What do consider to be acceptable pricing for DLC?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
pulse2 said:
Now for some of you this is entirely down to how much you enjoy the game and want the DLC (despite how much cash you may have), but for others there is a sweet spot that would make us buy any DLC for a game we own and there is a point where we would rather not spend that much.

So what do you consider to be too expensive or perfect for DLC? And are there games you would be willing to spend more for DLC?

For me CoD's pricing for DLC is alarming, as much as I love the game and all, I can't bring myself to pay that much for extras when a new game has been or likely WILL be announced in the series, I can't trade in that content nor can I sell it or give it away to another gamer, just thinking of the several games I could buy with that cash is a big no no. For something that is only as useful for one game, I'm turned off by it, but Homefront maps, Killzone maps etc were peach perfect price points for me. But I understand that for some people its fine once they are getting what they want which is okay by me as long as I don't get forced into doing the same by being restricted from playing with my friends all-together, all that does is deter me on to other games.
Map packs: $0
In game items: Unlock with premium shortcut ($1 per item)

Expansion packs: $15

And I mean serious expansion packs, like whole new levels with expansion of the canon, new enemies, weapons and TYPE of environment.

Maps packs MUST NOT be charged for and should be rolled out universally. Do not divide your user base especially with many different map packs you can have a situation where as little as 10% all have the same maps.

If you must charge for maps, charge for them at the server-level. So you won't have the situation of people on a server with rolling maps then half your users disconnecting because they didn't happen to play for that particular map pack.

So if the server hasn't paid for that map pack then at least joining one server you are all on the same page.

Belgian_Waffles

Jan 24, 2010
Maps really should be free, but people buy them so they never will be.
I feel DLC that significantly adds to the game (extensive voice work, new models, new weapons, a new idea or two, ETC.) is definitely worth ten bucks.

EX: Project Overlord (ME2) Worth 10 dollars
Undead nightmare: (RDR) Is worth way more than Rockstar priced it.

Not Worth it:
Call of Duty map packs. Fuck off Activision

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
If games cut content for DLC, then the game's retail price should be however much cash reduced in the store and the DLC be discounted.

Otherwise the DLC is to be free.

Daxter343

Dec 9, 2009
Trezu said:
i rekon $5 to $10

not 20 for 5 maps Call of duty
This is especially true for X-box players, where a year's worth of Gold Membership costs $50 (or is it $60 now?). Seriously, you don't charge a person for medical services and then break his legs to get more. That's just criminal

On the other hand, things like Fallout New Vegas's Dead Money DLC, which costs approximately $10 right now, are perfectly reasonable. It's new, it's more or less self-contained, and completely optional.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Depends entirely on the content. If the new content took as much time to create as original game then the price of the original game is okay. Horse armour ain't worth spit though.

dark-mortality

Apr 7, 2011
It totally depends. If the DLC gives away items, then I will say 1-3 euro.

If it is Levels/Stages/Maps/Whatever, I would say 5-15 euro depending of the lenght and amount of work done. If the DLC is of epic lenght and gives you an additional 5-hours minimum gameplay, AND the work done is great, both enviromental and characterwise, then I would have given 15, MAYBE 20 at max if I loved the game...

I would rather like it to be free though :D

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
In my opinion DLC should not exist, everything that a developper wants in a game, should be in the game on release, and the time used to make DLC ( no matter how little time it takes to make a DLC ) should be spent on making a new game. Ultimately if a game has DLC it should be free . I never ever buy DLC , i am strongly against DLC in any form , way or manner, unless it'S free ( which isn't often )i rather buy a new game.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Content time played in relation to base game playthrough time as a function of base game price.

DLC time/base game playthrough time X Base game price

EX: 10/50 X 59.99 = 11.99

Veroxx

Jul 25, 2011
Honestly, I believe COD style maps shouldn't be more than £1 each, maybe £10 if it was a big open world type map but seriously the amount of effort that went into the maps just doesn't justify £15 but then again the pricing for SOME GAMES [http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Shooter/First-Person/~r355002/Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-3/?mid=355002&cm_mmc=BigMouth-_-PlayStation_3-_-Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_3-_-link] is going to be so ridiculously high anyway, I wouldn't pay £55 for a game even if it was the best game ever made by anyone, especially when it is almost the exact same game.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
$0.00

Gimme the full and complete game. That's the way to do it. I'm aware that this is not as easy, but there are those who accuse DLCs of being laziness to cover up for throwing out essentially a game unfinished. I am not certain who is right. I am saying have a little faith in your product and TRY to make me a happy customer.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
DLC with medium sized content should never go above $10. When the Shivering Isles came out for Oblivion, it cost $30, but it was excusable considering that it was closer to an old time expansion pack instead of a modern DLC package.

Ensemble Studios, or whoever was responsible, made an awful mistake with its Halo Wars DLC. 4 new gametypes for a console RTS for $10? That thing should have been free. Then they barely gave a glance to adding new maps, charging another $10 for the only pack they released, and the production cost for each individual map was probably inexpensive.

But back to the 1st line, multiplayer map packs should never exceed $10. I'm looking at you MW2.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Just make expansion pack size DLCs ranging from 10$-15$ no more nickel and dime 1 item DLCs.

ScorpSt

Mar 18, 2010
Items should cost between $1-3. Additional Story: $5-7. Large, expansion style content: $10-15. Day 1 DLC should be free with purchase of a new game unless it's for Limited/Collector's edition or Pre-order DLC, and pre-order DLC should at least be purchasable.

I don't typically play online FPSs, but charging $15 for a map pack sounds ridiculous. Things like that should cost, at most, $1 per map.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
I dont mind how much you charge if it's the same as america our aussie dollar is doing better than the american and yet they still charge us more for MSP and things on the PSN
i.e. Fallout new vegas:Old world blues $10 in US $16.50 In Aus

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Stall said:
Depends on what it is and how much one likes the game. For little skin packs and weapons, I think 1-5 dollars is nice, and for new content, 10 - 20 is reasonable. I think it all comes down to how much you like the game, and are willing to spend on it. If you really love the game, then 15 bucks isn't a big deal. If you don't care for the game, then odds say you wouldn't even bother with the DLC even if it was 5 dollars.

On that note, I think the COD DLC is priced quite reasonably. If you like COD enough, then you will easily get more than enough entertainment to justify the map pack. Just because you don't like COD doesn't mean someone else doesn't think the maps aren't worth it. I am more than willing to bet that you'd happily fork over 15 bucks for some DLC of a game you were very fond of. That's what DLC pricing ultimately comes down to: how much people like the game.
But that's the point I was making, I'm fine with how others spend their money, not telling anyone how or why they should, but for ME, CoD maps or any other form of DLC costing £10 to £15 is plain ridiculous. Yeah, I get that its business, etc, and I don't mind forking over the cash for some maps for a game I like, but £10 - £15 isn't just forking over cash to me, thats wasting money, I might as well give that cash to a poor man to scrub up and buy himself a KFC and still feel better about myself, not to mention that's money that could go towards Uncharted 3 or Skyrim, or heck Modern Warfare 3 even.

I can understand a full expansion pack, in the same vain as Diablo 2's or Fallout's (although I tend to wait until they are all together rather then buying them seperately like a muppet), but a few maps and guns? Seriously? You want me to spend £15 on a few maps and guns? Better start getting me drunk then. At least I can play the expansions when I want to, map packs are limited to internet connection, the server still being up and all the other annoying tid bits -_-

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Depends

Just Cause 2 sold silly OP automobile,planes,and boats for $1 which wasnt so bad.

Fallout 3 + New Vegas sold it for $10 but most of it was new stuff to addon to the game so I felt justified for paying for it.

Anything >$15 that is just maps isnt anything worth it... However much Shivering Isles when it was released was well worth it tho for the awesomeness it added

Dragon Age : Origins was well worth it on some of its DLC, I am glad I was able to get Stone Prisoner for free as $15 was a lil to much for that....

So....Free - $10 in my book