What do you get for a 55 year old's birthday?

rsacks

Nov 19, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
Get him some kind of fancy alcohol, maybe an expensive bottle of whiskey, wine or champagne.
If he's not into alcohol then maybe get him something relating to a hobby he has, if he's into fishing, golf or even DIY or something there's probably something in that area he could be looking for.
EDIT: ooh you could maybe even get him something interesting from south korea aswell (not sure what though)
I think this is probably the best post that gives suggestions. Seriously, you should know your dad's hobbies, so get him something that he likes.

My dad is a huge Sci-Fi buff, so my brother and sister and I usually chip in to get him a boxed DVD set of one of his favorite shows that doesn't air that often (Original Star Trek, Original Twilight Zone, Sliders stuff like that).

Pick a hobby and get him something related to it, even if he doesn't like/need it, he's your dad and will pretend to like it anyway.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
Just ask him be upfront about it, tell him you are getting something for him but just outright ask him what he wants. I've done that for my dad since I was 6 and I have never gone wrong in 26 years.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Honestly, Lottery Tickets. At least that's what my grandfather asked for when his birthday rolled around.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Just ask him what he's into these days, and base your gift on what he tells you.

Make sure it's something that he can't just go out and buy himself...

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Ilikemilkshake said:
Get him some kind of fancy alcohol, maybe an expensive bottle of whiskey, wine or champagne.
This. Always makes a good, easy present.

Alternatively you could see if he reads and get a book you think he may enjoy. Since you're in South Korea, i'm sure you could pick up something novel. Gifts from abroad are always entertaining, just for the novelty alone. Pick up something from a curio shop.

Nahhnbah

Nov 4, 2010
7moreDead said:
Nahhnbah said:
Warning: The Following reply is in no way serious

Taiwanese hookers? Certainly make him feel young again.

Actual Reply

Something that he'll use, that he genuinely appreciate and enjoy. Taiwanese hookers
I quoted and fixed, it was going to kinda be my answer so saved me some typing :D
WHERES MY ROYALTY FEE?

Also, don't just buy with some wine glasses or shelving brackets.

Serperoth

Sep 9, 2009
If he's into more "nice" stuff, maybe a bottle of good whisky, or wine?
If he smokes, how about a pipe, or a good cigar?
A fine silk tie, if he likes to dress well...

But yeah, it all depends on how much money you haz.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Tallim said:
Age has nothing to do with it whatsoever. You should have at least some idea of what he likes.
My thoughts exactly. My mother turns 55 in three months and I know she's into crafts (she runs a stained-glass craft company and teaches courses in arts and crafts at the community college near her house). I'll probably get her a book about something I know she hasn't done but is in that same range of interest for her.