What are you escaping from?

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011

My school is alright, I have friends, good family, and am generally happy. That^, though, is my only problem. It never nags at me most of the time, but still, a steel post is all I have, so horaay for games and this site!

dracina

Sep 8, 2012
I'm escaping from having to wait so long to get back to college. The Debt caught up really fast and now I have to wait till I pay some off before I can go back. This is a long boring process and... ooo! The internet! ~distracted~

aether-x3

Jul 15, 2010
Loneliness, The Idea of having to get a job/going to job interviews/looking for jobs, Lack of motivation to get up and leave the house, The fact that I have no idea what I want to do in life, Being an adult. i could go on.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
people i can't relate to.

i am pretty sure most of you feel the same way. i am kind of an outcast i my Society cause i am different from most the other. the escapist is the only forum please where i like to be. you are all civilized, you're intellectual, you're funny and you have good debating arguments. i really like the escapist for that. we work as a team even if we never met each other or know each other. we don't always agree but we solve those problems in an adult and civilized manner

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Matthew94 said:
People.

Sure I'm making an active effort to chat to them and don't stay in my room (unless it's night) but fuck there isn't much to chat about.
I know that feeling..

Person: "So what football team do you support?"
Me: "Oh.. I don't like football."
Person: "Surely you have a team though?"
Me: "Er.. Nope, I really can't stand it."
Person: "Ah well, what are you into."
Me: "Oh y'know, gaming, stuff like that."
Person: "I've totally preordered [Insert latest sports or CoD clone]"
Me: "Yeeeaahh, I don't see the point in sports games, and I don't play many shooters."
Person: "Oh what console do you have then?"
Me: "I have a PC."

That's about when the conversation dies or either goes into recent TV shows, where I state I don't own a TV, or music, which most "average" people have never heard of (Hipsterframes). Most average people are just really boring and seemingly only ever talk about sports, TV or politics.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Escaping? November of 2009: An accident occurred when I was programming a simple comm protocol for transfers through port 3485. Six hours, 2 and a half keyboards, a quad-linked monitor swap and one tennis-ball later... I was stuck within the Ethernet. It took some promises and some backdoor shenanigans, but I can now travel through the Internet. The Escapist exists, so I visit.

>.>

I'm escaping from the weeks I don't see ZP? Because it's a funny show? I guess I'm also escaping from not seeing the Big Picture?

Oh! I'm also escaping from not sharing my opinions with random people.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I am really damn lazy and dislike having to do anything. I also hate talking to people as im incredibly awkward usually and prefer to avoid any kind of conversation, it's an effort for me to walk up to someone and talk to them usually.

So I guess im escaping from having to work and talk to people.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Xartyve2 said:
Boredom, I guess. I usually check in here when I'm waiting for my frozen pizza to heat up or waiting to be taken off hold. This or Minecraft.
Fuckin'....what? This was almost exactly what I was going to post, although replace the frozen pizza with macaroni and cheese, and being on hold with buttfuck all to do. When I've got nothing to do and time to kill, it's either here or playing Minecraft. All my castles!

L0dest0ne

Sep 24, 2012
There's nothing to do before, after and during lunch at school. You people are my only entertainment during the day.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Escapism could be expanded to include just about any liesure activity. Depending on what you're escaping from, escape referring to your train of thought of course. If I go home and knit, my mind is occupied with yarn and knitting needles rather than relationship problems.

It's easy to point to movies, books and games as escaping your own situation, but becoming preoccupied with a dandelion is pretty much the same thing.

I could go to my office to escape Pandora.

irishmanwithagun

Mar 6, 2012
Kaleion said:
My emotions I guess, well more like my lack of emotions, I mean I come here and I'm not afraid to say that I love something or that I'm scared of something, here I can sort off express any emotion I want, where as in real life it seems I can only express boredom, sarcasm, anger and pity, I never smile, I never cry, I never laugh, I'm just like a rotten emotionless husk there, except I actually really want to help and I care about people, but it's hard to be taken seriously when you always look and sound so indifferent.

I guess that what I mean is that it's hard to be an optimist when I look and sound like pessimist, but I guess it's my fault if I actually laughed at the jokes I find funny, maybe people wouldn't think I'm so bitter and sad, what annoys me most is that even when I'm really exited about something I sound like I'm bored when I explain it, which it's why I like it here, if I type that I'm exited about something people will read it as if I actually was talking excitedly about it, or at leas I think that's how they'll read it, if they don't I really hope they don't tell me.
I've got a vaguely similar story. A lot of the time people who don't know me mistake me for either a smug, know-it-all twat, an insufferably boring depressive or an immature, teenage prick simply because I'm so bad at expressing myself that I tend to form radically different impressions of myself to different people.
I'm here to forget that I'll never be as handsome or as good a banjo player as Winston Marshall.