What are you favorite sounding instruments?

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
String instruments. Violins and Cellos are at the top of the list, followed closely by pianos. Horn instruments are severely hit and miss for me, mostly miss.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
The french horn, the noise it makes is just totally counter intuitive to how it looks and its flare is amazing.

Zenomorph

Jul 12, 2010
Acoustic Guitar is my all time favorite sounding instrument, any song that has one in it immediately draws me.

Chasing-The-Light

Jul 16, 2011
There's not many instruments that I /don't/ enjoy listening to. But I do really love the sound of the Cello. I also really like Eastern instruments. I don't know what any of them are called, but I love listening to traditional instrumental music from the East. Maybe that's just me.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hard to say since any instrument can sound good under the right circumstances but two notable ones are the clavichord and bass guitar. Clavichord because oh my god Doom II theme music and the bass guitar because it's...well Bruce Campbell says it best. Groovy.

saoirse13

Mar 21, 2012
My favourite has to be either the saxophone or the harmonica. Both are great, and I personally could listen to them for hours.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
If this thread proves anything, it's that the instrument really isn't all that important... At least as much as the creative intent behind the instrument. A talented artist can invoke any feeling with just about any instrument... Except the ukulele. Fuck that thing. If I could erase one invention from the world, it would be the ukulele.

Cellos probably do win if only for their diversity. Hell, you can make it sound just like an electric guitar if you do it right.

Whoatemysupper

Aug 20, 2010
The only instrument I inherently dislike is the jazz organ. Ooooooh I hate that sound. It ruins so many sporting events for me.
My favourite however must be the piano because A, I play it, and B, it sounds awesome and the range of notes and volume on a grand is amazing.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
The best raw sound? Cello without contest. I love the piano, but I've gotta give the award to cello.

Also, another one I like is the saxophone. Yes, the majority of sax music sounds obnoxious, but I specifically remember being in middle school and hearing a girl singing. I had to look because it was so clear and beautiful--but it was just some high school kid playing sax. It was the only time I've heard a saxophone sound so good--so good I mistook it for a human voice.

I've listened to thousands of songs since then and haven't heard the saxophone played like that since. My memory may be distorted, since that was about ten years ago, but it left a strong impression.

Meanwhile, I think I'll go listen to some Apocalyptica.

The "video" for this song is pretty pointless, so feel free to browse while listening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaLoBdqcvVY

ScaryAlmond

Sep 12, 2011
I really don't mind what instrument as long as it makes awesome music.
I am a bit partial to the violin this guy has a fair few good pieces all nerdy as hell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yydcG9woWA game of thrones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5K09mqwZc&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SPA82B3F8724AAC8EA skyrim
Ps how do I do full screen video instead of the hyperlink

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Operatic Singers, seeing as I'm training to be one, and any brass instrument, though I'm very partial to the French Horn. Very beautiful and mellow timbre.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
My favourite-sounding instruments are the guitar (classical especially), clarinet, trombone and violin.

I also like "8-bit".

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
The piano, completely and utterly. It's a beast of an instrument, and in the hands of an expert it's truly epic.

Top to bottom.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Smithburg said:
Me personally I've always loved stringed instruments like the violin and the erhu, and I've always liked some of the deeper sounding pianos. What about you? what are your favorite instruments?

It can be anything that makes music, even electronically.
This. I love string instruments like Violin, Cello, and Guitar as well as Grand Pianos.

I think the Angel theme song did it rather well.
and the Goo Goo Dolls

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Probably the hang drum, but getting one is impossible. The company who make them (a european couple) will only make then by special selection. You then have to travel to them to give your imput into the hang's construction. The pair who make them sound like real hipster ass hats as well. They refer to their workshop as a "church of music" and themselves as "mother and father of the hang". Still credit where credit's due. They sound fantastic and look like a lot of fun to play.

This is probalby the most famous hang song.

Apr 25, 2009
I really love the Japanese kokyu. It's a bowed instrument that makes the most beautiful sound <3