What are you currently playing?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Achievements I only care about if they're not crazy hard or labor intensive to get. So I don't care about Plating games because it's generally far too much time and effort invested. However, if they're things I can do with some reasonable effort, sure, I'll try it. So getting the pilgrim to the end of the line seems doable(at least right now). I'm trying to imagine a no flask run.....Hell, apparently there's a NG+ where you have to take a substantial debuff to start and even that sounds rough.
I haven't done NG+ so I don't know how harsh that it. Killing every boss in the game without healing wasn't as punishing as I thought it would be. My biggest grievance was Tres Angustias, partly because the screen is on autoscroll so you can't leave a guilt mark behind as a free heal. But by the end it was no different than playing regularly. I even killed a few in a single attempt. You can use your guilt marks as well as get three assists from Viridiana without voiding the trophy. Like the speedrun, if you've already played the game once I think most people are as ready as they'll ever be. Nothing was ever as vicious and punishing as the Pthumerian Descendant in Bloodborne.

Anyway, is there any explanation how your character comes back after dying? I can't help but think it's tied to the hundreds of corpses in the starting area who look similar to you but honestly it's hard to tell what's going on.
The game is fairly cryptic about what's going on but the ending(s) let you infer a few things about your character, that pile of corpses and how the game begins.
You'll probably get Ending B on your first go, whereupon you can look up what to do for Ending A (it's simple and perfectly doable by then), which sheds a little more light on the story. Thankfully you don't have to play the whole game again for that, just beat the final boss one more time.

It's all pretty par for the course tbh. Like the Fromsoftware games, the lore is the primary condiment and flavors the experience visually and thematically. But the broad strokes narratives about cycles of condemnation or redemption remain more or less interchangeable.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I haven't done NG+ so I don't know how harsh that it. Killing every boss in the game without healing wasn't as punishing as I thought it would be. My biggest grievance was Tres Angustias, partly because the screen is on autoscroll so you can't leave a guilt mark behind as a free heal. But by the end it was no different than playing regularly. I even killed a few in a single attempt. You can use your guilt marks as well as get three assists from Viridiana without voiding the trophy. Like the speedrun, if you've already played the game once I think most people are as ready as they'll ever be. Nothing was ever as vicious and punishing as the Pthumerian Descendant in Bloodborne.

The Great Isz Chalice, with Ebrietas at the end under FRC conditions was the peak for me, nearly breaking my sanity.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Finished Kingdom Hearts. I didn't remember that final boss being as bullshit as it was, but most of the game was still really fun and I would recommend it to most people, though not above 2. Anyway, I was considering playing all the games in sequence, but since I already know the plot and never actually finished the last one, I'm going to play 2 and then 3 next instead.

I'm a rebel like that.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Not to much progress in Blasphomus but I cleared the Patio area(which I helpfully learned is more of a Courtyard in Spain). Not a big area but I got all the things and made it to the first bonfire inside of the Mother of Mothers Cathedral. Now I seem to have a choice between continuing into the main church or heading down into what I assume it the library and I'm not sure if it matters like it did before. I'm also gonna mention that while I do appreciate having a bonfire before each boss for ease of retry, it does make a slightly apprehensive when I see one now.

And somehow I managed to keep all the kissers of wounds alive thus far so hooray!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finished Kingdom Hearts. I didn't remember that final boss being as bullshit as it was, but most of the game was still really fun and I would recommend it to most people, though not above 2. Anyway, I was considering playing all the games in sequence, but since I already know the plot and never actually finished the last one, I'm going to play 2 and then 3 next instead.

I'm a rebel not completely insane like that.
Fixed that last sentence for you.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Fixed that last sentence for you.
Well, as I said, I know all that there is to know. I don't need the refresher course first, I'm just playing Kingdom Hearts 2 because I like it a lot. Besides, if I knew nothing about the series, I would be completely insane to go 1-2-3 without any of the games in between.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Still playing Celeste. I beat all the B sides up to and including level 7, and finished level 8A. I've been playing level 9 for about roughly forever and I've just gotten to the end... wait no, it was a fakeout! Actually I've just reached a tutorial for yet another ridiculous frame perfect move, and I just looked up a Youtube video, I'M LESS THAN HALFWAY THROUGH THE LEVEL! This is TERRIBLE design! This level is, like, as long as the rest of the game! What are they even thinking?! You are supposed to supposed to break things up so the player doesn't feel like they are drowning in the sheer interminable length! This level could have easily been two levels, at least, and would have been vastly improved by breaking it up.

I think I hate this game. It was fun at first, but it really seems like the developers are trying to make it as frustrating as possible with every fiddly new mechanic they expect you to master. I've already described how fiddly, fast, and terrible golden feathers are, but it really seems like every new mechanic introduced since level 4 is terrible. Level 4 introduces the wind that slows you down and just messes up the timing for your jump and feels awful and also the blue bubbles that require exact dash timing and direction to not get smashed into spikes. Level 5 has the red bubbles that are almost as bad as the blue ones. Level 8 introduces the fiddly pixel perfect lava blocks that launch you in wildly different direction if you are just slightly out of position. Level 9 introduces fiddly exploding fish that along with the pinball bumpers from level 6 require exact pixel perfect interaction to make the jumps correctly and yet sway back and forth to make it that much more frustrating, and also introduces the ridiculous frame perfect speedrun strat moves that are ridiculous and unfun to use and I just cannot wallbounce out of a wavedash, I just can't. It's too precise, and I can't react fast enough. The only two mechanics I've enjoyed have been the platforms that move when you dash from level 5 and the jellyfish from level 9, because you control every part of them when using them so it's actually fun.

The game should have stopped after the credits rolled, it was a good ending and they ruin it, both in story and gameplay.

In other news, I've started replaying Undertale. It's been about 5 years since I played it last and I'm still enjoying it on replay so far.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Well, as I said, I know all that there is to know. I don't need the refresher course first, I'm just playing Kingdom Hearts 2 because I like it a lot. Besides, if I knew nothing about the series, I would be completely insane to go 1-2-3 without any of the games in between.
And you... understand it? I take it back, you are insane. You'd have to be.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
That video was quite informative, but I already learned everything there is to know about Kingdom Hearts from videogamedunkey

Sad part is that about 95% of this video is completely serious and part of the KH cannon. Also all the game name are legit...

I love SNES/PS1 square, but they clearly got too big for themselves and the lunatic started running the asylum.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
That video was quite informative, but I already learned everything there is to know about Kingdom Hearts from videogamedunkey

I think that the best part is that all those absurd game titles he was mentioning are actually real, like what?
They really called the games that?!

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Still playing Celeste. I beat all the B sides up to and including level 7, and finished level 8A. I've been playing level 9 for about roughly forever and I've just gotten to the end... wait no, it was a fakeout! Actually I've just reached a tutorial for yet another ridiculous frame perfect move, and I just looked up a Youtube video, I'M LESS THAN HALFWAY THROUGH THE LEVEL! This is TERRIBLE design! This level is, like, as long as the rest of the game! What are they even thinking?! You are supposed to supposed to break things up so the player doesn't feel like they are drowning in the sheer interminable length! This level could have easily been two levels, at least, and would have been vastly improved by breaking it up.

I think I hate this game. It was fun at first, but it really seems like the developers are trying to make it as frustrating as possible with every fiddly new mechanic they expect you to master. I've already described how fiddly, fast, and terrible golden feathers are, but it really seems like every new mechanic introduced since level 4 is terrible. Level 4 introduces the wind that slows you down and just messes up the timing for your jump and feels awful and also the blue bubbles that require exact dash timing and direction to not get smashed into spikes. Level 5 has the red bubbles that are almost as bad as the blue ones. Level 8 introduces the fiddly pixel perfect lava blocks that launch you in wildly different direction if you are just slightly out of position. Level 9 introduces fiddly exploding fish that along with the pinball bumpers from level 6 require exact pixel perfect interaction to make the jumps correctly and yet sway back and forth to make it that much more frustrating, and also introduces the ridiculous frame perfect speedrun strat moves that are ridiculous and unfun to use and I just cannot wallbounce out of a wavedash, I just can't. It's too precise, and I can't react fast enough. The only two mechanics I've enjoyed have been the platforms that move when you dash from level 5 and the jellyfish from level 9, because you control every part of them when using them so it's actually fun.

The game should have stopped after the credits rolled, it was a good ending and they ruin it, both in story and gameplay.

In other news, I've started replaying Undertale. It's been about 5 years since I played it last and I'm still enjoying it on replay so far.
I played to the point you reach the top of the mountain and basically called it good there. I believe it's chapter 7. I took at look at how to access chapter 8 and chapter 9 and realized I wasn't willing to put in nearly that much time and effort to unlock and then play through it. Especially learning how Chapter 9 is basically super hard, even compared to the first 7 chapters which I felt were quite difficult enough. I think I did maybe one of the B sides and decided I was good.

I did watch a LP of chapter 9 and decided that was sufficient. I really did enjoy the game despite dying like 7 billion times and having to use the assist mode in parts I couldn't beat legit(and I don't regret that). I just felt that since the entire game is framed as reaching the top of the mountain, her reaching the top was basically the natural endpoint and Ch 8 and 9 were basically just "extra" levels.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did my 2nd Mania+ Arcade Run. This time with Cherry Hunter. I managed to beat my old high score and got 513, 603 with the S Rank. Some of the alternate blitz, special attacks, and Star attacks are out right game breakers, if you know how to use or exploit them. For Cherry, I used her regular blitz, have her second FWRD+SPCL and AIR FWRD+SPCL. I kept her original Star Attack, because that has better use than Triple Townsend. Mainly in story and arcade mode. In Survival, the latter has better use.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I played to the point you reach the top of the mountain and basically called it good there. I believe it's chapter 7. I took at look at how to access chapter 8 and chapter 9 and realized I wasn't willing to put in nearly that much time and effort to unlock and then play through it. Especially learning how Chapter 9 is basically super hard, even compared to the first 7 chapters which I felt were quite difficult enough. I think I did maybe one of the B sides and decided I was good.

I did watch a LP of chapter 9 and decided that was sufficient. I really did enjoy the game despite dying like 7 billion times and having to use the assist mode in parts I couldn't beat legit(and I don't regret that). I just felt that since the entire game is framed as reaching the top of the mountain, her reaching the top was basically the natural endpoint and Ch 8 and 9 were basically just "extra" levels.
You definitely made the correct choice, the problem is I'm really stubborn and obsessive when it comes to stuff like this. I also actually had fun getting all the crystal hearts and even a few of the B sides, and at that point the game is just saying "well, Chapter 9 is waiting..." so you go in thinking "Okay, just one more A side chapter, can't be thaaat bad," then 3 hours later and you're only 1/3 of the way through the chapter.

But yes, Chapter 7 is definitely the proper ending. The little plot there was is resolved at the end of Ch 7 with a nice satisfying triumphant conclusion, then Ch 8 is... there, and then in Ch 9 they kill off the old woman for no reason just to give the game a bit of a downer ending. I mean, I didn't really care that much since she wasn't really well developed, but it's still kind of a sucky addition to a complete story, in my opinion. I don't really care what happens at the end of Chapter 9, it can't improve the ending beyond what it already was at the end of 7 when the credits rolled.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Cleared the Library of Neglected Words in Blasphemous. This is the 2nd consecutive area I've cleared without fighting a proper boss and I'm getting a bit worried, though it does a really nice job of that Souls map design where the further you get from a bonfire, the more apprehensive you get. And despite the metriodvania feel to it, it does feel like it's grabbing the progression more from Souls where the bosses just block progress to the next area directly(or a plot coupon in case of some of the bosses) rather then gating new abilities you need to go further(unless there's a double jump somewhere in the game, which I think maybe because of some of the out of reach goodies I've found). With that said, I am glad they place bonfires right before the boss rooms(Did I already say that? Well, I'm saying it again if I did), especially due to just how many damn instant kill spike pits this game has.

Anyway, not shocked at all that the NOT-Vatican has a library in the basement full of forbidden books and ghosts just chilling reading the books, because of course it would. I will say that the librarian enemies can just fuck right off and I'm pretty sure they're basically reskins of those cross-throwing jerks from Jondo. And speaking of which, that big Watchman with the giant keyring is very good at spooking me. How he looks like an enemy and just kind of appears almost at random, so it seems, only for him to just want to talk. I did something for him by finding a hidden chamber but god if i really know what I did. He did give me something nice, so cool.

About to start the Sleeping Canvases, which is apparently where the NOT-Vatican keeps all the artwork that's heretical or something. And instead of burning them they just, lock it in the basement for a rainy day or something. Which, sure, I guess, why not? Everyone seems like they're fucking wierd in this place, when they're not burning their own faces with boiling oil for funsies.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

I managed the first three B sides before giving up. They got on my nerves in ways that the rest of the game never really did. Almost made me hate the game too, though I consider them separate from the whole experience.

I also gave up on level 9 as soon as I learned it was basically DLC and I had already officially cleared the base game. No point in letting it ruin the experience either.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Crysis 2 again. I find this game better overall than Crysis. Crysis does have way more open-ended level design for 2/3 of its campaign, but immediately becomes not fun to play when you get to the Ceph. 2 on the other hand is more consistent, despite being more linear compared to the first game. You still have options on how you want tackle most levels. Some parts in levels you can skip by, if you're good enough at stealth or got the proper upgrades. Speaking of upgrades, I got the upgrade that recharges your suit power and health instantly. Cost 8000 Nano points! That is way too expensive! You fight more Ceph at the 1/3 and 1/2 mark, so it's not that big of an issue, but the upgrades can be pricey for some simple upgrades.

Crytek should have kept maximum speed as its own energy meter though. I don't know why they decided to simplify it in 2. Armor and health should have their own meters like the first game. That was already a good gameplay mechanic they got rid of for no reason other than attempt to "streamline" and make easier for console players. Most players are not stupid, and can easily work out three different meters that do different things. Then again, this was during the 7th generation where many companies were dumbing down or going overboard in making things easier. The game is still challenging, but it's one of those problems that never needed fixing nor anyone was asking for.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finished Undertale again. Played the Sans fight again because I have a save file backed up specifically to replay it because I like it so much, then I went through the genocide ending while I was there. After that I wiped the save file and the secret save file and played the game normally for the pacifist ending. My opinion on the game is unchanged from when it was new, it's still a great experience. So many secrets and little interactions to find. The game will recognize so many little things that you might try to do, it's fantastic. The true ending is pretty much the perfect end, just a good feeling all around. I enjoy the characters and all the silly dialogue you can get from Papyrus and Undyne on pretty much every screen.

The only part I'm not really fond of is Alphys. Just don't like the character at all. The 'date' is hands down the worst part of the game, very cringe-bad.

Other than that, great game, but I mean, everybody already knows that so there isn't too much else to say.