What are you top 10 Best games of this gen?

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
Buyer beware: to get all the content for Total War: Warhammer II (i.e. Mortal Empires, the entire world map), you need both games WH1 & WH2. It's well worth it tho.

Anyway, disclaimer aside, if you liked M2, did you ever try the Call of Warhammer: Beginning of the End Times mod? It really drove the old engine to its limits but it made for a good game. With the Warscape engine introduced with Empire the gameplay is very different between M2 and WH1/2, but it applies the TT mechanics better (read: magic and monsters) in many ways, even if they so could applied the jankier stuff for multiplayer (misfires - which doesn't feature at all/miscasts - takes an RNG based chunk of damage).
Eh, most of the DLC for WH1 kinda sucks (Only decent one was Norsca, apparently?). Just start with 2, and grab whatever factions you find interesting once you've played a little.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Eh, most of the DLC for WH1 kinda sucks (Only decent one was Norsca, apparently?). Just start with 2, and grab whatever factions you find interesting once you've played a little.
Too late for me, I've already got everything (Hunter & Beast notwithstanding, it's kinda meh, don't like Horde mechanics much and Markus Wulfhart doesn't appeal to me). Re: WH1 DLC, it really depends on personal taste as far as what you want is concerned, I found. If you're interested in a particular race or character, then get it, since none of them are necessarily good or bad (except Amber and the Ordertide from Chaos' perspective).

Also, can't get Mortal Empires without getting both games, which was the point I wanted to make since a lot of people, when browsing, don't realise WH1 is needed to unlock the 'full' world map (which was extended with the last lord pack). Things are going to get even more confusing for the release of WH3 in all likelihood. Still, I'm aware some people get by with the Vortex map with its geographic and racial restrictions, even though I and most of my friends who play it personally don't like it as much.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Ummm, I didn't play that much of this current gen, but I'll try.

1: The Forest
2: Dusk
3: Death Skid Marks
4: State of Decay 2
5: Mother Russia Bleeds
6: Earth Defense Force 5
7: Super Cyborg
8: Killing Floor 2
9: Xenonauts
10: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I notice there's a lot of love for The Witcher 3 on these lists (rightly so) but none for Kingdom Come Deliverance. You should totally play that if you haven't already. It's soooo good.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
What he said.

Also what he said.

Also it's probably just the first 10 really good games I thought of first. "Really good" is based on the fondest memories I feel for these games.
Look I'm not a big list guy.

- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Pathologic 2
- Total War: Warhammer (1 and 2 since they're kind of a package in many ways)
- Hitman (Season 1 and 2 for the same reason)
- Yakuza 0
- Dark Souls 1
- Resident Evil 2 Remake
- Disco Elysium
- Invisible Inc.
- Warhammer: Vermintide 2
Zelda Breath of the Wild was a Wii U game that got ported to the Switch.

that's technically a last gen game.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Yeah but the Wii U was kind of inbetween generations like....it was during the Ps4, Xbone era still, so it kind of counts.....maybe.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009

You're not wrong, but like most people, I didn't own a Wii U, so in practice, for most people...I think it counts as last gen.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Yeah but the Wii U was kind of inbetween generations like....it was during the Ps4, Xbone era still, so it kind of counts.....maybe.
it was in between Sony and Microsoft Gens.

But Wii U is still technically Nintendo's "Last gen" console and the Switch was Nintendo's "Next gen"console that came out 3 years ago and is now current gen until Nintendo announces whatever their New hardware line will be after the Switch gets to the end of its life.

when i think of console generations. i believe that things like Switch and the Switch Lite, the PS4 & PS4 Pro or the Xbox One & the Xbox One X. those systems are all from the same generation of their respective company.

the difference between the Switch and Wii U is much bigger than the Switch and Switch Lite not just because of the hardware in it, but also because of the exclusive games they both have

just like how PS4 has better hardware than PS3 and new exclusive games that you can't get on the PS3. even though the PS4 peo has better hardware than the PS4, at the end of the day, it's still just a PS4 and plays all the same PS4 games therefore making it the same generation.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
it was in between Sony and Microsoft Gens.

But Wii U is still technically Nintendo's "Last gen" console and the Switch was Nintendo's "Next gen"console that came out 3 years ago and is now current gen until Nintendo announces whatever their New hardware line will be after the Switch gets to the end of its life.
Sure. Bravo for not fighting to have that game included as an option, because I figured that would be very very high on your list.

I would still count it myself, because it's a 2017 game that came out smack dab in the middle of this generation. However i hated the game so I personally would never include it, but I could see how other people would.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Sure. Bravo for not fighting to have that game included as an option, because I figured that would be very very high on your list.
no BOTW is a great game sure. but there are much better Nintendo games. Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda title and Zelda franchise overall, while being a fantastic franchise in itself, is still pretty overrated by alot of people.

imo Nintendo has much better franchise's/games such as F-Zero, Pikmin, Metroid and Xenoblade.

Metroid and Xenoblade are so much better than any Zelda game.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
There were tons of games both on ps3 and ps4 with minimal differences outside of things like loading times and particle effects and other insignificant stuff because graphics plateaud around the ps3 era.

P5 was also technically a ps3 game ported to ps4. I think it makes more sense to just use a chunk of years as the gen a game belongs in rather than what system they strictly came out on.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
There were tons of games both on ps3 and ps4 with minimal differences outside of things like loading times and particle effects and other insignificant stuff because graphics plateaud around the ps3 era.

P5 was also technically a ps3 game ported to ps4. I think it makes more sense to just use a chunk of years as the gen a game belongs in rather than what system they strictly came out on.
I think 2014-20

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I notice there's a lot of love for The Witcher 3 on these lists (rightly so) but none for Kingdom Come Deliverance. You should totally play that if you haven't already. It's soooo good.
The game's kinda soured for me, much as I respect the design philosophy of it. I got sick of so many alt righters shoving it in my face and screaming it's praises.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The game's kinda soured for me, much as I respect the design philosophy of it. I got sick of so many alt righters shoving it in my face and screaming it's praises.
Alt righters? What's this? I just played through it and it was an amazing RPG. One of the best ive ever played by far. i didn't realise it had been politicised tbh.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ugh I hated that game. It had a novel concept, but the focus on hyper realism caused the developers to forget that they were making a game and games are supposed to be fun which Kingdom Come was not imo. I feel like if they had at least made the combat a bit more gamey and fun, it could have been a really great and unique experience. Instead it was clunky and frustrating.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Alt righters? What's this? I just played through it and it was an amazing RPG. One of the best ive ever played by far. i didn't realise it had been politicised tbh.
Partially from some nitwit Tumbr post about it being "racist" because it doesn't have more people of color and women. As you know, the minute you do this, you get alt right defenders pouring out of the wood work for you. It's one of the greatest marketing hax ever, frankly, but I don't think they did it intentionally.

And then there's THIS...

[PICTURE TOO HOT FOR ESCAPIST MAGAZINE]

Yea, so it's kinda soured for me. Hell, [REDACTED] damn near soured Hotline Miami 2 for me...

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Partially from some nitwit Tumbr post about it being "racist" because it doesn't have more people of color and women. As you know, the minute you do this, you get alt right defenders pouring out of the wood work for you. It's one of the greatest marketing hax ever, frankly, but I don't think they did it intentionally.

And then there's THIS...

Yea, so it's kinda soured for me. Hell, Gamergate damn near soured Hotline Miami 2 for me...
You might want to take out references to a certain group that this site has a bit of a history with. I understand they are relevant for your point, but the mods have said discussions about them are prohibited.

Last edited:

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Ugh I hated that game. It had a novel concept, but the focus on hyper realism caused the developers to forget that they were making a game and games are supposed to be fun which Kingdom Come was not imo. I feel like if they had at least made the combat a bit more gamey and fun, it could have been a really great and unique experience. Instead it was clunky and frustrating.
I really enjoyed it. I've never been so immersed in a world in my life. I thought it was loads of fun. You are meant to get better - you start out shit because you are just a peasant. You improve as Henry improves - so as your skill improves at the basics of how to play, which isn't easy, he levels up and it gets easier as well. You can't even read - you have to level up everything.

I know what you mean, and I think a lot of people thought what you thought, but when you actually get into it it's a fucking phenomenal experience... Plus I'm a history geek so it was good to find out about some of that era. It was kind of meant to make you feel shit at the beginning. The game isn't really about combat. It's about living the life. There's no handhold-y shit in the game either which I really respected.

It's not really like any other game I've played tbh.

Last edited:

Captain Marvelous

Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Don't have it in me to write a paragraph about why I love each of these games right now. I'll probably edit this post later when I'm not as tired.

In no particular order:

Outer Wilds
Arkham Knight
God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Judgment
Divinity Original Sin 2
Marvel's Spider-Man
Borderlands 3
Final Fantasy XV
Monster Hunter World +Iceborne

Honorable Mentions:
Breath of the Wild
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Katana Zero

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Ah geez, I guess in vaguely ascending order:

Red Dead Redemption 2: Pretty flawed game mechanically for sure but it compensates for its, let's say less than smooth, movement and controls with what is probably the best plot Rockstar has ever written. Also, I really, really like westerns. GTA IV was still better but after V I really didn't expect Rockstar to make something remotely as good as this.

Watch_Dogs 2: Lotta people slept on this because of how slightly below mediocre the first game was but, like, this shit was good. It combines level design and a toolset that would be right at home in an Arkane game with a GTA style open world and complements it with a tone of light hearted techie utopism that feels like a refreshingly bright approach to a Cyberpunk setting. Writing and characters are very hit and miss but eh.

Undertale: it managed to make me laugh out loud multiple times, which is something I can say about very few games in general. Sure, I could also talk about how effectively employs meta commentary on the JRPG genre, how it manages to be emotional, often even corny, without feeling overly sappy or how likeable and memorable its characters are but for me it mostly stands out for how funny it is compared to almost any other game. I mean, just compare it to for what passes as humor in the Borderlands games.

Disco Elysium: I was never especially into isometric CRPGs, having grown up on consoles. I will say, though, Disco Elysium won me over quite effortlessly. A impeccably written murder mystery that feels somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson trying to write a Discworld City Watch novel. Disco Elysium is firing on all cylinders when it comes to worldbuilding, politics, humor and atmosphere. The brilliantly mournful soundtrack deserves some praise too when it comes to pulling me into the district of Martinaise.

Death Stranding: Free from the Metal Gear series that he obviously stopped giving a shit about a decade ago, Hideo Kojima finally got to pursue another passion project and mostly sticks it to the landing with something that's as mechanically innovative as its narratively ambitious. If you can't take it at its subverting the expected gameplay tropes of open world action games to make a point about pacifism and collaboration you don't deserve it at its expanding the visual and thematic language of post apocalyptic fiction to make sense of contemporary sociopolitical fears and anxieties.

Zelda Breath of the Wild: You know how every Zelda after Majoras Mask was more or less a reaction to the criticisms of the previous one? It stands to reason that the game after Skyward Sword, which had to be the worst 3D Zelda, would be one of the best, and it was. Breath of the Wild succeeded in crafting something that feels like a grand adventure, mostly on the virtue of its vast, detailled and extremely interactive world. Breath of the Wilds Hyrule is gamings most exciting adventure playground and I loved every minute I spent in it.

Bloodborne: From Soft was definitely one of the big innovators of the last generation, more or less creating a new genre from the ground up. If I went by gameplay alone, I'd say Sekiro was my favourite, but I wont, so it's Bloodborne. Bloodborne is an artistic marvel of horror both gothic and cosmic tied together by human intrigue. It fleshes out a very complicated world with minimal exposition and deserves a lot of credit for that.

Witcher 3: Like many a young adult in a state of advanced social alienation I like fantasy. Witcher 3 ist the best playable fantasy novel I ever had the pleasure to play. It delivers an extensive fantasy epic grounded by what is some rather excellent character writing.

Pathologic 2: The first Pathologic was a pretty messy affair all around, low budget, half finished and held together by duct tape and good will alone. It did, however, have writing beyond anything else you see in games. Pathologic 2 takes this writing and puts it into an actually competently made, and visually stunning, game that lives up to its kafkaesque ambitions. God, 2019 sure was a great year for games.

Final Fantasy 7Remake: You can now accuse me of only putting it this highly for being the most recent one I have played, and you probably wouldn't be wrong but it sure did leave a lasting impression on me. Now, I have never played the original FF7 and am only familiar with the broad strokes if its plot through osmosis alone but for adapting only a fraction of it, Remake already stands as an absolutely breathtaking adventure in its own right. The game frequently had me smiling from ear to ear with how disarmingly charming it was, whether it was an elaborate Moulin Rouge inspired musical sequence, picking flowers with the resident manic pixie dreamgirl or fighting through a mad scientists laboratory with Diego from Ice Age. FF7Re is a 40 hour tour de force of relentless charm and some of the most baroque spectacle I've ever seen in a game.