What characters have been RUINED by sequels? SPOILERS

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
-Ezio- said:
SmallHatLogan said:
I'd go with The Illusive Man going from well intentioned extremist in Mass Effect 2 to moustache twirling villain in Mass Effect 3.
that's what indoctrination does to you though. and i dont think he was ever that well intentioned.

in a weird way Artyom from metro. in 2033 i finished it as a good guy spared the dark ones. but then in last light he was a mass murderer regardless.
In case you were unaware, Metro is based on a book series, and the ending where you spare the dark ones doesn't happen in the books, so there's good reason for having killing them be the canon ending.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Samsont said:
-Ezio- said:
SmallHatLogan said:
I'd go with The Illusive Man going from well intentioned extremist in Mass Effect 2 to moustache twirling villain in Mass Effect 3.
that's what indoctrination does to you though. and i dont think he was ever that well intentioned.

in a weird way Artyom from metro. in 2033 i finished it as a good guy spared the dark ones. but then in last light he was a mass murderer regardless.
In case you were unaware, Metro is based on a book series, and the ending where you spare the dark ones doesn't happen in the books, so there's good reason for having killing them be the canon ending.
i am aware and actually own the books. but the second game doesnt follow the second book's story so there was no real need to keep first book's ending.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
ObserverStatus said:
Metroid Other M:

Adam Malkovich: After playing Metroid Fusion, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but wow, this guy is as boring as paint.
I agree. In Fusion, Adam is presented as this central figure in Samus's background and possibly a significant power in the Federation military.

I remember this one quote from Fusion that Adam (the computer) made: "Did this 'Adam' care for you? Would he sit in a safe command room and order you to die?" Um, yes, apparently, because he did exactly that several times throughout the course of Other M. Was that like supposed to be ironic or something?

Adam has also, in both Fusion and Other M, showed us that the Federation has a bit of a dark side. In Fusion, they're cloning Metroids in a laboratory on the BSL station to use as weapons. In Other M, they're trying to clone Mother Brain. Other M involves in its plot that genetic engineering for the creation of bioweapons is extremely illegal under Federation Law, yet the Federation appears to have no qualms engaging in such projects. Since biological computers have been in service in the Federation at least as far back as the events of Prime 3 (the Aurora Units, which were hinted in the fluff to have been created from Space Pirate technology and this is all but confirmed in Other M), it's made pretty clear that the Federation are not above dirty dealings.

There was some real potential for character development there. AAaaand they messed it all p.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
*Sees thread title* I'd have to say Ellie, from Dead Sp-

Wait. Dammit, ninja'd by the OP. You have got to be kidding me.

DS2 - she's a badass CEC pilot with a mean aim on a plasma cutter. DS3, she never even holds a weapon and lets Isaac do the piloting. I mean, really. She only seems to be in the plot for the sake of the love triangle - she gets neatly removed from things shortly after the triangle is done with.

DS3 was a co-op game. Why the heck wasn't Ellie playable? She's a far more interesting character than Carver. I mean, Carver's alright, but DS2 Ellie survived a Necromorph outbreak in a vest. (I didn't really like Carver in the main game, but Awakening made me warm up to him.)

DS4 (if and when it happens) had better bring back the Ellie that we know and love from DS2. And if you are going to do the co-op thing again (which could have used a bit more polish, but wasn't actually that bad), please let her be the partner.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
inu-kun said:
Daisy Fitzroy, the rebellion leader from Bioshock Infinate:
they retconned her in the DLC, so she was actually manipulated to have Elizabeth kill her, because god help us if we have a black leader who doesn't fit the Magical Negro trope and is *gasp* kind of a dick
Oh man I never played the DLC, really? Daisy's slow emergence as a murdering nutbar was my favorite part of the stock game, I found her way more scary and believable than evil-somehow-older me.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I'm gonna be a parrot and say Anders/Justice in Dragon Age 2. In Awakening, Anders was your roguish Mage sidekick. He had a ton of great lines in such a short game, plus Sir Pounce-a-Lot was invaluable. In DA2 he became this whiny, one note character who was always, ALWAYS spouting some,"Oh, woe is me, us mages who keep using blood magic and turning into demons are being locked up." I felt like screaming into his face that it was for the mages and everyone else's good. Hell, even the First Echanter Orsino, the leader of the circle turned into a Harvester. Not to say the Templars were any better. As for Justice, having him warped from a force of justice to a force of vengeance really just destroyed the character that helped me being down the Mother.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Slitzkin said:
Yuna. Religious pilgrim to pop-star princess. It did not feel very natural at all.
In X-2's defense it's explained well. The singer in the opening isn't her, and the singer at the concert midgame is the spirit of the Dresssphere. She's uncomfortable as hell doing it.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
-Ezio- said:
SmallHatLogan said:

That's because that's how the book ends (in case you didn't know, Metro 2033 is a Russian novel, and the games are made with a LOT of involvement from the author, as far as I've been able to find out). Edit because my post got eated apparently: Metro 2035 is a book planned to be released (I think it was released at the end of last year, actually, I'll have to check) that's going to go into more detail of parts of the plot of Last Light the author wasn't able to get into in the game, due to limitations of the medium.

OT: Pretty much all my picks have been said. To be fair to Anders, David Gaider has mentioned that had he continued to be in charge of Anders' character he would have made the transition a little more gradual so it made more sense, but it was always something that was a part of his character (if you look at his dialogue in Awakening, you can see hints of it here and there. He's always been very bitter, but he used to be more self-serving and just looking out for number one).

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
BarelyAudible said:
Mister K said:
Yuna from Final Fantasy X/X-2.

In X, she is a young lady with a bit meek personality, but with fire in her heart. She is calm, smart, pretty, strong-willed... Well, in short, my favorite lady in all of videogames.

Then X-2 happened and she became the super-happy-fun-fun-time-maho-shojo leader of super-happy-fun-fun-time-maho-shojo group.

God damnit.

EDIT: and her wardrobe went from japanese-style blouse and long skirt with simple black boots to top with purple leather short shorts. PURPLE LEATHER SHORT SHORTS PEOPLE! Screw you, whoever redesigned her.
debtcollector said:
nima55 said:
Homura From Madoka Magica. She went from indomitable badass, fighting for the girl she loves, to literally The devil. She chooses to turn evil for no reason instead of going to heaven. The people in charge couldn't make it clearer that they just didn't want the money train to stop.
Fact. Goddamn that was one of the worst plot twists I've ever seen, if only because it showed that the writers didn't give enough shits to understand their own characters.

OT: Somebody already mentioned Yuna, so....Lightning, from FFXIII? I mean, she was a fairly standard Stoic Badass Action Girl in her first game, and then in her unnecessary sequels, she becomes some sort of Valkyrie/Goddess/Messiah, and any explanation as to why is just handwaved with "The gods made her do it."
I wanna expand on that.

I assumed Lightning's generic stoic badassity was an act, something you're supposed to do when a tragic backstory shows up and you get all gruff and vengency.

Once she sees the same behavior from Hope, she goes "all crap" and tried to stop him from becoming a jackass. I'd like to think that kick starts her change too. The the sequels and spin-offs come around and run with the "super-badass" persona.

Same thing happened with Cloud, ignoring his character development arc to make him all moody and broody in everything except for the original game.
It is explained in FFXIII that her whole "emotionless Super-Soldier" routine is just a cover to be a strong influence for Sarah. At the end of 13-3

She breaks down in despair when her stoic self-sacrifice would leave her alone for all eternity, causing her to reunite with Lumina, signalling the end of "Lightning" and the return of Claire

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
RUINED is over dramatic to me. I've never had a character completely ruined just because of a single scene or movie/game installment. I guess I can look past the bad things easier than most. For example: I can still enjoy old Star Wars movies knowing the silly things about Darth Vader and how the force works. That said...

StarCraft:2: Heart of the Swarm RUINED the Zerg race for me.

I liked what little we learned about the zerg in the original StarCraft and the expanded information given to the player simply hurt the races mystique. It's a classic case of giving the player more information on something that should have remained secret. Again...the race isn't actually ruined. I can still play the zerg..I can still enjoy elements of the story...but my love for the zerg lore as I knew it has been tainted.

Please don't request specifics on what bothered me about the zerg because I honestly forget most of it. I'll replay the entire franchise again in prep for the Protoss expansion though.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
About the Reapers: You know, that's the reason I didn't understand people who expected Mass Effect 3's ending to involve any sense whatsoever. Mass Effect 1's writer made it impossible to solve The Reapers' mystery in any clever way. I mean, creatures that kill everything every 1524213 years just because? How could that possibly be resolved without any association with god?
You know what would have been the bold and smart thing to do? Just don't. Don't explain their reasoning. Leave it a mystery. If you set their motives up to be beyond human reasoning, don't try to use human reasoning to explain their motives. A huge deal of great villains have their motives at least partially left in the dark. Michal Meyers, Hannibal Lector, almost all the horrors of Lovecraft (which by the way the reaper reminded me of in the first two games).

PS: I know the hows and whys of Lector and Meyers have been explained in later movies, but its no coincidence that thoses are the movies that ruined the characters.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
jhoroz said:
Mikeyfell said:
Does "All of the characters in Mass Effect 3" count?

I'll go with Elizabeth. She was pretty screwed over by Burial at Sea part 2.
Let's take a super powerful demigod and make her completely helpless and at the Mercy of the bad guy from the first game! YEAH! Let's also take away all her cognitive ability and give her a voice in her head that tells her exactly what to do at every step of the way!

It was just all around a bad idea.
I finished Burial at Sea part 2 today and pretty much came here to say this. Not only did it butcher a character that I really started to warm up to, but the entire DLC retroactively ruins the story and world for both Bioshock AND Bioshock Infinite! The story was of fanfiction level of writing quality, with the contrived mechanisations that tied both Infinite and the first game, and basically resorted to reducing Booker and Elizabeth as plot devices in order to pander to people who wanted to see them in Rapture. My head canon has officially erased the entire thing from mind and have resorted in believing that Infinite is its own stand alone reality completely separate from the events of Rapture.

And the fact that this is supposed to be Levine's swan song for the final chapter of the franchise leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. The amount of pandering and lack of distinctive vision that made this series stand out was so glaringly obvious.
Thank you! I was pretty shocked after playing the DLC, since so many reviews had praised it for beings the perfect swan song for Infinite. What?! It completely ruined the finely crafted bittersweet ending of the main game (and really, that emotional weight was the best thing going for it) to appear oh so "smart" by tying the games together... For no real reason whatsoever. NOTHING was added to the overall story by tying the original Bioshock franchise and Infinite together.

NahNah

Sep 8, 2014
I was really disappointed by the direction the Prince of Persia trilogy took. Going with a darker Prince, and turning Farah into a sort of sexy, warrior chick. It was sad watching the great, well realized characters from the first game turns into gaming tropes

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
DaWaffledude said:
SmallHatLogan said:
He was the head of an organisation that committed immoral research in the name of space-racism. Please, explain to me how he was well-intentioned.

OT: Garrus Vakarian. In the first game, he thinks all the world's problems can be solved by shooting bad people. Paragon Shepard corrects him. In ME2, he's space-punisher and nobody objects.

I think the morphing of Garrus from a confused C-Sec officer trying to figure out to be a vigilante or law abiding officer to a complete renegade whom follows his own code was a re-boot of his character to fit the premiss of ME2 in that, the universal powers at large didn't believe Shepard which in turn, makes Shepard become the fringe himself, going about on his own with the help of Cerberus to find answers. Shepard is basically forced into renegade status and the more he meets certain people whom were either real good friends or a lover, and they keep telling him to go to hell, basically presses the IDGAF switch....and Garrus had already done so once Shepard's influence was gone.

I didn't like it either but for debate sake, ME2 was a complete do over from ME1. In the decisions that Drew Karpyshyn from the leadership of Casey Hudson had done, in a sense, what was started in ME1 was completely erased from character love interests to old friendships with an entirely new ship, new crew, new identity, and a new purpose. When that was done, they inadvertently could do anything they wanted with the original character set.

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
As to ruined characters...

Miranda Lawson - She was cold and calculating... but by ME3, she was sort of scared, out numbered, and nearly a victim waiting to happen in which it seems she had lost all of her control and was a shell of her former self.

Ashly Williams - Not only did she have Shepard's back but was a pretty reliable asset... in ME2 and also in 3, you really just wanted to shove her out of an air lock or accidentally have a friendly fire incident in the field. She flat out tells you you are a traitor after saving her, she then treats you like a Batarian POW when its quite obvious as to what side you are on after being incarcerated.

I'll agree with everyone's interpretation of Anders, they made his character too Chaotic-Neutral ( to take an old school D and D class). There was nothing funny about him and you always knew he was a loose cannon. Plus --- where the hell is the cat Sir Pounce-a-Lot or his next of kin ( because you figure he died by then).

This isn't a sequel but who else was turned off by the Hacker chick in Watch Dogs? You want to talk about a missed writing opportunity to give Aiden Pearce some glimpse of dramatic presence.

Hezz

Dec 17, 2011
Sir Shockwave said:
ObserverStatus said:
The Overmind: I seriously hope that Tassadar was lying when he said that The Overmind was just misunderstood. Before StarCraft II, we were to understand that he was originally a tool of the Xel Naga until he grew tired of taking their orders and freed himself. Now we're to understand that he was a victim all along. Lame.
Of all the ones mentioned, The Overmind is clearly the biggest kicker here. This is a retcon of monumental proportions, as not once in the original Starcraft did The Overmind ever express any remorse or grief over his actions. Honestly, I'd probably put most of the Starcraft II cast on this list, since at least half the time they seem to be holding the Idiot Ball.

"Tychus is stuck in a walking deathtrap you say? Let's not check to see if we can take it off of him! He always was kind of an ass."
Personally I was always under the impression that the Overmind always was an evil dick and always will be an evil dick, it's just that now we learn that he was an evil dick with a master, and he wanted to be freed so that he could be an evil dick with no master.

Bergthor86

Dec 6, 2013
There are many choices I agree with here, especially Anders in DA2.

The one that annoys me the most, however, is Legion in ME3. In ME2 it made perfectly clear that the difference between the geth and the heretics was that the heretics accepted the reapers' future while the geth wanted to build their own, even going so far as to acknowledging that Shepard is more similar to them than it had thought if Shepard destroys the collector base. Yet in ME3 they suddenly go with the reaper upgrades anyway. Okay, their collective intelligence was decreased and they fought for survival, but to just turn on such a fundamental ideal felt off.

Also, the whole individuality thing. The geth are perfectly happy with being a collective intelligence, that is their preferred way of existence. This is even acknowledged in ME3 with the sphere they were building around their star to house all geth so that all geth could be together and be entirely connected in one huge collective consciousness. But when they get their reaper upgrades they suddenly go all "Wee, individuality, hooray, now we're really alive". They already were alive. That they were totally different from humans did not make them less alive.

I still really like ME3, but things like this make it very difficult to do so sometimes.