What could replace War?

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
0over0 said:
The alternative to war has always been sex.

Or, rather, reproduction. Typically life on earth competes by outreproducing its competitors--its no different for cultures (not necessarily nations, but cultures--some nations contain more than one). War is just a slight hiccup in the process--in the end, history is written by those whose ancestors reproduced the most.

So...why are you reading? Go do your duty!
It works great for bonobos!

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
Since people seem to favor games so highly here (big surprise):

1)Here's a card game that only adults can (legally) play: Strip Poker...to the death!

2)Staring contest-- whoever blinks first loses (their eyes, their land, whatever). The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance. Besides, as a wiseguy once said "Real Players Don't Blink!"

3)Rolling dice, be they 6-sided or 20-sided, leaving victory or defeat entirely in Lady Luck's hands.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
AkJay said:
Technically, the Nuclear Bomb ended war. with it's creation and first time use, people were scared shitless. Sure, we've had conflicts in the past (Vietnam, Korea) but nothing that would classify as a full-scale war. So now instead of fighting, we created the UN to talk things out.
Congress has declared war on several nations since then, and other countries go to war with each other all the time. In addition, the UN doesn't have enough authority to do anything.

OT:

To end war, we must all join together in economic and civil cooperation as a single world society, rather than competing as nations.

Invaderbrim

Nov 9, 2009
Anyone ever read the book Epic? The solution in it was a good one.

Other then that I would have to agree with what a few other people have said, if all the worlds powers have nukes then noone will really want to nuke the other because if they do the only one that would win a global nuclear war would be satan.

And Chuck Norris of course.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
mrbones228 said:
There will always be war.

war is always won by the guy with the bigest stick and if you have a nuke you have a tree.
Have you tried swinging a tree lately? Those things are really unwieldy.

Welcome to the escapist, good idea to check out the forum rules (not that you broken any of them) to help make your stay an enjoyable one

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Replace it with genocide...

Wouldn't need to worry about all those pesky human rights violations...

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Terminalchaos said:
dietpeachsnapple said:
A constitutional requirement that anyone who votes for a country to GO to war, has to fight on the front lines.
Agreed. If they're too old then their eligible kin must go. It's only fair.

As far as replacements for war I think space exploration and colonization with the understanding that conflicting societies could simply go different directions. Expect speciation to occur.
Space isn't big enough to hold the human ego. Conflict would arise over what constituted a "direction," etc.

Kin is a decent substitute, but I have always preferred that they must send a child of their own in the case that they ask citizens to send their sons and daughters.

CouchCommando

Apr 24, 2008
Top Fuel Dragsters, that way you could still die in a fiery inferno for your convictions!!! woot martyrdom FTW!!!

FluffyNeurosis

Oct 22, 2009
I vote we stop pussy footing around and fight wars like General Sherman. The idea being to make war so terrible that nobody wants to fight another one AND TO BURN ATLANTA!! Also having soccer matches wouldn?t work because it?s boring as all hell and I would start a war myself to avoid sitting through a match.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
Grievous Bodily Harm.

My eternal respect and friendship to the one(s) who gets that one.