What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Since I got the Xbox One X, I've been booting up some 360 games and testing them out. A lot of these games definitely benefit from the frame rate and resolution boost. Many of these games could run a 360 hot, but the ONE X plays these smooth and quietly. The only thing that sucks is that I can't transfer my old saves with a USB stick. Even though I have them backed up. I didn't use any of the cloud save features, because I do not have Xbox live. I won't be paying for that for quite a while.

There are some games I'm going to have to do again. And there are other games where I'm not going to bother, as I either have the better versions on PS4 or switch, or I played a game so many times that me doing new games not going to do much for me at this point. I will boot up the FEAR games at some point though. I heard especially, that the first game gets so much boost from from the Xbox One or Series X.

I decided to give Killer Is Dead a go. It is Grasshopper Studios second best hack and slash game. Or their best one if you're not comparing it to No More Heroes 3. Though even this game has certain advantages over NMH3. To upgrade faster in this game, I mainly do the finishers that give you experience points. Once your hits get up to a certain number, usually 25 and above, and the enemies at death, you get to use one of four optional finishers. Playing this game of modern hardware makes a load times go by super fast. They weren't that slow on the old hardware, but the PS3 version was known for slow for loading times.

I recommend anyone that likes the studio's work, or likes stylish action games. It won't change your life, but it's better than most of the slasher games that came out on the 360/PS3 era.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gurdian Heroes XBLA - Since I can't carry my old save file, I decided to just redownload and play, because you can't play it on 360 anymore. At least it saves my achievements. The game is so awesome and it's just fun playing it again. This game was built from the ground up for multiple playthroughs. Alternate paths, and about 6 different ending with two variants. I decided to do one of the harder paths, and go for the one where heaven and hell are both evil, and you wreck their shit. I played on Remix Normal mode. It's the best way to play, and has additional mechanics compared to the original. Treasure has the original version as an option for nostalgia or those that like it that way. The Remix mode has too many improvement options to go back to original, other than curiosity. I have not beat this game on Hard Mode and never will. You only get 3 credits and that is it. The original Saturn version has a glitch to give you 99 credits on Hard, but they fixed in the remaster.

I consider this Treasure's best game. The most replay value. Multiple characters. Extra modes. A12 player (6 player in the Sega Saturn version) versus mode. You heard that right. Guardian Heroes is in my top 5 of 2D brawlers. It's the best brawler with RPG elements, because your stats are never permanent after completing a campaign. They reset, allowing for huge experimentation, and never overpowering the characters. They're are overpowered exploits, if you know what you are doing. Here's a hint: For most characters, you want to put your stats in to LUCK. It acts as your DEF. LUCK also increases your chances of getting more EXP, so there is no reason not to do this. Other than tedious challenge that is not worth it. Gonna do more playthroughs later.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
23 hours into Elden Ring. Does anyone else get the sense that this game is kinda easy for a Fromsoft game? So far I haven't really struggled with a single boss. I don't think any one has taken more than 3 attempts. The areas don't feel that hard either. Or am I at this point just too tuned in to the strats that always work? Running past everything in a dire enough situation is still viable, as is hugging the legs of giant bosses (latest one being the Magma Wyrm). I'm running a Zweihander+heavy armor dodge build (blocking's for pussies), and most enemies don't really pose a threat. I don't really feel like I'm overleveled either, nor have I ever had to use the spirit summonings to help in fights.

I guess this could be due to the open world structure: if you ever get the sense you're in an area that's too high level, you can always just go somewhere else. Granted, I have spent quite a lot of time just going through the opening areas again and again to see if I missed something (the answer so far has been yes every single time).

Lastly, I took the portal in the Four Belfries that takes you to a part of Farum Azula. I just don't know how they do it. 7 games in and the environment design still makes my jaw drop.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
23 hours into Elden Ring. Does anyone else get the sense that this game is kinda easy for a Fromsoft game? So far I haven't really struggled with a single boss. I don't think any one has taken more than 3 attempts. The areas don't feel that hard either. Or am I at this point just too tuned in to the strats that always work? Running past everything in a dire enough situation is still viable, as is hugging the legs of giant bosses (latest one being the Magma Wyrm). I'm running a Zweihander+heavy armor dodge build (blocking's for pussies), and most enemies don't really pose a threat. I don't really feel like I'm overleveled either, nor have I ever had to use the spirit summonings to help in fights.

I guess this could be due to the open world structure: if you ever get the sense you're in an area that's too high level, you can always just go somewhere else. Granted, I have spent quite a lot of time just going through the opening areas again and again to see if I missed something (the answer so far has been yes every single time).

Lastly, I took the portal in the Four Belfries that takes you to a part of Farum Azula. I just don't know how they do it. 7 games in and the environment design still makes my jaw drop.
Standard ashes on it or did you swap for something else?

I mean, it sounds like you’re clicking with the game’s design, and I get the impression i-frames are more forgiving here with most bosses being more aggressive. But yeah, the openness means more chances to gear up which can make things easier. I’ve found it about typical for FROM difficulty after 70-something hours, with a small handful of bosses standing out (Radahn, the beast/knight combo before him in the same area, Fallingstar Beast, Elemer of the Briar).

Late game apparently has a significant difficulty spike too, so I’m sure your skills will be tested more at some point.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Standard ashes on it or did you swap for something else?

I mean, it sounds like you’re clicking with the game’s design, and I get the impression i-frames are more forgiving here with most bosses being more aggressive. But yeah, the openness means more chances to gear up which can make things easier. I’ve found it about typical for FROM difficulty after 70-something hours, with a small handful of bosses standing out (Radahn, the beast/knight combo before him in the same area, Fallingstar Beast, Elemer of the Briar).

Late game apparently has a significant difficulty spike too, so I’m sure your skills will be tested more at some point.
There's some hard ass bosses after the capitol. There was one optional boss I struggled with more then most of the bosses up to that point(the Commander of Castle Sol) and I'm currently stuck at the Fire Giant(though I got him down to almost dead last night and then stayed up for another 30 minutes trying to replicate that).

The fire giant's big issue is he has a METRIC FUCK TON of health and if you're close to him to hit his ankles like you should be you can't fucking see what he's doing. And don't bother summoning co-op because then the health pool issue feels like it becomes so much worse. Might as well just spec out the mimic tear or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I finished Serious Sam Siberian mayhem then started playing Serious Sam 4 since I heard really just good things about Siberian Mayhem but kinda middling things about Serious Sam 4. I'm so damn annoyed at those people. Sure Siberian Mayhem is awesome but so is Serious Sam 4. It really is a return to form after SS3 kinda deviated from things and took forever to give those nice big hordes. The music is great, the story is a much more fun then it was in SS3, plus the writing has some legit funny stuff. Not to mention some new really overpowered weapons. Looking at you chainsaw.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finished playing Killer Is Dead again. Once you get the charged punch, the counter punch and shot, and upgrade Mondo's Sword Limiter, the combat really opens up. It's the best version of NMH combat ever made. The Charge Cannon is game breaker when upgraded at least twice. I went and got all the dodge upgrades and self heal upgrades. Bosses are mostly good, with one or two meh/whatever. Still head and shoulders above Lollipop Chainsaw, DmC, and Ninja Gaiden 3 in that department.

My only gripes with the game are the gameplay mechanics of the time: mash X/SQR on QTE clash, you're dizzy and have to wiggle the analog stick. messing up your controller, and some enemies have weird hit detection and priority. The dumb and tiring forced, slow walking sections that was present in every AAA game during 2013. The call girls bothering you at least once or twice in a level because they're getting lonely! No, I got the weapons I needed from you. Your gigolo missions are boring not worth doing multiple times for some digital ass.

There are some weird glitches that can happen with certain finishers, but nothing game breaking. Also, while don't have a problem with the game length, it is short. I beat the game in 4 hours and 25 minutes on Normal.

Another thing (spoiler warning for the ending): Who the hell is going to kill Mondo now? He becomes the new big bad, and killed his older brother David. There is no one else who can do it, and the world is pretty much fucked. Even if someone was able to do so, the cycle will start all over again. They definitely did not want to make a sequel to this game. I cannot blame them, as they all want to move on to different ideas and concepts.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Still playing Dandara. It's a lot of fun and I can't figure out why it didn't make a bigger splash within the indie/Metroidvania scene, maybe not Hollow Knight big but up there. I guess it doesn't have much of a personality and no real story or characters or lore to connect with. But the levels are fun, the control scheme is unique, there's a few nice surprises (in regards to gameplay) along the way and the difficulty is a plus for these kinds of games. It's short but well worth replaying. And the music's great.

Sounds a bit like something from Furi.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
mm2.jpg

Didn't even remember this part. It's immoral. Where you have to reflect the light from mirror to mirror to sunlight block as the Black Boes keep interrupting you and the light keeps cooling off. Someone on the team was thinking, "How can I really piss off the player?" Maybe I was less shit back then and that's why I don't remember.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
View attachment 6200

Didn't even remember this part. It's immoral. Where you have to reflect the light from mirror to mirror to sunlight block as the Black Boes keep interrupting you and the light keeps cooling off. Someone on the team was thinking, "How can I really piss off the player?" Maybe I was less shit back then and that's why I don't remember.
I'd blocked that out of my memory until you showed me that. And I played the game first the first time 3 months ago.

Thanks Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The completionist in me is satisfied about getting all the stray fairies. The practical part of me is disappointed for remembering all you get for finding all the fairies in the Tower Temple pictured above is the lousy fairy sword that can only be used with one of the C buttons.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Finished Serious Sam 4. Its so good and despite how jank the last boss fight is, its still awesome. I'm so annoyed I listened to people saying it was meh, cause it is awesome.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finished Serious Sam 4. Its so good and despite how jank the last boss fight is, its still awesome. I'm so annoyed I listened to people saying it was meh, cause it is awesome.
That is the heart of a true gamer. Play and enjoy what makes you happy. Try not to listen too much to constant negative criticism. You'll be truly free in the end.

I've been playing this again.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That is the heart of a true gamer. Play and enjoy what makes you happy. Try not to listen too much to constant negative criticism. You'll be truly free in the end.
I had it happen with Darksiders 3 also and ended up loving that game and being annoyed it took me so long to play it because of other people. Its the only other 3d souls like that I really got into besides the actual souls series.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I had it happen with Darksiders 3 also and ended up loving that game and being annoyed it took me so long to play it because of other people. Its the only other 3d souls like that I really got into besides the actual souls series.
I know the complaints immediately stopped after that big patch update. The patch gave you the option to play Darksiders III more like the first two games. Glad you enjoyed Darksiders III, but this is one of those cases, where following the Souls formula was not the best idea. This has always been a constant problem for the series, since day one. Constantly copying ideas from other games that are/were in-vouge at the time. Regardless if they makes sense being in the games or not.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I know the complaints immediately stopped after that big patch update. The patch gave you the option to play Darksiders III more like the first two games. Glad you enjoyed Darksiders III, but this is one of those cases, where following the Souls formula was not the best idea. This has always been a constant problem for the series, since day one. Constantly copying ideas from other games that are/were in-vouge at the time. Regardless if they makes sense being in the games or not.
When did that patch launch? I have no idea if I played that version or not. Darksiders has indeed always copied gameplay from other games, Darksiders 2 was the most original, but the first was very derivative of Zelda, Genesis was very derivative of dungeon crawlers and 3 was derivative of the souls series. But Darksiders was able to establish itself with an interesting story and great art design that looked like almost nothing else on the market.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When did that patch launch?
Two weeks later. It's called Classic Mode.
Darksiders has indeed always copied gameplay from other games, Darksiders 2 was the most original, but the first was very derivative of Zelda, Genesis was very derivative of dungeon crawlers and 3 was derivative of the souls series.
Darksiders II's loot system was from Diablo II, and it's more emphasis on dodging was derived from Bayonetta, but without the Witch Time. The series as a whole is a spiritual successor to Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver. The first game is the most noticeable about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Played Asura's Wrath for the rest of the evening. It was fun going through the game again. I managed to get mostly S Ranks on all the episodes, with some A Ranks.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Beat the main story in Deaths Door. Its such a damn charming game, super cute main character and fantastic sound track with a good story about death. Turns out there is more after the credits roll. Also playing Orcs Must Die 3 since I got it with a humble bundle. Its pretty good, but feels like its kinda missing something that the first 2 games had, not sure what that is though.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren