What are your favorite board/card games?

Irregular Dice

Mar 27, 2014
Um, my apologies if this doesn't count but it does use dice, cards and miniatures.

I love playing Heroclix, a strategy game where you use characters from: DC, Marvel and even Yu-Gi-Oh and battle in teams. It's a really fun game.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Me and my family have been playing a game called hand and foot for a while. The only requirements are a few packs of regular playing cards and a few people. It's a bit weird to grasp at first, but I think it's easy to learn after you play one round. Each round takes about five minutes, and it's point-based to win and not who finishes first.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Spushkin said:
Haven't played that many, I like Catan, and Risk is always "fun" with friends who have this incredible dice luck.

The one I cannot recommend enough is Arkham Horror. Some of my friends who are really into board games don't like it because it's basically co-op, but it is a lot of fun, especially if you're a fan of Lovecraft.
+1 for Arkham horror, it's fun offers a little bit of role playing (if you feel like it) and the expansion packs add a lot to the game depending on which one you choose to play with.

If I'm being 100% honest though, I prefer Eldritch Horror.

It's still the same Co-Op Lovecraft style game, but the rules are a little more streamlined and, from my experience, it's a lot easier to coordinate tactics.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
FLUXX 4.0

Fluxx 4.0 is the best party card game IMO. It's very easy to learn, a lot of people can play, and the main theme of the game is that the game keeps changing rules and goals. Anyone can put into play additional goals and rules that will either help you win or screw you over. I consider it one of the trollish, yet entertaining, card games I have played.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I recommend Apples to Apples. It's very simple and portable, and guaranteed to make everyone break down laughing at least once per game. Less comedic is Scategories, but like Scrabble it can help build vocabulary.

MTG is undergoing a huge structure revision recently, might be a good time to start fresh if there's other people to play with.

TP Potatosalad

Sep 22, 2010
I would say chess is my favorite board game. It doesn't really matter if it is a physical board or online, human or AI, I just really enjoy the game itself.

Yu-Gi-Oh would be my favorite card game, as I have fond memories of playing it with my brother all the time when we were younger. We mostly played with our own physical decks, but I also owned "Yu-Gi-Oh! The Duelists of the Roses" on Playstation 2 and I really enjoyed that as well. I think I still have my deck somewhere, but it has been a very long time since I've played it. I passed a store rack the other day and I didn't even recognize a lot of the cards, made me kind of sad.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Arkham Horror is the first one that springs to mind, especially after you get the hang of it and one or two extra sets to it to extend the game and making it even harder :)
The negative thing about this game is, it costs pretty much, but it requires at least 3 or 4 players to be any fun, so maybe buy it together with some friends and one of you paying more to basically be the "owner" of the game while the others chip in, so to say.

So that's the board game, then my maybe favorite card game has to be Gloom, it's very depressing, and very fun! And the starter pack is only 20-30?.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
-looks over at his giant stack of board games- Well...I guess it's my turn now -cracks knuckles-

In no particular order

Betrayal At House on the Hill A game for 3 to six players that consists of two parts. Exploring a house dealing with scary events, getting items and suffering through horrible omens. The game eventually joins the second half where players will have to fight for their lives through one of 50 scenarios, oh and given the name, ONE of you is a traitor. This game is a huge hit with any gaming group I've ever been a part of. If you'd like to take a look at it first, I recommend watching the Table Flip episodes about it on YouTube.

King of Tokyo A competitive game where giant monsters strive to beat the crap out of each other or earn renown. This is another popular one with my gaming group friends. The base game is a lot of fun, but there are expansions that add more. King of Tokyo is a prime example of an "easy to learn, hard to master" type of game as there are a lot of different strategies to employ to become King. I would also like to note that a whole new game based on an updated system, King of New York, is supposed to come out within the next couple of months.

Marvel Legendary This is a cooperative deck builder game where you and your friends try to stop an evil mastermind from completing a plot. These can be anything from Red Skull trying to complete a secret invasion of Skrulls, or the last one I played was Moleman trying to...I forget, but the advantages the plot gave him meant we got our asses kicked...by MOLEMAN. This is one of my all time favorite cooperative games, but with the victory point system, there is always a "winner" if you need that in your group. Anyway, you buy heroes, fight villains, build your deck up with lots of Marvel characters. It's a great time. This game also has a bunch of expansions available or the new stand alone Marvel Legendary Villains edition (which can also use cards from the original game or any of the expansions)

Shadows Over Camelot This game is hard. I mean HARD. This game HATES people. This game was bullied in high school and takes it out on everyone else. It's a cooperative game (unless one of you is a traitor...) where every turn you have to perform an evil action before you can perform one good action. There are like 3 ways to lose, but only one way to win, and trust me, those ways to lose will come up FAST, even more so with a traitor. It's a pretty fun camelot themed strategy game to play with friends, just don't bust this one out if you want to feel like a winner (unless you do win, in which case congrats)

One Night Ultimate Werewolf This is an AMAZING party game, but really only fun if you're playing with a fairly large group of people, the best part is this game can cost you very little to play. Now the base game online is like 20 bucks and you get some cool stuff, but if you're feeling super cheap, go scour your local comic/game shop for like 25 cent Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, or Magic cards, find artwork that matches the character roles, look the rules up online, and download the free app that will handle the hosting duties for you. This is basically a spin on the old Mafia style game with a lot of different roles. There's not much to the game itself, the real thrill are the lies, deceptions, and finger-pointing that will be going on around the table. You can play a round in like 5-10 minutes, but don't be surprised if you play enough rounds to eat up hours of your time

RARRR!!! This game just got funded and released by Kickstarter, and I love it. It's a super simple card game where you use giant monsters and a card draft system to raise power and conquer cities. It's almost like Poker since a lot of this game is knowing when you go all in or when to just fold. What's that? Bogota is only worth two victory points? Don't spend a lot of your power on that. But Tokyo being worth 5? Yeah, lets chuck in a few extra Electrical power on that one...This game is simple stupid fun, and it's got great artwork.

Smash-Up A competitive card game. The base game comes with 8 decks of 20 cards. You pick two of them and shuffle them together, that's your team to try and conquer bases. That's about it. Use any combination you want. Aliens and Pirates, Dinosaurs and Ninjas, and expansions even have stuff like Plants and Bears.

Superfight Rather than explaining this game, I'll just go over the events of one round using actual examples from the decks themselves. First the referee for this round flips over one character card (white card) and two trait cards (black cards) this gives them A Velociraptor with the power to summon anything from a supermarket who is also holding a baby. Now each other player plays their white card, Bill Clinton and one black card armed with a portal gun. The other player has A Boy Scout who is made of water. Now the two non-referee players play a black card on their opponents side. So Bill Clinton now can't stop sobbing, and that Boy Scout has one million followers on Twitter. Now those two players just make their arguments for why their character could beat the referees character. It's the best kind of stupid fun, where you're just pulling stuff out of your ass to make the best argument you can. I LOVE this game.

Honestly, I could go on and on, but these are just some of my favorites to bust out at game sessions. I hope some of these have raised interest from some of you reading these. Happy Gaming.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
I second Superfight! It's a fast, easy and fun game that always brings laughs to our table.

Cards Against Humanity... Because we revel in being terrible people lol. Not suitable for kids, or people easily offended.

Apples to Apples is another good one, and its super family friendly if there are kids around.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Catan, Chess, Risk, Machiavelli and good ol fashioned Poker.

When I'm at a bar, I also like to play Chapeau, a variant on Poker played with dice and a cup.