What are you using for game captures Pics and Videos

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
What are you using for game captures?

In Steam, I use their own app. Not sure if it will do videos but reviewing. I found it easy to direct the folder where I wanted it. Haven't done screen captures in other game utilities (GoG, Origin, Ubisoft).

Not so the Xbox Console Companion. It wants to save on my tiny SSD C drive and I can't redirect it.

I bought FRAPS a million years ago. Maybe I should go back to it.

What are you using?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I used to use an Avermedia recorder for PS3 that connects via USB to a PC but now I just either use Photo modes and the PS4 Share option to save recordings. It’s only compressed 720p footage which sucks but I don’t have time for anything else unless there’s better high quality recorders now that don’t require hauling a PC all through the house.

On PC it’s generally been Fraps but now Nvidia’s Shadowplay does a good job of it and is less of a resource hog. Plus Fraps support has been abandoned AFAIK.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I used to use an Avermedia recorder for PS3 that connects via USB to a PC but now I just either use Photo modes and the PS4 Share option to save recordings. It’s only compressed 720p footage which sucks but I don’t have time for anything else unless there’s better high quality recorders now that don’t require hauling a PC all through the house.

On PC it’s generally been Fraps but now Nvidia’s Shadowplay does a good job of it and is less of a resource hog. Plus Fraps support has been abandoned AFAIK.
When you noted Nvidia's having their own recorder, it made me ask myself if AMD wouldn't have one themselves aaaaand... gonna try it.
1622750573449.png

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I hear OBS gets used a lot, by youtube streamers and whoever. I've used it once before for capturing game footage while working on some bug reports at a studio I used to work for. Maybe worth checking out if you're looking for new software. Its open source and free.

I personally don't really do any captures/recording myself. I use printscreen when I want to show my friends stuff. I do a sloppy thing of uploading my whole printscreen into imgur, then using the snipping tool to further crop out and I paste the thing into WhatsApp, Discord or whatever messenging program we are using.

When my overseas friends wanted to see what certain games that I owned that they didn't was about, I'd stream myself playing it across discord. I've also managed to stream my phone footage via TeamViewer onto my computer, then I'd stream the PC TeamViewer into discord which allowed them to watch my mobile gaming. I don't actually record or save any of this though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I use AMD's included software now; I used to use nVidia's when I was running one of their cards, but it started stuttering heavily and desyncing audio from video while recording, so I switched to a program called Mirillis Action!. (Yes, the exclamation point is part of the name.)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I use AMD's included software now; I used to use nVidia's when I was running one of their cards, but it started stuttering heavily and desyncing audio from video while recording, so I switched to a program called Mirillis Action!. (Yes, the exclamation point is part of the name.)
Will review. My AMD software came with a capture component but when I tried to use it, something happened that almost caused my 256 GB SSD OS C: drive to fill up and crash. I deleted something that seemed to fix it. But I'll look for this... at the AMD site?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Will review. My AMD software came with a capture component but when I tried to use it, something happened that almost caused my 256 GB SSD OS C: drive to fill up and crash. I deleted something that seemed to fix it. But I'll look for this... at the AMD site?
If you click the "Settings" button (the gear-shaped icon in the top right) and then go to "record and stream" you'll come to a screen that lets you choose where your recordings go ("Media Save Location"). It's aggravating that programs like this default to your C drive, but I guess they can't assume you have another one.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
If you click the "Settings" button (the gear-shaped icon in the top right) and then go to "record and stream" you'll come to a screen that lets you choose where your recordings go ("Media Save Location"). It's aggravating that programs like this default to your C drive, but I guess they can't assume you have another one.
I actually did this and made a folder on my 4 Tb G: drive. I don't know what that "OneDrive" syncing folder was but deleted it. I have OneDrive... it is syncing fine. I don't know what that was but when deleted, my C: drive cleared about 30 Gig.

Hmm. $20 not bad, but free is better! :)
1622809675488.png

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That’s why they should at least by default have the user confirm where they want to save stuff during initial setup, because it’s pretty common now for anyone that would actually use their software to have multiple drives anyways.