What are you top 10 Best games of this gen?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Let's see...what's stuck out most of what I've played, at least by hours put in and overall impressions/fun had (alphabetical order since I've enjoyed them all equally in different ways):

Bloodborne/Old Hunters
Dark Souls 3 (still playing Ashes of Ariandel and Ringed City)
God of War
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (unfinished)
MGS V (unfinished ch 2, just like the game itself?)
MK11
Red Dead: Redemption 2
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (unfinished)
The Witcher 3 (unfinished)

Those are the first that come to mind.

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
Too late for me, I've already got everything (Hunter & Beast notwithstanding, it's kinda meh, don't like Horde mechanics much and Markus Wulfhart doesn't appeal to me). Re: WH1 DLC, it really depends on personal taste as far as what you want is concerned, I found. If you're interested in a particular race or character, then get it, since none of them are necessarily good or bad (except Amber and the Ordertide from Chaos' perspective).

Also, can't get Mortal Empires without getting both games, which was the point I wanted to make since a lot of people, when browsing, don't realise WH1 is needed to unlock the 'full' world map (which was extended with the last lord pack). Things are going to get even more confusing for the release of WH3 in all likelihood. Still, I'm aware some people get by with the Vortex map with its geographic and racial restrictions, even though I and most of my friends who play it personally don't like it as much.
Oh no, the game itself is great, it's just kinda been retroactively demoted into DLC for Warhammer II, and most if WH1's ACTUAL DLC isn't remotely as interesting as Zombie Pirates, Egyptian Skeletons, Dinosaur people, or an unending swarm of rats.

Hope you enjoy the game, though! It's pretty great.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Super Mario Odyssey
Shovel Knight
Shadow of the Colossus
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Gravity Rush Remastered
Resident Evil 2
Sonic Mania
Inside
Nier: Automata

(Potentially, because still playing) Luigi's Mansion 3

I'll probably stick with PC and Nintendo going forward. Sony needs to go back to making smaller Japanese games.

Reactions: Yoshi

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Oh no, the game itself is great, it's just kinda been retroactively demoted into DLC for Warhammer II, and most if WH1's ACTUAL DLC isn't remotely as interesting as Zombie Pirates, Egyptian Skeletons, Dinosaur people, or an unending swarm of rats.

Hope you enjoy the game, though! It's pretty great.
Yeah, I get what you mean. The two race packs for WH2 were freakin' awesome and all the lord packs have added interesting stuff (at least) and the FLC lords have been more hit than miss, and admittedly though I prefer Mortal Empires, there's so much going on in the Vortex map that the Old World in WH1 feels pretty inadequate by comparison.

Plenty of fun, 750hrs and counting.

Seen the Warden & the Paunch trailer with accompanying Greenskins updates? With the impending differences between Greenskins prior to WH3 and how they were in WH1, it kind of drives that contrast further.

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Super Mario Odyssey
Shovel Knight
Shadow of the Colossus
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Gravity Rush Remastered
Resident Evil 2
Sonic Mania
Inside
Nier: Automata

(Potentially, because still playing) Luigi's Mansion 3

I'll probably stick with PC and Nintendo going forward. Sony needs to go back to making smaller Japanese games.
welcome back Ezekiel. get legacy tag.

Reactions: Yoshi

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
In no particular order:

Bloodborne
God of War (2018)
Shadow of the Colossus (2018)
Red Dead Redemption 2
Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Last of Us
Batman: Arkham Knight
Alien: Isolation
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor/War

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Batman: Arkham Knight
I really am surprised by just how many people have put one of these Batman games on their lists. I hated those games, I'm not knocking people that loved them....it's just how surprising how highly people actually place the games.

I suppose the fighting system was pretty revolutionary and it's okay. Maybe I just think Batman is a derp.

Oh well. I don't know anything anyway.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really am surprised by just how many people have put one of these Batman games on their lists. I hated those games, I'm not knocking people that loved them....it's just how surprising how highly people actually place the games.

I suppose the fighting system was pretty revolutionary and it's okay. Maybe I just think Batman is a derp.

Batman is kinda derp, but I did quite like those games. I think at least partially since it was the first time I played a game that made it feel like a reverse horror game. Like the game isn't trying to scare you, you are trying to scare the game.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

I would've put Arkham City on my list if it was this gen. Arkham combat isn't bad, it was just done to death much in the same manner as Ubisoft: The Game. Also, the combat was only like a third of the gameplay unlike say the Middle-Earth games where it gets really repetitive. Arkham Knight wasn't very good and Asylum was a good starting point (not quite a great game). Spiderman could've used a lot of things Rocksteady did with the Batman games.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Seen a lot of Divinty 2 popping up, and just had it delivered a couple of days back but only managed a short time on it due to life busyness. But going just from the colourful character introductions, it does give a very strong first impression in the writing and performance area. Seems like a good time ahead.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Seen a lot of Divinty 2 popping up, and just had it delivered a couple of days back but only managed a short time on it due to life busyness. But going just from the colourful character introductions, it does give a very strong first impression in the writing and performance area. Seems like a good time ahead.
That game was a contender for my list too, it didn't get there cause I haven't finished it yet with a bunch of huge march releases coming back to back.

The main cool thing the game does is make you feel powerful. You start out completely helpless and everything is a struggle but as you learn how to play the game and pick your battles you slowly but surely build up your power and eventually you get to a point where you don't have to skimmer around and can stand up to anything that was tormenting you and seemed insurmountable only a couple of levels ago. The story and writing is very smart (get the perk that lets you talk to animals ASAP, they have some of the best dialogue) and the freedom of choice in how you go about things and the way in which the game organically adapts to your choices with the entire world moving along what you chose to do feels very rewarding as well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No particular order either:

Devil May Cry 5
Bayonetta 2
Doom 4
Resident Evil 2 Remake
DK: Tropical Freeze
The Takeover
Streets of Rage 4
Killer Instinct (2013)
Tetris Effect
Samurai Showdown (2019)

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
There were a ton of really great indie/small studio games this gen so this is my top 10 of those.

Hollow Knight
Salt & Sanctuary
Blasphemous
Dark Devotion
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Observation
A Plague Tale
Valfaris
Death's Gambit
Butcher

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
There were a ton of really great indie/small studio games this gen so this is my top 10 of those.

Hollow Knight
Salt & Sanctuary
Blasphemous
Dark Devotion
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Observation
A Plague Tale
Valfaris
Death's Gambit
Butcher
I’m about to play a plagues tale. I’ve heard it’s a great story but not much In terms of gameplay.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I would've put Arkham City on my list if it was this gen. Arkham combat isn't bad, it was just done to death much in the same manner as Ubisoft: The Game. Also, the combat was only like a third of the gameplay unlike say the Middle-Earth games where it gets really repetitive. Arkham Knight wasn't very good and Asylum was a good starting point (not quite a great game). Spiderman could've used a lot of things Rocksteady did with the Batman games.
I really liked Arkham Knight. I think the batmobile put people off because the gameplay was so different but I got used to it pretty quickly. The rest of the way the game plays is pretty similar to Arkham city tbh, except better graphics.

FennecZephyr

Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United States
Finally made up my own list.

FF7 is provisional because I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm VERY close
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Total War: Warhammer 2
  • Endless Space 2
  • Bloodborne
  • Titanfall 2
  • Spider-Man PS4
  • DOOM 2016
  • Undertale
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • FF7 Remake (Provisional)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I really liked Arkham Knight. I think the batmobile put people off because the gameplay was so different but I got used to it pretty quickly. The rest of the way the game plays is pretty similar to Arkham city tbh, except better graphics.
The Batmobile gameplay didn't fit thematically (the drone fights), it's not that it was bad, it just wasn't very "Batman". The problem for me was the game was so same-y in many respects and you get diminishing returns on that stuff. The combat system was really done to death at that point (not really the game's fault) and it really didn't introduce anything new and I recall little things feeling just a touch off with the combat as well. Arkham City introduced quick-use gadgets and the beatdown mechanic whereas Arkham Knight didn't introduce anything outside of switching characters in the team-up fights. Outside of Arkham City, only Spiderman out of all the games that burrowed the combat evolved it by adding aerial aspect to the combat. I didn't care for how open and bigger the city was (which the Batmobile caused), I felt Arkham City was perfectly big and you got to the know every nook and cranny and I still vividly remember that map whereas I couldn't tell you where anything is from Arkham Knight. Having to find a 3rd way to trap Batman with all the villains again actually did make my eyes roll when I first played it. However, the story was the tightest with the least open holes of the trilogy though not the best either. And the story was somewhat disappointing from the teases that Arkham City gave you, it seemed like wherever the 3rd game was originally planned to go was completely scrapped.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Seen a lot of Divinty 2 popping up, and just had it delivered a couple of days back but only managed a short time on it due to life busyness.
I just started playing during the lockdown and I really recommend the Divinity Unleashed mod. It overhauls the armor system that forces you to making either physical or magical based parties. Normally armor is something you have to whittle down to do actual damage thus having 2 physical attackers and 2 mages, you'll be having to whittle down both magical and physical armor of enemies for all your party to actually damage them. Also, you can't CC enemies that have armor. The mod makes armor damage reduction vs an initial health pool to get through. And you can CC enemies with armor obviously because they always have it. The mod also changed how a lot of the statuses work so you can't just CC all the enemies constantly skipping their turns as getting a status effect that actually skips their turn requires 2-steps usually like if you freeze them, they can still act and to get them really frozen, you have to chill them after they've been "snap frozen".

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qnECB8DZVt7s_O2_TbEbGzipfdg1zLqtj9mtFNyaFFk

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The Batmobile gameplay didn't fit thematically (the drone fights), it's not that it was bad, it just wasn't very "Batman". The problem for me was the game was so same-y in many respects and you get diminishing returns on that stuff. The combat system was really done to death at that point (not really the game's fault) and it really didn't introduce anything new and I recall little things feeling just a touch off with the combat as well. Arkham City introduced quick-use gadgets and the beatdown mechanic whereas Arkham Knight didn't introduce anything outside of switching characters in the team-up fights. Outside of Arkham City, only Spiderman out of all the games that burrowed the combat evolved it by adding aerial aspect to the combat. I didn't care for how open and bigger the city was (which the Batmobile caused), I felt Arkham City was perfectly big and you got to the know every nook and cranny and I still vividly remember that map whereas I couldn't tell you where anything is from Arkham Knight. Having to find a 3rd way to trap Batman with all the villains again actually did make my eyes roll when I first played it. However, the story was the tightest with the least open holes of the trilogy though not the best either. And the story was somewhat disappointing from the teases that Arkham City gave you, it seemed like wherever the 3rd game was originally planned to go was completely scrapped.
There were genuine moments of brilliance in this game but the pacing was way off and the side missions were by and large very mediocre. Except for the Killer Crock mission in season of infamy even the DLC was crap. Much have been said about the batmobile but the chase elements and how the thing controlled was something I personally really enjoyed were it not for those tedious non-stop 'world of tanks' missions and batmobile stealth sections that stood out like a sore thumb. The mechanics were great but it was mostly implemented in such a poor fashion.

Some of the missions were still amazing. Espescially the theater part was something that felt like it came straight out of a really good graphic novel. Had the entire game been like this it would have easily been in my top 3 also considering how incredible the graphics still look. I still enjoyed it but it was way too uneven. The gameplay/rhythm combat is enjoyable but the game really needs a good story to elevate it. Unfortunately Knight was hit and miss.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

I list it more as a stand-in for the entire Arkham series, which I think balances out nicely (Origins included) even if it peaked with Arkham City. With Knight it's a case of everything I love about the games coming together for one last next-gen hurrah, with a side of novelty-for-the-sake-of-novelty that I don't care for but doesn't ruin it for me either. Same with the Nolan trilogy, the beginning two-thirds are wonderful and the last act fumbles here and there but as a whole I love it.