What do you feel are the scariest elements of games?

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
Bioshock started with enemies jumping out of corners then just when I thought I had it figured out the lights started going off, corpses started attacking me and statues followed me across entire levels.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Wardog13 said:
The quiet calm before the storm, the pure fear and anxiety you feel as you stumble about every corner expecting to see an other worldly demon and you find nothing, only to be assaulted from the other side, that is true fear, its to bad the only game I ever played tjat pulled it off was Silent Hill.
This. I don't count cheap startle moments as genuinely scary. A game that pulled that off with me would be FEAR, especially the office level where you first meet those cloaked melee guys. A large portion of the level is completely enemy-less, but dear gods it's scary. You know they're going to pop up at sóme point, just when and where....no idea. After you've discovered the trick (you hear a chirping sound, engage slow-mo, look behind you/above you/etc and shoot) however, it's not even remotely scary anymore.

Also BioShock, especially Fort Frolic after you got attacked by those gipsen covered splicers. You never knew which statue was a real splicer, made me paranoid as hell.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
MisterM2402 said:
I mean, who are the scariest characters, what are creepiest locations, the most bone-chilling music, etc. ?
Also, which games tried hard to be scary but ultimately failed?

For me, the Shalebridge Cradle from Thief: Deadly Shadows was just... *shudder*. Wallmasters (Ocarina of Time), too - horrifying!
For me it would be pretty much everything in the suffering,not played it?

DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!
THIS THIS THIS AND A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!!!
It's seriously fucked up isn't it?
Indeed it is, the fuzzy cameras, the eerie sound of a Slayer crawling along the walls, the deserted corridors and having that feeling "They were coming". The first time I played it (In a dark room), my heart was racing.
Have you played it with surround sound?

FUUUUUUUUUUUU
Alas, I have not. You know what? I will try and play it with surround sound at some point.
When i first heard the growl slayers make i about shat myself
Don't worry mate, we all shit ourselves when we heard that. lol
That and the bit when you go in the bathroom and you hallucinate all those slayers
Doesn't your kid pop up and say "Daddy..." on that part?
Yeah,he goes daddy then they appear
It's a truly eerie scene. "Shudders" Also, you gotta love the random flashes of monsters with the loud sound when your just walking along.
and Hermes

Oh god Hermes
No man, it's all about Dr Killjoy. What goes through that guys head we will never know.
I really don't want to know what's in there

Predlin

May 23, 2009
I think the eternal darkness series whole madness thing was terrifying.
I remember that half the time i couldn't tell what was actually happening and what was fake
not to mention how some of the effects seemed real. Once the game made me think all my files had been erased, scariest moment EVER.

Dr. Wily III

Jul 27, 2009
Luigis Mansion when you are low on health, haha! (Those freakin' invisible Ghosts who strangle you to death!)

Reg5879

Jan 8, 2009
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
Reg5879 said:
lewism247 said:
MisterM2402 said:
I mean, who are the scariest characters, what are creepiest locations, the most bone-chilling music, etc. ?
Also, which games tried hard to be scary but ultimately failed?

For me, the Shalebridge Cradle from Thief: Deadly Shadows was just... *shudder*. Wallmasters (Ocarina of Time), too - horrifying!
For me it would be pretty much everything in the suffering,not played it?

DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!
THIS THIS THIS AND A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!!!
It's seriously fucked up isn't it?
Indeed it is, the fuzzy cameras, the eerie sound of a Slayer crawling along the walls, the deserted corridors and having that feeling "They were coming". The first time I played it (In a dark room), my heart was racing.
Have you played it with surround sound?

FUUUUUUUUUUUU
Alas, I have not. You know what? I will try and play it with surround sound at some point.
When i first heard the growl slayers make i about shat myself
Don't worry mate, we all shit ourselves when we heard that. lol
That and the bit when you go in the bathroom and you hallucinate all those slayers
Doesn't your kid pop up and say "Daddy..." on that part?
Yeah,he goes daddy then they appear
It's a truly eerie scene. "Shudders" Also, you gotta love the random flashes of monsters with the loud sound when your just walking along.
and Hermes

Oh god Hermes
No man, it's all about Dr Killjoy. What goes through that guys head we will never know.
I really don't want to know what's in there
Neither Do I. lol

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Ace of Spades said:
Thief 3. Shalebridge Cradle, huddling in a corner praying to god that the twitching monstrosity that's about two inches away from my face doesn't care to lean in a bit farther.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Those things would literally be brushing you as they passed. I'd always wait for one to do it's rounds several times before I moved - even if the thing was on the other half of the map, it was never the right time to break free from the wall... just in case... And when those lights started to flicker - :O