What do Skyrim, MLP, MW3, COD and Saints Row the 3rd have in Common?

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Augmata said:
Coldster said:
So....you're mad because pieces of media that are popular have lots of posts and topics about it? Gee, I wonder why. Get over it man, Skyrim is a very well received game here on The Escapist. Besides, Skyrim comes out very soon (I forget, maybe tomorrow or Friday?), MW3 JUST came out, and Battlefield 3 is still very new as well. Its currently being discussed because its new material there is much new information constantly coming out about each of them. MLP is a bit of a different case, so I'll just say that if you don't like it or aren't interested in it should just ignore the pony threads and just stay out of them. That's an easy-to-follow solution right? Ok then. My job here is done.
As a brony, I agree with Brian Hendershot.

It's one thing to love the show, but an altogether different thing to trivialise it by constantly spouting related memes. It annoys others and ultimately hurts the show.
Ah, I see your viewpoint. However, the show and the fandom itself is very much different. Since the brony fandom originated from the hell of the internet: 4chan, is was obvious that it was going to become a very internet based fandom. That is why there are a ton of memes and art, etc etc.

As said before, they can just ignore it, just like Brian said himself. I will point out that he said he is annoyed just by seeing pony avatars. That is stupid. I never get even the slightest bit angry at any of the avatar's I've seen here. Hell, the pony avatars is what got me interested in the show anyways. His argument has a good overall opinion, but he also states that he doesn't like when people reply to haters, which is an odd thing to say. It would be like if you were being sued and someone kept giving their own arguments but the defense never said anything back, it just defies logic.

One more thing...WHY HAS MLP TAKEN OVER THE LARGE MAJORITY OF THIS THREAD!? It's only one out of five topics stated above! C'mon, that is plain stupid and silly. >=(

EDIT: Fixed your name Brian! Sorry!

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Augmata said:
[...]
It's one thing to love the show, but an altogether different thing to trivialise it by constantly spouting related memes. It annoys others and ultimately hurts the show.
Yes, but the same goes for those over-hyped tripple A titles. Yet they pervade the forum relentlessly (not as relentless as MLP, but still).

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, SKYRIM!!!

Blarrrghhhhhh!!!

mrwoo6

Feb 24, 2009
These "Popular things are getting posted a lot, and I dislike that" are themselves over-posted threads that really don't ever achieve anything bar pointless arguments.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
The Lugz said:
it's actually quite fascinating to watch society from a logical perspective if you can stand back a bit
i suggest you try it sometime
I do this quite often and it's rather scary.
fun, though isn't it!

as regards to my other comment, i don't believe there is any other way to put it succinctly but i can try

people, cannot perceive absolute truths they are bound by their physiological limits they can only ever see a point of view

however seeing enough positive and negative points of view can narrow your point of view down to what could be termed 'the truth' similar to how you use trial and error to narrow down a mathematical problem by changing the input of a problem until it has the result you're looking for

instead of doing this by scientific approach, i think society does this kind of 'rounding' for allot of things, such as 'what is the better operating system'
people always seem to pick a side and churn out all the things they see, feel and want and like
thus the biological factor

now, you can observe this and boil down a long list of everything people have sampled for you
into bullet points
+ this - that ect
until you see the overall point of view that you could call average, then compare it to what you have, own, want, think, or feel

and if that doesn't clear it up, nothing will
i'm also kinda tired, and on a caffeine high so that wont help either.
also i think i failed at being succinct ^^

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
mrwoo6 said:
These "Popular things are getting posted a lot, and I dislike that" are themselves over-posted threads that really don't ever achieve anything bar pointless arguments.
Indeed. People need to learn to just ignore the things they don't like.

And now I claim this thread in the name of Kim Possible:

mrwoo6

Feb 24, 2009
JediMB said:
mrwoo6 said:
Indeed. People need to learn to just ignore the things they don't like.

And now I claim this thread in the name of Kim Possible:

Take note, OP, as I don't like Kim possible yet don't mind that hes posted it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrDeckard said:
My first answer to the title: "We all need to shut the fuck up about them"

Except for Saints Row. I haven't seen many threads on that to be honest...
Because we don't take it into every goddamn thread like Bronies. :p

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
MrDeckard said:
My first answer to the title: "We all need to shut the fuck up about them"

Except for Saints Row. I haven't seen many threads on that to be honest...
Because we don't take it into every goddamn thread like Bronies. :p
Well we probably need to wait until the game launch day, then Saints Row 3 Thread-Hell Armageddon will break loose.

Aaaah man! Look at this, it's 11.11.11 and almost all threads are filled with Skyrim blablablabla stuff.

I really start to feel bad for preordering it... *Blech*

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
Well we probably need to wait until the game launch day, then Saints Row 3 Thread-Hell Armageddon will break loose.

Aaaah man! Look at this, it's 11.11.11 and almost all threads are filled with Skyrim blablablabla stuff.

I really start to feel bad for preordering it... *Blech*
there was a fuckton of Skyrim threads before release, and for ages before. Same with COD/BF. Almost nothing for Saints Row 3.

The fanbse isn't as big or rabid.

Though, honestly, I don't mind the MW3/BF3 stuff, because I can just not read the threads. Bronies aren't so restrained, and I see a lot of them posting pony crap in unrelated threads.

I mean, ideally, yes there would be fewer shooty shooty brown stuff threads. Especially the cycle of "BEST GAEM EVAR!//THIS GAME SUCKS!//WHY ALL THE HATE" threads.

But they still really don't annoy me, because COD "bros" don't spam the shit out of their passtime in other threads.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
[...] yes there would be fewer shooty shooty brown stuff threads. Especially the cycle of "BEST GAEM EVAR!//THIS GAME SUCKS!//WHY ALL THE HATE" threads.
[...]
I don't want to argue which fanbase is worse, I think we all are biased in favor of one game or another at some point. My whole argument is that in times of AAA release titles the threads are getting obnoxiously filled with stupid fanboyish and fangirlish comments that are utterly useless or even detterent.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
I don't want to argue which fanbase is worse, I think we all are biased in favor of one game or another at some point. My whole argument is that in times of AAA release titles the threads are getting obnoxiously filled with stupid fanboyish and fangirlish comments that are utterly useless or even detterent.
I was arguing clear prominence, something which can be objectively observed. Please spare me the "we're all biased" thing.

All things are not created equal. Count the number of Saints Row the Third threads pre-release, then the number of MW3/BF3/Skyrim threads pre-release, and compare. Go on, I'll wait.

*whistles absently*

Back? Good. What were the results?

Better, this is actually part of an observable, long-term pattern. Funny that.

I'll let your get back to your false equivalence, though, if that's what you REALLY want.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
You don't get the point, do you?

As the original poster, if you start to stress how one group is better (or in this case less obnoxious) than another you are discrediting yourself and underminde your whole argument. Because it's not to point out who is better or who isn't

I'm not going to tell you which group I find has the most revolting fanbase I think it's a common problem the Escapist forum has. Some threads more, some less but I'm not telling which one, that's not the point.
If you want to try to be sarcastic and witty about that, fine go on. I'm not going to stop you. But I think you should be busy counting the threads yourself you so boastfully proposed to be compared. If you want to provide evidence don't use rhetorics, use motherf*cking evidence!

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I was going to say they are all sequels and out this year, i am a fanboy of disliking fanboys though:)