What Defines the Games of Suda 51 and Swery65

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
What Defines the Games of Suda 51 and Swery65

Yahtzee dissects the games of Suda 51 and Swery65, such as Killer 7 and Deadly Premonition to discuss storytelling tropes and "cult appeal."

Read Full Article

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I always liked Deadly Premonition, even when I didn't. I think the keyword is pleasant, cause when it isn't bad, it is a very pleasant game. Talking with the villagers, eating dinner with the police, fishing, and the music. It is all just kinda...

I dunno. Nice.

Seriously! Listen to that god damn earbug. It'll never let you escape!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
While I see the point of Suda's not always getting a golden egg, I admit I like his way of doing things.

No game from Suda disappointed me, but I admit having problems getting hooked to Killer is Dead.

Still, Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw and No More Heroes and NMH 2 are excellent games for their own reasons.

But I hardly believe today Suda can Top Killer 7-

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
no mentioning of Yoko Taro, huh ?
"cringes teeth until blood starts flowing out of gum"
seriously Yatzhee!!!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Killer 7 is like a ghost of Extra Punctuation, begging to be stripped of the punctuation stinking up its life.

As for the subject, I will note that, but I think I'd rather just collect Suda 51's older games instead.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I always took "cult classic" to just be another way of saying "good but niche game", myself; something that's really interesting for what it is and gets a lot of attention from the denizens of the internet, but was never actually much of a financial success. Insofar as the way most AAA publishers deem "failures" or "successes" at least.

After all, I don't think there's one single unified "cult" group that all of these games like Killer7, Deadly Premonition, Psychonauts, Beyond Good & Evil, etc. would uniformly appeal to.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I always used cult appeal when describing things that initially weren't greatly received, but who gain a smallish, but dedicated fanbase. See: Psychonauts, Donny Darko, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, etc.

I had more fun with Killer 7, but I was at an age where the pacing and ridiculous visuals were more to my style.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Perhaps he could even absorb Suda 51's power and be upgraded to Swery116"
Okay, that is a great joke that made me LOL. Thanks again!!!

Clunks

Apr 21, 2010
Cult isn't a genre, Yahtzee, it describes anything that has picked up a small but sincere fanbase. Games like Deadly Premonition and Killer 7 attract that kind of audience because they're odd, off-putting, polarising experiences. The comparitively normal Beyond Good & Evil, by contrast, attained cult status because it wasn't widely played but those who did play it found it to be much better than expected.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Why is the "You need a flowchart on your second playthrough" remark used as a positive for Killer7... and a negative for Bayonetta? Nostalgia?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Does he actually go by Swery65? I know that comes up as the name of a bar in both of his games, but in the credits he's just listed as "SWERY". Suda 51 is so nicknamed because "go ichi" is also Japanese for "five one"; I have no idea where Swery got his nickname from or why he sometimes tacks a number onto it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
Does he actually go by Swery65? I know that comes up as the name of a bar in both of his games, but in the credits he's just listed as "SWERY". Suda 51 is so nicknamed because "go ichi" is also Japanese for "five one"; I have no idea where Swery got his nickname from or why he sometimes tacks a number onto it.
Sounds like he's just crimping Suda51's style and not getting the full package of what makes his work, well, work. Like what happened to comic books in the 90's after Watchmen.

OT: I like Suda51's games because of the sheer audacity of their premises, and Suda51's confidence in his own vision, no matter how mad they may look. He puts a lot of time and effort to make the QUIRCKY stick. It sounds like Yahtzee is done with claiming Suda51 is a clone or product of a genetic engineering experiment.

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
I agree with Yahtzee that Killer7 is more coherent, but there's something about Deadly Premonition that I really enjoyed. I think it's that the game is very disjointed, all angles and elbows. killer7 is a hell of a trip, but it just doesn't click for me as well.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
To be fair, Killer 7 likely had a bit more budget behind it than Deadly Premonition. Spy Fiction, Swery's previous game before DP, may not be an amazing game but from a technical standpoint was on par with games of the time.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I am not into Sweary or Suda's work, but I just love that they exist.
At this point of the industry, they are the closest we get to maniacs running the asylum (with some budget).

Sledgimus

Aug 15, 2008
Really not sure what the point of this article was, because:
Clunks said:
Cult isn't a genre, Yahtzee, it describes anything that has picked up a small but sincere fanbase.
This doesn't seem like a difficult concept. It also doesn't even mean the game (film/book/whatever) had to be good, just that there's a small group of people who really like it. The whole article really just seems to be Yahtzee complaining that something he really likes has been put in the same group as something he doesn't like, which seems to me like complaining that apples and grapefruit are both called "fruit" when I like apples but not grapefruit.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
LarsInCharge said:
Why is the "You need a flowchart on your second playthrough" remark used as a positive for Killer7... and a negative for Bayonetta? Nostalgia?
If we are to put on our tin foil hats for a moment: He played the PS3 version and couldn't care less about the story in a game he wasn't keen on replaying.

In all seriousness we could just say it's "teh bias" seeing as he didn't like Bayonetta but did like Killer 7 the first time.

Mosesj

Sep 19, 2010
Roofstone said:
I always liked Deadly Premonition, even when I didn't. I think the keyword is pleasant, cause when it isn't bad, it is a very pleasant game. Talking with the villagers, eating dinner with the police, fishing, and the music. It is all just kinda...
Yeah, I think that's what makes Deadly premonition really stand out for me. Despite the characters' eccentric nature and dialogue, you start to like them. It's something games don't usually take the time to do, show characters becoming friends and interacting with each other outside of a short cutscene before battle.

piplink

Mar 11, 2011
Mosesj said:
Roofstone said:
Yeah, I think that's what makes Deadly premonition really stand out for me. Despite the characters' eccentric nature and dialogue, you start to like them. It's something games don't usually take the time to do, show characters becoming friends and interacting with each other outside of a short cutscene before battle.
This, when some of the characters died i actually cried.