What country's armed forces would you feel most comfortable fighting and killing in a video game?

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
It really have no qualms about fighting any particular fictitious army, but I'd certainly take a greater amount of glee in mowing down forces of regimes that are widely acknowledged as having been some degree of evil: Nazis, Khmer Rouge, North Korea under the Kims, Stalinist Russia (although mostly only their 'elite' soldiers - I feel pity more than anything else for the poor conscripted grunts), the early 20th century Japanese Empire, etc.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Americans (also one myself), because I'm sick of playing as them in nearly every major FPS out there. I want to see my country on the receiving end again other than in Homefront or Red Alert 2.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
The red menace. I'd rather be dead then red. When the crimson hordes come pouring over the border, we'll be ready. That's right Canada, we know.

Silvershock

Jul 12, 2013
So long as the storyline gives what you're doing context, does it matter? I didn't mind killing Americans in The Line, I didn't mind killing Koreans in Homefront, and I didn't mind killing fellow Brits in Resistance because fuck my homeland. ;-) So long as there's a narrative justification for what you're doing that rises above "we don't like this country so murder them all", games can (and do) explore any possibility.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
FirstNameLastName said:
Oh, and I'm calling it now; if it does turn into a flame war, it will be from someone insulting America's war on terror.

Let the nationalistic rage begin ...
Borat: We support your war of terror!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I'd probably be most satisfied with a country where the military is actively trying to take over or resume control for selfish reasons. I know I've read about one or two in the Economist, where the people want democracy but the country's military doesn't want to surrender its privileges and is using underhanded tactics to prevent a fair election from happening. If only I could remember which countries they were.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Bizzaro Stormy said:
Beware the growing threat of Luxembourg!
Yes those rich asshats should get back with us if they know what is good for them.

Also if there are any French and Germans around, how do you feel about dividing Belgium among the three of us? Than we can make lots of games and movies about that war.

Oct 22, 2011
FirstNameLastName said:
I feel we are sitting on a pile of explosives here. "Which country's military would you feel most comfortable killing" is only a few steps away from "which country do you hate the most" or "which country has the worst foreign policy".
Yep, we already got some edgier-than-thou guy talking about ethnic cleansing.
I could understand this, if we were talking about good ol' times and dudes riding en masse on horses and shooting at you, or other dudes employing war elephants. But nowadays, they all are kinda similar, except one are better equipped than others.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Elfgore said:
Canadians. Those northern bastards have had it easy for to long. Time for some hardships. Just imagining all the "eh"s and "sorry"s is making me want to play it.[footnote]The Escapist takes nearly everything literally, better put a disclaimer. This is a joke.[/footnote]
You know, i live like 2 miles away from Canada, and for the life of me i will never understand where this stereotype comes from. I mean, they are not arses, but they are not unusually nice or say sorry an unusual amount of time either. It would be unusual if you used say...NYC or Philadelphia as a baseline.

onto the topic at hand: Zombie nazi.....pirates.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Glaice said:
Americans (also one myself), because I'm sick of playing as them in nearly every major FPS out there. I want to see my country on the receiving end again other than in Homefront or Red Alert 2.
CoD modern warfare 2 and 3
Bad company 1 and 2
red alert 3
Crysis 2
Prototype

The US gets beat up more than any other country in games with the exception of maybe WW2 Germany. How many times has NYC been destroyed? Even the middle east cant compare.

Sep 14, 2009
Honestly, any country I would feel "most comfortable" with, as long as there is some tangible reason, I don't give a flying fuck.

(by all means, fighting pixelated americans wouldn't phase me in the slightest, but unless there is some decent story/reason there, I'll just put the game down out of boredom.)

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
Video games require me to get to certain places in order to continue the story. Most games I play have enemies that try to hinder my attempts to get to these certain places. These enemies are obstacles and I usually have the tools to get around/through them. It doesn't matter what flag is being virtually represented, those enemies are obstacles and will be destroyed either way.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I've had to buy a couple of red grapefruits imported from Israel. No doubt about it - that means war.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Ryotknife said:
Elfgore said:
Canadians. Those northern bastards have had it easy for to long. Time for some hardships. Just imagining all the "eh"s and "sorry"s is making me want to play it.
You know, i live like 2 miles away from Canada, and for the life of me i will never understand where this stereotype comes from. I mean, they are not arses, but they are not unusually nice or say sorry an unusual amount of time either. It would be unusual if you used say...NYC or Philadelphia as a baseline.

onto the topic at hand: Zombie nazi.....pirates.
Whether we say "sorry" too much kind of depends on who you talk to. I use sorry as a way of being polite as well as to express sincere regret, like saying "Sorry about that" if I'm in someone's way and apparently I'm not the only one. It confused the hell out of my friend from Connecticut until I explained it.

I imagine this is something that quite a few people in the US do as well so, like you mentioned, it could be partially dependent on the region.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
It doesn't really matter what country the enemy team (or my team for that matter) is on. That said, I'd love to fight more ambush-happy tree/bush dwelling guerrilla warfare type enemies in games so I guess Vietnam could use a bit more attention from game devs.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Greece?

I've nothing against the Greeks, but look at them:

Honestly I could play a game in which I mowed down endless hordes of these Funny Walking (Ministry of) Fancy Pants all day long and never even begin to feel uncomfortable, except maybe in my sides if they also made clown noises when they ragdolled.

On a more serious note (as I'm aware Greek soldiers don't wear dresses and tights and pom-pom shoes all the time), it would be funny to create a gratuitously brutal and completely morally bankrupt military shooter in which all the combatants wore ceremonial dress uniforms.

It would be interesting to see what effect the comically ridiculous and unsuitable attire would have on the brutality of the game. It would also be funny to see which ceremonial dresses were considered cheap or OP, e.g. would the British Bearskin hats interfere with the hit-boxes for headshots?

To take a stab at the original question, I would probably feel most comfortable killing any enemy which I felt was morally justified to kill, so nationality doesn't matter as much as the fact they're established as bad guys by the game or if my actions are justified and they're valid enemy combatants, for example I've never felt uncomfortable or had any problems killing Germans or Japanese in WW2 games, or American cops, agents and soldiers in any of the Grand Theft Auto games... or my own countrymen and law enforces in The Getaway... although accidentally running over British pedestrians did make me flinch and I strove to avoid that, familiarity with my accidental innocent victims did make reckless driving in that game more uncomfortable.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
Zhukov said:
The USA.

Like, say, a game where you play as the Vietcong? I'd be all over that shit.

Tired of military games where you're justing stomping on the underdog. No such qualms here!
BF: Vietnam; get you a couple buddies in vent, boat to the backfield with commando units and blow up the radar and aircraft.
Hilarity ensues.

TinnedPsycho

Mar 14, 2015
America F*** Yeah! I would love to play a FPS as the ill-equiped rebel force fighting against the the much better equipped US invaders. I'd want it mostly for the media reactions.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
The chinese in a game set in 2030/2040 when they've caught up technologically to the US and are having or on the verge of an economic collapse would be pretty sweet if you were playing as someone from, say, myanmar. It's stupid for settings to place china against the US, but an invasion of myanmar/laos/thailand/vietnam/etc at least seems plausible.