What aspect of gaming has progressed the least? What should be Focused on in the next generation?

Pulse

Nov 16, 2012
Yep, definately AI.

Graphical quality IS a great thing, and the easiest to achieve to show off your games, so I think it's understandable that that's where most of the effort went. It's somewhat disappointing that even the sims have essentially exactly the same AI system as when they first came out (or I gathered as much).

To be honest I really think(hope) A.I could be the groundbreaking area to drive next gen sales/development. They experimented with motion controls and discovered how limiting they are, graphical quality is plateauing, storytelling doesn't neccessarily have universal appeal, and touchscreens don't add anything significant. (I'm not going to get into those points though).

And the great thing is, it's completely doable on technology we have available now, but it's just overlooked, and all it takes is a bit more effort in fleshing out the A.I. Even simple things, like phrase counters so they can at least vary responses would make a massive difference. Hell, I bet quite a few the people on these forums have a pretty good idea for an A.I system they could reasonably flowchart.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I'd like to see more humility in contemporary titles- so many of my favorite games in general either have a pretty simple theme, small settings or small cast, and then find ways to play off a small scale to make the bigger things seem all the more impressive. Like with aesthetic, greater processing power means that developers can have bigger, more flashy environments and events, so they don't have to be as creative in trying to make it seem big and engaging, eventually turning into the samey plots and people that accompany the high-res brown that identifies games of this past generation.

A sense of scale just adds to the magic- Part of what makes pokemon so special is that you start out just as this little kid with a cool pet, romping around in the woods, and build up to giant versions of the critters you knew and love.

Or think of how we all absolutely loved Portal, despite it having small environments, few mechanics and a tiny tiny cast.

Even Twilight Princess, though comparatively limited to its other-console peers by Gamecube limitations, managed to be a really great game that felt like a game of this gen, even if it didn't quite look it.

I'm not saying all games have to start out small or anything like that, but with machines the way they are now, we have an even greater potential for contrasting one point of the experience to the other to make it feel bigger, or more touching, or all the other tricks in the book of clever game design, and it hasn't been taken advantage of nearly as often as I think it should.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
gamernerdtg2 said:
If we look at genres, I can answer this.
Brawlers (anything that plays like Double Dragon or Final Fight) have died.
Brawlers aren't dead, they're just a niche genre these days. We still have Castle Crashers, Shank, Double Dragon Neon, and that Scott Pilgrim game people liked.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
debigcheez said:
Aesthetic

The irony (i don't know if i'm using that term correctly) of the modern gaming scene is that it's pumping all of it's money into high fidelity graphics while at the same time completely disregarding aesthetic.

Hey Gears of War i can't enjoy your new, shiny engine if you don't let it experiment with color, yes that is in fact a very pretty shade of brown but wouldn't it be better if it was perhaps pink?

Obviously there are bigger issues than visuals but i just find this specific thing funny.
Ha! It's because realism isn't an artistic style and takes less work! Da Vinci should have spent more time painting mushrooms and cartoon lizards. Sarcasm!

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
AI. I can't remember the last time an AI actually beat me without having multipliers, particularly in strategy games.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Personally, I have been missing a sense of mystery and discovery in games lately.

I want exploration to be expansive again, like in the Metroid Prime series. I want the mystery to feel profound, in the style of The Longest Journey. Basically, I want games to be truly captivating experiences again, drawing the player in completely.

Most games these days feel so damn insipid. Tired concepts, lazy writing, bad dialogue.

What does it take for people to start dreaming big again? To take risks? To provide radically different experiences?

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
AI.
AI.

AAAAA IIIII.

Seriously, I can think of at least one game that at least satisfies every field that everyone else has complained about but I can't think of a game with truly stellar AI that actually adapt, identify, react, and perhaps even pose a challenge without their stats just being multiplied by 100.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can see what the OP means about AI...a lot of the tactics I can use in PS2 and Xbox games seem just as sound as the tactics I use in this day and age.

---

I would say play-style equality. What I mean is, and I've mentioned this before multiple times, is that there are a ton of games that talk about how great their multiplayer is going to be. I'm talking about games like Halo here where the multiplayer isn't just tacked on but is a relatively big draw for buying the game. The developers will talk about how great the multiplayer is and how everyone is going to love it. Then once the game is release you discover that you can only play the multiplayer portion online or that only a portion of the multiplayer content is available using split-screen. Way back in the N64's day games with multiplayer could support 4-way splitscreen and bot matches yet games today seldom if ever use the former and never, EVER support the later. I realize I'm in the minority but I and other's can't access the internet using our consoles.

In Halo for example, the AI marines and enemies are capable of some level of intelligently attacking in addition to that they can use vehicles and I'm sure I've seen them switch out weapons. There's no reason that couldn't have been implemented in a bot-match type of set up for Halo's 2 on. Once Halo 3 is taken offline the only way you're going to be able to attempt accessing that content is by trying to get LAN parties together and there are people like me who can't even access those modes...Can we fix that this generation?

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Artificial intelligence and level design. No more tunnel shooters with only one path, artificial, knee-high borders you cannot jump over, and and endless spawning enemy waves that are nothing more but shooting galleries. Especially not in RPGs like Mass Effect.

I mean, the AI doesn't have to be stellar, if the mooks just managed to, I don't know, come for you if you're hiding behind cover, hide properly behind cover themselves, notice if you shoot a buddy 10 meters next to them, and so on... that would already be something. And don't believe that it's "probably just my imagination" if I shoot an arrow to their knee from hiding.

Meaning of Karma said:
Dialogue and voice acting.

Dear lord, the dialogue is just absolutely god awful in most games. Wooden delivery, contrived info-dumps, conversations and character interactions that feel bizarre and unnatural, etc.

It makes it terribly hard to take a lot of games seriously.
Yea, that's not exactly top notch in many games as well.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
AI. I want it to fuck me up and give me a run for my money. Is it the hardest to code for? Because you never fully know what the player is going to do?

Oddly enough, the bots in Battlefield 1942 gave me a sense of good AI. Probably because they were doing their own thing and I was just another soldier on the field to them. In reality, they were terrible. Upping the difficulty just increased their accuracy haha.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Game releases in general. It seems that games are being released in their beta version nowadays.
The AI. It seems like the AI has barely evolved or even regressed in certain cases.

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
Ways of dealing with problems other than shooting them. I'm not against violent games, but going to an area and shooting 50 dudes, then progressing to the next story segment has gotten old.

Example: Uncharted had platforming sections, puzzle sections, and shooting sections. But the games as a whole were very heavily weighted towards shooting. This made Drake seem like this one-man-army killing machine while the rest of the game presented him as more whimsical adventurer.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Dimensionality and tactile interface... where's my holodeck, dammit?

All seriousness aside though:

I'm not sure if this is too vague for the topic and it might be more of a side-note, but I think modern games' tendency to mimic cinema, as well as a disproportionate emphasis on graphics, has stunted its growth in interactivity. It feels like respect for the player's intelligence and curiosity is being sacrificed for linear story telling and forced immersion. The effect is especially pronounced in long-running franchises like Hitman, Metroid, Final Fantasy, etc... (Deus Ex and Elder Scrolls deserve credit for trying, but are still shaking under the weight of the trends).

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Level design.

A lot of games today make you feel like you're on rails, only allowing you to look at all the cool stuff going on in the background. The new Tomb Raider was the first action adventure game in a long time that really gave me some breathing room to explore all the nooks and crannies of the levels. And it was tremendously inviting to do so.
Good grief is Level Design in the shitter right now.

The amount of hand-holding and idiot-proofing in level design for most big games is just...unrelenting.
Let the player move around a bit in those beautifully rendered backdrops. Games like Deus-Ex: Human Revolution worked so well because it wasn't a hyperlinear corridor littered with cutscenes and Baysplosions.

Even Borderlands manages to give the player some incentive to explore (Borderlands 2...not quite so much unless you're looking for Vault Symbols).

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
AI, without a doubt. Part of the thrill of video games is that the AI could actually stand up and kick you around. Since video games are all about interactivity, this should be a priority over anything else.

Some optimization would be nice game devs. Graphical and performance optimization that is. I'll just let Jeffers talk here, as he said it much better than I ever could. Take it away, Jeffers!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
So, I brought this up over on the Destructoid forums a little while ago, and got some interesting responses, so figured I'd bring it up here as well and see what the Escapist community thinks.

See, when it comes to gaming hardware, there seems to only be one metric which gamers use to decide whether a piece of hardware is great or shit: Power! Whether it's Bits, or GFLOPS or clockspeeds, we gamers seem to let hardware live or die purely based on how powerful it is.

Now, my contention is that this is a rather bizarre mindset to be in. If you look at any other field of technology analysis, nothing is ever rated purely on how powerful it is, but on a whole category of requirements that are all measured up. What a piece of technology is worth is how well all those factors come together.

The example I used was cars- right now, gamers seem to be stuck in the Jeremy Clarkson mindset of:

..wherein the perfect car would look probably something like this:

However, Jeremy Clarkson knowingly portrays himself on Top Gear as a bit of an idiot, and would readily admit that you can never judge a car purely on how much horsepower it has. Yes, a car might have 800bhp, but if it handles like a turd, rides like a trampoline made of grit, and drinks up fuel like an alcoholic at Oktoberfest, then it's not really all that good of a car. Great automobile engineering is about bringing together a whole host of different things like reliability, efficiency, handling, weight, and so on, and making a car work well within the design limits you set it.

To illustrate this, the following is one of the most acclaimed cars of the past twenty years. There are few cars that can keep up with it on the race track, and it has won plaudits and awards all around the world.

It also only has 134hp.

The Lotus Elise.

By any modern metric, the actual power of the engine in the Lotus Elise is quite modest. Even the 'supercharged' Exige model only offers 192hp, which isn't bad, but certainly nothing compared to a Lancer Evo or a Nissan Skyline, let alone something like a Pagani Zonda or a Mclaren Mercedes SLR. But if the engine is so weak, why is the Elise regarded as so good? It doesn't have any POWAH! after all.

Because while the engine is fairly lower powered, the car itself weighs next to nothing, and has been designed entirely around offering unparalleled handling. Top Gear themselves called the Elise the best handling car in the world, and its acceleration is also phenomenally fast (0-60 in 5.8 seconds). If anyone wants proof of what a phenomenal piece of engineering the Elise is, especially the Exige model:

Ok, so enough wittering on about cars j-e-f-f-e-r-s, what does this have to do with games?

Well, it seems to me that more and more of us are falling into the Jeremy Clarkson mindset of "More POWAH!" except without the self referential irony. We have an increasing tendency to praise hardware that's seen as powerful, even if it's actually quite badly put together, while sneering at hardware we deem less powerful, even if its put together and runs with incredible efficiency. I'll use a couple of examples, first of which is:

The Gamecube.

When it came out, the Gamecube's on-paper specs were pretty modest. They were better than the PS2's, sure, but they were also absolutely dwarfed by the Xbox's. The Xbox not only had a higher clocked CPU (733MHZ), it had an internal hard-drive... in fact, you can read an in-depth specs analysis sheet here. Barring a few exceptions, the on paper specs of the Xbox blow the doors off the Gamecube in pretty much every category. More RAM, more memory bandwidth, the whole shebang.

So in theory, that means the Xbox should have had noticeably better looking games than the Gamecube, right? Actually, no. That wasn't the case. Despite its lower specs on paper, the Gamecube was also one of the most efficiently engineered consoles the industry has probably ever seen. Not only were games such as Star Fox Adventure notable for having advanced graphical effects despite being launched early in the console's life, but Rogue Squadron 3 has the highest polygon count of any sixth-generation console game, while also running at 60fps. Wind Waker was one of the most notable games for its advanced graphics. Despite being a cel-shaded game, and therefore ostensibly being simpler, Wind Waker had a whole host of ridiculously advanced programming going on under the hood: early tesselation, running two lighting engines simultaneously, and other neat graphical tricks. Despite having specs that should have resulted in lesser looking games, the Gamecube was able to match the Xbox with games like Metroid Prime and RE4, and even outperform it with RS3.

Even better, the Gamecube was made with a prime lode of Nintendium. Not only was it a well engineered piece of kit, it was also the smallest of the sixth-gen consoles, and nigh on indestructable. In fairness, the old Xbox was also a durable old machine, but in this video here, the Gamecube is the only console to survive having weights dropped on it, being hit with a sledgehammer, and dropped from a 1 storey height. Not only did Nintendo engineer the Gamecube to work with an incredible degree of efficiency, they also made sure it could take one hell of a beating.

Conversely, let's look at a system that was praised for its specs at the time, the Xbox 360. Despite being somewhat short on RAM when it came out, tech-heads everywhere praised it for the fact that it had a hefty tri-core CPU, an advanced GPU, and its own built-in tessellation unit. Purely based on metrics of POWAH! the 360 was a superb piece of kit for the time. What happened next? Well...

As it turns out, while the 360 may have been a 'powerful' piece of hardware, the first wave of models were also terribly designed and badly put together. To this day, there still hasn't been a conclusive reason discovered for why so many consoles fried themselves. Some believe it was the poor quality soldering used to connect the components, others believe it was Microsoft cutting corners on the GPU which led to excessive heat production. However you look at it, though, the 360 was a very shabbily put together piece of hardware. High-end PC components were chucked onto a motherboard without consideration of how much heat they'd produce. Extra large fans were then bodged together to deal with that heat, without consideration of how much noise they'd produce. Even if your 360 is working to this day, there's no denying that it's a loud machine which sits in the corner making Concorde impressions every time it fires up.

Even worse, that tesselation unit that's sitting in the 360? For the most part, it's redundant. Some games like Halo: Reach managed to make use of the tessellation unit to render prettier looking oceans, but for the vast majority of games, the tessellation unit has been sat there collecting dust on the motherboard. The consensus apparently being that while in theory it's nice to have such a unit in the console, in practise Microsoft made it too difficult to use properly to make it worthwhile.

I believe these two consoles make a very direct contrast to each other, and to me, they highlight the disconnect that is becoming more apparent in this industry. Praising something purely for the sake of POWAH! is pointless if efficiency and reliability are thrown out of the window. Conversely, hardware that is put together with the focus on utmost efficiency can be surprisingly effective at outputting great looking graphics, while also offering the possibility for greater reliability, smaller power consumption, and better affordability.

I know there are quite a few PC gamers on here who like to bemoan the current lack of POWAH! in today's gaming machines, but I also believe there are quite a few like myself, who would like to see the emphasis in the industry change from GFLOPS and clock speeds to overall efficiency and cohesive engineering.

Your thoughts? Anyone believe that the industry should focus on powerful hardware specs over other facets of hardware engineering?

Hmmm, what else?... Ah! I'd like the level design back! I want to get lost in the game's world, not experience it like a cinematic movie! When will those publishers and developers stop trying to make games into movies? IT'S APPLES AND ORANGES FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

And my last one is sorta just a personal thing: difficulty. I understand that developers would like to make their game accessible to most people, but difficulty that isn't bullshit half the time could help. See Cave Story, the Ys games, Dark Souls, the older Mario games for better examples of difficulty.

As for what I've liked about modern gaming, I guess I have to say the controls. They no longer feel as if I have to give a handjob to a fussy horse. >,>

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Manji187 said:
What does it take for people to start dreaming big again? To take risks? To provide radically different experiences?
A better economy. lol

Maybe you've seen that half-hour "market-crash" video floating around the forums; if not, you won't have to look far, it's everywhere. This is where I pretentiously moan, "I couldn't be bothered to post it, excuse me while I play the grand piano" in my best upper-middle-class-twit voice. And I won't post it at this time, because it's everywhere, but I can if you haven't seen it, are interested, and cannot find it.