What can save Sonic?

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Easy: Port the Sonic Advance games to a console, and consider giving them a visual/technical facelift. Sonic's best games in the last ten years have been on the handhelds.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Make 2.5D games with the classic run at super fast speeds to the end of the level gameplay, stop with the additions of new types of gameplay and characters, and for God's sake please get rid of characters like Knuckles and Cream, I swear out of all the characters in the series those two piss me off the most.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
The question is, CAN sonic be saved? It's like Sega focused more on some bull shit marketing ploys instead of actual game play.

Look! Sonic has a sword! Look! Sonic is on Blu Ray! Look! He's a fucking werewolf!

Seriously, they should try and not take the entire fan base as retards, because we really aren't. They should try an appeal to kids AND us fans, perhaps us fans even more so simply because A dumb fan like me sticks with them, no matter how shitty the game is, and no matter how old we are.

I personally think Unleashed could've been a good game, it had a lot of potential, if only it wasn't for the BS marketing ploys. I mean, now is not the time for experimenting with sonic, he was a successful franchise, and even with the crappy games coming a lot lately they still have a massive fan base and they still have cults following them practically.

Instead of experimenting with new half assed things to add on to sonic they should simply follow the formula that made sonic so excellent.

And now here is my thoughts on how Sonic could be saved from the depths of video game hell -

Firstly, No Fucking Beastiality. Amy is indeed annoying, and the sonic team basically admitted that when they decided - 'You know, lets add a romance.'

'But Amy is annoying!'

'No, not with Amy! A human girl!'

Hell, even Tails and Sonic is more plausible.

Secondly - Add Sally Acorn if you're thinking of adding ANY romance in a sonic game.

Thirdly - Don't make Robotnick be a moron. He supposedly has '300 IQ!' so he should have reasons for his domination, and he definitely shouldn't send Sonic a letter saying

And finally. leave me in charge of Sonic Team. That'll ensure that sonic is saved.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
I think that nothing can save Sonic, and nothing should. The series was a success in the beginning, but it has clearly run its course, as pretty much everything relevant that the Sonic games can be have been exhausted. Rather than try new ideas that make bad games for the Sonic franchise, I think it is time to let Sonic die off peacefully, without contaminating the memory of the Sonic games with crappy material. Gary Larson quit in the middle of his career because he was out of ideas and didn't want to ruin his image. So, his cartoons are remembered as funny. If he had continued, then he would be remembered as funny early on, but later not so much. Same for Sonic. While there have already been some crap releases, Sonic can still die off without being forced down by a market not willing to support the franchise.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Drop the sidecast, stop thinking about the fanbase, have Sonic as the speeding fast, somewhat cocky but uktimately kind hero that he is, Drop all humans except for Robotnic. Maybe they should re-hire sonic team and get them to play games like, I dunno, tomb-raider, mirrors edge, assasins creed and a couple of racing games while doing cocaine. What follows would would probably be some of the most fast-paced, flowing and fun level design in history. Frankly I think they could make some more good sonic games, but that's the crux of the whole argument. Stop thinking of it as making a revival of Sonic, because in games, the ageing process can either be that of a fine wine (Getting better as the years go on while still retaining the original qualities) it can also be like the ageing effect for a glass of milk (The longer you leave it to stagnate, the more mould and maggots are gonna be swarming it). We all know that the sonic games haven't aged well, but they should go at it with an approach of being almost completely unconnected to the dark-ages of the franchise, that way they won't be trying so hard to please the retard fanbase of Sonic, that way it'll have no ties to the equally retarded and especially confusing and delapidated settings, stories and characters of the other, shittier sonic games.

Nov 21, 2009
Well they should rip out every character except Sonic, and just make it more like the original and focus on several finish strategies and keeping it fast paced.

Ryan-Phoenixan

Nov 9, 2009
Getting rid of the hub system in a game that's supposed to be fast-paced would be good for starters. That's what turned me off from Sonic Adventure, Unleashed, and, well, I need not mention Sonic 2006. Just get rid of the hub and put in a map or have no "in-between" bit at all. A game about speed doesn't need a hub in the mix to ruin the experience.

Yes, yes, Sonic Team. We get it. Mario did it with SM64. That doesn't mean everyone has to, because everyone already has.

A better control system would also be a major improvement. Sonic needs some kind of quick turn (triggers maybe) before you just make the character move at blazingly fast speeds at the twitch of an analog stick. Or maybe it should just be switched to third or first person shooter scheme similar to Mirror's Edge. That game did the running sections very well (though the gunning bits were bad (oh hey, second time mentioning that today)).