What Do Americans Think of This Bloke

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
I don't find him funny at all...then again I'm not really a fan of standup unless the humor is dry, even then I don't like it.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
I think he's fantastic, and this is the first I've heard of him. Though, I didn't watch your video, I went straight to the "vs. America" clip. Every country should be able to be taken down a peg or two. America even more so, we're a fucked up bunch.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I'm as English as they get, and I don't find him funny. He appeals to the famous 'white van man.'

A stereotype that is sexist, racist, and drives like an arse, eats kebabs whenever he can, and goes down the local boozer every night with his 'insert football team here' friends. It's a quite wide audience in England.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
I'm not sure why this question is directed at Americans, but I'm sure there is some kind of hatred behind it seeing as how I have became accustomed to it here at the anti-american/kkk/nazi camp for Brits, and Americans that are to stupid to know their the ones being mad fun of.

Nevertheless I'll give my fat stupid American opinion and say no he's not funny to me, but then I although born in American am what some call an "individual" and so my tastes may not be the tastes of my countrymen. I'm sure the Brits aren't one big homogeneous tea pissing blob, it would be nice if you would think of us in the same light.

of course if by chance your not asking this question with ill intention please forgive my above comment. either way I wont be "getting off the internet."

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I think he's a decent comedian, but he's not my type of comedian. I find him too brash and cocky. I can appreciate others would like him, but me not so much. But, each to their own hey?

Anyhow, this gives me a chance to show off some of my favourite British (and Irish) stand-up comedians.

Bill Bailey, he's on excellent form in this clip:

Rowan Atkinson, less well known for his stand up.

Eddie Izzard

(Minor pedantic note-The druids didn't build Stonehenge, Stonehenge pre-dates the Celts by many centuries).

Dara O'Brien

Jzcaesar

Mar 29, 2011
I'm American. And religious. And chuckled a lot at this bit. What can I say, I found it funny.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
As much as i like Al, here is some much, MUCH better examples of British comedy. OK first one is not British but it's a British style of humor.

PS a few are NSFW, note, the Brasseye one is VERY NSFW

And more...

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Warforger said:
Jamie Joberns said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9q113rIwVo Kind of curious what Americans think of other Countries humour.
Wait what? And British people HONESTLY think their humor is better? This is the same crap I see everyday on Comedy Central standups except WORSE (some are as bad as him anyway). He's a generic comedian who can be replaced within a minute of death.
That guy is pretty bad, I have to agree with Warforger here. I don't have any particular preference for comedy styles, there are some great British comedians out there just as there are American but that guy should not be representing any country because he is awful imo.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
I'm British.
I don't like the Pub Landlord character, but I think that Al Murray is a very funny guy.
The real problem though is that so much of his audience has come to see him not realising that it's a character and enjoying it in an entirely non-ironic way.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Jamie Joberns said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9q113rIwVo Kind of curious what Americans think of other Countries humour.
Meh. Dara O'Brien is funnier.

Jaffinnegan

Mar 30, 2011
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Togs said:
Jamie Joberns said:
Whilst Im not an American I find Al Murray to be an obnoxious, untalented hack- a Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson for the modern age.
Difference is Al Murray's 'Pub Landlord' persona is a parody of that stereotype. It doesn't actually represent his own views on nationality and patriotism. Bernard Manning was just a racist.
I think you'll find that Burnard Manning was one of the Funniest Comedians Ever, and wasn't really Racist at all, just used some Racists terms (Like Packy), but didnt actuallly have anything against them. In one Standup Show, he jokes with a Black man in the audiance about Linching him, and the Black guy was laughing his head-off.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Jamie Joberns said:
i chuckled a few times and was entertained, i dont think i would pay to see him though

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Amphoteric said:
I fucking HATE Al Murray so much.

I'm English by the way.

Dara O Briain is the best commedian from the British Isles at the moment for me.
Dara is Irish not British :p

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
Personally I like Jimmy Car and John Oliver as a stand up comedian over this guy. Maybe I like my brits snobby... and you can't really do snobby with a cockney accent.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Did you have to use this guy?
I'm British and i find him really quite obnoxious and annoying, a better example would have been Mitchell and Webb or Russell Howard.

Sep 14, 2009
american, christian in fact, and i found it pretty funny.

personally to me, it doesn't matter what religion/nation/race anyone is, if it's funny, it's funny

I enjoy most humor, from fart jokes to the jokes told between astro physicists on a slow saturday afternoon.

so yeah, i dont know why your asking americans specifically..

but i thought he was pretty good, i laugh at most stuff though so i don't know how amazing my opinion is.