what are your "unpopular" opinions on gaming?

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
Vault101 said:
1. I dont give a damn about regenerating health

2. I like dark and gritty

3. cutscenes are not the devil (that is unless they are 5 hours long)

4. generally I think voicless is only ok if you can customize your charachter (yes there are exceptions)

5. the Wii has absolutly nothing to offer ASIDE from the obvious nintendo franchises (metroid prime 3 was amazing)

6. Red faction Gurrela is a good game

7. people who scoff at "dark gritty COD fanboys" in favour of more "colurful" titles can be JUST as obnoxious and annoying using eaquality stupid arguments
I Think you misread your own question.

Pseudopod

Oct 8, 2010
Imbechile said:
Heroes of might and magic 3 isn't anything special and I think Heroes 4 is the best.
I think that one will suffice :)
Well played. While I don't agree with a lot of the opinions in this thread, that's one of the only ones that really made me cringe :).

Here's mine. I'm not sure if I'm really in the minority on all of these, but they often feel that way.

- There's still plenty of good JRPGs being made.
- FFIX is the best Final Fantasy game, and there hasn't been a good entry in that series since.
- Windwaker is a better game than Ocarina of Time.
- The Wii is a good console with a great library.
- Gamers are too hard on Nintendo and on motion and touch screen controls in general.
- Brutal Legend is a great game, including the stage battles.
- Funny or not, Yahtzee is overall a negative influence on the gaming community.
- There are just as many if not more well designed Pokemon in the new generations as opposed to the older ones.

It is interesting how many of us consider liking or hating Nintendo to be unpopular. I'm not entirely certain which camp is really the majority.

simon oeyen

Dec 25, 2008
Vault101 said:
arealperson said:
Vault101 said:
arealperson said:
"unpopular" probably not the bst word, what I really ment was "tell your opinions...ANYTHING is fair game"
Ah. Coolies, makes it a bit easier to respond to then. Except, maybe a bit too easy. Not to be too particular, but I think your thread might be going into the 'All your forum are belong to me' route.

6. The best part of Yahtzee's routine is where he's not being crude.
haha what ever that means I dont think Im helping by unintentionally bumping....I think this may have been my biggest thread anyway (ugghhh that sounded like a self ego boost sorry)

6. as for that yeah that makes sense, its when he tones down on the comedic act and actually gives some more sincere constructive criticism, much like his "extra punctuation" section
I think it's true that when he stops beating a game into the ground and starts giving constructive arguments it gets pretty interesting, but when I watch a few of the older reviews I find myself thinking: "Damn, he used to be totally hilarious! Why doesn't he do stuff like this anymore?!". For those of you in doubt of what I mean here: check out the MOH Airborne-review ;-)

Kyle1527

Jun 3, 2010
1: MW2 is the worst game of all time, such a terrible game.

2: Fallout: New Vegas and 3 are depressing, boring, unimersive and have terrible game worlds.

3: No such thing as a cutscene that is too long.

4: No game can be too long.

5: Not every mission should be about killing things in a shooter IMO.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
1. The Mako was awesome
2. The Mako was awesome
3. The Mako was awesome
4. The Mako was awesome
5. The Mako was aw - ah, hell, I'll just come out and say it: The Mako was the best part of Mass Effect 1

And if we're just going to go by Escapist opinions alone, then I say "Go 2-weapon limit!"

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
1) EA aren't that bad (no seriously, I don't think they are)

2) I think DMC4 is pretty good, my second favourite after 1

3) I enjoy cut-scenes, whether they be 30 seconds or 5 minutes, as long as they are pretty and interesting I like them.

4) I enjoy the releasing of a new CoD game every year, at least I can say to myself if every other game is a flop I'm almost guaranteed at least 1 game that I will enjoy.

5) Mass Effect 1's story was better than 2's

6) WoW is an exceptionally good MMO, I've tried a huge amount of MMO's over the years and the one that held me for the longest, and probably still would if it wasn't for SWTOR and the fact I have no rig to play on.

7) I'm more than happy with a single-player campaign that lasts around the 6-8 hour mark. Ideally I like around 12-16 hours but I honestly don't mind shorter. I would much prefer multiple short games than every game having 40+ hours of game-play.

I think that will do...

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
Modern Warfare 2 was one of the worst in the CoD series. I preferred even WaW to it.

People who restrict themselves to either colourful cartoony games or gritty games are missing out on a lot of good experiences.

I hate dual analogue controllers when used with FPSes and rail shooters.

Nintendo are morons for not releasing a new F-Zero this gen (seriously, I buy your consoles for the franchises, this is ****ing betrayal you ****s).

The PS3 controller is subpar.

Wind Waker was subpar. Made a video review:

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Skyrim is great but deserves every last bit of flak it's been getting for its game-breaking bugs. The minority may not be the rule but it's big enough to count. This is how things get fixed for the next iteration, so bring on all the bitching about its bugs.

I'm cool with FortressCraft. Hell, I'm cool with any Minecraft clone. They were there for people on iOS and XBLA when Mojang wasn't, and that's enough to warrant their existence to me.

Retro-pixel fixation in the indie gaming industry needs to die like the WW2 fixation from last gen. It bugs me seeing the yearly Assassin's Creed be called a "cash grab" when there's many indie devs intentionally making their shit look old to cash in on the nostalgia. Indie gaming isn't devoid of tropes, and soon it'll become as much a "genre" as "indie music" is.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Cutscenes are good in moderation

Games don't need stories! The presence or absence of a story will never influence my purchase decision

Redundancy is good! does the game have 12 weapons that do almost the same thing? great! more variety!
Does the game have hundreds of dungeons with similar enemies? great! more to do! Are there twenty variations of wolves? cool! the old ones were getting too easy!

Rehashes are okay! If I like a game I'll probably like it still when a slightly different version of it is released. Why do video games have to change their formulas constantly, if something works very well then it's good to use it again and maybe make minor tweaks to it. Sports are all essentially the same as they have been for decades and people still seem pretty interested in them.

IGN reviews aren't that bad. They're a little generous with their scores, but other than that they are fair; they explain the strengths and weaknesses of the game and give a pretty good idea of what the gameplay is like. Their reviews influence me a little more than Yahtzee's or Jim Sterling's reviews (I just watch them because they're funny, but I only agree with them about 60% of the time).

Wii is a good system! Once you look past all the shovelware, there are some DAMN good games to be found in the wii's library! I have enjoyed about as many wii games as PS3 games.

I know PC gaming is superior, I still play console! This is an extremely invalid comparison because consoles remain static spec wise over their lifetime while PCs can be improved constantly! I play console games because I don't have to worry about the specs of my system, where half of the games I get on my PC will lagg untill I lower the graphics to minimum (I have a pretty lousy computer).
When I do play PC games, I adapt them to be as close to console gaming as possible; I play using a wireless gaming controller, I hook my computer up to my TV and I play on my couch, I just can't stand playing with a mouse and keyboard or on a screen that's less than 2 feet away from my face.
I actually played World of Warcraft on a 32 inch screen with a gaming controller and performed pretty well.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Half-life 2 and Portal were meh.

I liked Dragon Age 2.

Mass Effect 2 succeeded ME1 in pretty much every way.

I like Call of Duty.

Don't care about Nintendo.

EDIT:
geK0 said:
Redundancy is good! does the game have 12 weapons that do almost the same thing? great! more variety!
But how is it variety if its the same thing? Doesn't having 12 weapons that do the same thing defeat the purpose of variety?

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
There are no gimmicks, only gimmicky uses of game mechanics.

Gameplay is, on usually, more important than the story.

There is no such thing as an objectively good or bad anything, only things that the majority of people like.

If you play a game with mods, you are unfit to say how good the game is, only how good the mod/game+mod combo is.

Many (read: not all or most, just a lot of them) of the people who criticize Nintendo's franchises for a lack of innovation are either hypocrites, superficial, or hold Nintendo to overly-high standards, which they probably got from listening to Nintendo fanboys giving undue amounts of praise.

Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are not all they're cracked up to be.

I am interested in buying the Wii U (although it has an incredibly stupid name, and this is coming from someone who was OK with the Wii) if it has a good showing at the next E3.

I would rather play a great game that lasts 10 hours than a good game that lasts for 100.

The two games with the best stories that I've played are Cave Story and Super Paper Mario.

I liked Sonic Heroes, although that was back when I was a kid, so take that as you will.

Saying "Go back to your CoD" as an insult when someone doesn't like a game you do is stupid.

So stop it.

The following things are all overrated:
Innovation
Story
Indie games
Telling a story without cutscenes
Immersion

First Person sucks. It creates a large disadvantage to someone playing with it, as opposed to Third Person. At least in third person you know, among other things, whether you're about to fall off a cliff and where you're getting hit from.

Liking an old game does not make someone nostalgic.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Orange box is a snore fest

Halo Reach is the best Halo game

Gears of War is actually pretty good and not a generic cash cow franchise (Seriously, Epic only made 3 games!)

Regenerating health isn't bad.

I actually kinda like the saint or devil moral choice system, because if I'm an ass in a game, I usually want to be as big an ass as possible and vice versa.

ME1 kinda sucked while ME2 kicked ass.

"it's brown" is not a legitimate complaint.

I want GAME play in video GAMES, if you can work story into a game without sacrificing gameplay than more power to ya, but to me gameplay comes first.

People take Yahtzee way too seriously.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I dont like protagonists that talk. it breaks imersion for me. If I get immersed into the game I usualy voice what I would want him/her to say and having a voice actor start yapping just ruins it. Take HL2 for example. Mr. Silent himself and everyone else is scripted lines. Sometimes I will play as an annoying idot throwing cans and shit at there head and saying stupid stuff while they drone on. i pretend they are ignoring my annoying actions and chatter because they need me to save the world again. or other times I do a more serious play.

Stories in games. I hate it when the game holds my hand and tells me the whole story including backstory. i prefer discovering the story myself and if I dont pay attention i might miss something. and I prefer the story to not be the driving force in the game

in FPS games I prefer no base raping allowed, grenades for clearing enemy from cover, and rockets for vehicles or if the game has destructable environment then to blow shit up. using a grenade or a rocket on a lone person in the open and I quit the game. Fuck noob tubes and base raping.

I hate non goal oriented multiplayer in any genre. yes DM and TDM go go fuck right off. I also hate it when everyone plays said goal based matches play it as a TDM. I used to play allot of team king of the hill (TKOTH) where the goal was to capture a single location while the other team was trying to capture it too until everyone started playing outside the zone doing TDM and telling me to get out of the zone because im going to make the match end too soon. fuck that the goal is to hold the zone until the timer runs out and fuck you for playing TDM in a TKOTH!

I prefer less long and complicated jump mazes and easier ones in adventure games and none in FPS or RPG. Nothing like trying to get past those 10 jumps with the tiny pads to land on and then the moving ones where if you dont jump at the right spot and right time you must do it all over again especialy if you die if you miss. worst is when the jump mechanic isnt all that great like in HL2/portal where you continue moving once you landed. seriously "made it... FUUUUCKKKKKK!!!!!!!" slid off the other side for the 10th time frustrating bs. NOCLIP MODE!!

I dont like controllers except for a joystick for flying or a wheel for driving. seriously dont like them at all. I cant do a jump maze any better with a controler and I dont feel any genre is better with one.

I hate third person POV in games, If the gaem is third person only I wont buy it. mainly its because the camera always moves around especialy when you walk under somnething or beside something the camera would be at and it moves around the object. and clipping through it looks retarded.

Cinematic moments during a game are annoying to me. Cutscenes are bad but I can live with those because there needs to be moments to get a story through and a breather and its not what i am talking about. i am talking about finishing moves in combat based games, kill cams in FPS, bullet time watch the bullet fly into the dudes head, or jump cams in driving games. Seriously make that crap optional!

Blood, red filter on the edges, grit, dust, water drops, steam, ice on the screen when something happens ingame can go away. doesnt look good to me. neither does motion blur, or blurry screen if stamina runs low from sprinting. does every character wear goggles or a face shield and every place I am playing have a low oxygen problem?

I think Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, COD, and other overdone series could stop being made. Time for something fresh.

Well thats a few of my opinions on gaming in general.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
fnlrpa said:
ruben6f said:
6.Rome Total War was the worst RTS I played
Rome total war was a bad rts. seriously?
Well I played more RTS games so it's not the worst anymore, but it's still a steaming pile of crap that should have never existed, Medieval 2 on the other hand is a million times superior.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
1. I don't like difficult games. I don't play for challenge.

2. I'm perfectly okay with DLC and day-one DLC and online passes.

3. And I didn't realize that thinking Wind Waker is the best Zelda was an unpopular opinion, but if so, that one too.

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
1. Halo sucks ass.
2. The Elder Scrolls series is quite boring and terrible.
3. The new Pokemon is still better than Gen 1. (mostly talking gameplay here)
4. Dante's Inferno was good, just not great.
5. Resident Evil was never good (aside from RE4)
6. Dragon Age 2 is better than Origins.
7. Rockstar has never released a good game.
8. JRPGS are just as good as WRPGS. Both have great and terrible games.
9. The Nintendo Wii is still one of Nintendo's best consoles, second only to the N64.
10. Nathan Drake is a dick.
11. Zelda: Wind Waker is still my favorite game of all time.
12. Ocarina of Time is overrated.
13. Shadow the Hedgehog is a good game.
14. Nearly all gamers, myself included, are self-absorbed, petty, spoiled brats.
15. Western gaming only seems to produce crappy FPSs and Skyrim, while Japan gives more variety and more refreshing gameplay and story.