What are you reading?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Dragon Reborn, fourth book in the Wheel of Time series. Considering taking a break from the series soon. It's a fantastic read so far, but bloody hell that series is huge. Still got Yathzee's Mogworld to read as well, and I'd like something sci-fi in-between all those fantasy books.
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Parkway91 said:
Hitler and Nazism - Louis L Snyder. Although unbelievably horrific, it's impressive what Hitler did.
I may have to check that out, though Hitler was an abobinable fucktard, people seem to forget that he took what was IIRC the brokest nation in history and in a few years turned it into a world superpower
Do note that that new economy was pretty much solely based on the military. If the war somehow ended in his favor, his economy would've collapsed once again pretty soon. As far as I know, economists pretty much universally agree on that. Still, can't deny his power to rally an entire nation for a single purpose, no matter how horrifying that purpose is.
Count Igor said:
Men At Arms for the umpteenth time. I read too much. I've read most good books probably about 10+ times.
Y'know, I never got that, re-reading books so often. Not that books aren't good, but because there's soooo much else to read. Why limit yourself to a couple while there's a world of good stuff out there y'know?

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
I'm reading 'Academ's Fury', book 2 of the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher (who also wrote the Dresden Files novels). If you like swords and sorcery, you'll enjoy this.

Quick summary: Alera is a world where the elemental forces of nature (earth, fire, wind, water, and hear- I mean, metal) are personified by 'furies', and every person can do a little magic with them (a.k.a. 'furycrafting'). Except the protagonist of the books, who has no furies of his own to command. Watch as he averts war in a setting based on Ancient Rome, over and over and over.

It's a pretty fun series, but I like Dresden a lot better. Butcher is more comfortable with modern/urban fantasy (wizard PI in Chicago, hell yeah!)

DforSpiD

Jun 3, 2010
I'm currently reading Children of Dune by Frank Herbert, Dune is a great Sci-fi series and has inspired many modern writers.

Takolin

Aug 21, 2011
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, but I only read while I'm lying in my bed so the amount of pages read/day can be quite low on certain days.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
cainx10a said:
I lost my aptitude at casual reading for some reason, I used to be able to finish a book in a matter of days, now I just read a chapter and toss it aside. But for what it's worth, I am reading Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy (Military/Action/Spy Novel), hoping I will finish this book and move on to a bunch of Hudlum's books I have stashed away.

I am also reading ASOAIF, Dance with the Dragons, but I'm really only reading Tyrion's chapters, I did get bored out of reading the 4th book in the series, but since the two books are actually events that take place during the same timeline, I guess it doesn't hurt to finish DwD first, then read the 4th book.
Uh...I think you should go back, man. There's some stuff that directly follows what was laid down on A Feast for Crows for certain characters; more specifically the Jaime, Blind Girl, I believe a bit of Cersei, and a wee bit more that directly follows the previous book. They are parallel but up to a point and then the plot moves forward in time.

Just a heads up.

G-M0N3Y

Jul 8, 2010
I was reading "The Half Made World," a science fiction novel by Felix Gilman, until I reached chapter 39 and discovered that after the first page of the chapter, I was missing the next five chapters.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I pick up this Star Wars (Specter of the Past) novel every now and then, but I don't really read enough. I did just read a comic the other day, Action Comics #1, and I've been reading some free DC stuff on Comixology, wish I had money and I would buy the older series of Animal Man and Young Justice...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
"Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium" (Warhammer 40.000)
Sandy Mitchell
Sci-Fi Military Comedy

The adventures of Ciaphas Cain (written in the first-person perspective, as an autobiography) are the only pieces of Black Library sci-fi literature with a comedic element, and I love them; basically, the protagonist is a lazy, cowardly officer who keeps stumbling into the most horrific of battle scenarios, escaping/surviving by the skin of his teeth in ways that make him look like a bonafide hero.
"Defender of the Imperium" is the second omnibus in the series, spanning novels 4-6, so if you want to give the series a try I suggest picking up the first omnibus, "Hero of the Imperium".

Gazzoid

May 27, 2011
Nothing but manga at the moment... :p

20th Century Boys - Volume 3
Yotsuba&! - Volume 6
Welcome to the N.H.K. (light novel)
Bleach - Volume 7
Azumanga Daioh Omnibus (on volume 2)
Gunslinger Girl Omnibus 1-3 (on volume 1)

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Just finished 'I shall wear midnight' by Terry Pratchett, currently reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman. Next on the list is either 'House of Leaves' by mark danielewski or 'The gospel of the FSM' by Bobby Henderson.

I also follow Raymond E Feists' books.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
Koroviev said:
Presently, Woman in the Dunes, a Kafkaesque tale courtesy of Kobo Abe. Was also reading Good Omens, but my interest has tapered off somewhat. Would like to start Richard III in the near future. Also, very much looking forward to Haruki Murakami's latest novel, 1Q84, slated for release at the end of this month.
Good Omens is a good read although I think the hype surrounding it by the time I got my hands on it's pages somewhat ruined the effect. What is Murakami like? I hear many people praise the name but am still unsure about picking up a title.

darthmason0719 said:
this

reading it for school. About halfway through
Maus is so fucking good. I studied it at university and wrote an essay on it, which - contrary to popular belief - does not always ruin a book. What do you think of it so far?

OT: I'm currently reading The Castle by Franz Kafka. It's the last of his "unfinished novels" which literally cuts out mid-sentence. Not sure what genre to put it in so I'll tentatively say absurdist fiction. Here's the blurb:

"The Castle is the story of K., the unwanted Land Surveyor who is never to be admitted to the Castle nor accepted in the village, and yet cannot go home. As he experiences certainty and doubt, hope and fear, and reason and nonsense, K.'s struggles in the absurd, labyrinthine world where he finds himself seem to reveal the inexplicable truth about the nature of existence."

I'm finding the very long sentence structures a little difficult at times but the content is solid; humorous, tragic, thrilling and creative, I have a feeling that I'll be sorely disappointed when this compelling novel ends.

darthmason0719

Dec 28, 2010
Tips_of_Fingers said:
Koroviev said:
Presently, Woman in the Dunes, a Kafkaesque tale courtesy of Kobo Abe. Was also reading Good Omens, but my interest has tapered off somewhat. Would like to start Richard III in the near future. Also, very much looking forward to Haruki Murakami's latest novel, 1Q84, slated for release at the end of this month.
Good Omens is a good read although I think the hype surrounding it by the time I got my hands on it's pages somewhat ruined the effect. What is Murakami like? I hear many people praise the name but am still unsure about picking up a title.

darthmason0719 said:
this

reading it for school. About halfway through
Maus is so fucking good. I studied it at university and wrote an essay on it, which - contrary to popular belief - does not always ruin a book. What do you think of it so far?

OT: I'm currently reading The Castle by Franz Kafka. It's the last of his "unfinished novels" which literally cuts out mid-sentence. Not sure what genre to put it in so I'll tentatively say absurdist fiction. Here's the blurb:
One of the greatest books I have ever read. I love just deep he delves into Vladeks story. I also love the art style. I just like as you said SO FUCKING GOOD

"The Castle is the story of K., the unwanted Land Surveyor who is never to be admitted to the Castle nor accepted in the village, and yet cannot go home. As he experiences certainty and doubt, hope and fear, and reason and nonsense, K.'s struggles in the absurd, labyrinthine world where he finds himself seem to reveal the inexplicable truth about the nature of existence."

I'm finding the very long sentence structures a little difficult at times but the content is solid; humorous, tragic, thrilling and creative, I have a feeling that I'll be sorely disappointed when this compelling novel ends.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Skulduggery Pleasant; Playing With Fire.
Second book in the series, I'm rereading them because the new one came out not too long ago but I forgot what happened.

Apart from the occasional delve into the Artemis Fowl books, they're pretty much all I read.

darthmason0719

Dec 28, 2010
Tips_of_Fingers said:
darthmason0719 said:
Confused Snip
The structure of your post frightens and confuses me. I assume you didn't mean to embed it in amongst mine?
oops. That's weird. Anyway, I like how deep he delves into Vladek's history and story. I also loe the art style and the symbolism of most of it. Plus some of the irony, Like Anja's father being ridiculously rich but that couldn't save him from the Nazi's. A very interesting book