What do you do when you can't sleep?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Harkonnen64 said:
JoesshittyOs said:
You joke, but it does help.
Relaxes the body and releases endorphines: just makes sense really. Now, it's when you can't sleep AND can't get off that you've got a problem.
I'd say that not being able to get off is a problem in and of itself.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
I drink a pot of Coffee and ride that ***** through til morning. If I won't be able to get the amount of sleep I'll need or I think I won't be able to wake up in time, I'll just stay up. I used to have a really bad problem with insomnia, so I'm used to going without.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Since every Sunday it's impossible for me to sleep, I've declared it a night fit for 6-hour Team Fortress 2 marathons. I usually browse the internet on my phone if I can't sleep, I'll usually fall asleep and drop the phone on my face though, so it's effectiveness is debatable.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Well, it's dark, the door's locked, everyone else is asleep, and if you're on the Escapist I assume you've got your own computer with an internet connection.

You know what to do.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Da Orky Man said:
If I really can't sleep and haven't got anything pressing the next day, I just won't sleep. I'll get up, cook and eat a meal, play games, just hang around the house.

CAPTCHA: 'Train Surfing'. Yeah, or that.
Does playing the witcher 2 count as "pressing"?

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I've spent almost my entire life having issues sleeping. When I was in elementary I had a bedtime of 10 but I wouldn't go to sleep until at least midnight if not later. It's been suggested to me that I might not make enough melatonin but that person wasn't a doctor and neither am I so, who knows, could be true, could not.

So usually when I can't sleep it all depends on what I have to do the next day. If I can't sleep and I have to get up at five in the morning, I just try my damndest to calm down, relax, and go to sleep. It usually doesn't work and I lie there, bored, for hours, but nothing else works either.

If I don't have anything to do the next day...I get up. I play video games, watch a movie, read a book, just do what I want to do. I gave up keeping an actual sleep schedule a long time ago because usually I can't go to sleep unless I'm exhuasted anyways so if I don't have to be up and doing something the next day then there's no point torturing myself.

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
'fap fap fap' :p Well besides the obvious stress reliever I usually listen to classic rock or stare at the ceiling miserably.
Daystar Clarion said:
When I'm not sleepy, I stop being not sleepy and be awesome instead.

True story.
Isn't that a how I met your mother reference? s:c

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
When I can't sleep, MST3k. I recommend Diabolik (godawful 60s movie) or Godzilla vs. Megalon (godawful 70s movie) The dubs on both of those are hilarious.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I usually watch netflix in the hopes that it will put me to sleep. Unfortunately, I usually get into watching whatever show I put on and just keep on starting new episodes. You would think after a few sleepless nights I would learn that its a bad idea, but I frequently get to the point where I just say screw it and aim for sleeping the next night.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I play Minecraft and find something mindless to do in it. It's almost a zen like trance just continually picking a hole in the ground looking for minerals.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Melatonin. I know someone has already mentioned it, but I might as well to :p

I have trouble getting to the point where I can fall asleep, even though im extremely tired, so I usually take Melatonin to get to that point so I can sleep. While thats having its way with me, I usually put on Mythbusters on Netflix and wait for the drugs to hit.

Sablestick

Jul 18, 2011
I either listen to mp3's on my laptop, or I play youtube videos I've already seen, get bored, close my eyes and listen to it, then wake up later to find that I'd fallen asleep.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
I usually listen to music or watch a movie. Failing those 2, I usually read till its hard to focus, or... fap (or clop) myself to sleep, as others have suggested. I usually stay up way too late for my own good anyways, so I tend to not have too hard of a time going to sleep.

As for your spider dream though, I would be more confused and fascinated than scared. I like me some spiders, and usually go out of my way to save them. I tend to put them on my pear tree, helps keep the bugs away.

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
When I can't sleep, sometimes I read for a bit and unwind away from electronics to calm myself down. Other times, I drink chamomile tea before going to bed because it has mild sedative properties.