What are you currently playing?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So, I I have totally given up on Ghost of Tsushima, the story is ok, the combat is fine and the game is pretty to look at. But it is so dull when you aren't doing a mission. This should not of been an open world game because there is nothing to do when you aren't in a mission, other than fight the same for or five blokes over and over again every now and again. So yeah, I'm done and this will be traded in at some point.

So what am I playing, well I went back to the last time Sucker Punch put out a fun game and that is iNfamous: Second Son and even if it is the third best of the games, the amount of fun I'm having with this game is instantly greater than Ghost. I'm playing as evil Delsin so running and leaping around being a dick to everyone is so much fun. I have no idea how Sucker Punch managed to create such a dead world when they have shown that they can make a world that feels lived in and alive with the iNfamous series.

Anyway, I also recently played and completed Donut County, a strange little indie game where you play as a hole that you steer around sucking up objects, starting with stones and grass, gradually getting bigger until you are sucking up buildings. The story is quite funny, even if the dialogue is a bit cringeworthy, but I think that's the point. Plus its an easy platinum if you care about that sort of thing. Check it out if you fancy something a bit different.

But GoT loads so fast!

Really though, I can’t even get myself to trudge through Infamous: SS and I loved the original game enough to Platinum it. Played the sequel nearly as much but I liked the Festival of Blood even more. As a stand alone DLC it was one of the better buy’s, and I liked the premise of racing for a cure as it stripped away some of the more tedious open world design aspects and gave the main focus more urgency. It also managed to not feel like I was being rushed, which was appreciated.

But SS...ugh. Guess I’m feeling fatigue of that game type too, but it really feels like they doubled down on the worst open world tropes of icon chasing, collecting, and clearing territories that I’m having a tough time staying interested. Maybe I should play as evil Delsin for more of an amusement factor, because for as much crap they littered the map with the game objectives ultimately feel pretty copy&paste-dead anyways.

Donut County sounds like it could be a fun jaunt though. Reminds me of one of those fuckabout games like Pain on PS3. Will put it on my watch list for a price drop.

On topic, I just started the final character tower for Skarlet in MK11. Thankfully they pared back the requirements in a patch because it sounded like they were ridiculously grindy until enough people bitched about it. There’s a difference between “challenge” and “chore” and when something is too much the latter it’s fair game for criticism.

Anyways, thinking about participating in the next Kombat League, but not sure who I want to main as alongside Kabal. Maybe I’ll just play him, but I’d like to get competent with either Skarlet or Jade as well.

Then there’s still the fact that NRS should be revealing the next character pack imminently, so my choices are further hinging on who’ll be included there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I did the same thing playing Doom Eternal, going straight to Nightmare and playing it like I did Doom 2016. And promptly started getting cornholed in my immaculate heinie by pineapple-cocked demons in the latter half of the game. Also, no overpowered Rich Get Richer + Gauss Cannon Siege Mode combo cheese anymore. Sadface. Until I learned that using all the new toys if the magic key to dicking down all comers and becoming the omega chad.
Gonna have to take your word for it about the immaculateness of your heinie, despite reservations. Nevertheless, notes are being scribbled down though, much appreciated time-travelling primate professor! Best case scenario is the game breaks me and i mutate into yet another sad case of an unironic Duke Amiel...

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Gonna have to take your word for it about the immaculateness of your heinie, despite reservations. Nevertheless, notes are being scribbled down though, much appreciated time-travelling primate professor! Best case scenario is the game breaks me and i mutate into yet another sad case of an unironic Duke Amiel...

Yeah I've never understood the logic that "hard = good". And if it's not "brutal" the game is "holding your hand". That phrase is such an insult.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah I've never understood the logic that "hard = good". And if it's not "brutal" the game is "holding your hand". That phrase is such an insult.
Gatekeeping. Because some people have nothing else to feel proud of in their lives other then "I beat a hard videogame".

Not to say there's anything wrong with liking your games on the hard side, but when it becomes a moral judgement to look down on others because they can't beat it and you can is(and god forbid they used "Cheats" in a SP game) when it becomes obnoxious. That's where you get people having hissy fits become a game journalist said he beat Sekiro by using a cheat mod because he couldn't finish the game. The journo in question was open about this and literally titled the article "I beat Sekiro using cheats and I feel no shame" but apparently he ruined the game for some people judging from the comments section and the reaction.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Best of luck to you. I gave up and stopped caring. Other games I got to play and finish. Still working on Speed Brawl. Nearing the end, but still a couple weeks ago. There is one extra challenge in one of the later areas where they cover the screen in glossy glass. what's even worse is that they reverse the controls because the person you're playing as gets drugged. I hate these type of levels so I am not going to even play it. Thankfully it's an optional challenge.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gatekeeping. Because some people have nothing else to feel proud of in their lives other then "I beat a hard videogame".

Not to say there's anything wrong with liking your games on the hard side, but when it becomes a moral judgement to look down on others because they can't beat it and you can is(and god forbid they used "Cheats" in a SP game) when it becomes obnoxious. That's where you get people having hissy fits become a game journalist said he beat Sekiro by using a cheat mod because he couldn't finish the game. The journo in question was open about this and literally titled the article "I beat Sekiro using cheats and I feel no shame" but apparently he ruined the game for some people judging from the comments section and the reaction.
Mindsets like that was why I was kind of on and off with DMC. Though any game that suffers the most from this is Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360. That game was not even finished nor play tested properly. Itigaki is the epitome of that mindset. He is such a dick hole. Along with people having no life or not much action going on in their life, they're too stuck in the arcade and retro days. There's a reason certain game designs or mechanics are not used anymore. Or to an absurd degree.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

As a caveat, where it gets muddled is when they start demanding easy modes. Hard games should still have the right to exist, without anyone feeling too hurt or proud about it.

Reactions: MrCalavera

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Let me rephrase, as this often comes up when I say "I don't understand". It's my fault for using that phrase on the internet, silly me. :D I actually understand the human behavior, I just don't agree/empathize with it. I find it a very dumb sort of behavior on the part of the gaming community.

I agree that LIKING your game to be hard, because YOU like to challenge yourself at things like shaving off 0.2 seconds off your reaction time to beat some thing flawlessly, after being defeated over 1000 tries, gets you that endorphin rush. That's fine. But it doesn't end there with these gamers. It's the classic "easy mode" discussion, which I find so absurd. Easy/Hard mode have existed in games for decades. It's optional. If YOU want to play it on the most brutal setting, go right ahead. But don't demand that people who don't play "on your level", another bit of arrogance, aren't allowed to play something, or are somehow beneath you. It's really fucking stupid, and proves you (the plural you), are nothing but a prick with an ego complex.

OT: Dabbled a little with Innocence: A Plauge Tale. It was interesting at the start, especially the run from the home where everything goes very world of darkness crazy for a few moments. It makes me think there is going to be some supernatural element to the story, and not just a medieval misunderstanding of a natural event due to superstition. Because the way that one escape run looked, visually, I was like "ok so....I'm not aware of any way that could naturally happen, so I don't think this is just a case of misunderstanding" But, then I got to a part where they had a very cliche argument about their parents, and the little brother, of course did the "I HATE YOU!!" run away because I don't want to hear this! trope, and the mission became "chase down your brother" And I frankly got disinterested at that point.

That's a cliche that always annoys me. The "child that refuses EVERYTHING in a dangerous situation." It's just not realistic. In reality, when shit goes bad, children tend to just react by going with the flow of whatever adult authority figure is around. They are so scared they aren't just being obstinate, they are probably quiet due to shock, and following along because they have no other reference. But in games and movies/tv, it's nothing but no no no no no to everything. And sorry, but kids his age (like 5-6 ish) are more than capable of understanding "shit is bad right now, need to not cause a fuss"

But, yeah I might pick it up again soon, not sure, it's a stealth game that encourages not killing, because you're not playing a warrior, but a girl of like 14, so conflict-avoidance is primary, which I enjoy. But, eh, something about it isn't clicking for me entirely. I think it's mostly the kid, the constant questioning everything, just so he can be a frustration to his sister, and thus you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But in games and movies/tv, it's nothing but no no no no no to everything. And sorry, but kids his age (like 5-6 ish) are more than capable of understanding "shit is bad right now, need to not cause a fuss"
Agreed. Even when my age was around 5 or 6, I felt obnoxious kids like that needed an ass whooping from their parents or guardians.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

I think it's arbitrary which game we reward people richly for being skilled at and which game we look down on people for wasting their time getting good at while dismissing their skill as useless in "real life". I see no objective value to basketball that doom somehow lacks with the regards of their use in real life (presumably toward the achieving of survival or technological advancement). Hell, with warfare being more technological and less guys in trenches, or guys running and chugging grenades really far, a game about running and throwing balls accurately may actually be less useful than a game that can train you to pilot a drone really well and bomb fewer bridesmaids as you try to nail the groom's third cousin twice removed.

So yeah, if we are generous and call it a wash, at the end of the day what really matters is the entertainment value. And lets be honest, the reason sports are this big is because they are least common denominator entertainment that everyone is brainwashed into enjoying from their toddler years. If you had a way less violent game that was kinda like doom treated and funded the same as football you'd get the same situation. Hell, we can see what Fortnite is like and it has no comparable infrastructure nor is it presented to kids when they can't even write their name but rather they have to seek it out. Imagine how huge such a thing would be with fair/comparable support.

So yeah, if you wanna call people elitist or sad for proclaiming the value of their gaming skills, I'd imagine you'd wanna start elsewhere first as there are significantly more egregious examples of this that we let have a pass for no real reason, like calling guys who dance after they score a touchdown arrogant elitists because running past some dudes with a ball on your hands is nothing to brag over and won't create nuclear fusion or a vaccine for an illness or grow crops. It's literally useless past the entertainment people arbitrarily ascribe to it.

Personally, I think entertainment value is subjective so I'd settle with not judging anybody and letting them have their fun and be happy that they got good at something they care about, but that's just me being weird.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So yeah, if you wanna call people elitist or sad for proclaiming the value of their gaming skills, I'd imagine you'd wanna start elsewhere first as there are significantly more egregious examples of this that we let have a pass for no real reason, like calling guys who dance after they score a touchdown arrogant elitists because running past some dudes with a ball on your hands is nothing to brag over and won't create nuclear fusion or a vaccine for an illness or grow crops. It's literally useless past the entertainment people arbitrarily ascribe to it.
The difference I feel between athletes proclaiming their skills, and gamers doing the same, is that, while they are both fairly egotistical in my opinion, I've yet to see any basketball players, go up to a group of say, 12 year olds on a court, and shit talk and demean them for not "playing the game on their professional level" Kids who play on a lower level backboard, or with less awareness of the rules, but are just trying to play a game they enjoy. And then suddenly....I dunno, what's the name of someone famous who plays pro basket ball? *bothers to look that shit up* Lebron James, yes I'll use his name because I see his face a lot. If Lebron James showed up on that court, and just took the ball from the kids, and started dunking and checking all of them, yelling shit like "yeeeah bitches!! GIT GUD OR GO HOME!! THIS IS MY GAME!! YOU PLAY ON MY LEVEL OR YOU FUCK OFF!" he would be an asshole. And I know this, because they've often done sports comedy movies where adults play against children, and dominate them, and do you know how those adults are framed in the film? They're framed as assholes with ego problems.

There is no difference in your typical FromSoft zealot, behaving the same way, yet for some reason we give them a pass because...video games I guess? I honestly don't know why it's tolerated. A person can be as proud of their own achievements at a difficult task they want. But the second they start lording it over other people, and degrading them for not playing on par with them, they are being an arrogant asshole. There is no other way to slice that. And to demand that other people shouldn't even be ALLOWED to play the game, unless they play on their level, is equally shitbag behavior. Again, to Lebron James this shit, it would be like all the NBA players, going around the world, and demanding that all non-NBA regulation courts be dismantled, and everyone who wants to even touch a basketball, has to become a draftee for the NBA, otherwise they can just fuck off and git gud.

So yeah, fuck that kind of behavior. It's a toxic way of acting in human society, and shouldn't be encouraged.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
The difference I feel between athletes proclaiming their skills, and gamers doing the same, is that, while they are both fairly egotistical in my opinion, I've yet to see any basketball players, go up to a group of say, 12 year olds on a court, and shit talk and demean them for not "playing the game on their professional level" Kids who play on a lower level backboard, or with less awareness of the rules, but are just trying to play a game they enjoy. And then suddenly....I dunno, what's the name of someone famous who plays pro basket ball? *bothers to look that shit up* Lebron James, yes I'll use his name because I see his face a lot. If Lebron James showed up on that court, and just took the ball from the kids, and started dunking and checking all of them, yelling shit like "yeeeah bitches!! GIT GUD OR GO HOME!! THIS IS MY GAME!! YOU PLAY ON MY LEVEL OR YOU FUCK OFF!" he would be an asshole. And I know this, because they've often done sports comedy movies where adults play against children, and dominate them, and do you know how those adults are framed in the film? They're framed as assholes with ego problems.

There is no difference in your typical FromSoft zealot, behaving the same way, yet for some reason we give them a pass because...video games I guess? I honestly don't know why it's tolerated. A person can be as proud of their own achievements at a difficult task they want. But the second they start lording it over other people, and degrading them for not playing on par with them, they are being an arrogant asshole. There is no other way to slice that. And to demand that other people shouldn't even be ALLOWED to play the game, unless they play on their level, is equally shitbag behavior. Again, to Lebron James this shit, it would be like all the NBA players, going around the world, and demanding that all non-NBA regulation courts be dismantled, and everyone who wants to even touch a basketball, has to become a draftee for the NBA, otherwise they can just fuck off and git gud.

So yeah, fuck that kind of behavior. It's a toxic way of acting in human society, and shouldn't be encouraged.
The issue that I'm pointing at is that before you get to that point, people being professional at gaming is ascribed some modicum of absurdity and ridicule.

And I dunno who makes fun of literal kids for such a thing, people made fun for this are ones who presume to tell those professional basketball player-tier people what is what about the games they're pros at, all the while being on the level that they actually are at.

People don't randomly seek out 12 year olds to shit on and if someone knows they're talking to a kid they don't keep on going anyways. I don't think many 12 year olds play Sekiro either btw.

No, this is when you have arrgnorant people come into our domain with their fail opinions and when they're rebuffed they cry "elitist" like it is an argument.

Do you know what happens when Lebron speaks about baskteball? People shut the fuck up and LISTEN. When pro gamers speak and it so happens to contradict some of those people, journalists call them toxic/elitist or paint themselves like a victorian clown and recite their wisdom satirically or cherrypick some random asshole and paint everyone with that brush.

edit:

Some years back (x360 times) there was a study done, it found that the people who talk shit are legit bad at games. They do this to overcompensate. They're the ones being sexist or toxic online. The people ACTUALLY good at games are kind and helpful and happy. So yeah, you're not describing the pro basketball players here when you bring up this negativity, you're describing the has-been at their local park who are drunk/on crack and try to show off against kids. Again, not an honest approach.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The issue that I'm pointing at is that before you get to that point, people being professional at gaming is ascribed some modicum of absurdity and ridicule.
I agree, that's separate from what I'm talking about. I personally see no difference in someone training for a physical sport, or an esport. I personally don't give a shit about it either way, as it's just competitive entertainment, and I personally don't enjoy competitive activities, mostly because it fosters douchebaggery behavior in the players and spectators. Just look at the various showboaters, and toxic fans who fight proxy wars on behalf of their teams as evidence of this.

And I dunno who makes fun of literal kids for such a thing, people made fun for this are ones who presume to tell those professional basketball player-tier people what is what about the games they're pros at, all the while being on the level that they actually are at.
I'm not entirely sure what this sentence is supposed to say? Are you saying that you are comparing the git gud players to what...the 12 year olds saying such things to Lebron James? Because if that's what you are saying, and I'm genuinly not sure, please clarify if I'm reading that wrong, then I don't see how you can think that. On the subject of the whole "hardmode/easymode" debate, the largest volume is from the, in my basketball analogy, the "pro" players, telling everyone else, who wants to maybe, I dunno, play it on a less harsh level, because they just enjoy the game, but aren't good enough to play it on the pro level, telling them to git gud. I mean the dark souls git gud is a meme for a reason, and it's sure as hell not directed from the scrubs up to the elites. It's the other way around. So I stand by my anology of Lebron shit talking 12 year olds. And yes, I agree, that you don't see peole make fun of kids, but the fact is, that the online posts from people shitting on players they don't think are as good as them, often are being pointed at children, and basically anyone not in their specific demographic. That's just implicit in their criticism. The point I was trying to illustrate, is that no matter the medium, this type of "play as good as me, or fuck off" behavior, isn't good. It's the sign of someone who is an asshole. Lebron James' achievements as a pro basketball player, aren't diminished if a group of kids play on a reduced court at the local kid's gym. But that is exactly the kind of argument some of these FromSoft types make.

No, this is when you have arrgnorant people come into our domain with their fail opinions and when they're rebuffed they cry "elitist" like it is an argument.
Where the fuck do you get off claiming it as "your" domain? that's my entire point. You don't own the game, anymore than Lebron owns basketball. You own your copy of the game, but you don't own my copy. So don't come to my house and tell me how to play my game in my backyard Lebron!

I don't think many 12 year olds play Sekiro either btw.
You clearly don't know kids, if you think 12 year olds aren't hyped to play a game about samurai and ninjas with blood and violence. That's teenage crack for a lot of kids to play something like that.

edit:

Some years back (x360 times) there was a study done, it found that the people who talk shit are legit bad at games. They do this to overcompensate. They're the ones being sexist or toxic online. The people ACTUALLY good at games are kind and helpful and happy. So yeah, you're not describing the pro basketball players here when you bring up this negativity, you're describing the has-been at their local park who are drunk/on crack and try to show off against kids. Again, not an honest approach.
I'm happy to allow that the people online who declare themselves to be the "elite" players, might not be as elite as they claim, but they are still in the community that claims they have some ownership right to something that they actually don't. And that, because of their skills (real or imaginary), claim they can arbitrate who gets to play the game or not. And that's just fucked up behavior. If the, as you claim, actually good players would speak up and support a stance that is actually different from the "git gud" camp, then I would acknowledge a distinction. But they aren't, so I'm not.

And I'm also not going to derail this what are you currently playing thread any further with this debate. Feel free to PM me if you wish to continue though. I don't wish to clutter this any further.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
edit:

This kinda of thing I saw when I used to umpire AFL. I was doing state divisions which are trying to break through to the national. The best player on the team was usually the arrogant toxic prick... because they couldn't quite make it to the big leagues. So they over compensated. Not a has been, an almost was. They would dunk on everyone in the lower league to make them feel good.

So, I wouldnt have picked Lebron, I would have picked someone who bounces between the NBA and whatever lower level exists

EDIT
I'm happy to allow that the people online who declare themselves to be the "elite" players, might not be as elite as they claim, but they are still in the community that claims they have some ownership right to something that they actually don't. And that, because of their skills (real or imaginary), claim they can arbitrate who gets to play the game or not. And that's just fucked up behavior. If the, as you claim, actually good players would speak up and support a stance that is actually different from the "git gud" camp, then I would acknowledge a distinction. But they aren't, so I'm not.

And I'm also not going to derail this what are you currently playing thread any further with this debate. Feel free to PM me if you wish to continue though. I don't wish to clutter this any further.
How do you think they're going to git gud.. by pissing everyone else off so they leave and then they are on top

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
This kinda of thing I saw when I used to umpire AFL. I was doing state divisions which are trying to break through to the national. The best player on the team was usually the arrogant toxic prick... because they couldn't quite make it to the big leagues. So they over compensated. Not a has been, an almost was. They would dunk on everyone in the lower league to make them feel good.

So, I wouldnt have picked Lebron, I would have picked someone who bounces between the NBA and whatever lower level exists
Fine, pick whoever you want to fill in for lebron, it's not an actual important detail, but hey, let's just nitpick and be pedantic, it's the internet! Whether it's actually Lebron, or someone who just thinks they are as good as Lebron, they are still behaving like the hypothetical Lebron I described. And if it's such an important detail that they are different, fine, but I don't see the actual Lebron's, piping up to say things to contradict the git gud camp. So they might as well be the same when it comes to the debate. and even if the Lebrons WERE speaking up, it still doesn't justify the git gud behavior as being a valid stance.

gah! I'm doing it again.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I agree, that's separate from what I'm talking about. I personally see no difference in someone training for a physical sport, or an esport. I personally don't give a shit about it either way, as it's just competitive entertainment, and I personally don't enjoy competitive activities, mostly because it fosters douchebaggery behavior in the players and spectators. Just look at the various showboaters, and toxic fans who fight proxy wars on behalf of their teams as evidence of this.
There's usually two kinds of people, the kinds who overcompensate and aren't actually all that good, and the people who are just having fun with their community mates who may sound rude but are just teasing in an acceptable in the community fashion. It may sound worse to an audience member but the person they're talking to is just having fun and looking for their chance to have a go too.

I'm not entirely sure what this sentence is supposed to say? Are you saying that you are comparing the git gud players to what...the 12 year olds saying such things to Lebron James? Because if that's what you are saying, and I'm genuinly not sure, please clarify if I'm reading that wrong, then I don't see how you can think that. On the subject of the whole "hardmode/easymode" debate, the largest volume is from the, in my basketball analogy, the "pro" players, telling everyone else, who wants to maybe, I dunno, play it on a less harsh level, because they just enjoy the game, but aren't good enough to play it on the pro level, telling them to git gud. I mean the dark souls git gud is a meme for a reason, and it's sure as hell not directed from the scrubs up to the elites. It's the other way around. So I stand by my anology of Lebron shit talking 12 year olds. And yes, I agree, that you don't see peole make fun of kids, but the fact is, that the online posts from people shitting on players they don't think are as good as them, often are being pointed at children, and basically anyone not in their specific demographic. That's just implicit in their criticism. The point I was trying to illustrate, is that no matter the medium, this type of "play as good as me, or fuck off" behavior, isn't good. It's the sign of someone who is an asshole. Lebron James' achievements as a pro basketball player, aren't diminished if a group of kids play on a reduced court at the local kid's gym. But that is exactly the kind of argument some of these FromSoft types make.
No the 12 year olds are not the reviewers who post about playing Sekiro with cheats, who get ridiculed. I specified that I don't believe anybody is talking shit to any actual 12 year olds, this by definitions precludes 12 year old from relevance in this subject. I'm referring to the journalists (has beens/never was) talking to the pro gramers (Lebron) with an unearned air of authority.

Again, nobody is trying to criticize someone they recognize as a kid, just to be clear.

Where the fuck do you get off claiming it as "your" domain? that's my entire point. You don't own the game, anymore than Lebron owns basketball. You own your copy of the game, but you don't own my copy. So don't come to my house and tell me how to play my game in my backyard Lebron!
The domain is our community, you can game without being a member of the gaming community. These people aren't just gaming, they're also trying to mold the community to their tastes, while lacking the adequate gravitas to achieve such a feat.

Nobody's gonna give a fuck what you do in your back yard but if you write an article on espn.com about how in your house rules you count free throws as 3 points each for some messed up reason and that that's ok, and you do so while expecting to be respected because you're "playing a game your way and having fun". when you do this in that specific context, yes, people will mock the hell out of you.
You clearly don't know kids, if you think 12 year olds aren't hyped to play a game about samurai and ninjas with blood and violence. That's teenage crack for a lot of kids to play something like that.
I know that part since I was one of them, I just don't think Sekiro is the game you'd wanna scratch the ninja sim itch with. Even back in the day when I was in that age range, Ninja Gaiden was well out of the range of skill for most of my peers. Basically, there's other games with that kinda feel to them that aren't as hard. 12 year olds won't care about from soft difficulty and so on yet. Most of em anyhow.

I didn't see anywhere where anyone said people shouldn't get to play a game. People just make fun of something that they find humorous. There's definitely no such widespread climate.

My approach is to simply beat someone who is being an asshole into submission until they go away or change their behavior. All this hand-wringing is a waste of time. I get you can't do that in games that aren't multiplayer, but I also legit don't care what people say/think about single player games and don't look for their opinions. I have to be forced to interact with those opinions (such as when they're posted in some other irrelevant topics like here) for me to even know what some random dudes allegedly said about some other random dudes about a game that requires no dude-to-dude interaction whatsoever.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Fine, pick whoever you want to fill in for lebron, it's not an actual important detail, but hey, let's just nitpick and be pedantic, it's the internet! Whether it's actually Lebron, or someone who just thinks they are as good as Lebron, they are still behaving like the hypothetical Lebron I described. And if it's such an important detail that they are different, fine, but I don't see the actual Lebron's, piping up to say things to contradict the git gud camp. So they might as well be the same when it comes to the debate. and even if the Lebrons WERE speaking up, it still doesn't justify the git gud behavior as being a valid stance.

gah! I'm doing it again.
There's usually two kinds of people, the kinds who overcompensate and aren't actually all that good, and the people who are just having fun with their community mates who may sound rude but are just teasing in an acceptable in the community fashion. It may sound worse to an audience member but the person they're talking to is just having fun and looking for their chance to have a go too.

No the 12 year olds are not the reviewers who post about playing Sekiro with cheats, who get ridiculed. I specified that I don't believe anybody is talking shit to any actual 12 year olds, this by definitions precludes 12 year old from relevance in this subject. I'm referring to the journalists (has beens/never was) talking to the pro gramers (Lebron) with an unearned air of authority.

Again, nobody is trying to criticize someone they recognize as a kid, just to be clear.

The domain is our community, you can game without being a member of the gaming community. These people aren't just gaming, they're also trying to mold the community to their tastes, while lacking the adequate gravitas to achieve such a feat.

Nobody's gonna give a fuck what you do in your back yard but if you write an article on espn.com about how in your house rules you count free throws as 3 points each for some messed up reason and that that's ok, and you do so while expecting to be respected because you're "playing a game your way and having fun". when you do this in that specific context, yes, people will mock the hell out of you.

I know that part since I was one of them, I just don't think Sekiro is the game you'd wanna scratch the ninja sim itch. Even back in the day when I was in that age range, Ninja Gaiden was well out of the range of skill for most of my peers. Basically, there's other games with that kinda feel to them that aren't as hard. 12 year olds won't care about from soft difficulty and so on yet. Most of em anyhow.

I didn't see anywhere where anyone said people shouldn't get to play a game. People just make fun of something that they find humorous. There's definitely no such widespread climate.

My approach is to simply beat someone who is being an asshole into submission until they go away or change their behavior. All this hand-wringing is a waste of time. I get you can't do that in games that aren't multiplayer, but I also legit don't care what people say/think about single player games and don't look for their opinions. I have to be forced to interact with those opinions (such as when they're posted in some other irrelevant topics like here) for me to even know what some random dudes allegedly said about some other random dudes about a game that interacts no dude-to-dude interaction whatsoever.

I just want to say it’s kinda chuckle worthy with all this talk about elite gamers being more or less horrible people, and notice the “elite member” tag under your usernames.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

I just want to say it’s kinda chuckle worthy with all this talk about elite gamers being more or less horrible people, and notice the “elite member” tag under your usernames.
Should change it to omega chad. Would go along with my gender description!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Dooky Doom eternal. This game is hard. Why is it so hard? Ok, yes maybe i picked the hard mode, but it's never usually that hard! It's a rare feeling to have where you can actually sense the limitations of a controller as opposed to a K&M with hardly any personal experience around the latter. The many directions i need to point simply just cannot be pointed at in time, the many buttons for specific weaknesses oft confused in the panic of the moment. Damn. Still, i think i prefer it over the original, it has more game in it, more variety, wackiness, scale, story, seems like they wanted to go nuts with the concept and nothing stopped them.
Although the first message upon starting the game being "Checking your online privileges" sets off a kneejerk inner response of "check your own online privileges, you cheeky kunt...i payed for this physical game disc!" So there's that. And seeing the doom slayer is offputting, knowing he's just generic shooter protag flesh dude is boring. If it were me, i would've stylistically hidden any hint of flesh and face from the camera so the viewer can imagine whatever flavour of beefcake they'd so desire, as it wouldn't lose anything for it.
Also, i find yahtzee's take on it quite contradictory, as he claims its just more of the same but then goes on to say it demands a different more strategic playstyle, which it certainly does, but means it cannot therefore only be more of the same. It does feel a different beast for sure.

Oh well, should get back to relentlessly dying while wishing i wasn't too stubborn to turn down the mistakenly judged difficulty setting i suppose.
I actually found Doom Eternal to be significantly easier than Doom 2016 because of all the available mobility options. It's just so much easier to dodge around and not get cornered. Of course those same mobility options probably make it much more difficult to play on a controller because you have to wildly spin around to shoot things mid-air quite often.

Also, I agree, I hated seeing Doom Slayer's arms. I got the Doom 1 suit as soon as I could to cover up the gross flesh bits.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde