What Aspect of Gaming Would You Like to See Improved?

Alexander Bradley

Dec 31, 2010
To me, a good game is something that'll entertain me, keep me quiet, and gives me a sense of relaxation. A great game is something that completely immerses me into the world of the game, has my screaming at my television, and makes me pause for about 20 minutes so I calm down. Unfortunately, I don't find very many games that fit into the latter category, from my perspective. The latest one to do that is Bioshock: Infinite, but before that, I can't really even remember for sure.

As you can probably guess, the big thing I go for in games is the storytelling and structuring of the plot. Personally, I'd like to see a lot more games come out with plots that make me think or give some real emotional moments. But of course, I'm sure there are plenty of other aspects that could be improved upon as well. So, what aspect of gaming would you like to see improved?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
For me its dynamic/flexibility and replayability, Mount and Blade and X-COM:EU are very flexible with the player, so are the Hitman games, they offer a lot of power to the player to take command of what happens next and then adjust to it instead of preventing the player from doing it in the first place. The replayability then comes from how open the game is to the player.

Thats something that I am kind of wanting to see from games in the future

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
I want to see what kinds of worlds and stories "other people and cultures" would make. I'm really tired of tolkien retreads and star wars knockoffs.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Gameguy20100 said:
Its Fanbase honestly that has some massive issues and we need to fix it.
Agreed. Gamers, as a group, have a serious attitude and entitlement problem. And with the internet being a rage echo chamber, I really don't know how to go about fixing it. Rational points are immediately discarded by the outrage bandwagon. Anything other than lock-step agreement results in dismissal and accusation of working for the target of the anger. It is really a sad situation.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Alexander Bradley said:
Gameguy20100 said:
What do you mean?
Gamers as a whole have a massive attitude issue we see it all the time
The hate for EA. hate of drm and dlc. ME3 ending hatred of Datnes new look.

not to mention the whole console's vs PC war Gamers are mostly whiny entitled shit bags.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Gameguy20100 said:
Alexander Bradley said:
Gameguy20100 said:
What do you mean?

not to mention the whole console's vs PC war Gamers are mostly whiny entitled shit bags.
Keep using the word "entitled". I don't think it means what you think it means.

The people themselves don't "hate" or "whine" about anything. It's people like you, who combine all the complaints about, let's say, EA, or ME3's ending, and attribute it to one entity, instead of, let's say, normal people, like you and me, who have a usually well thought opinion, but struggle to make it relevant, because without looking extravagant they will never be noticed (and the way you chose to express yourself shows how true that is).

So no, "gamers as a whole" don't have a massive attitude issue. One or two people, who happen to be gamers, have it and people like you make them the gamer's spokesmen.

OT: I think something all games need is a better relation between gameplay and story. As it is right now, in most games they exist in completely different planes of existance.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I'd like to see AI improve. I'd like to have it so just one enemy is enough to provide a satisfying challenge without adding a bunch more health to him. I think this can also help with the story disconnect of everyday person who kills hundreds of bad guys in the matter of minutes.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Gameguy20100 said:
ME ending and Dante maybe, but how is hatred of EA and DRM and shitty DLC practices unjustified?

EA has committed to fuck up after fuck up toward consumers. DRM such as Sim City is awful and EA has repeatedly tried to nickle and dime customers with dlc and now even micro transactions in SP games.

People aren't raging because they're 'entitled' or whining, they're raging because they care about the games and hate seeing EA run them into the ground.

As for the OP's question, my personal choice would be A.I.

Has been little if any significant advancement in enemy A.I for the last decade. Granted much of the focus has shifted toward multiplayer experience, but it's becoming really noticeable how far behind the A.I technology is behind relative to the current generation of visuals/engines.

Would love to see some actually 'intelligent' A.I replace the current brain dead zombie enemies that can do little other than spam grenades and hide behind chest high walls.

Tazzman

Apr 20, 2013
Hmm I'm going to have to go with improving the AI, the bane of every single total war game. Other than that most of my complaints lie with single titles rather than gaming as a whole

Jun 11, 2009
Arslan Aladeen said:
I'd like to see AI improve. I'd like to have it so just one enemy is enough to provide a satisfying challenge without adding a bunch more health to him. I think this can also help with the story disconnect of everyday person who kills hundreds of bad guys in the matter of minutes.
Just imagine if Valve hired out their AI programmers to every game. Shit would be cash.

OT:

Personally, I'd like to see more freedom with graphical fidelity and art style. Massive, eight million polygon character models shouldn't be the default, and 3D or 2D should be as much of a choice as genre or a core gameplay mechanic.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
ron1n said:
Gameguy20100 said:
ME ending and Dante maybe, but how is hatred of EA and DRM and shitty DLC practices unjustified?

EA has committed to fuck up after fuck up toward consumers. DRM such as Sim City is awful and EA has repeatedly tried to nickle and dime customers with dlc and now even micro transactions in SP games.

People aren't raging because they're 'entitled' or whining, they're raging because they care about the games and hate seeing EA run them into the ground.
If you have issues with EA that's fine but some people say that they would feel ok with killing people who work there now that's just to fucking far.

And DRM and DLC are mainly our fault because people pirate games and company's use drm and dlc to combat piracy, but gamer's pirate more its a bad cycle and even if these practices are shitty and all the company's fault they wouldn't keep doing them if people wouldn't buy them if it makes them money why should they stop it?.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Communication between the community, the consumers, the developers, and the publishers.

As far as I know, publishers and developers live in vaults and its very rare for them to actually address the community (By that I mean talk to them individually), people like Bungie, Valve and Bethesda show otherwise.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Alexander Bradley said:
A great game is something that completely immerses me into the world of the game, has my screaming at my television, and makes me pause for about 20 minutes so I calm down.
You really think the mark of a great game is its ability to cause frustration and uninhibited anger? I guess there's nothing really wrong with that but it does sound bizarre. It's sort of like how some people fantasize about being married so they can indulge in all sorts of arguments with their spouse.

OT: I've been on a weird Bioware binge so I can't help but yearn for more diverse stories and core concepts for games in general. For example, I've saved Baldur's Gate, Ferelden, The Water Dragon, and the Galaxy but I've only been tasked to find a way to end my immortality in a bizarre crossroads between worlds once. For every 10 Baldur's gates there is only one Planescape: Torment and that discrepancy bothers me.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013

some people say that they would feel ok with killing people who work there
So which is it then? You obviously aren't implying everyone that takes issue with EA's horrid practices is homicidal. In which case we are talking about a small, idiotic minority. Hence don't try and paint both parties with the same brush.

And DRM and DLC are mainly our fault because people pirate games and company's use drm and dlc to combat piracy
Do you honestly believe that? :/

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Gamers. Can we fix them and make them less awful? I don't care how many of them you think are there problem, there are enough creating problems that they need fixing above everything else.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Gameguy20100 said:
Damn ninja'd by the first post . This . So much this . Although i wouldn't have used the word fanbase , i would have said the community . So much hostility .

Ebonrul

Apr 4, 2013
I kind of like the fanbase. Granted it has some problems with an "institutionalized mindset" but it at least seeks to fix it's own problems rather than hold on to them because of tradition. The companies that make the product will only change when they've been made to, but they are being made to.

I agree with everyone on A.I. I have gunned down some of the prettiest, stupidest enemies this side of the 90's and even though the targets are far more beautifully rendered, they aren't any smarter than they were in Wolfenstein. The joke about enemies using red barrels for cover is over a decade old.

Yeah kiddies, let that sink in.

But mostly I'd like to see a change in how games are marketed. The idea that the entire game market is a single entity is so out-of-touch with reality, that studio-killing PR nightmares in the game industry have become commonplace. Entire marketing plans are pushed forward on the belief that everyone playing games is a fourteen year-old male and as I'm not, I resent that.

Makes me want to keep my money in my pocket...I'm probably not the only one.

Captcha Face the music

oooh...how ominous