What are you reading? What books have you got lined up?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Taham said:
Discworld series (by Terry Pratchett). Just finished Thud! (again), going to start Snuff.
Gotta love diskworld, I went though snuff a month ago, every once in awhile Ill just starting reading diskworld and not stop till I've read them all.

Mr_RogersCU13

Nov 22, 2011
I've been on a Robert Heinlein kick lately. I'm currently working through "Time Enough for Love". Just finished "I Will Fear No Evil" and my next book is "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and after that will be "Number of the Beast".

Yeah I kinda like Robert Heinlein. Anyone who is a fan of sci fi and Libertarian(ish) philosophy on all kinds of things would enjoy his works.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I'm currently reading the first book in the Warhammer 40,000 book series The Horus Heresy; titled Horus Rising.

It's pretty good. Since this is apparently technically 10,000 years before Warhammer 40,000, it's not very grimdark and shows quite a lot of humanity in the characters. They even mention near the beginning how treating the Emperor like a God is laughable.

However this humanity leaves some amusingly affectionate moments between Space Marines, that one could quite easily jokingly call homoerotic.

Check this out:
"As the sparks of it [vapour flare] rained slowly down onto the waters, the four warriors hugged and whooped, clasping hands and slapping backs. Torgaddon, Aximand and Abaddon took turns to embrace Loken."

If the other books are as interesting I could be reading for a while, but I'm a bit worried about how consistent the writing style will be since the series has many writers, even though I am aware they work together for them.

[small]The only thing I can consider a slight downside so far is they quite rightly feel the need to give you a character glossary for the book that's suprisingly long so you don't worry about forgetting who's who. Despite Horus being the person who's going to be a huge dick at some point, he has my favourite name. Since it's not made up, it has only one word, and is only five letters.[/small]

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Reading Storm of Swords right now, up next is Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons. After that I'm gonna tackle some of my non-fiction books; Freakonomics, The Magic of Reality, The End of Faith, Angels of our Better Nature and No Logo among amothers.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Currently, I'm half way through "The Magician's Apprentice" by Trudi Canavan (a prequel to her "Black Magician" trilogy. Figured it'd be the best place to start and will be reading said trilogy next.)

Also lined up will be "Endlords", or whatever J.V. Jones calls it if she ever gets down to finishing and releasing the damned thing!
It's the 5th, and most likely final, book in her series called "Sword of Shadows".

If she doesn't release it before I get through the Black Magician trilogy, I might go back and re-read the Belgariad and Malloreon quintologies (along with the two additional prequels) by David Eddings while I wait... god knows I'll have time ¬_¬

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mayhaps said:
I'm reading Dirk Gently - The long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul

I watched the bbc series and had to read the books, I've already finished the first book and I have to say I think I enjoyed the tv-series better. They're still pretty good good books though.
After DG2 I'll probably read the salmon of doubt.
There's a BBC series? TO NETFLIX!

I read the Gently books ages ago, so I'd love to see the show. And maybe it'll lead to me reading the books again.

On the topic: Currently just finished Frost Moon by Anthony Francis. It's a decent read, sort of a junk food book. I don't know what I'm reading next, because I downloaded several books to my Kindle thanks to Amazon's sales. Curse you, Amazon!

...actually, most of them seemed really good, so I'm not complaining. The rest seemed merely PRETTY good.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Thinking of Name of the Wind next, I hear it's decent. That's assuming Abercrombie's new book isn't out by then.
Binnsyboy said:
I've never heard of either of those. The characters can't be anymore mind numbingly average than the ones in the Hunger Games books.
I can't recommend Name of the Wind and its sequel Wise Man's Fear, highly enough. Rothfuss is an extremely talented author, and the Kingkiller Chronicles are simply amazing. Every character has a multi-dimensional personality, with all sorts of depth, the mechanic/gimmick of the books works wonderfully, and the world he created is enthralling.

The only real weakness of the books is that it's hard to see the end goal. The books basically play out as a guy (a rather famous/infamous one at that) telling his life story. In most books, the author gives a rough idea of how things will proceed, but KKC simply doesn't have an overarching conflict. There's a couple of things that, if you squint, are hinting at such, but it could just as easily be coincidence.

In essence, it's the same story structure Dragon Age 2 attempted and failed miserably at. The difference is that Rothfuss is rather good at what he does and succeeds quite well IMO.

Edit: As for books I'm reading, I'm currently working my way through the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus. Haven't really been pulled into it yet, I'm hoping it gets more engaging as I read more of it.

After that, I've got the original Dragonriders of Pern trilogy to read, followed by the Night Angel trilogy and finally Grimm's Fairytales.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
I'm currently reading the essay Aldous Huxley wrote about the effects of Mescaline, a hallucigenous drug. It's called "The Doors of Perception", it's really interesting.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
lovestomooch said:
Quaxar said:
Uhm, I've got the fourth Dune book (God Emperor of Dune) half-read. Same goes for The Hound of Baskerville but in my ebook collection.
I also am part-way through Dante's Divina Comedia, Plato's Politeia as well as the Poetic Edda... though these are all books I prefer to stretch out over a longer time due to their exhausting unreadableness.
And technically speaking I should count the atlas of human anatomy I am currently having open on my bed too I guess.
Ah, totally agree with you on those. I haven't yet gotten past inferno in dante and as for god emperor... that needed some discipline. Though Frank Herbert creates worlds and characters like few others can.

OT personally I'm waiting for a new Iain M Banks novel to emerge, those things are like mindsex but am re-reading LOTR atm
The problem with Dune is it seems to get heavier with every book. God Emperor is just... so much exhausting talk and politics. And I'm not sure on my stance on his way of making you like a character in one book only to really hate the same one in the next. First Paul, then Alia, now Leto... it's kind of bugging me.

The Divina Comedia on the other hand is cruel in its style of writing and constant mentioning of people important at that time but now never heard of.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Reading "The Talisman" now after seeing it on my shelf for over 10 years, and then it's the new Dark Tower book, The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Maleval

Feb 2, 2011
Currently I'm half way through the second trilogy of Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts. Aren't the best books I've ever read, but then again it's WH40K, you don't immerse yourself in the setting for high quality literature, you do it for 8 foot tall acid-spitting SPEHS MAREENS killing space orks with chainswords. It's enjoyable is what I'm saying.

After I finish that, I'l be looking for some Alternate History stuff, not sure what yet, but I do feel a strong desire to read some AH. The more over the top the better.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not currently reading anything, although the A Song of Ice and Fire volumes 1 - 5 boxset is out on the 24th of may. When it's out I'll be getting that and reading all those. I have recently been thinking about rereading Mogworld though.

Whoatemysupper

Aug 20, 2010
My French teacher is having us read an abridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo (French school so Le comte de Monte Cristo) so I might pick up the whole version when we're done and I'm currently reading Anna Karenina.
Just a typical Canadian teen.

Audun

Oct 14, 2009
I'm currently reading The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton, Echoes of Betrayal by Elizabeth Moon and Wool by Hugh Howey (omnibus edition).

Coming up is The Witch Watch by Shamus Young, The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks and Hyperion by Dan Simmons.

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
I'm currently re-reading the Lord of the Rings. I've got a lot of work at the moment and not too much time to read so I need something that I know a fair amount about so I don't forget what is happening after not reading for a month. I'm planning to get back into reading after my work load dies down a bit.

SEXTON HALE

Apr 12, 2012
Just finished reading the Stalin epigram by Robert little it was a damn fine book.
Tense with a fair bit of rough humour I would definitly recommend it.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
I'm in the middle of reading(or stopped, but want to continue): HP Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction, 11/22/63, Rule 34, and The Wizard and Glass.

SpiralDots

Jan 14, 2011
I'm about halfway through reading The Silmarillion, no idea what I'm going to read next as I have a huge, huge pile of books to read. I have one about the Crusades that I might read, or maybe re-read Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (as I haven't read the "new" one and want to re-read the series before I read it)

I have far too many books just waiting to be read and not enough time to read them all.