Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
See I really loved A Machine For Pigs, in part because I assumed spooky things. Like you I knew from the get-go the kids were dead, but I assumed their ghosts were the ones haunting us. Like an established, if unclear, threat.
The new one, Rebirth(Get it? Children and motherhood and some such) is still making this big song and dance with the dead kid being some sort of twist. I'm an additional 2 hours in and its still playing the "Oh you're just not smart enough to understand" shit that I figured out in the first room.
I liked AMFP for it's steampunk/Victorian setting. I didn't particularly care so much for the obvious TWIST with the kids and the fact it kept banging on about the "DID YOU KNOW THE SLAUGHTERED PIGS ARE A METAPHOR FOR HUMANS IN AN UNCARING INDUSTRIALIZED WORLD? Because if you didn't, we'll tell you again in 15 min".

I like metaphors in my games. I can even stomach unsubtle ones(Hello Metal Gear) but despite it's short runtime man did A Machine for Pigs keep reminding you what it's all about in the more overt way possible.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I keep playing the demo for Ghostrunner. I mean it's short as hell, but damn if I don't find myself wanting to load it back up, and see if I can do the runs with less deaths. I'm down to only 2 deaths on my last attempt, compared to I think like....50+ deaths on my first try? So...that's improvement. It's really odd for me to WANT to play a game again, just for improvement reasons, though I do recall having that same desire with Mirror's Edge, so it's probably a parkour related urge, to be able to effortlessly bounce between obstacles.

I even went ahead and pre-ordered it. It's releasing in 5 days, and I definitely was going to pick it up on release anyway, so might as well get it cheaper now.

Also been playing Hardspace: Shipbreaker again, they recently added a new hull type, though I haven't advanced to that one yet. I decided to play on Ironman mode, with no clones, only one life, because I found it's pretty easy to not die in that game, if you are simply careful and observant. I'm looking forward to getting the new hull cracked open, and see what's inside it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I hate to tell you this but if you've got thalassophobia, this is either going to be the best horror game ever for you or the absolutely most terrifying. You're gonna be going deep before it's all over and there's scary shit in those waters.

On a more useful note, just focus on getting food and water to start with. Then you can focus on exploring around your pod and crafting upgrades to your O2 tank as well as some vehicles and such to help get around.
I won’t claim to suffer full-blown thalassophobia… but maybe I do. Put it this way, were everyone throughout history like me, no other continents would ever have been discovered. And the ocean depths? Pssh, if it’s below waist-deep, it’d remain a mystery for eternity. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve no irrational fear of water; I can swim like a fish (in a pool) and thoroughly enjoy my annual kayaking trip down the Illinois River, but the idea of “no land in sight in any direction,” let alone being stranded with no land in sight is the stuff of nightmares.

I didn’t know what to expect when I started Subnautica; I thought it was going to be a Minecraft-like and had seen it’d garnered some positive reviews, so was anticipating a good time, but I wasn’t expecting anything like what I got. I caught myself holding my breath in real life several times. I’m going to give it another go now that I know what to expect and your tip to focus on the absolute basics, but if it gets too freaky for me, I can walk away; I’ve got a lot of new games to play that don’t turn me into a panicky coward…

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I won’t claim to suffer full-blown thalassophobia… but maybe I do. Put it this way, were everyone throughout history like me, no other continents would ever have been discovered. And the ocean depths? Pssh, if it’s below waist-deep, it’d remain a mystery for eternity. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve no irrational fear of water; I can swim like a fish (in a pool) and thoroughly enjoy my annual kayaking trip down the Illinois River, but the idea of “no land in sight in any direction,” let alone being stranded with no land in sight is the stuff of nightmares.
The no land in sight thing doesn't really bother me. It's the "I have no idea what's below me in those deep, DARK waters, and I have no way to adequately defend myself if something comes surging up out of the deep to eat me. " This was exacerbated by a shark week documentary, about them doing studies on great white attacks on seals/surfers, and they were testing out what they thought the reason was. One team, basically made a mock seal/surfer, and had a camera on it, pointed down in the water, to try and record the undersurge strike that GW's are famous for, where they breach with the seal in their mouth.

And....holy shit was it disturbing. I mean, they show the footage, and it's just "....dark water....dark water....dark water..." *human eye notices slight variation in uniform darkness, before brain can adequately register the newly forming shape, it's expanded to be NOTHING BUT A GIANT MAW OF TEETH, aiming right at the camera, and then darkness as the device was broken from the strike.* You seriously didn't have time to really react to "shit! shark!" before the thing already ate you. So, that's what bothers me about swimming in the open water. I'm fine in a boat, that's not really a problem. But flailing about treading water in the deep? Pssh, fuck that.

Funny thing is I used to not have that problem, but I've definitely developed it over time.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The no land in sight thing doesn't really bother me. It's the "I have no idea what's below me in those deep, DARK waters, and I have no way to adequately defend myself if something comes surging up out of the deep to eat me. " This was exacerbated by a shark week documentary, about them doing studies on great white attacks on seals/surfers, and they were testing out what they thought the reason was. One team, basically made a mock seal/surfer, and had a camera on it, pointed down in the water, to try and record the undersurge strike that GW's are famous for, where they breach with the seal in their mouth.

And....holy shit was it disturbing. I mean, they show the footage, and it's just "....dark water....dark water....dark water..." *human eye notices slight variation in uniform darkness, before brain can adequately register the newly forming shape, it's expanded to be NOTHING BUT A GIANT MAW OF TEETH, aiming right at the camera, and then darkness as the device was broken from the strike.* You seriously didn't have time to really react to "shit! shark!" before the thing already ate you. So, that's what bothers me about swimming in the open water. I'm fine in a boat, that's not really a problem. But flailing about treading water in the deep? Pssh, fuck that.

Funny thing is I used to not have that problem, but I've definitely developed it over time.
Oh, you don't have to tell me about fear of the unknown of the depths; that's assumed with the implication of being in open water: the utter helplessness in an element various predators have evolved over millions of years to thrive in. Like, it boggles my mind those who have a fascination with the seas and oceans, those that willingly put on scuba gear and foray into the depths with a curiosity that outranks reason. Who was the first person to swim with a fucking blue whale?? What psychopath saw the largest living creature EVAR and decided "I wanna get closer to that." What insane person decided their own life was worth testing "myths of mindless violence" about the myriad breeds of sharks? Ugh, give me chills just thinking about it. Have you seen a goblin shark?? That's a fucking thing down there!

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Overwatch? It's Roadhog time!

On the Switch...ew no.

I'm honestly shocked that anyone would want to play a competitive shooter on the Switch.
The switch is actually my preferred way of aiming. Gyro aiming feels more intuitive that even a Mouse for me.

And to be honest, I don't want to play a competitive shooter. I am not competitive. I really just love Lucio that much.

D.va, Mercy, Zenyatta, and Orisa are the only other characters I can stand playing. But Lucio is literally my favorite character from 2010's. Hands down.

I mean, have you tried games like Call of Juarez - Gunslinger? It's done very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
More This War of Mine. Reached ceasefire in 32 days with 3 adults (2 walk-ins) and a kid. Kids are a handicap since they can't build or craft anything - except some consumables, if you take the time to teach them - and can't guard or scavenge at night. Pretty much all they do is vacuum resources and pester the other useful people in the house for attention. So points for accuracy.

I will say that once you become acquainted with every location it's easy to learn their gimmick and exploit them while minimizing trips and increasing loot productivity by bringing along the right tools or the right trade. What locations are featured every run and the order in which they become available (or not) is randomized, but the main things and events in them are scripted in such a way that you can plan around them pretty effectively. Maybe the game would benefit from a more roguelike or procedural approach, but it's tough enough anyway.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The switch is actually my preferred way of aiming. Gyro aiming feels more intuitive that even a Mouse for me.

And to be honest, I don't want to play a competitive shooter. I am not competitive. I really just Lucio that much.

D.va, Mercy, Zenyatta, and Orisa are the only other characters I can stand playing. But Lucio is literally my favorite character from 2010's. Hands down.

I mean, have you tried games like Call of Juarez - Gunslinger? It's done very well.
Yeah Lucio, Mercy and ...shit I can't remember her name, the hard light woman with the robotic arm. Those are probably the ones I've had the most play time with. Also Brigette when they released her.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

And to be honest, I don't want to play a competitive shooter. I am not competitive. I really just love Lucio that much.

Fair enough I guess, but I wouldn't play Overwatch on the Switch. It's just not a very good port, and it barely hits 30 fps (and has dips pretty often). Maybe it got better since launch, but I remember on launch it was a buggy mess.

Also, if you like gyro aim you can do that on PC with a PS4 controller.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Fair enough I guess, but I wouldn't play Overwatch on the Switch. It's just not a very good port, and it barely hits 30 fps (and has dips pretty often). Maybe it got better since launch, but I remember on launch it was a buggy mess.

While the ps4 pad is awesome, it has a problem with using thinner plastic for the dpad than the ps3 pad did.

It legit breaks easier basically. You won't notice it if you don't do games that require the dpad but if you play fighters you will go through a few of them.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

I understand that some people are sensitive to that. Overwatch looks fine for me. But I'm sorry you didn't get a good experience when you saw and/or played it. I just downloaded it for the free week it has last week and it felt good being Lucio again.

Also

The list of games that actually use Gyro for PS4

Shooting

-Paladins
-Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush 2
-Days Gone (patched in)
-Blue State

Driving

-Gran Turismo Sport
-Driveclub
-Wipeout Omega
-Grand Theft Auto 5

Other

-Flow
-Flower
-Journey
-Elite Dangerous

So eh. I just wish the Nintendo Switch would become the light gun game port machine it was always meant to be.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hades
One Deck Dungeon
Bayonetta

Just finished
Elderborn
Blood (death wish mod)
Doom Eternal DLC

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah Lucio, Mercy and ...shit I can't remember her name, the hard light woman with the robotic arm. Those are probably the ones I've had the most play time with. Also Brigette when they released her.
Symetra I’m pretty sure is who you’re talking about.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Symetra I’m pretty sure is who you’re talking about.
Yes! That's her name, thank you. Really loved her playstyle of support and defensive turreting. Plus she's super hot, and got a sexy voice that melts butter. I hate that they seemed to line her up as a villain, at least when contrasted with Lucio's BG, as I found her hardlight construction for the betterment of humanity personally compelling as a plot element. But, the "one world" is often portrayed in a sinister way in pretty much all media, at least western/us generated media, so of course she's gotta be totalitarian or whatever.

Still, she's fun to play in that game.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Finished Dino Crisis two nights ago and am now playing the PC port of Super Mario 64. I hope there will be more ports soon. 60 fps, 4K resolution, wireless controller, none of the audio hiccups of emulators. Perfect. I might end up getting all 120 stars again, the fourth time in my life. Collecting them surprisingly quickly.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
well, recently I used virtualbox to play windows 3.1-95 games as well I played Steam games at least occasionally(recently I got Sid Meier Civilization 6)

I also uninstalled Blizzard App from my PC for Blizzard entertainment having Second Electronic Arts(read: Activision) for its parent company and Blizzard's recent downhill in general. not to mention I asked Blizzard to delete my Battle.net account not only tilted a bit too much in Overwatch competitive mode

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I understand that some people are sensitive to that. Overwatch looks fine for me. But I'm sorry you didn't get a good experience when you saw and/or played it. I just downloaded it for the free week it has last week and it felt good being Lucio again.

Also

The list of games that actually use Gyro for PS4

Shooting

-Paladins
-Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush 2
-Days Gone (patched in)
-Blue State

Driving

-Gran Turismo Sport
-Driveclub
-Wipeout Omega
-Grand Theft Auto 5

Other

-Flow
-Flower
-Journey
-Elite Dangerous

So eh. I just wish the Nintendo Switch would become the light gun game port machine it was always meant to be.
Yeah, the PS4 doesn't use the gyro capabilities of the dualshock 4 much. Most likely because everyone hated sixaxis on the PS3. But the PS4 controller on the PC is another story. There's programs that allow you to use the PS4's gyro to play, and make it usable in most games that allow you to use a pad.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah, the PS4 doesn't use the gyro capabilities of the dualshock 4 much. Most likely because everyone hated sixaxis on the PS3. But the PS4 controller on the PC is another story. There's programs that allow you to use the PS4's gyro to play, and make it usable in most games that allow you to use a pad.
The pad is literally the biggest misstep PS4 ever did.

There was so much potential, but they didn't even use it enough for their first party games.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The pad is literally the biggest misstep PS4 ever did.

There was so much potential, but they didn't even use it enough for their first party games.
You can directly blame it on Lair for being bad.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
You can directly blame it on Lair for being bad.
Well more like blame Sony for horribly mismanaging that title and force it to have motion controls as the only option, though it wasn't great even with regular controls when the patch came out, it was an OK game.