What are you currently playing?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Wait, I'm pretty sure if a summon dies during a boss fight in DS1, it doesn't "kill" them permanently or affect their questlines. I've summoned Solaire several times for O&S, and he's died a few times, but it never stopped me from completing his questline as far as I can recall. But Souls NPC quests are notoriously convoluted; it could easily have been something completely unrelated and random that affected your progress.
It might have been the guy in the fat suit, either way that got me really gunshy about summoning npc helpers in other souls games since I thought they would die permanently. Till Radahn.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Not only that, but the weapon has to be able to have a damage number higher than the wall's HP as well. Unfortunately the walls have slowly grown stronger than my trusted salami, rendering it useless camp sausages now. Have resorted mandating every active character to carry at least one compay-owned rusty peasant mace on their person wherever they go. None of this is enough reason to stop gleefully shouting "open salami!" at every opportunity though. The team are in desperate need of a morale building exercise, cause I ain't raising their wages in this economy.
While I haven't tried it myself (Also running a paladin), have you tried shillelaghing your salami? Doubles your salami and turns it magical to boot.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've been waxing about it on the other thread, but lots and lots of Sea of Stars. Works as a nostalgia trip, works as its own thing. Works on just about every level. Even the minigames that would traditionally just be there as open world filler are plenty addictive and lots of fun.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It might have been the guy in the fat suit, either way that got me really gunshy about summoning npc helpers in other souls games since I thought they would die permanently. Till Radahn.
Seigmeyer isn't summon-able in DS1 for any boss fights, but his quest is easy to mess up. Mostly at the end where your final encounter with him depends on how much health he has after a battle with some mobs in Lost Izalith. There's no way to know or tell his health is a deciding factor.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Seigmeyer isn't summon-able in DS1 for any boss fights, but his quest is easy to mess up. Mostly at the end where your final encounter with him depends on how much health he has after a battle with some mobs in Lost Izalith. There's no way to know or tell his health is a deciding factor.
That might have been it, I think there was one enemy left who killed him and since then, till Elden Ring, I haven't summoned an npc helper.

Reactions: Xprimentyl
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
IIRC you could summon NPC phantom friends as many times as you want, but needed to be human form yourself, or use whatever consumable the game had (humanity, effigy, ember, etc.) to reverse hollowing. ER simplified this by just needing to activate a summon statue for whatever boss fight was nearby (or that might be just for the furled finger thing used for co-op, but I never used those). OTOH, quests for these NPCs usually have to be started in order to see their signs.

Wait, I'm pretty sure if a summon dies during a boss fight in DS1, it doesn't "kill" them permanently or affect their questlines. I've summoned Solaire several times for O&S, and he's died a few times, but it never stopped me from completing his questline as far as I can recall. But Souls NPC quests are notoriously convoluted; it could easily have been something completely unrelated and random that affected your progress.

Anyway, I've made it into Nokron in Elden Ring, and finally have the Mimic Tear!! I don't care what anyone says, I'm going to shamelessly summon this damn thing everywhere I can. I feel no obligation to a game to prove my mettle; I'm using the tools they've provided and as intended. If anyone puffs out their chest because they beat the game without summons, more power to ya'; I'm not that guy.
Get that sucker upgraded by the spirit tuner lady in Roundtable. Ghost glovewort is all over in catacombs and many places underground like Nokron.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That might have been it, I think there was one enemy left who killed him and since then, till Elden Ring, I haven't summoned an npc helper.
Your benevolence is not lost on me. That you have shouldered the burden of Souls games without the help of NPCs is very noble of you.

Myself, on the other hand? I will send any and all NPC directly into the fray, often in front of myself as human shields, without hesitation, as evidenced by the fact that I'm supremely excited to summon the Mimic Tear (effectively ME) whenever the shit hits the fan. There is no shame in my game; "easy mode" activated.

Me and the Mimic Tear:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
u/Xprimentyl, u/Worgen, u/NerfedFalcon your posts about Elden Ring and Rahdan are extremely gratifying.

> ...every time I get within striking distance, the screen turns neon purple and my health disappears. I don't even know what he's doing or which direction to dodge; I can't see shit!

*nods head vigorously*

> "Oh yes, that boss fight is easy-peasy as long as you've got the Orange Listerine Ring, which you must have found because it's right there, in the open. In a chest, in a basement, in a different postcode, behind two secret walls and a fire."

*nods head vigorously*

> Now back to Witcher 3 I guess. Ugh. It's fine, I guess, but I just really don't dig anything about the game. Combat sucks, Geralt has a distinct mary sueish odor, and everything is rather crass.

As the self-appointed president of this site's Witcher 3 fan club- stop playing, lol. The game's appeal is the whole... vibe.. and if you ain't feelin' it, you ain't gonna feel it. It's a long-ass game, no point in slogging through a world you don't wanna be in.

> Anyway, I've made it into Nokron in Elden Ring, and finally have the Mimic Tear!! I don't care what anyone says, I'm going to shamelessly summon this damn thing everywhere I can. I feel no obligation to a game to prove my mettle; I'm using the tools they've provided and as intended. If anyone puffs out their chest because they beat the game without summons, more power to ya'; I'm not that guy.

Mimic Tear is the best part of that game, IMO. The actual area and fight were genuinely my favorite moment of the game. I had just re-specced to a twin blade bleed build, while wearing barbarian outfit and also tossing lightning bolts. Combating another such spinning slashy opponent to battle felt like I was playing a fight scene from a CW DC comics show, it was hella fun. Then the two of use went on to bleed/stun most of the remaining bosses including Melania, it was great.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Your benevolence is not lost on me. That you have shouldered the burden of Souls games without the help of NPCs is very noble of you.

Myself, on the other hand? I will send any and all NPC directly into the fray, often in front of myself as human shields, without hesitation, as evidenced by the fact that I'm supremely excited to summon the Mimic Tear (effectively ME) whenever the shit hits the fan. There is no shame in my game; "easy mode" activated.
I did better then that, my build was a str axe build and I was pretty dedicated to it. I didn't even use that ice axe since it felt too powerful.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Anyway, I've made it into Nokron in Elden Ring, and finally have the Mimic Tear!! I don't care what anyone says, I'm going to shamelessly summon this damn thing everywhere I can. I feel no obligation to a game to prove my mettle; I'm using the tools they've provided and as intended. If anyone puffs out their chest because they beat the game without summons, more power to ya'; I'm not that guy.
You're not a real gamer unless you beat the game without summons, naked (both in the game and IRL), blindfolded, on a Guitar Hero controller which you are currently being taken to the hospital to have removed from your rectum.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You're not a real gamer unless you beat the game without summons, naked (both in the game and IRL), blindfolded, on a Guitar Hero controller which you are currently being taken to the hospital to have removed from your rectum.
Fine by me! I shall wear my "pathetic casual" title like a badge of honor! Now, me and my Mimic Tear are going for a beer; care to join?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I'm at the part in Arkham Asylum where you have to take out the operator of the machine at the Botanical Gardens.

Looking at the IGN guide for Arkham Asylum, I'm more than halfway through the game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Fine by me! I shall wear my "pathetic casual" title like a badge of honor! Now, me and my Mimic Tear are going for a beer; care to join?
For my first complete playthrough of each of the Souls games, plus Bloodborne (and Elden Ring so far), I named my character 'casul' so anyone who saw my summon sign would know what to expect. Somehow, I still got summoned a few times.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
For my first complete playthrough of each of the Souls games, plus Bloodborne (and Elden Ring so far), I named my character 'casul' so anyone who saw my summon sign would know what to expect. Somehow, I still got summoned a few times.
Better than me. I've never dropped a summon sign. I'm under no delusion I'd add anything positive to another player's experience let alone actually substantively help anyone else.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Better than me. I've never dropped a summon sign. I'm under no delusion I'd add anything positive to another player's experience let alone actually substantively help anyone else.
oh, helping people with bosses is great. Use your scrubosity to act as a decoy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Got my first game over in Double Dragon Gaiden after 45 hours of playtime. I don't think I'm doing permadeath mode again.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Blasphemous series. I have to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised by it. I had initially skipped the first game because, as I've said before, I'm kind of tired of the trope of vaguely christian looking religion being ~EVIL~ and yada yada, but I gave the second game a try and, finding it actually rather good with its setting, decided to give the first game a try too.

I was very happy to see that, although it's certainly a dark setting, it's using Spanish Catholicism as inspiration for it's world rather than being meant as some kind of wrote social commentary. I really loved the "dignity" of the characters in the face of awful circumstances, which is a very Christian thing, the way it was done. I can tell that it's a genuine attempt to translate Catholicism into a dark fantasy setting, and even though I'm Protestant, the common themes of Christianity still show through, despite their twisted expression.

Gameplay is also top notch.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2