What are you currently playing?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well I’ve only tried literally three times so far, but yeah he’s pretty tanky himself. Other bosses often had some specific weak point or more effective item/prosthetic to use on them for bigger damage, along with being able to simply outperform them with the parry/strike rhythm, but here it’s just…it kinda reminds me of Vendrick from DS2 (pretty sure he’s under “attrition” in the gamer dictionary).

I’ve read to save the malcontent for the last phase, so haven’t tried that yet either.
Ah, yeah I basically found one of his attacks that's like a 4-5 swing combo he does, and you can quickly dodge under/behind him for a series of smacks. Usually more than FROM actually allows you, like 3-4 hits! But yes, the malcontent has impact on him, though I never knew that when fighting him. I just watched a video on "the cheesiest ways to beat the sekiro bosses" by Tyrannicon, and I think it was shown there. I basically gave up on prosthetics in most cases for boss fights, unless it was just so clearly broadcast, like how firecrackers scare horses is explained to you, 20 feet before you fight a horse mounted boss :LOL: I found, like most enemies in FROM games, the amount of time it takes you to trigger the powerful versions of the prosthetics, is so long, the enemies just ***** slap you to interrupt, making it a waste of time/health to even attempt it.

I found the story behind why the DoH is what he is, to be a bit odd. Like I didn't even connect in the narrative what was going on with him, until my wife brought it up after the fact, having read some spoiler stuff. And after I guess it made sense, but I was still like "ok but why now? what triggered this?"

Still, I would say he's not terribly difficult, at least from my personal experience, as a relative FROM newb. He was nowhere near as rage inducing as several of the other bosses that I smashed my face against for exponentially longer. I dunno if I'm officially doing it wrong, using the tactic of "avoid his attacks, find an opening, hit him, repeat" but that seems to be the SOP for FROM games, so I don't think so.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ah, yeah I basically found one of his attacks that's like a 4-5 swing combo he does, and you can quickly dodge under/behind him for a series of smacks. Usually more than FROM actually allows you, like 3-4 hits! But yes, the malcontent has impact on him, though I never knew that when fighting him. I just watched a video on "the cheesiest ways to beat the sekiro bosses" by Tyrannicon, and I think it was shown there. I basically gave up on prosthetics in most cases for boss fights, unless it was just so clearly broadcast, like how firecrackers scare horses is explained to you, 20 feet before you fight a horse mounted boss :LOL: I found, like most enemies in FROM games, the amount of time it takes you to trigger the powerful versions of the prosthetics, is so long, the enemies just ***** slap you to interrupt, making it a waste of time/health to even attempt it.

I found the story behind why the DoH is what he is, to be a bit odd. Like I didn't even connect in the narrative what was going on with him, until my wife brought it up after the fact, having read some spoiler stuff. And after I guess it made sense, but I was still like "ok but why now? what triggered this?"

Still, I would say he's not terribly difficult, at least from my personal experience, as a relative FROM newb. He was nowhere near as rage inducing as several of the other bosses that I smashed my face against for exponentially longer. I dunno if I'm officially doing it wrong, using the tactic of "avoid his attacks, find an opening, hit him, repeat" but that seems to be the SOP for FROM games, so I don't think so.
Good to know. You'd still probably be surprised though at the amount of variance in regards to what bosses people think are easy/difficult from FROM games. I think that’s really part of the mystique around it all, how some people can spend hours on a boss like Ornstein and Smough while others can take them down first or second try on the regular. It seems to be like this for the majority of bosses in each game too.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So after another few tries against Sculptor Demon and losing patience for his thick health bars, I said fuck it and clicked the first YouTube video on him I saw,

I smiled pleasantly when it still worked, but felt a slight tinge of disappointment for using the coward’s path. Maybe I’ll try again legit on NG+ if still feeling ambitious after everything else.

I do think there’s some interesting lore there, although it brings up the issue with the sparse, cryptic nature of FROM’s storytelling. During the course of simply playing the game, at least for me, there’s no way I’m going to keep mental tabs on all these randomly placed tidbits to recall and mentally piece together for whenever their big revelations come to pass. So the organically occurring in-game payoff is typically kinda lost on me, and I’m left watching a Vaati Vidya special before the chin scratch and head nod happens.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So after another few tries against Sculptor Demon and losing patience for his thick health bars, I said fuck it and clicked the first YouTube video on him I saw,

I smiled pleasantly when it still worked, but felt a slight tinge of disappointment for using the coward’s path. Maybe I’ll try again legit on NG+ if still feeling ambitious after everything else.

I do think there’s some interesting lore there, although it brings up the issue with the sparse, cryptic nature of FROM’s storytelling. During the course of simply playing the game, at least for me, there’s no way I’m going to keep mental tabs on all these randomly placed tidbits to recall and mentally piece together for whenever their big revelations come to pass. So the organically occurring in-game payoff is typically kinda lost on me, and I’m left watching a Vaati Vidya special before the chin scratch and head nod happens.
Yeah my question about the lore behind the DoH is "yeah but why did this happen now?" What was the triggering event? But, the writing in Sekiro is on par with a coke fueled fever dream as far as logical structure, attention to linear design, and common sense. But hey, you get fight tough bosses, so it's all any FROM fans want!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's my main problem, most these games copying either screw up something simple so hard, or do nothing interesting, and then end up playing worse because of it.
Yeah, I think that's one reason I enjoyed Dante's Inferno so much. Yes, mechanically, it was nothing more than a god of war clone, of the design at that time. But they did something completely different with the theme, setting, leveling and progression, how you could make your way through the missions, either as a redeemer or punisher. I never felt like I was just playing somebody's cash grab knockoff. Sure it used the same mechanics but, shit every FPS does that on the fundamental level, and we don't care. Some systems just prove themselves the superior interface for conveying gaming input from player, to in-game response. And so they persist, replicate, and expand.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, I think that's one reason I enjoyed Dante's Inferno so much. Yes, mechanically, it was nothing more than a god of war clone, of the design at that time. But they did something completely different with the theme, setting, leveling and progression, how you could make your way through the missions, either as a redeemer or punisher. I never felt like I was just playing somebody's cash grab knockoff. Sure it used the same mechanics but, shit every FPS does that on the fundamental level, and we don't care. Some systems just prove themselves the superior interface for conveying gaming input from player, to in-game response. And so they persist, replicate, and expand.
I will give Visceral credit for making a competent action game that does something a bit different. Despite the sales being decent, I know a lot of professional critics ragged on the game, because it was so blatant about its clonage. The fact that you only had two weapon types, probably didn't help for certain people. As even most God of War clones have multiple weapon ties by that point. Visceral took it in stride and considered a compliment.

Like I mentioned before with other posts, God of War itself was a Devil May Cry clone. And before it came out, any game that copied DMC was called a Devil May Cry clone. Yet even the Devil May Cry clones did something different or expanded how gameplay work more than the original. Gungrave was all about the shooting. Shinobi and Kunoichi were all about platforming. Ninja Gaiden was about extreme combat and some minor platforming and puzzle solving. It was also one of the first DMC clone to have two attack buttons. Bujingai was all about the wuxia. You get the idea. They always tried something unique or interesting. This was still during the 6th generation, where experimentation was allowed a lot more.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I will give Visceral credit for making a competent action game that does something a bit different. Despite the sales being decent, I know a lot of professional critics ragged on the game, because it was so blatant about its clonage. The fact that you only had two weapon types, probably didn't help for certain people. As even most God of War clones have multiple weapon ties by that point. Visceral took it in stride and considered a compliment.
See I find that bit about "not enough weapons" pretty funny, as I rarely used the alternate weapons in GoW. So for me it was just fine, it didn't include content that I didn't give a shit about anyway :LOL:

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See I find that bit about "not enough weapons" pretty funny, as I rarely used the alternate weapons in GoW. So for me it was just fine, it didn't include content that I didn't give a shit about anyway :LOL:
There are people who do that. Either as a self-imposed challenge, or because the Blade of Chaos/Exile/Athena are so good. In GoW: Ascension, you don't even get new permanent weapons. The Blades get elemental effects with new move sets the more you upgrade and the only other alternate weapon type are temporary. Something you would see in an old-school brawler.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Ezekiel, I just did my first attempt at Arcade Mode, Mania+ Difficulty! I played as Blaze and got the S Rank, Time - 2:00:23, Score: 485,198 pts. #49.

Not bad for a first attempt. I did die 3 times, but was able snag 9 lives total in the end with 1 star left.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Like I mentioned before with other posts, God of War itself was a Devil May Cry clone. And before it came out, any game that copied DMC was called a Devil May Cry clone. Yet even the Devil May Cry clones did something different or expanded how gameplay work more than the original. Gungrave was all about the shooting. Shinobi and Kunoichi were all about platforming. Ninja Gaiden was about extreme combat and some minor platforming and puzzle solving. It was also one of the first DMC clone to have two attack buttons. Bujingai was all about the wuxia. You get the idea. They always tried something unique or interesting. This was still during the 6th generation, where experimentation was allowed a lot more.
See I find that bit about "not enough weapons" pretty funny, as I rarely used the alternate weapons in GoW. So for me it was just fine, it didn't include content that I didn't give a shit about anyway

Trying to think if people complained about lack of weapon variety in the Darksiders games. IMO that’s another one that didn’t need it.

There are people who do that. Either as a self-imposed challenge, or because the Blade of Chaos/Exile/Athena are so good. In GoW: Ascension, you don't even get new permanent weapons. The Blades get elemental effects with new move sets the more you upgrade and the only other alternate weapon type are temporary. Something you would see in an old-school brawler.
That’s an unsung aspect about Ascension. Outside of specific situations, across the whole series the blade were the de facto choice for combat, and magic specials were a good complimentary. Here they kinda combined the two.

GoW reboot pulled off something neat too in making the axe and blades pretty evenly integral to different parts of the game in both combat and puzzles. They were both fun to use too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Trying to think if people complained about lack of weapon variety in the Darksiders games. IMO that’s another one that didn’t need it.
Darksiders 1 surprisingly didn't get called on this. What helps is that it had more weapon variety in comparison to Dante's Inferno. Professional critics mean while and certain YouTubers ragged on about the original game copying everyone and everything that was popular at the time. Darksiders 1 copied Prince of Persia, Legend of Zelda, DMC/God of War, Portal, darkSector, and Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain (Armake21 considers that a compliment).

Darksiders 2 and 3 never got complaints on weapon variety.
GoW reboot pulled off something neat too in making the axe and blades pretty evenly integral to different parts of the game in both combat and puzzles. They were both fun to use too.
What helps is that both weapons have a deep and intricate combo and skill system. Not as deep as say, DMC or Bayo, but still deep. Easy to learn, but not too hard to master. Still takes skill to know everything properly. Kratos has 4 weapons when you take his shield and fists in to account as well. While the shield is more defensive, there are good amount of offensive options.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So the enhanced edition of Disco Elysium was up on the summer sale on psn and I finally got around to trying the game out. Very psychological and wordy but still really engaging. I love how the game is very much judging and being sarcastic at you for making the asshole choices sometimes, like early on where you talk about this girl going on a dick carousel, was hilarious XD.

I've been going hard on super action heavy fighters for a couple months now so the slower and more contemplative nature of this game is a good change of pace. My drunkard cop is focused on motor skills and intelligence (6 and 4 respectively) which apparently makes your health pools very weak, so I've died a bunch, but it always has been comical so it's ok.

One issue I have is those freaking loading times. I dunno if that's a ps4 only issue but it takes forever to change areas.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Some more Axiom Verge.

The game is pretty good at giving you a bunch of reasons to keep cycling through your weapons instead of sticking to your favorite. The structure of the levels and placement of enemies is also pretty clever - every screen or area plays very differently whether you're going left or right, up or down. Controls are nice, tight, responsive.

The boss fights are intimidating but ultimately easy to cheese because they're largely immobile and rife with blindspots. I'm three down and the last couple were a picnic once I settled for a blindspot.

The art style is a bit of an eyesore. Loud colors, horrible pixelation, most enemies are nondescript shapes and blobs. The look of each area is repetitive and interchangeable after a while, which makes backtracking and exploration in general a bit of a drag. The map's no help either - tiny, doesn't allow zooming, does little to identify the area its supposed to be representing.

The story is... weird, and barely there at that. You're given minimal context and after that it's one of those technobabble plots about figuring out what's going on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played LA Machine Guns on Wii. Still a fun ass Sega arcade game, and my favorite of the two game compilation pack. I ranked 1st place with my overall score.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Just finished up with Red Alert 3. I forgot how fun the game is, and as an adult I actually enjoyed the campaign way more than the first time I played because I picked up on all the ridiculous cheese and intentionally hammy acting.

Yes, that is Tim Curry visibly stopping himself from laughing mid monolog.

I've been out of the RTS game for a while but I feel like the game is still pretty mechanically solid, at least in as much as I didn't find myself missing certain QoL changes that have become common since. The sad thing is they have a huge amount of flavor text presented via loading screens that I missed because every level loaded in like 10 seconds or less.

Next up is. I dunno. Played Risk of Rain a bit, and installed Doom Eternal and Control. One of those two next I guess.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I played LA Machine Guns on Wii. Still a fun ass Sega arcade game, and my favorite of the two game compilation pack. I ranked 1st place with my overall score.

I loved playing these when going to arcades was still a thing for me. There are still some arcades down here but most of the machines are just stuff with point cards and online rankings that keep people coming back for more.

LA Machineguns was a bit of a rarity here, most places had the older Gunblade cabinets. I actually found one of the big LA Machineguns arcades in Korea when I went to.... Lotte World? Some theme park. It had the floor pieces you could stand on. I did eventually find one locally that I managed to do a full playthrough of.

I never played the Wii version but I can't imagine it being the same without the giant vibrating machineguns.

There's something about these old ass arcade graphics that I really like the look of. Don't know if it's just nostalgia. I mean I can see that its dated as hell looking, but it just feels attractive to me anyway. There's something I like about big polygonal energy bullets and these goofy old explosion effects. Virtual On is another arcade classic which I feel just looks nice even now, it has its own esoteric charm.

===

Been playing Idol Manager. It's been a while since I played any sorta business sim type game. I used to be a big fan of the preSims preEA Maxis days. I spent a lot of my childhood on SimFarm, SimPark, SimCity, SimTower etc... and this sorta feels nostalgic. I also like idolm@ster so the theme of the game kinda tickles me. After some initial troubles though, it's really easy to get a sustainable business happening and roll in the big bucks. Then there's not too much the game has to offer, it's just a lot of micromanagement with a somewhat shitty UI. I'm just gonna get through the story and see what's up with that I suppose, my business is already way too big to fail.

Exploiting underaged workers in the entertainment industry, capitalism ho.

Despite the weird Adult/Sexual content tags it has on Steam.... it has none of that. As far as I can tell anyway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I loved playing these when going to arcades was still a thing for me. There are still some arcades down here but most of the machines are just stuff with point cards and online rankings that keep people coming back for more.

LA Machineguns was a bit of a rarity here, most places had the older Gunblade cabinets. I actually found one of the big LA Machineguns arcades in Korea when I went to.... Lotte World? Some theme park. It had the floor pieces you could stand on. I did eventually find one locally that I managed to do a full playthrough of.

I never played the Wii version but I can't imagine it being the same without the giant vibrating machineguns.
While true, it still had fun as always. The last time I remember touching the actual arcade cabinet was in 2009.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Just finished up with Red Alert 3. I forgot how fun the game is, and as an adult I actually enjoyed the campaign way more than the first time I played because I picked up on all the ridiculous cheese and intentionally hammy acting.

Yes, that is Tim Curry visibly stopping himself from laughing mid monolog.

I've been out of the RTS game for a while but I feel like the game is still pretty mechanically solid, at least in as much as I didn't find myself missing certain QoL changes that have become common since. The sad thing is they have a huge amount of flavor text presented via loading screens that I missed because every level loaded in like 10 seconds or less.

Next up is. I dunno. Played Risk of Rain a bit, and installed Doom Eternal and Control. One of those two next I guess.
My vote would be Control. I played a bit of risk of rain....just didn't do it for me, I dunno. And I found the first Doom fairly uninteresting, so I can't suggest Eternal either.

Control was fantastic IMO. But then I do have a thing for Remedy games. They tend to make games with a mood that suits me.