What are you currently playing?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't know what to pick up next so I'm killing time playing Fall Guys, SteamWorld Dig and the Wheels minigame in Sea of Stars.

I was marathoning the James Bond movie before they left Prime which didn't leave me a whole lot of spare time left during the week.
Did you ever finish Tunic?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Its probably not a great sign when your game has oodles upon oodles of reddit posts, YouTube videos, and forum threads pointing out where commonly missed loot can be found.

The loot system in Mad Max is just fucked. Scrap that you pick up yourself is almost guaranteed to be worthless, while scrap from conquered camps comes is plentiful.

Also, I am genuinely sick of entering and leaving my car. Maybe its more realistic or immersive or whatever, but fuck me, when you're doing it hundreds of times in a playthrough, just the extra second it takes for the car to start up really gets on your nerves.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Its probably not a great sign when your game has oodles upon oodles of reddit posts, YouTube videos, and forum threads pointing out where commonly missed loot can be found.

The loot system in Mad Max is just fucked. Scrap that you pick up yourself is almost guaranteed to be worthless, while scrap from conquered camps comes is plentiful.

Also, I am genuinely sick of entering and leaving my car. Maybe its more realistic or immersive or whatever, but fuck me, when you're doing it hundreds of times in a playthrough, just the extra second it takes for the car to start up really gets on your nerves.
The were trying to go the RDR2 route but half-assed it. I did like the car and melee combat quite a bit though. Eden Ring went the opposite and did looting conveniently. Aside from chests you can just ride near stuff and tap Triangle to pick up instantly. Then any craftable stuff is highlighted to just tap another button. No hassle with inventory management.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am genuinely sick of entering and leaving my car. Maybe its more realistic or immersive or whatever, but fuck me, when you're doing it hundreds of times in a playthrough, just the extra second it takes for the car to start up really gets on your nerves.
IMMERZIIIIAAANNNNN!!!!!!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
After putting around 41 hours in Dragon's Dogma 2, I think I had my fill. And I haven't even beaten the game yet.

Vocation system is interesting, but is rather shallow in the upgrades. You will max out each vocation really quickly, without having enough types of vocations.

Also, there is little to no tactical thinking involved when forming your party with the pawns; As long as you have one healer and one frontline guy you can pretty much beat any foes.

The gameplay of killing big monsters can be fun, but goddamn does it feel awkard to climb them. I also feel they added lots of elements that artificially increases game time. The main questline is actually quite short and the world isn't even that big all things considered.

Short story is fine, but it's not that interesting to keep me invested. Shame too because I was hoping this game would keep me busy until ghost of tsushima came out for pc

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The were trying to go the RDR2 route but half-assed it. I did like the car and melee combat quite a bit though. Eden Ring went the opposite and did looting conveniently. Aside from chests you can just ride near stuff and tap Triangle to pick up instantly. Then any craftable stuff is highlighted to just tap another button. No hassle with inventory management.
Yeah the devs were clearly obsessed with having animations for everything. Which... I can understand to an extent in a Mad Max game. But they way they pull it off feels really quaint.

The car combat hasn't really warmed up to me yet. Admittedly I've only been upgrading Max and not the car.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Gunbrella gunder my gun gun gun gunbrella demo.
Pleasantly surprising Metroidie maybe vania type deal in a society around gunbrella, smooth soundtrack and shotgunbrella exploration gameplay with intrigues, might pick up when money gets better. No idea if trailer helps or not, though in case it might;

Age res...?!? Hm, fine.

Oh for the love of...ok last try.

Ahah! Victory!

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Did you platinum it? What did you think of the Secret Treasure puzzles?
I got the Plat and had a lot of fun doing it. The high point for me was figuring out the Golden Path. I drew my own map too, which is always fun.

20240410_194208.jpg

Everything leading up to the Secret Treasure was fun too but I had one frustrating moment where I had to look up and confirm whether I was on the right path or not. And this was of course whether I was supposed to translate the runes of the hidden message using the cipher at the back end of the manual. There's nothing quite like that in the rest of the game so I wanted to double check before going through the hassle. Seemed like overkill for what turns out to be such a small, not that crucial part of the game. Other than that, immensely satisfying puzzle/adventure game.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I got the Plat and had a lot of fun doing it. The high point for me was figuring out the Golden Path. I drew my own map too, which is always fun.

Everything leading up to the Secret Treasure was fun too but I had one frustrating moment where I had to look up and confirm whether I was on the right path or not. And this was of course whether I was supposed to translate the runes of the hidden message using the cipher at the back end of the manual. There's nothing quite like that in the rest of the game so I wanted to double check before going through the hassle. Seemed like overkill for what turns out to be such a small, not that crucial part of the game. Other than that, immensely satisfying puzzle/adventure game.
The golden path was definitely a highlight.

Yeah, I think it's pretty unfair to require you to translate the ruins for that one puzzle, considering they spent the entire game cementing the fact that puzzles can be solved without translation. I ended up not bothering and just looked up the solution, not being a cryptographer. I'm not even really sure how you are supposed to use that key since it had too many characters for a direct letter swap as I recall. That windchime puzzle also stuck me because I didn't catch on to what was supposed to be the start of the sequence, and starting in the middle and repeating didn't count for the solution. Bumping those skulls into the hole was also a nightmare.

But yeah, in general the game does a really great job delivering the right hints at the right time to make a very satisfying experience when the solution suddenly clicks and you find yourself not only with the solution to a puzzle, but with a new understanding of how to use the game mechanics. Not many games have pulled it off as well as Tunic.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The golden path was definitely a highlight.

Yeah, I think it's pretty unfair to require you to translate the ruins for that one puzzle, considering they spent the entire game cementing the fact that puzzles can be solved without translation. I ended up not bothering and just looked up the solution, not being a cryptographer. I'm not even really sure how you are supposed to use that key since it had too many characters for a direct letter swap as I recall. That windchime puzzle also stuck me because I didn't catch on to what was supposed to be the start of the sequence, and starting in the middle and repeating didn't count for the solution. Bumping those skulls into the hole was also a nightmare.

But yeah, in general the game does a really great job delivering the right hints at the right time to make a very satisfying experience when the solution suddenly clicks and you find yourself not only with the solution to a puzzle, but with a new understanding of how to use the game mechanics. Not many games have pulled it off as well as Tunic.
The alphabet thing was definitely the worst of it, being so unlike the rest of the game. The only other thing that I looked up, because nothing was working, was that you're supposed to translate words phonetically. So it's "sord" instead of "sword"; "foks" instead of "fox". Yeah. Who the hell figured that, I can't imagine.

The windchimes were a close second in frustration - again, nothing quite like it in the rest of the game. Looking to fiddle with the volume in the menu I found an option that essentially translates sounds, whatever it's called, which helped out in writing down the sequence.

The skull puzzle happened more or less randomly. I thought one of them had accidentally rolled into that puddle (now I assume it's programmed to do so to clue you in) so with great pain rolled the other three into it, not even convinced that I was onto something. Like I was absolutely convinced I was wasting my time. So hearing the musical cue at the end of that trial was immensely gratifying.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
On my second attempt with Double Dragon Gaiden's survival mode I managed make it Wave 101 with Billy and Jimmy. I made way over powered and you're able to stack up to 30 perks before the game locks you out upgrading any more. I literally let the enemies wail on me to get a game over, because I was getting tired and bored. Everything is supposed to be randomized, but the game kept spawning tough boss versions of Lady Okada, Chin Tai Mei, Linda, Final Form Anubis, and The Mysterious Warrior after Wave 50+ with none of the other mini bosses or regular bosses. I've more or less beaten this mode now, and I am probably not coming back for a while after dominating it. I do admit was fun chaining all of the super moves together, leading to tag combos and super moves to continue the combo and special ko chains.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The alphabet thing was definitely the worst of it, being so unlike the rest of the game. The only other thing that I looked up, because nothing was working, was that you're supposed to translate words phonetically. So it's "sord" instead of "sword"; "foks" instead of "fox". Yeah. Who the hell figured that, I can't imagine.

The windchimes were a close second in frustration - again, nothing quite like it in the rest of the game. Looking to fiddle with the volume in the menu I found an option that essentially translates sounds, whatever it's called, which helped out in writing down the sequence.

The skull puzzle happened more or less randomly. I thought one of them had accidentally rolled into that puddle (now I assume it's programmed to do so to clue you in) so with great pain rolled the other three into it, not even convinced that I was onto something. Like I was absolutely convinced I was wasting my time. So hearing the musical cue at the end of that trial was immensely gratifying.
I should say that I think the skulls were fine as a puzzle, but just terrible mechanically. I think it took me half an hour to get them all in the hole without getting them stuck or lost somewhere and needing to reset.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Back to Dark Souls 3. Beat Gael, wasn't too bad, definitely not the worst boss in the DLC. Had to look up where Midir was. Gave it a couple attempts but I'll work at it more tomorrow. @hanselthecaretaker2 this is definitely not the longest run-back to a boss in Soulsborne, it's not even close. It takes like 30 seconds. I'm sure half of the bosses in the original Dark Souls are further that this. Bed of Chaos took like 3 or 4 minutes to get back to.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Back to Dark Souls 3. Beat Gael, wasn't too bad, definitely not the worst boss in the DLC. Had to look up where Midir was. Gave it a couple attempts but I'll work at it more tomorrow. @hanselthecaretaker2 this is definitely not the longest run-back to a boss in Soulsborne, it's not even close. It takes like 30 seconds. I'm sure half of the bosses in the original Dark Souls are further that this. Bed of Chaos took like 3 or 4 minutes to get back to.
Ehh…technically true, but for me it sure was the longest cumulatively with how many attempts it took. I think maybe the Red Smelter from DS2 was the other standout but I didn’t know about the shortcut (which still takes about a minute). I recall killing the knights and archers enough to be perma-dead and still had a few attempts after that. Sir Alonne was the same way but didn’t seem as bad. Bed of Chaos was under ten attempts first playthrough plus it had checkpoints, so the act of fighting it was more annoying than anything.

Ebriettas in the FRC chalice dungeon is probably the most attempts in Soulsborne for me. Midir and Friede are probably tied for runner up. I ultimately respected and enjoyed the latter far more though, because along with its varied stages and awesome presentation it’s one of those fights that combines needing mastery and endurance. It’s in a handful of those where by the time I beat the boss I knew it so well I barely used the flask. Sword Saint from Sekiro was the standout for me there.

Demons Souls had some long ones too, but can’t recall any taking so many attempts that they’re hellishly seared into memory.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ehh…technically true, but for me it sure was the longest cumulatively with how many attempts it took. I think maybe the Red Smelter from DS2 was the other standout but I didn’t know about the shortcut (which still takes about a minute). I recall killing the knights and archers enough to be perma-dead and still had a few attempts after that. Sir Alonne was the same way but didn’t seem as bad. Bed of Chaos was under ten attempts first playthrough plus it had checkpoints, so the act of fighting it was more annoying than anything.

Ebriettas in the FRC chalice dungeon is probably the most attempts in Soulsborne for me. Midir and Friede are probably tied for runner up. I ultimately respected and enjoyed the latter far more though, because along with its varied stages and awesome presentation it’s one of those fights that combines needing mastery and endurance. It’s in a handful of those where by the time I beat the boss I knew it so well I barely used the flask. Sword Saint from Sekiro was the standout for me there.

Demons Souls had some long ones too, but can’t recall any taking so many attempts that they’re hellishly seared into memory.
FRC, you mean the bonus rites Fetid, Rotting, and Cursed? I never did any of the chalice dungeons with those on. I do remember fighting Amygdala for several hours though.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
FRC, you mean the bonus rites Fetid, Rotting, and Cursed? I never did any of the chalice dungeons with those on. I do remember fighting Amygdala for several hours though.
The only bosses in the series that I recall needing multiple hours to defeat were Ornstein and Smough, Gwyn (I'm bad at parrying sue me), and Orphan of Kos, which was about as long as the previous two put together. Out of those I think I had the worst time with the runback to O&S, especially when I started picking up Solaire on the way. There's a bunch of them that I haven't done yet though, all the DLCs except The Old Hunters and other than one session no Chalice Dungeons.

OT: A friend of mine and a Youtube video badgered me into buying Helldivers 2. While the friend's offline I'll probably play the other stuff I have been. Made it to South 1 in The Talos Principle 2, started a Runescape grind that I at least have a rough time estimate for rather than a drop rate.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The only bosses in the series that I recall needing multiple hours to defeat were Ornstein and Smough, Gwyn (I'm bad at parrying sue me), and Orphan of Kos, which was about as long as the previous two put together. Out of those I think I had the worst time with the runback to O&S, especially when I started picking up Solaire on the way. There's a bunch of them that I haven't done yet though, all the DLCs except The Old Hunters and other than one session no Chalice Dungeons.
To be clear, I was talking about Amygdala from the Cursed Pthumerian Defilement chalice dungeon. Regular Amygdala is a pushover. I actually really liked the chalice dungeons. I think it would be cool if Fromsoft made an entire game around the concept.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Pthumerian Descendant from the Chalice Dungeons en route to Platinum is the one boss that gave me the most trouble of Bloodborne, or any Souls game for that matter.