Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Stray Gods: A Roleplaying musical

Checked this out because I wanted a short game to play. Basically the idea is that the main character, Grace, has a run in with a woman named Calliope who dies in graces arms and gives her her "soul" so to speak. She then finds out Calliope was actually the last of the Greek muses and now Grace is the last muse. But more important, the Greek Gods, at least some of them, are both real and still alive and think Grace killed the last muse for her power/soul. She's given a week to Prove her innocence or be executed.

With the plot out of the way, the game is particularly interesting in that it's really linear in story(leading to an average playthrough of about 6-7 hours per playthrough, shorter if you're mainlining the critical path) but where it shines is that it's a musical where your choices affect how the songs go and there's a LOT of replay value because you can't see/do everything on a given playthrough. For example, you might have to choose between helping two different people and thus get a different version of song helping one person then another, if not an entirely different song.

Now to be fair, I'd say almost none of the songs are really bangers but they're generally pretty well done overall, especially since it's voice talent like Troy Baker and Laura Baily who aren't normally known for singing(but can sing pretty well ngl).

I also kinda like how they depict the gods they do feature(a lot of the gods are background and some of the major ones are dead or not accounted for), so the big characters are: Athena, Aphrodite, Eros, Persephone, Pan and Apollo, with some minor roles by Hecate, Medusa, Orpheus and the Minotaur. Mostly how a lot of them are struggling to deal with the modern world in understandable ways and there's a lot of character drama because of that. Notably Apollo who is overall a sad boy who refuses to do prophecy anymore because if he tells someone what their prophecy is it becomes locked in for them, so he's basically so strangled by the idea of determinism so he just refuses to deal with it.

So overall a fun game/musical take on greek mythology with some obvious nods to ideas from American Gods and Fables as well.

And with that, I decided to keep the Mythos train going with: God of War: Ragnarök.

I will say that unlike the original GoW2018, GOW:R seriously just goes all in pretty quickly. WIthin the first hour I've fought two different gods, one of them a multi-phase boss fight with Thunder Boy Thor and of course Freya just being overall still angry over that whole killing Baldur thing. It slows down a little after that with the journey to the dwarf realm, which is still linear, but I'm fine with that because I'm getting back into the "swing" of things. (I'm sorry, stop throwing things).

While a lot of the stuff was lost, at least some of the big tools from GOW 2018(such as the Blades of Chaos) are still available so I'm not starting totally from Square one this time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Re4make, just got to the castle in 1 hour 12 minutes. I think that's a lock on the S+. Not looking forward to doing two consecutive speedruns. But at least Hardcore allowing for another 30 minutes should make up for the higher difficulty.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Was just in the middle of typing this exactly. Recettear is not worth playing. It's a middling dungeon crawler wearing the mask of a shop management game that has no complexity beyond "buy low, sell high".
And would PLAY IT AGAIN!!!!! HAHAHAHA.

Look these newer ones are trying to flaunt their 4 year college education in economics for me keep it simple. But the dungeon crawling is basic I will give you that.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
And would PLAY IT AGAIN!!!!! HAHAHAHA.

Look these newer ones are trying to flaunt their 4 year college education in economics for me keep it simple. But the dungeon crawling is basic I will give you that.
Maybe you should? I really liked the game when it first came out and I played it in high-school, but I never beat it. Then I thought I'd correct that so I replayed it in 2019 and found that it was not nearly as good or innovative as I had initially thought and actually was a total slog to play to the end. The dungeon crawling is like 80% of the game too.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You should check out Moonlighter (dungeon crawler + store management sim) and Dredge (fishing game + management sim). Neither is terribly complex regarding the management part but they feed the other half of the game in a fun, natural way.
I did play Dredge, it was fun too. I will check out Moonlighter.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Re4make, made it to the island in under 3 hours. On top of being the shortest section of the game the island is basically skip central since it rarely locks you in fights, and when it does there's usually a workaround. There's a laser grid fencing the first big fight which you can bypass by tricking an enemy into it and using him as a shield. There's a bunch of scripted sections where an NPC has to go through the motions of tearing down a wall or destroying a turret which you can skip by grenading the hell out of them. too bad they patched the chapter 14 gate skip though.

Just made it to Chapter 15 in 3 hours 40 minutes. I definitely slowed down after making it to the castle in hour twelve and stopped stressing about the 5 hour mark.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Started on Hades. Yeah, I can see why this was so popular. I'm still not the biggest fan of the gameplay, but the presentation sure was sweet.
Hades is the game that made me understand that I don't like rogueli*es because I loved the presentation and the gameplay but then I got resentful having to beat the same bosses over and over.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hades is the game that made me understand that I don't like rogueli*es because I loved the presentation and the gameplay but then I got resentful having to beat the same bosses over and over.
Have you tried out Double Dragon Gaiden yet? It's a rogue-like with tons of accessibility and easier difficulty options. You can make the game as easy or as hard as you want. Though if you want to get all the best unlocks, you have to play on the hardest or near hardest difficulty. The best part is that the game doesn't punish you either way for playing on whatever difficulty you like. You can still get the true ending regardless of difficulty.

The game has kick-ass music too.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I would still say that while Hades is fantastic, the definitive roguelite/like is still FTL or Binding of Issac.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Have you tried out Double Dragon Gaiden yet? It's a rogue-luke with tons of accessibility and easier difficulty options. You can make the game as easy or as hard as you want. Though if you want to get all the best unlocks, you have to play on the hardest or near hardest difficulty. The best part is that the game doesn't punish you either way for playing on whatever difficulty you like. You can still get the true ending regardless of difficulty.

The game has kick-ass music too.

No but I'll keep it in mind for sure if/when I'm in the mood for a brawler/fighting thing again (I'm on a whole 'nother wavelength right now)

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I would still say that while Hades is fantastic, the definitive roguelite/like is still FTL or Binding of Issac.
The definitive Roguelike is clearly Nethack. FTL and BoI barely even know what it means to be like Rogue.

But yeah, Hades is really good in combat and story, but the procgen is completely lacking.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah, the whole starting over each time aspect was bugging me. I had a good groove on with Athena's powers and my muscle memory kept fucking me over when I ended up with Zeus or Poseidon's powers.

I do have to say though, the lore and worldbuilding of why this game is a roguelike makes so much sense, major kudos to the devs for realizing that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The definitive Roguelike is clearly Nethack. FTL and BoI barely even know what it means to be like Rogue.

But yeah, Hades is really good in combat and story, but the procgen is completely lacking.
Nethack is for people who are turned on by asci.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Re4make on Standard difficulty in 4 hours. S+ ranking. Gonna take a break and then do it again on Hardcore for the Platinum.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Sure hope nobody steps on you. :sneaky:

View attachment 10276
This was indeed the presentation I was talking about.

Anyway, it's been a longgggg time since a game made me physically painful lol. My right hand is no slacker but I've forced myself to give the poor guy a rest.

I've gotten as far as defeating the Minotaur, and yeah, definitely starting to weary of the repetitiveness.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Tried to play non-VR non-Steam games on my PC over my Meta Quest 3 and using Meta apps, have been unable to do so. Today I tried Virtual Desktop and Virtual Desktop Streamer and that worked. Not as sharp as just looking at my 1080p 60 mhz LED Vizio TV that I'm using for a monitor so I'll have to mess with my Quest 3 apps some more. But I played some Forza Horizon 4 and Halo 4 from the Xbox PC app over the headset and it is like sitting 4 feet from a 100" screen.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Rogue. It's in the damn name. If Nethack was the definitive game, they'd be called Nethack-likes.
Rogue isn't like Rogue, it is Rogue! Nethack defines just what it means to be like Rogue, but not Rogue.

Nethack is for people who are turned on by asci.
Capture.JPG
Now that's hot!