What bands/artists do you listen to that aren't nearly as good as they used to be?

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Genericjim101 said:
Red Hot Chili Peppers with the change of guitarist from John Frusciante to Josh Klinghoffer some of the creative process was bound to be different but also the backing vocals are mostly gone : /
THIS EXACTLY. You took the words right out of my mouth.

What this man said.

Gennaroc

Jul 30, 2011
Metalhandkerchief said:
As for Black Holes and Revelations, I don't think we can blame them for the 2 bad songs on it (Starlight and Supermassive Black Hole)
sorry what?... 0_o

Isn't Supermassive Black Hole pretty much universally recognised as one of their better songs? Are you saying that solely because it featured in Twilight?

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Sniperyeti said:
Radiohead
They're still brilliant, but I can't help this feeling that ever since "In Rainbows" its been a slowly sinking ship, and King of Limbs really didn't do anything to change that opinion.
What, you'd rather listen to The Bends? Get out of heeeere~

More ontopic, Snow Patrol. I absolutely loved Songs for Polar Bears and pretty much nothing after that besides Chasing Cars. Was a strange shift, to say the least.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Emery. Their debut The Weak's End was awesome enough to knock me out of my hip-hop phase and get me right back to rock. Everything after that has not made me as excited as that first album did.

Also, to a degree, Anberlin. Cities was a really great album, but the two after that sound like they're trying to go the opposite direction.

Sniperyeti said:
Radiohead
They're still brilliant, but I can't help this feeling that ever since "In Rainbows" its been a slowly sinking ship, and King of Limbs really didn't do anything to change that opinion.
I kinda agree. I haven't fully listened to King of Limbs yet, but from what I had heard, it doesn't sound as intriguing as Kid A did.

RedFox742

Apr 22, 2011
Sonata Arctica. Used to be my favorite band, through their first four albums.

They used to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy81-mzwQoE

Now they do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG7Oxw8HqLU

Went from being speedy and balls-out fun despite dark-romantic themes to being thudding, droning dull with those same increasingly stale dark-romantic themes. Bleh. This is what they call "maturing," I guess. What is it that makes every good power-metal band inevitably screw with their sound the moment they find success?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I miss the old Linkin Park. Unlike almost the entire world, I didn't have much of a problem with their lyrics being depressing and such. It worked for them and made them popular. New stuff......I don't overly mind A Thousand Suns, but Minutes to Midnight was stupid.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I don't listen to them if they're not as good as they should be. :l

For instance: Primus just released an album but I felt that it was very mediocre compared to their old stuff, so I don't listen to it.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
All of them, they all tried far too hard to appeal to the mainstream audience, yep, I sound like a total hipster (I probably am one, no matter how hard I try to fight it), but it's true. I can say the same about game devs, too, and in many cases film makers and TV shows. Eventually, they all sell-out...

NpPro93 said:
Postal Service. because they have not released another album. and that is not as good as before, when they released an album and it blew my freakin' mind.
Also, OMG, this, The Postal Service is why I like music, and I will never get another album from them. It's just a one-time side-project that Ben Gibbard doesn't care about anymore. I say this as "We Will Become Silhouettes" comes up on my playlist, I'm sad now...

Jamster003

Aug 13, 2011
Seeing alot of muse being mentioned here. I agree 'the resistance' wasn't as good as their previous albums, but i loved exogenesis symphony trilogy, easily the best 3 songs on that album.

parasyteFMA

Jan 3, 2011
Avenged Sevenfold
Linkin Park
Sonata Arctica

Pretty much bands that have already been named, though I was surprised someone put Sonata Arctica.

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
Reaper195 said:
I miss the old Linkin Park. Unlike almost the entire world, I didn't have much of a problem with their lyrics being depressing and such. It worked for them and made them popular. New stuff......I don't overly mind A Thousand Suns, but Minutes to Midnight was stupid.
Eh, I don't mind their new stuff. I like both, really. Their old stuff was good, but I found it had a bit too much screaming for me (on a couple of the songs). The new stuff doesn't quite have the same impact, but I still like it.
Metalhandkerchief said:
PoisonUnagi said:
What, you'd rather listen to The Bends? Get out of heeeere~

More ontopic, Snow Patrol. I absolutely loved Songs for Polar Bears and pretty much nothing after that besides Chasing Cars. Was a strange shift, to say the least.
Wait, you didn't like Final Straw???

I love that album.
Yeah, I love that too.

OT: Well, I'm sure not many people now them, but I would have to say Okkervil River. All their stuff is great, but the later albums don't have the same impact as the earlier ones.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
I really like Taking Back Sunday, but their album before last was widely considered, even by the band, to be their worst. Their latest album is a big improvement, but my favorite albums are the ones with Fred Mascherino on guitar. He only appeared on two albums, however, so it's an interesting case where the band was good for two albums, great for two, bad for one, and good for one.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Arctic Monkey's most recent album was average at best.
Franz Ferdinand have steadily gotten worse.
The Killer's have never reclaimed the awesome vibe they had on Hot Fuss.
Kings of Leon lost their way after Because of the Times.
The most recent album from The Living End plain sucked.
Muse's The Resistance had more bad songs than the rest of their albums combined.

And that's all I can find/think of for now.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
MellowFellow said:
I would have said Rise Against, but their latest album, Endgame, is better than Appeal to Reason, in my opinion. It gives me some hope.

Also I am still sad that Innerpartysystem is on an indefinite hiatus.

As for my answer I will go with My Chemical Romance. Their latest album just wasn't that great in my opinion. I like a couple of the songs though.
Agreed, Appeal To Reason was OK, but it was by far the worst album they made.

Ash has gone from having some pretty awesome hard rock, but have started with more techno-like music which makes me sad.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Kenbo Slice said:
1. Avenged Sevenfold. used to be a great band, then when they released City of Evil I lost all faith in them.
Funnily enough, I only like their work from City of Evil and later.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Reaper195 said:
Personally, I prefer their newer stuff to their older stuff, and even I reckon their older stuff was awesome. But for me, they've improved each album, purely because they know that their 'fans' keep moaning that they're changing and yet they don't care. Thing is, if they didn't change then people would complain that they're getting predictable and boring, but if they do (which they have), they change for the better, and yet people then still moan because it's different to their previous stuff. Not because it's worse, only because it's different.

Still, what I find funny about the whole situation is that Linkin Park know this and they laugh at it. They even lampshade it in one of their songs from A Thousand Suns. Listen to the actual lyrics in this and see if you can spot what they mean... ;)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I can't think of any bands that are as good as they used to be, except Tool unless their new album doesn't turn out as good as 10,000 Days. Then again, I prefer Lateralus.

Kenbo Slice said:
1. Avenged Sevenfold. used to be a great band, then when they released City of Evil I lost all faith in them.
I guess it's because you didn't like how they changed their style to something more punkish. City Of Evil has some of their best melody's, the albums after I couldn't enjoy at all though cause all of it was so weak and even more commercial.

Kenbo Slice said:
3. Eminem, his older stuff was sheer brilliance, I have no idea what happened.
That's most bands/singers/rappers really. I'm trying to figure out that mystery and it's usually because their interests change and they try to keep it the same as their old work which doesn't work apparently. They must move on to something new if they still want to be as successful.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Yopaz said:
MellowFellow said:
I would have said Rise Against, but their latest album, Endgame, is better than Appeal to Reason, in my opinion. It gives me some hope.

Also I am still sad that Innerpartysystem is on an indefinite hiatus.

As for my answer I will go with My Chemical Romance. Their latest album just wasn't that great in my opinion. I like a couple of the songs though.
Agreed, Appeal To Reason was OK, but it was by far the worst album they made.

Ash has gone from having some pretty awesome hard rock, but have started with more techno-like music which makes me sad.
#1. Someone else who's listened to Ash! Finally!
#2. If you've listened to A-Z in it's entirety then you should know thats not true. If not then click the spoiler for links to several newer songs that are not only not technoish in anyway, but also kick ass. Trust me, they're still amazing.

Pick and choose, it doesn;t matter which ones you want to listen to, though I'd start with the first one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blDXCZhf3AA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZbeI5W9r_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nGOTiYVY5c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDzhSmRepmc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmXjSGmHFJM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfPyjEnEWkc&feature=related

Muse has a lot to make up for with me after the garbage that was The Resistance. Apart from the title track, MK Ultra, and Uprising it was horrible. I really hope they can get me back in their good graces after that.

Franz Ferdinand are still a good group but their overall effort has really nose-dived, the too need to go back to the drawing board to reestablish my faith in them.

Snow Patrol are going to a bad place with their music and I think it;s somewhat obvious they won't be coming back either, which sucks, because Final Straw was one of my favourite albums and the follow-ups have had some solid work in them.