Cry or AssCreed any day of the week.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge - I beat Survival Mode already. It wasn't easy, and it took me 4 tries. The first two times was with Karai, the third time with Usagi, and on the 4th try, using Mikey, I actually beat the final boss on the first try. Barely had any health left. The final boss in the Void is another version of Super Shredder that steals the Power Crystals and energizes himself with some more attack moves. He's a little more fun to fight than the regular Super Shredder_Arcade/Story, but once you know how is pattern works, he's technically easier. Yet he moves much faster. when beating the final boss, the game asks you to end or continue deeper. I dropped to the end, just so I can see the silly ending. Next time, I might try to go beyond the final boss of the mode.

This mode gets tough real fast; especially when collecting crystals. Each time you collect a set amount of crystals, you go to the next dimension where enemies and bosses do more damage. Each stage and world is randomized, aside from the final stage. Whatever power ups you get are random too. Including the amount of crystals when at the end of a round. You can get anywhere from #10-30 when choosing a path to take. I highly recommend, if you see a become a boss power up, then take it. They act as a second bar of health, and you can spam supers fast, as the meter fills up quickly. Playing as bosses is over powered, but will get you to the end fast, if that's what you want.

This is mode is a rouge-lite, but you can level up for permeant boosts on the next run. Just like in Story mode. Everyone starts a level 0, and you have to play and progress to keep your stuff. It's an interesting take, but I feel they didn't need the super light RPG mechanics to make this work. They should have done what DD Gaiden did, and just have the permanent upgrades be temporary and randomized as well for each run.

Karai is already my favorite of the two new characters, as she is a bare fisted ninja. Izuna Drops for the win!

Reactions: Dalisclock

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Replaying Shadow of the Colossus (2018). Magnificent stuff. I probably spend more time on photo mode than fighting the colossi at this point but then again it's the one brilliant new implementation the remake has over the original. Spent the last hour or so posing the first three colossi in an array of badass tableaux and fiddling with the specs. Photo mode is practically a minigame unto itself.

I'm going for my hundredth Plat with this one. Sucks that I lost my original save since the Plat requires so many playthroughs but whatever, haven't played the game in years anyway. I'm doing a scenic view run on normal so I can unlock the Time Attacks, then getting all TA items in one save, then doing the speedrun on Hard (which by then should be breezy with the Queen's Sword) and then probably replaying the first couple of colossi to max out all stats.

Reactions: BrawlMan

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Made it to the climax of Monkey Madness 2, the first 'Grandmaster' difficulty quest added to Old School Runescape back in 2016. And I got dumpstered by the very first part of the final battle, because it makes you fight multiple enemies at once who can use different combat styles, which you can only negate one of at a time. I don't know how to handle this yet, because the game doesn't do a great job of introducing combat more difficult than 'click enemy, hope you win' before you get, like, 2000 hours in.

Music's good, though.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Update: After several attempts at the final battle, I finally managed to get through it on my fifth or sixth attempt, completing the quest. The rewards are fairly mid, but finishing a Grandmaster quest still counts as a milestone, and I think I gained some valuable real-world experience with fighting tough monsters that'll help me progress into the 'real' PVM game.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
BombRushCyberFunk. It has been too long. But no less shall you be embraced, jet set radio successor. Music hitting right spots. Controls doing holding their own. Combat mechanics very much appreciated too. Apparently Woolie's voice is in a music track somewhere, though that could mean anything with the way we can manipulate recorded sound into music these days, so am trying not to listen out for it, heh.

Also, perhaps most importantly, am immeasurably relieved to find out am not stuck with this smooth potato face for the whole game;
ezgif.com-webp-to-png-96.png

Cause seriously.
ezgif.com-crop-3.png

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
BombRushCyberFunk. It has been too long. But no less shall you be embraced, jet set radio successor. Music hitting right spots. Controls doing holding their own. Combat mechanics very much appreciated too. Apparently Woolie's voice is in a music track somewhere, though that could mean anything with the way we can manipulate recorded sound into music these days, so am trying not to listen out for it, heh.

Also, perhaps most importantly, am immeasurably relieved to find out am not stuck with this smooth potato face for the whole game;
View attachment 9584

Cause seriously.
View attachment 9585
I’m interested in it myself. How difficult is it? I enjoyed Rollerdrome and the skating here reminds me of that a bit

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Update time. Don't have anything to say on Heroes or OW2 right now, so I'll give general thoughts on D4:

-At this time of wrtiing, I've just started Act IV. On my day off, the stars aligned, and I managed to get in at least 6 hours of the game, which means that not only was I able to complete Act III, but do a copious no. of side quests in the Dry Steppes as well. Right now, my toon is Level fifty-something, which means I've unlocked the Paragon board, but apart from that, don't have much to say on the gameplay front.

-Disconnects are still extremely irritating. I don't know if it's the game, my PC (since it only barely makes the specs), or both, but whatever the hell, it's irritating.

-So I mentioned I did a lot of side quests. I don't have the time or memory to go through every detail, so I'm just going to go through the ones that stick out in my mind:

-Did the Crane Tribe questline, at least until you deliver the blade to the Ox Tribe weapons master (the questline just seems to end at this point, though I may be missing something). This one was pretty neat for a number of reasons, namely:

1: The bickering sibling couple in the Crane encampment got me to smirk.

2: It's a nice tie-in with D2, in that not only are we reminded that Nilathak was an asshole, but as he was a Crane Tribe member, the entire tribe was stigmatized, and remains stigmatized even 70 years on.

3: Helps flesh out the Cannibals' lore (how in their version of 'honour,' they eat the flesh of their enemies, but in doing so, they're going mad - the real-world equivalent might be prions), how some Crane Tribe members developed Stockholm syndrome (so to speak), and how we visit an old battlefield. Makes the world feel more lived-in.

-Qara-Yisu, on the other hand, was a letdown. I was looking forward to this since QY was in pre-release materials, but the actual revelations aren't that interesting. Turns out that the town was under attack by the Cannibals, so they made a deal with a demon, in so doing turning everyone in the town to salt. Even after killing said demon (as a stronghold, that means QY is repopulated to an extent, but the whole landscape remains in ruins), and even after doing its two additional dungeons, very little is added beyond these revelations. Sure, there's the hints, but like a lot of dungeons in the game, very little is actually fleshed out, only hinted at. Really, the best thing I can give QY is its art design - not only just the landscape (a salt-mining town with entire sections of the earth excavated), but the salt-people as well (think Pompei, but with salt instead of ash).

-Minor point, Renaak (sp.?) is an interesting fellow. It's kinda vague as to what he is, but he's basically a demon that's sort of possessed a man on the verge of death, so they now have a dual personality, and he can shift out of human and demon form at will. Turns out Renaak likes his human life (wine tastes good, beds are nice to sleep in), and just wants to live his cutthroat life rather than doing demon things. Um, okay. You live the dream, buddy.

-Ogai and the Grinning One plotline is a mixed bag. On the one hand, Ogai's clearly bonkers, and you have to get bone dust for him to get high on (not exactly, but close enough), only for him to sneeze, and in so doing, sneeze so hard that he blows the dust off a hidden plaque (I outright smirked at that). On the other hand, again, by the end of the questline, Ogai is dead, and while we can infer what the Grinning One actually is, it's still left vague at the end. My guess is that it's a demon of some kind (it usually is), likely worshipped by people in the Dry Steppes at some point (more on that later), but again, inference isn't the same as knowledge. Sometimes, I'd like answers rather than ambiguity.

-Speaking of Dry Steppes culture, this is more of a general thing than a side quest thing, and it'll require a lot of wiki editing to really piece things together, but credit where it's due, there's a lot of background lore if you're paying attention. For instance, the Ox Tribe worship the Oxen Gods, but they're Barbarians, and not native to the area. Based on what people in the Dry Steppes say, there's a plot of reference to ancestor worship, or praising the wind, reference to death rites (e.g. putting themselves in sulfuric pools as a way of farewelling their dead), the events of the Zakarum Crusade, etc. It's all delivered in litle bits, but put them together, and even if you can't remember the details (which I don't - like I said, wiki editing), the impressions, however, remain. That this is a place with a real sense of history, where civilizations have risen and fallen, though right now, like much of Sanctuary, it's on its last legs. Granted, that's also been true of the Fractured Peaks and Scosglen, but I bring it up here because this area had to be built from the ground up (whereas Scosglen has existed in Diablo lore since LoD), and the Fractured Peaks is less about the past and more about the oppressive present it finds itself in under the Cathedral. So well done there.

-By extension, back in Jirandai, there's a mention that reinforces this point, where if you investigate the old Zakarum church, it's clear that the faith is gone (indeed, Zakarum as a whole just seems gone at this point), but it lends its rulers a sense of legitimacy. Again, very solid worldbuilding just from a few lines of dialogue. It's kinda stark how Zakarum, in the space of 1300 years in-universe, has gone from a small cult, to the world's largest faith, to being pretty much relegated to the dustbin of history, the Cathedral of Light having taken over. Of course, this isn't really inference, this is outright stated in Book of Lorath, but even by the game and nothing else, the implications are clear.

-Right, anyway, back to the main questline, moving south into Kehjistan, and reaching the village of Taranuk. I don't have much to say here, only that like everywhere else, Kehjistan is in a state of collapse, and indeed, Kehjistan (the empire, not the land) doesn't even exist anymore (far as I can tell, but as that was stated pre-release, I'm assuming that's still the case).

-Make it along the River Argentek and find Meshif from D2 (how the hell is this guy still alive?) whose mind is so addled at this point, he mistakes Lorath for Deckard Cain. I actually like this idea, but not for the reasons you might think. That Meshif is here is incidental (I don't have any nostalgic connection with D2, so plopping in characters and/or mentioning them doesn't inherently do much for me, but what it represnts and what happens (more on that later) does.

-So we make it to a chapel where Taisia is deposited (I'll get back to this later, I swear!) before setting off with Meshif through a sandstorm to find Elias. Meshif still thinks Lorath is Deckard, Lorath is willing to play along to get the madman to keep guiding them till we finally arrive at the palace Elias has appropriated as a base of power for the Triune. Minor point, absolutely love the design of the palace, though it does continue a tradition of Kehjistan basically incorporating whatever cultures it wants to in whatever areas the player might be in (in this case, Indian), but meh, we go through the palace, discover that the Triune are intent on fighting fire with fire. Sooner or later (likely sooner) the Prime Evils will return, and when they do, there'll be no power on Sanctuary able to stop them, but having a demonic army of their own might be able to turn the tide. That said, weren't the Triune also worshipping the Prime Evils at Mt. Civo? Or was that exclusively the remnants of the original Triune?

-Anyway, we fight Elias, and my toon's so powerful at this point, it's a cakewalk. Also doesn't help that I've spoilt myself, in that here, it's established that he can't be killed, and thanks to spoilers, I know why, but the atmosphere and context is terrific. What's also a nice touch is that we find the Sightless Eye, which is how Elias was able to contact Lilith in the Void. Minor, but given how the Sightless Eye works, it's a good case of using a pre-existing lore to further the plot, even if it's technically a mcGuffin.

-In the midst of this, we get a flashback via the blood petals in the palace. I don't have too much to say about the flashback, but it's well done all the same. Lilith and Elias watch a priest get torn apart by a trio of wolves (human devoured by wolves...Rathma's Prophecy...three wolves...three Prime Evils...why yes, I AM a clever chap), and motivations hinted at. Lilith has come "not to save, but to empower," Elias knows this, he's just counting on humanity being saved in the process, nor does he trust Lilith ("only fools and zealots are certain"). Like I said, minor, but it's well done all the same.

-So we make it out of the palace, and find that Meshif's been stabbled. What follows is Meshif's dying moments, still thinking that Lorath is Deckard, and I will admit, this got me in the feels. Not so much because of Meshif's death (like I said, I don't have any particular nostalgia for D2, and Meshif was just one NPC out of many), but because of what it represents. By my reading of it, Meshif dying is emblematic of the old world (as in, the era of D1, D2) just being gone at this point. Meshif belonged to that era, that era has passed, and despite the efforts he and the characters from that era made, the world has only continued its decline. In isolation, this would be a stretch, but consider everything we've seen so far, with the Dry Steppes being a shell of its former self, with Scosglen and the Fractured Peaks faring little better, I don't know if it is. That, and by extension, Lorath still can't escape Deckard's shadow. Even if I don't factor in BoL into this, it's arguably telling that Meshif thinks Lorath is Deckard right up to the end. Which is a shame (in-universe), since Lorath is a better character both in terms of gameplay and story, but it makes sense in the tragedy of it all. Third, why did Meshif have to die? Who stabbed him? We don't know, we'll probably never find out, but it really fits in with the unending bleakness of everything. At the end of Act I, we lost Vigo. At the end of Act II, we were left with Cerrigar aflame, numerous people dead. At the end of Act III, Meshif dies a pointless death, yet all the characters can do is move on (and apparently take his sword, since it ends up in your inventory - it's a Rare rather than Legendary, so off to the salvage pile it goes!)

-So the act ends, and we make it back to the chapel where Taisia was left earlier. I really don't much to say about her at this point, maybe that'll change. The act ends, and I'm left with the following thoughts at its conclusion:

1: Of the three acts so far, this is the only one where the protagonist doesn't fail utterly. Make of that what you will.

2: While again, this is almost certainly me reading too much into things, it's arguably telling that the place the characters take shelter in is a Zakarum chapel. No information is given on the history of this place, but unlike the dungeons, I'd say this is a case where the ambiguity actually helps. I commented earlier about how the Zakarum have faded from Sanctuary, here, we have a chapel that's literally being swallowed by the sands. Yet as the cutscene plays, it ends up being a place of comfort, which is a rarity in a series where chapels have, well, a certain tendency to be corrupted.

3: I haven't commented much on the personality of the Wanderer at this point, because really, there isn't that much to say. Even by the standards of the series, D3 had more characterization for the PC, in that their dialogue and personalities shifted with their class, and their quest journals fleshed out their personalities further (e.g. a wizard would react to a situation very differently from a demon hunter) until RoS where, as far as I can tell, there's 'character convergence' in Reaper of Souls, where their personalities noticeably darken (at least in the quest journals - certainly that was true for my wizard). In contrast, far as I can tell, the personality of the Wanderer and their dialogue remains the same no matter which class you choose. And while that isn't the worst thing in the world, you could argue, reasonably, that it's a step back (though still above D1/D2).

Still, Lorath's monologue does reinforce the idea that the Wanderer is a fundamentally decent person, contrastng them with Elias ("Elias spoke of salvation, yet stood on a mountain of corpses to do so"). That, and the Wanderer's shown clear moments of compassion, such as how they treat Vigo in his last moments to them finding Lorath drunk at the start of Act III. Of course, "fundamentally decent person" isn't really much of a character, but it does kind of work with the game, given that since D4 is unrelentingly grim 90% of the time, the moments of compassion the storyline allows for certainly work as a matter of contrast. And as mentioned, Act III is so far the only act where the protaognist has actually succeeded, so there's that.

-Getting onto the start of Act IV, there's a sense of comraderie between the PC, Lorath, and Taisia, to an extent at least. I can't reclal if I mentioned this before, but something D3 did extremely well (at least by the standards of the genre) was its sense of comraderie among its main cast - not just the PC, but all the characters they travelled with. D4 doesn't have any of that, as the PC is alone 90% of the time, which befits the game's nature as an open world. I get why the game is like this, since D4 is less linear than any prior game in the series, but still, miss the old feeling sometimes. So this little bit of planning out their next moves is welcome, even if the gang isn't all here, to so to speak (I know that Neyrelle comes back for instance).

-So it turns out that Lilith's plan is to gain entrance to Hell (she has Rathma's key and Astaroth's allegiance, so pretty much has all the pieces she needs), in order to take the power of the Primes (or at least Mephisto) before he can reform. There's an interesting exchange with Lorath where he maintains that this doesn't really solve the conundrum they face, as Lilith, being Mephisto's daughter, can only act out of hatred. She's even outright admitted that she's less interested in saving humanity than using them to her own ends. Still, is that the case? Even confining this purely to D4, Lilith's shown motherly affection (such as it is) to Nevesk and Rathma, for instance.

Time will tell, I guess.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No More Heroes III - Finally got the SS Ranks for the boss fight trials on Henry, Native Dancer, Gold Joe, and Damon on Carolina Reaper difficulty. The ranking system is ass, and boils down to how fast you beat the boss, and only that. Which makes a bit less experimental, because all you got to do with start with one of Travis's Death Glove moves (usually Screw Crusher Kick), then go with Death Slow, and Death Shower. Then hope to luck you get the right slot power up(s).

Shredder's Revenge - Managed to beat Survival Mode with Karai, and only took me the one try this time with her. I used here black and white shading palette. Goes great with the Mirage stage. The power up that make you invincible while you taunt is super busted. I spammed the shit out of that when making it to the final boss. You get it for three rounds! When I got it, it was the next to last round before fighting Super Shredder.

Double Dragon Gaiden - Did a full run as Jimmy and Linda.

AC6 - Played it earlier this evening and took break, because I hate long missions with no checkpoints. I'll deal with it later.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Been playing through some of Shredder's Revenge, trying the new characters a little while also playing the hard difficulty story mode with Leonardo, my favorite of the OG cast. The hard mode really doesn't mess around, enemies will not leave you alone and take off multiple chunks of health with each hit, and I find myself losing lives fairly often. Still a long way from getting that achievement for Arcade mode on the highest level but it's not like I platinum a lot of games anyway.

Out of the two new characters I think I'm enjoying Usagi Yojimbo more than Karai, I just like his variations on the normal moves like doing air combos as opposed to a divekick. Takes getting used to, but it's a lot of fun once you get it down.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The hard mode really doesn't mess around, enemies will not leave you alone and take off multiple chunks of health with each hit, and I find myself losing lives fairly often.
You can go into dip switch settings for Arcade Mode, and make enemies even more aggressive.

Out of the two new characters I think I'm enjoying Usagi Yojimbo more than Karai, I just like his variations on the normal moves like doing air combos as opposed to a divekick. Takes getting used to, but it's a lot of fun once you get it down.
I am trying Usagi next. Karai actually has great air combos, but usually want to start them by pressing the two buttons that does a character's' rising attack. Some juggles can be started or extended further with the dive kick, if you position yourself correctly.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Still GTA4. Can't believe it's been made after San Andreas. Feels a downgrade on so many respects. It's still kinda fun, but there is no sense of progression (no incentive to earn get money), and even the corrected radio playlists are less pleasant to listen to than in the previous games (it's a subjective as musical tastes though).

But also I've read a lot of criticisms of the driving physics and I don't understand them. To me it plays the same as all these games, and it's still as cartoonishly bumpy jumpy pinbally as other GTAs. I barely care to avoid other cars, as they mostly bounce out of my way whatever I drive. And all vehicles still wobble like Postman Pat's on the Amiga. People deemed this "game-breaking realism" ?

This game has also the reputation of interrupting its flow with tedious side-activities meaning to raise relationship stats with various secondary characters, but in practice all of these are very ignorable, they're just occasional requests to turn down, and they don't get in the way of the real missions. I was expecting this aspect to really drag down the pace, but nope, all is fine.

Anyway, mild fun. Aged environment. Infuriating console game logic (saves, etc), and this makes me way more of an in-game sociopath than I used to be. Generally, in these virtual cities, I behave in a somewhat humane roleplayey way, avoiding to hit pedestrians, etc (mostly to keep it more movie-like than videogame-like, same reason why I don't bunny hop in FPS). But here, I don't feel the "life" in that world. Everything is just an emanation of a somewhat irritatingly bad modelled game world (in contrast with, say, modern Mafia or WatchDog games), so everything is just an obstacle. This in-game population pays for the immersion-breaking save state system and physics, as I rage against it in full carmageddon mode.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Still GTA4. Can't believe it's been made after San Andreas. Feels a downgrade on so many respects. It's still kinda fun, but there is no sense of progression (no incentive to earn get money), and even the corrected radio playlists are less pleasant to listen to than in the previous games (it's a subjective as musical tastes though).

But also I've read a lot of criticisms of the driving physics and I don't understand them. To me it plays the same as all these games, and it's still as cartoonishly bumpy jumpy pinbally as other GTAs. I barely care to avoid other cars, as they mostly bounce out of my way whatever I drive. And all vehicles still wobble like Postman Pat's on the Amiga. People deemed this "game-breaking realism" ?

This game has also the reputation of interrupting its flow with tedious side-activities meaning to raise relationship stats with various secondary characters, but in practice all of these are very ignorable, they're just occasional requests to turn down, and they don't get in the way of the real missions. I was expecting this aspect to really drag down the pace, but nope, all is fine.

Anyway, mild fun. Aged environment. Infuriating console game logic (saves, etc), and this makes me way more of an in-game sociopath than I used to be. Generally, in these virtual cities, I behave in a somewhat humane roleplayey way, avoiding to hit pedestrians, etc (mostly to keep it more movie-like than videogame-like, same reason why I don't bunny hop in FPS). But here, I don't feel the "life" in that world. Everything is just an emanation of a somewhat irritatingly bad modelled game world (in contrast with, say, modern Mafia or WatchDog games), so everything is just an obstacle. This in-game population pays for the immersion-breaking save state system and physics, as I rage against it in full carmageddon mode.
As far as how the world works and other attention to detail, it’s still at least better than what followed.

Back when Crowbcat made good points -

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
As far as how the world works and other attention to detail, it’s still at least better than what followed.
I'm really really highly skeptical of that.

Frankly, GTA4 is quite bad. From the nonsensical collisions to the vanishing cars to the save points to the instant proximity arrests to the useless hideouts and money... It's one of those games that you fight more than its in universe opponents. I doubt a later generation game can do worse on these basic gameplay issues.