What are your favourite national flags?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
[HEADING=1]What are your favourite national flags?[/HEADING][br][HEADING=3]Brought to you by JoJo[/HEADING][br]​

That's right Escapists, it's flag thread. The ideas pretty simple, just post your favourite national flag(s) from around the world and give a short explanation why it's your favourite. Also, if you have any subnational flags you particularly like feel free to put them up too. No other rules this time, just goes nuts!

For my response, here's my top three favourite flags from around the world:

[HEADING=2]Barbados[/HEADING]

The colours look distinctive and memorable, and the trident is stylish and helps prevent the flag becoming 'three horizontal sections flag #87'.

[HEADING=2]Marshall Islands[/HEADING]

Absolutely unique, I like the star in the particular and how that goes with the stripe running across the flag.

[HEADING=2]Papua New Guinea[/HEADING]

Great colours that go well together, memorable and the bird is a nice touch whilst being not being too complicated (looking at you, every country who insists on putting their coat of arms on their flag).

So Escapists, am I right? Wrong? What are your favourite flags?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013

*Sigh*, oh alright then, fine. This flag has long been one of my favourites:

[HEADING=2]Hong Kong, S.A.R.[/HEADING]

Observe: It's simple, elegant and has the graceful Bauhinia on it. None of that poser AK47 or bird of prey nonsense. This is the flag of a people with class.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I always liked the Nordic flags. It's a tie between Sweden and Finland for the favorite. Honorable mention to the Canadian flag.

Oh I also liked the pre-revolution Libya flag (which was a solid green rectangle).

And of course, the flag of Nepal, the only non-rectangular national flag in the world.

To say nothing of the flag of Paraguay, the only national flag of which the faces are not the same.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I've always been rather partial to the South Korean flag, but never known exactly why. T'is rather unique.

Whilst looking through flags for inspiration I got a chuckle from all the flags that are just a Union flag slapped in the corner, with some nifty pattern taking up the rest of the space: e.g. Australia's a big one, New Zealand too, but places like Turks and Caicos Islands, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cuhna, Niue, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands.. it goes on! Ah, the Empire.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
@SckizoBoy, @Zykon_The_Lich: Your linked images aren't showing up properly.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
SckizoBoy said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Truth be told, I like the U.K's flag.
But with Scotland's potential independence, we may lose our Union Jack... T_T
Luckily, the general consensus is that even if Scotland secedes from the United Kingdom the Union Flag will most likely remain the national flag of the remaining UK, since it's an established symbol worldwide and there's no accepted alternative flag that just represents England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Most foreigners seem to think that UK flag = England anyway, so confusion will be hopefully be minimal.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Barbas said:
@SckizoBoy, @Zykon_The_Lich: Your linked images aren't showing up properly.
Huh... works fine with me... changed it anyway... working now? o_O

JoJo said:
Luckily, the general consensus is that even if Scotland secedes from the United Kingdom the Union Flag will most likely remain the national flag of the remaining UK, since it's an established symbol worldwide and there's no accepted alternative flag that just represents England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Most foreigners seem to think that UK flag = England anyway, so confusion will be hopefully be minimal.
Oh yeah... I remember there was some debate about it... one of the options was replacing the blue with green (part of the Welsh flag), but that looked ridiculous, somehow... not sure how they (that particular discussion) concluded it. *shrugs*

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
The replies here have reminded me of some flags I had forgotten, so a special award for randomness goes to:

[HEADING=2]Isle of Man[/HEADING]

Dependency of the United Kingdom. No idea what the three legs are about.

Also, my posts... they're over 9000! :-D

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
This may be simple patriotism, but I've always liked Scotland's flag.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
JoJo said:
There are only two true flags in this world.
This one is my second best, and only one is better then it!

You think that is the best flag, this next one is much better!

Nothing is true, everything is permitted!
Arrr ...
Why yes, I have been playing Black Flag.

To be serious, I like Japan's flag.

KennardKId5

May 26, 2011
I personally love the Canadian flag.
It's much better than the Dominion flag they used to have, for sure.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I've always liked South Africa's flag.

Colorful with a nice symmetrical design.

Ghana's is cool too.

Bit of an African theme I've got going on.

Captcha: love is automatic

I wish it was captcha, I really do.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I have always liked Wales.
I remember back when I played FIFA98, I was like 7 years old, my favorite team to play were Wales, because I thought they had created a fake team into the game just to use an awesome flag with a dragon in it :p

Also Japan, it's just plain simple, and Saudi Arabia, because it's green!

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
KennardKId5 said:
I personally love the Canadian flag.
It's much better than the Dominion flag they used to have, for sure.
I am going to second on that. I love the Canadian flag, and I also love the country as well. I also really like the Swedish flag as well, I find the blue and yellow colour scheme to be really pleasing, to the point that I have a huge Swedish flag on the wall of my bedroom, courtesy of a friend of mine giving me it.