What book are you reading right now?

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
Blood of the Mantis by Adrian Tchaikovsky, number 3 in his Shadows of the Apt series. If you're into fantasy I'd highly recommend it.

Mr.Monkey

Sep 21, 2009
If you want to go on a much darker journey round America, Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis, it's sick twisted and I LOVE it. (Warrens first "book" book)

Good Omens (co-written by Terry Pratchett) and Neverwhere are great novels again by Neil

crotalidian said:
Mr.Monkey said:
Fantastic book, (hope you got the extended version) recommend reading Anasi boys straight after.

Fraught said:
I'm currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and I love it. It's humorous, it's odd, it's surreal, it doesn't shy away from using obscenities and often talking about sexual topics, it takes place in modern-day America, while still mainly handling mythological themes, and it's generally really fun to read.

I'd like to say it's a light-hearted fantasy book, but so much of it is rooted in reality, but at the same time comprising of so many fantasy elements, and the subject matter is something very apparent in our own world, and is wonderfully handled with both humour, and seriousness.

All in all, I think it's very good book, but at the same time I have a suspicion it might be polarizing; I, personally, adore it, but I'm very sure that there are people who don't like it nearly as much. Still, I recommend to give it a chance.
Have recently finished Anansi Boys. Great story and does follow on nicely (completely different story mind you)

Read the original version of american gods and 'light hearted' is not a term I would use, there are funny moments but also quite a lot of dark, scary and sinister moments too (especially the coming to america asides). Can someone suggest where to go after Anansi boys pls?

Uncreative

Oct 29, 2009
About half way through Pride and Prejudice right now, gonna start World War Z after that.

It took me till I was done typing that to realize that I should probably never let those touch, lest the universe implode.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Well I Have read SOME of Good Omens if I read it all I dont remember it (read it as a pratchett fan before I appreciated Neil. Will go back to it a t some point and follow up with neverwhere once I get up to date with a song of Ice and Fire

Mr.Monkey said:
If you want to go on a much darker journey round America, Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis, it's sick twisted and I LOVE it. (Warrens first "book" book)

Good Omens (co-written by Terry Pratchett) and Neverwhere are great novels again by Neil

crotalidian said:
Mr.Monkey said:
Fantastic book, (hope you got the extended version) recommend reading Anasi boys straight after.

Fraught said:
I'm currently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and I love it. It's humorous, it's odd, it's surreal, it doesn't shy away from using obscenities and often talking about sexual topics, it takes place in modern-day America, while still mainly handling mythological themes, and it's generally really fun to read.

I'd like to say it's a light-hearted fantasy book, but so much of it is rooted in reality, but at the same time comprising of so many fantasy elements, and the subject matter is something very apparent in our own world, and is wonderfully handled with both humour, and seriousness.

All in all, I think it's very good book, but at the same time I have a suspicion it might be polarizing; I, personally, adore it, but I'm very sure that there are people who don't like it nearly as much. Still, I recommend to give it a chance.
Have recently finished Anansi Boys. Great story and does follow on nicely (completely different story mind you)

Read the original version of american gods and 'light hearted' is not a term I would use, there are funny moments but also quite a lot of dark, scary and sinister moments too (especially the coming to america asides). Can someone suggest where to go after Anansi boys pls?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
"The Lucy Family Alphabet"

By Judith Lucy.

It's a funny autobiography of sorts in which one of Australia's better comedians tells the story of her eccentric family and more importantly about how she discovered she was adopted.

MinishArcticFox

Jan 4, 2010
I'm reading the Forever Peace by Joe Halderman which is the sequal to the Forever War by the same guy and if you haven't read it and like science fiction you should try it.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Roadside Picnic by Boris & Arkady Strugatsky.

If you're a STALKER fan, you owe it to yourself to read this book.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
Hey i'm reading the Desert Spear ^^

Anyway a couple of nice books(series):
The Rome books by Simon Scarrow

Chronicles of the Necromancer by Gail Z. Martin

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss <------ AWESOME !!! (not that the others are bad but this one is AWESOME)

The Witcher serie by Andrzej Sapkowski

The Power of Five by Anthony Horowitz

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

all series but that just more epic reading ^^

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis - one of his non-fiction works. I've been meaning to read it for a while. It's pretty good.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Mr.Monkey said:
Well, I have this [http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Gods-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0755322819/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275486544&sr=8-1] version. It's the "Author's preferred text", and from the Introduction, I gathered that this is the edition where nothing was trimmed. This is what Gaiman wrote, the first manuscript, with nothing taken away.

Also, I might just even read Anansi Boys. Truth be told, American Gods is my first Gaiman book, but I definitely already love his work. Though I've seen Stardust, so that is probably the lowest on the list of Gaiman's books I want to read, Anansi Boys is near the top, along with Neverwhere, which from what I've read of it, greatly interests me.

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness, it's swiftly becoming my one of my favourite books. It represents the best type of Sci-fi: intelligent sci-fi.

Strid

Oct 24, 2009
In addition to the assortment of manga I read, Im also re-reading the whole Darren Shan saga.

God, just reading these books fills me with a huge amount a nostalgia.