What do the content creators owe to the fans?

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
What content creators owe to their fans can be summed up in one question: Are you paying for it?

If the answer is "no", then the creator owes fuckall to you since you're likely not contributing a single damn bit to their work.

If the answer is "Yes", then the content creator owes you an honest description of their work (so you aren't suckered in like with WarZ), and a enough content and repeatability to justify the asking price. A person recording a one-hour 12-track album and publishing it on Bandcamp for $2 would be a good value, whereas a $60 game with a 3-hour long campaign, no co-op and broken multiplayer likely won't be a good value.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
They owe you what you pay for
if you pay 10 bucks to see a movie, you'd better show the movie
if it's a youtube channel that is free, then they owe you nothing, but it is in their interest to keep you interested

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
Jon left because he moved to New York if you wanted to know, it wasn't on bad terms otherwise Arin wouldn't have made the "Ode to Jon" video that you can find on their channel. If however there was something deep and personal going on behind the scenes, then that's just it: It's a personal matter and fans do not need to know everything about Arin and Jon's personal lives.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Content creators don't owe you anything. Ever. With that in mind, it is in their best interest, (like someone above me said) to make you and bunch of other people happy. They don't exist without you and people like you. It's up to them to weigh the pros and cons of telling you and not telling you.

This isn't to say you shouldn't be demanding of content creators, it's just that the content creator has the final say.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Nice, people read the title and just post ... who needs an OP? Am I rite? Jesus.

On topic. Same happened with rev3 games, Adam Sessler left and I think somebody else did but they just carried on as though nothing happened. I know Adam tweeted about it but not a peep from rev3.

People leave jobs, I don't think an explanation is required ... wouldn't change anything. They left, end of!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I think content creators generally have an obligation to keep fans abreast of changes to their content like that, as a mutual respect/transparency thing, at least where 'taking something away' is concerned. Jon left a long time ago but it was mainly the suddenness and Steam Train clusterfuck that struck me. I remember a comment describing the change as CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS and that's about the size of it. It's not about what content creators HAVE to do for fans, it's about they're being unnecessarily harsh and alienating if they do something like this and tell you nothing.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wait. Didn't they already explain why Jon left?

Oh. Yep. Yeah. Uh-huh. There it is. There's the Gorbachev. That's how the cookie crumbles. [continues rambling in the style of Jontron]

Not sure why this is a thing. Jon wanted to refocus on his own show. It's also obvious that he moved to New York which kinda makes sitting on the couch with Egoraptor and Grumping at a game difficult. Did they having a falling out or something? I don't know, but nothing actually indicates that they did.

Beyond that? Honestly, if it's free, they don't owe you anything. But most of the people I know do show a great deal of love and appreciation for their fans.

If you're paying for it, they owe you a functional product. Beyond that, I'd say treating the customer with respect is more a good idea than a requirement. After all, we have seen some blow back when they haven't, like with that guy who insulted a customer until Penny Arcade heard about it and showed his actions to the world.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
IllumInaTIma said:
So, I'm a GameGrumps fan and lately fan community, at least on Reddit, was somewhat... not happy. As always it all started with discussions about Jon leaving Grumps and Arin not saying a word about it etc. However, it raises a question. Was Arin supposed to tell fans about it? Was he supposed to tell anything? This is the problem I have with that subreddit, fans feel that Grumps owe them something. Arin owes an explanation. Jon owes an explanation. Suzy owes an explanation. Why do they keep silent?! Are they hiding something?! I personally believe that no, they don't owe fans shit. We're not their friends, no matter how much we think we are. Fans are free to complain, of course, but the problem is that majority of complains are completely irrelevant to the current situation.
TLDR: Basically how much do you think content creators owe to their fans?
They did a farewell video for Jon that introduced Danny, with Jon explaining that he left to work on his own show more as he felt GG was interfering with his scheduling and making it take longer than it should have.

Insert comment from "Gabe Newell" that Half Life 3 will be out before he makes a new vid.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Honestly nothing.

As long as this content can be received free of charge, the content creators don't owe fans much of anything. I guess fan loyalty stands for something, but that doesn't give them ownership over the content or the creators' private issues.
^-- My sentiments summarized rather well

Don't get me wrong. If a content provider is making his living creating the content, and the fans contribute to this in some way, such as ad revenue, then the content providers DO owe their fans at least some common courtesies, like a reliable release schedule for their content and appreciation of their support.

That said, we live in the age of commercial blockers that shall not be named, and the fans who tend to be the loudest in their complaints about contents (and I know I'm generalizing here, but juuuust saying) tend to be the same level of entitled where they would use said commercial blockers constantly... which means they contribute nothing to the content providers, yet demand satisfaction from them.

and yeah... in those cases, they're owed absolutely nothing.

Buckshaft

Jan 12, 2014
Easy question.

Are they charging you for the content?

If so, they owe you content of value equal to the amount being charged.

If not, then they owe you fuck-all. You aren't entitled to something you aren't paying for. Even if your viewership is keeping the content afloat, no money is changing hands, so you're owed nothing.