What do you guys think of Texas and the people who live here?

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Never been there, so I can't really comment.

Although I'm jealous of all the wide-open space you guys have. That kind of desolate atmosphere is something that I need every once and a while.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Kryzantine said:
As a NYer... normal people, for the most part.

I mean, there's a fair amount of state pride in there, Texas does boast the only state-kept militia in America (on top of contributing to the National Guard and the army), gun laws are fairly lenient there, but the state as a whole is quite balanced politically. West Texas is apparently the stereotypical Texas, though. Houston and Austin are fairly liberal cities, really normal people there, but you cross this imaginary line to places like Lubbock, and the state turns on its head.

But it's really quite alright. Great place if you want to get into IT or computer software, those jobs are opening up fairly quickly and NASA is always expanding.
Pretty spot on, but yeah, we herded out stereotypical Texans to the West a while ago(LOL). The best places for business, tech, software, pretty much anything not related to agriculture is in East Texas(where I live, little place called Sugar Land, built by the Imperial Sugar company). Militia is pretty controlled, though I have never met one, and a couple of people from my school's JROTC outfit went into the National Guard, Army, or ROTC. Plus, good schools too(Check out Texas A&M, mainly the band. ONLY COLLEGE BAND allowed on TV during Half Time of a college game).

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
nuba km said:
the majority of vocal Texans (I don't know if they are majority or minority of all Texans) I despise with a passion I won't go into detail because it will properly offend some people.
If it helps you to speak your mind, I'm actually a Democrat. I don't like Texans who are vocal either, or the guys who pretty much boo a guy for speaking his mind. I'm not patronizing you, but i agree with you to an extent. And besides, this is the internet, no one knows who you are and you can offend practically every race on the globe and not leave a trace.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It has idiots, smart people, scumbags, nice people, you know just like any other state.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Onyxious said:
nuba km said:
the majority of vocal Texans (I don't know if they are majority or minority of all Texans) I despise with a passion I won't go into detail because it will properly offend some people.

Gotta agree. Good lord that accent is annoying.
Now was 'rong wit' m' accent, if'in ya don't mind me askin'?

Yeah, i talk clean cut English here in Texas, yet sound like a (genius) country yokel outside my home. Probably me just retaining my cultural identity when outside my cultural hub. While you may hate the accent, what about the accent on the ladies? Hmmmmm??

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Hectix777 said:
nuba km said:
If it helps you to speak your mind, I'm actually a Democrat. I don't like Texans who are vocal either, or the guys who pretty much boo a guy for speaking his mind. I'm not patronizing you, but i agree with you to an extent. And besides, this is the internet, no one knows who you are and you can offend practically every race on the globe and not leave a trace.
yea but I want to be seen as a nice friendly guy on the escapist and insulting every race of the planet is not the way to go around doing that.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
Well, it's fine here. I live in a little town outside of Fort Worth. I mean, it's not great. Not terrible either. Just... fine.

Most of the stereotypes aren't true, as I'm sure OP knows.

Only major thing here that no one outside Texas knows, is that the weather is bipolar.

Seriously, blistering hot one day and ball-shriveling cold the next.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
Well aside from the silly accents and the fact that 90% of them are Cowboys fans they aren't any worse than the people anywhere else in the US.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Onyxious said:
I've lived in Texas for 9 years now. In the town I live in it's all racists and inbreeders. All the girls are rich snobs trying to act like their rich snob parents. The accents are annoying, and if you like animals, prepare to mocked. Also you might want to never leave your house if you were anything dark colored, are not obese, or have anything more than a slight Northern twinge to your accent. Get me out of here, please.

Dallas is OK, Houston and Austin too. But in general the small towns suck.

Also, if you're an atheist or in any way a free-thinker or artist. Prepare to be killed to death with shotguns.
Yikes, guess some seeds of the Confederates still exist(probably the ones who make the space confederacy???). Try a small-not-small-town. Confusing, i know. I live down in Sugar Land, it's a pretty nice and laid back place. It's not exactly a 9-5 suit and tie job town, it's more of a literal hometown, like the only purpose that it exists is to teach and raise kids and their families,y'know? It's not far from the big city, but be ready for a commute. Just offering alternatives to the haigs of Texas's darker and more hated and regretted past.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
nuba km said:
Hectix777 said:
nuba km said:
yea but I want to be seen as a nice friendly guy on the escapist and insulting every race of the planet is not the way to go around doing that.
It will if some Escapists are white supremacists.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Honestly, I don't know.

A lot of stereotypes come to mind (especially stuff like guns).

B?ut the only texan I've spoken to much is so far removed from any of those stereotypes that I honestly don't know what to think.

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
I live in Wyoming but I have had two roommates from Texas. They showed almost every stereotype I can think of so that is what I have to assume a majority of people there are like in some fashion.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Spent some time flying the southwest, did the Roswell, NM (yes, THAT Roswell) to DFW run. Incredible thunderstorms, the likes of which I'd never seen before, not even in the Gulf. Got family living in Houston.

Texans are pretty varied, from the funky Austinites, to the yuppie Houstonians, to the Tex/Mex border with its bicultural swing to the small town folk (here's a howdy to you guys in Junction and Gladewater). Their government is pretty flakey, but that's kind of a Texan thing, too. Could do without some of the xenophobia (weird in a diverse state like that, but there it is).

Only real negative thing probably comes from my time in New Mexico: Texas really isn't "The West". You want real cowboys riding through the sagebrush with huge canyons and weathered stone formations, go to New Mexico. Texas is more oil cowboys.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
geldonyetich said:
I'm of mixed minds. The backwoods conservatives who have more Texan pride than common sense I could do without. On the other hand, not all of Texas is yokels, there's actually quite a bit of technology industries going on there.
You forgot this [http://www.yugiohtheabridgedseries.com/], me.

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
"Fat, covered in fat, deep fried in fat and then served with a side order of fat." Texas has the worst but most appealing cusine I've ever heard off (and this is comming from a Northern Brit home of Chips and gravy, Yorkshire pudding, deep fried curry, faggots, pork scathings etc). Apart from that Oil, guns, Stetsons, a god sexy accent (yes I want some more pie), genrosity, guns, obesity, rodeo and did I forget guns.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
BBQ, fireworks, adolescent jackasses, and underestimated intelligence. Red, white, and blue everywhere. NASCAR. Racism. Ummm... universities, football, and politicians.

Oh yeah, and cattle ranches. Gotta have the cattle ranches.