What do so few gay gamers play FPS games?

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
sextus the crazy said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
Weird topic but whatever I need to vent a little.

So I'm a gay gamer (Refuse to use the term "gaymer" because it's fucking retarded), but I'm also a gay gamer who happens to love shooters of all shapes and kinds, from Call of Duty to Bioshock to Borderlands.

The problem is, I'm apparently am in a minority within a minority because as it turns out, not a lot of gay gamers play shooters. I found this out when I joined a gay gaming forum and asked if anybody there played Battlefield or Killzone and was met with whatever the written form of a judgmental stare is.

Turns out 99% of all gay gamers are really into RPG's in a big way, which is fine. I like RPG's too. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, etc. But most of them are into Bioware's games or MMO's or JRPG's. I can't really get into those games like they do so I'm forced to just sort of sit on the sidelines while they have epic conversations about some sidequest in Mass Effect.

I know people like but what they like but when I say it's extremely rare to find another gay dude who likes shooters I really mean it. I know I could probably just continue playing with other random straight dudes and I'm sure you're thinking "What does it matter?" and you mostly have a point but it is nice to occasionally play with someone like you where you don't have to tiptoe around and watch what you say, etc.
But from what I've heard from the kids on Xbox live, around 90% of the CoD userbase is gay.
and they slept with your mom too
O.T. shooters online have this stigma attached to them where they shoot fag around as an insult and if I was playing a game for enjoyment and was gay I wouldn't want to be hearing that every time of course you can shrug it off but it does get old real fast

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"You're shit."

"You're shit ******."

"Do you like big cock you faggoty shit?"

Ad infinitum. I imagine that might have something to do with it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
daibakuha said:
Strazdas said:
Ando85 said:
I have never encountered people more judgmental and homophobic than say the typical CoD player. They throw around the word "******" more than anything to the point where it has lost any meaning.
Basically this is the reason. Shooter audience simply does not allow for enjoymen in gaming. ANd thier singleplayers are too short, so people often mvoe to other genres just to avoid the "xbox kids" communities.

P.S. capcha: sharp stick. Its a spear!
There are exceptions of course. I typically find that PC FPS has a more mature attitude when it comes to these things.
PC audience acts more maturely for any genre usually because it is more mature.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I don't see how the sexuality of other players matters, really. But I do suspect there are probably more homosexual FPS players who simply don't advertise that they're gay.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Shrug I guess it's more a personal preference I mean my best friend on xbox is a gay dude and while he does love rpgs he also plays halo every week, loves blops and the other call of duty games and is currently playing borderlands 2 after playing one to death. The forums is probably more an issue of that's what the most vocal members like so it appears to be the general consensus when it's just the personal opinion of a few.

Brian Conmy

Feb 18, 2010
I'm gay and Borderlands is one of my favourite games. Sunk thousands of hours into shooters between Borderlands, Bioshock, Call of Duty games and lots of others. Yeah I also love RPGs but have fallen out of love with the genre due to recent failures *cough* Square Enix *cough*. Any of my gay gamer friends also play shooters bar a small few who are RPG obsessed.
Then again if you don't play shooters, aren't you pretty likely to be a big RPG fan?

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Strazdas said:
PC audience acts more maturely for any genre usually because it is more mature.
Something to do with a higher cost of entry, I think. People spend hundreds of dollars on a high end PC, they just wanna play video games, not sit around and insult each other.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Ideally it shouldn't be gaymer or gay gamer, it should be gamer period. I really don't care about the sexuality of my fire-team or my opponent.

Edit: (added specification) In fact I generally just don't want to talk about anyone's sexuality, sexual exploits or whatever else there is. What I do want to talk about is who I need to shoot and where they are, and how best to shoot them.

SleepyOtter

Apr 28, 2010
I'm gay and nearly all I play is FPS, granted I play RPG's, RTS's, and strategy but mostly western Rpgs like The Elder scrolls series or something along those lines. Of course I wouldn't call myself part of gay culture since I hate the idea of it.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
That's a big assumption to make.

Multiplayer shooters are probably one of the last places to go if you want a supportive and respectful conversation about sex and sexuality.

And that isn't really a topic that should come up if you are playing multiplayer.

Even for singleplayer FPS', those who are playing probably just aren't making their voices heard over the louder, and more story driven, RPGs.

Jun 11, 2008
I wasn't aware this was a thing. I'm fairly sure it is the same in most forums as most forums I've been to seem to have an anti multiplayer attitude. Also you hardly going to get people broadcasting they are a homosexual in an FPS are you?

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
so they dont have to put up with shit like this "fuck you you hacker ****** **** im gonna rape your dog" see noone like that

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Maybe I'm way too picky or just lucky with my multiplayer games, but beyond a moba game (Heroes of Newerth is notably nasty), heck, even with my short time with Xbox Live(!), I've never, ever encountered someone uttering the G word.

Maybe in a game ot two or Tribes: Ascend, but I'm way too busy flying at 150 km/h and shooting stuff to even notice.

SuperfastJellyfish

Jan 1, 2012
I'm the gayest person I know, seriously I'm sitting here in an argyle sweater. And I really only play shooters, I'm into like every genre but shooters are my default.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Blood Brain Barrier said:
You have to watch what you say just because someone else has a different sexuality than you? What kinds of things are you saying? I'm intrigued.
Hopefully I haven't been ninja'd on answering you, and also, I hope I'm still in time to give a prompt response.

It's not about what he says, it's what he says about himself. If there's one thing I know about first person shooters: you never, EVER let anyone in the game know that you're gay. What comes next is always a deluge of awful "jokes", homophobic slurs, and most likely a surge of terrible gameplay etiquette (teamkilling and such). It's not right, that's just what happens.
Here's a video showing what happens in shooters if you show even the slightest hint of being homosexual:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6alOnuN-wCY

OT: Games are pretty inclusive, on their own. Gamers, on the other hand, are NOT. I'd imagine that RPGs are popular because they create populated worlds that don't discriminate against homosexuality. Nobody in Mass Effect looks at you differently to my knowledge. Men routinely stop me and tell me how handsome I am in Skyrim when I'm wearing an amulet of mara. My hypothesis is: Because gamers themselves are the largest barrier to entry, homosexual players tend to gravitate towards single player experiences, particularly ones in which they occupy worlds with a positive, or at least neutral outlook on homosexuality.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I find it kind of funny that you say gay gamers like games that are more gay than shooters. In a lot of WRPGs you can be gay in game, and JRPGs have a lot of fabulous bishounens running about. Honestly I have no idea what a gay man thinks though so I can't give you an answer.