And The US Army in Vietnam by Leroy Thompson

Both of them have been good reads so far

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
Rogue Trooper said:
War and peace by Leo Tolstoy

And The US Army in Vietnam by Leroy Thompson

Both of them have been good reads so far
I just finished War & Peace myself about a month ago, definately a good and interesting read.

A couple of days ago I finished re-reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett yet again, love that book. I've recently ordered a few books: Consciousness Explained (a non-fiction book by Dan Dennet), American Gods by Neil Gaiman, The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency for a light holiday read and I've just started The Name of the Rose which is like a medieval whodunnit. Finding it interesting so far and pretty wordy (lots of latin - which I don't know that much of).

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Darth Sea Bass said:
At the moment I'm reading. Die Trying, the second Jack Reacher. Don't hate me please!
Don't mind me, this is just the face I make when I'm silently judging someone :D

I actually do like the Reacher novels. They're a nice and easy read. I just finished book...9 I want to say? I'll say book 9 for now.

Anyway, they get a bit more ridiculous as it goes on but they're fun little reads. Kind of the popcorn blockbuster you have to see to keep yourself happy :)

Timpossible

Aug 4, 2014
Finished ASOIAF - A Dance with Dragons last week. A bit dry here and there but still fuckin' awesome!

After that I read "Er ist wieder da" (He's back again") A story about Adolf Hitler waking up on a Field in Berlin of the year 2012. Somehow he get's his own TV-Show. Everyone think he's just an actor and stuff.
It has some satirical content. But most things in there are just things you heard a thousand times: Yeah. german Television is shit. Yeah. People can be manipulalted. It's just so german. It has no real balls. Just those faux "Oh look I write Hitler as a human beeing and not as monster. How daring" Balls.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Rereading Words of Radiance, book 2 of the Stormlight Archives. This series is shaping up to be a sweet epic. I want more!

Eagerly awaiting The Slow Regard of Silent Things, Pat Rothfuss's Auri novel.

Glad to see people reading Snow Crash and the Codex Alera, loved those books.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I'm currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I'm loving it, but I would have a very hard time attempting to provide a short summary of what exactly it's about.

NeutralDrow said:
I'm making another attempt to read The Silmarillion. I succeeded once around ten years ago (after a few failed attempts because I just lost track of everything), so I'm ripe for this attempt.

So far, it's looking good. I'm up to the part where Feanor is introduced, and I've managed to retain the events that have happened so far.
lax4life said:
I'm reading the Silmarillion.

I'll probably read Grendel afterwards.
I would recommend the Tolkien Professor's podcast, free on iTunes, if you want a bit of a hand engaging with the text. There's a full 'Silmarillion Seminar' podcast in which the professor and some of his students chat about each chapter, and it's really rather fascinating. Definitely helped me to get past the harder parts.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
someonehairy-ish said:
awesome, but I don't think Pratchett really hit his stride until much later. I'd recommend giving him another shot and reading Night Watch. Really. It's the book that turned Pratchett into one of my favourite authors, rather than just one I kinda pass the time with.
This is actually my favourite book, it's 10 years old, battered to hell, and I still read it frequently! (twice a year or more!)

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Christ, I haven't touched a book in a couple of months now. I used to read all the goddamn time, but work has been kind of screwing me over recently. Last book I read was The Strain, by Guillermo del Torro and Chuck Hogan in preparation for the TV series. Books pretty good. TV series, while a bit different from the books, mainly suffers from average writing. Interesting colour schemes though.

LadyTiamat

Aug 13, 2011
A Dance with Dragons by George R R Martin

Not the most obsure book but im enjoying getting to read about my fav charaters (Tyrion and Dany!) again. Yet after that i have no idea as I have too many books( i but them faster than I read them) to choose from. Might read another Don DeLilio book or philip k dick....

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'm working my way through the collected works of Isaac Asimov, Phillip K. Dick, Vernor Vinge, and Michael Crichton.

It's, um....a lot of books. Heh. But I managed to nab them all for a really good deal from a family friend. She was clearing out an old book collection of her recently passed uncle.

At this particular moment I'm knee-deep in the second book of Asimov's Foundation series.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I think the last 5 books or so I've read are autobiographies.

At the moment it's the Swedish footballer Zlatan Ibrahimovich. Before that it was Liverpool players Kenny Dalglish, Craig Bellamy, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher. Before that I read the book by Snooker players Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan. Then there was some Gladiator book before that and A Song of Ice and Fire series at the start of the year.

This year has been pretty busy, I think I read like 2 or 3 books in 2013 while this year has seen already over 10.
I usually read one chapter before I go to bed, it helps me sleep.

I also enjoy the stuff from the Warhammer universe, only read 2 or 3 so far, all 3 were good and then I like myself a thriller or some detective stuff.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Just purchased the unedited version of The Two Towers as well as Bram Stoker's Dracula (sceptical against the latter). Got Njal's Saga, a book on the history of the Balcans (spelling?) and some of Nietches works laying around.

Was fairly surpised by Machiavelli's The Prince. Now I want Achtung Panzer! and something by Voltaire.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Vigormortis said:
At this particular moment I'm knee-deep in the second book of Asimov's Foundation series.

]
I was gonna read "The Caves of steel" but robots taking human jobs is feeling a liyylr to real right now

oh and 1o9 released their monthy book lists too...0_0...

I keep telling myself I'll finish the poisonwood bible and then read Cloud Atlas

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Physics of the Impossible, by Michio Kaku. A nerd book if ever there was one. It's a breakdown of science fiction staples - ray guns, force fields, time travel - with explanations of how they might or might not conceivably be achieved in real life.

Before that it was the first Grimnoir book. Magic entered the world in the mid 1800s. Now it's the 1930s and society is getting used to the fact that 1% of people have powers. For example, the main character is a Heavy, able to control gravity in his vicinity, Torches light or snuff fires, Cogs are super-inventors, and so on. You have period stuff like old-school mobsters and the Kaiser, steampunk elements like war zeppelins, then a bit of the occult like zombies and demons thrown in. Fast, fun read. Will definitely finish the series.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Doctor Sleep. I just read The Shining again and want to build a "King universe" knowledge as his son (Pen name Joe Hill) has already linked to his father's universe. So that is awesome as was NOS4A2 his kids first big hit that I got from one of them free E-Book offers.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I've been on a Robert B. Parker kick as off late. Finishing off Spenser novels at quite the rate. I've read them before, but I've forgotten most of them besides Thin Air and another I can't remember the title of.

The Spenser novels are one of a few series of books written by the recently late Robert B. Parker. They are about a private eye with a smart mouth, and occasionally one or more of his friends who he's picked up along his career. Hawk being the main one. He's involved with Susan Silverman, whom he's loved for many years, but both have decided against marriage. They still work out together without living together, but share a dog named Pearl.

The writing is simplistic and easy to read, but don't let it fool you. Robert can convey a lot of detail easily, and the conversations are great in a quick-witted sort of way. Not to mention there are plenty of references I don't get, either due to age or because they often involve poetry of legends passed.

There are over forty, but the first five don't represent the series well at all.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Johnny Impact said:
Physics of the Impossible, by Michio Kaku. A nerd book if ever there was one. It's a breakdown of science fiction staples - ray guns, force fields, time travel - with explanations of how they might or might not conceivably be achieved in real life..
didn't that guy have a discovery chanel show? and the conclusion was a light saber wuld basically have to be a kind of plasma sword?
DANEgerous said:
Doctor Sleep. I just read The Shining again and want to build a "King universe" knowledge as his son (Pen name Joe Hill) has already linked to his father's universe. So that is awesome as was NOS4A2 his kids first big hit that I got from one of them free E-Book offers.
when I first read hill I thought he was a poor mans Stephen king....(I didn't know)

haven't read much of his stuff but I'm not sure I like his prose style...maybe too sparse. I DO however really like the comic he did Locke & Key

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I am currently on the mistborn trilogy. I'm on the second book now and, well, I bloody loves it I do!
It has a brilliant concept and re imagining of 'magic' that keeps a fine balance between fantasy and Sci Fi and adds to a detailed world. I can't recommend this series enough!

I'm heading on to the night angel trilogy after.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
I have a list of novels I have to read for my course at university, and there have been some interesting ones so far.

Currently I'm reading William Kennedy's 'Legs', about the 1930s gangster Jack Diamond. I'm loving it so far, it's equal parts tragic and horrifying.

I would also recommend Hans Fallada's 'Alone In Berlin' (known in the US as 'Every Man Dies Alone'), one of the first German anti-Nazi books published after World War 2, following the story of a middle-aged man who drops postcards around Berlin as a way of opposing the Nazi regime. It was only just translated in 2009, but it's probably now my favourite book ever.