What Do You Like About RPG?

Jan 27, 2011
It really depends on the RPG genre and style. Because there are tons of subgenres in the RPG family and each one hits a different need.

I like some RPGs because I enjoy a tactical challenge where I carefully analyze my moves every turn to create the optimum strategy and overcome high difficulty through good planning (example: Etrian Odyssey)

I like some RPGs because I like to create a character and just role play in a strange new world, and let a character be written and created by the actions I take with them ("Western" RPGs like the Elder Scrolls)

I like some RPGs because I want to experience a good story with several central characters, and not have to focus on twitch action to experience the story, and besides most turn-based RPGs focus on plot anyway (Persona)

I like some RPGs because I like slowly unlocking the potential of my party and gaining new skills and attacks and options. This goes double for those RPGs that allow me to customize my party or their abilities (Etrian Odyssey again).

There's a whole huge wealth of reasons to like any given RPG.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I like varied and interesting characters.

I like well-written dialogue.

I like building and customizing characters (in terms of gameplay mechanics)

I like exploring.

Of course not all RPGs cater to all of these likes.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Hm, kinda strayed into this topic on the ME:A thread.
Indeed we did, and if anyone is interested in reading a lot of text about RPG preferences and different types of them and what is appealing, try page 3 of that thread here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.943504-So-Mass-Effect-Andromeda?page=3

Lots of text, but a lot of talk about RPGs. Thankfully we also manage to keep it on the topic of Mass Effect, and there is still talk about Andromeda itself and not RPGs, so it isn't fully derailed for anyone interested in that conversation too.

Back to specifically this thread; hopefully OP has received a lot of insight into why people like RPGs in general, and how it really does differ depending on the type of RPG being played. If you still want to find RPGs to enjoy, but aren't sure what to look for, I'm sure the thread would be more than happy to direct you to some to try, though you'd probably have to tell us what sort of experience you were looking for from the game, going into it what you want it to be. Alternatively, if you'd rather get into a different mindset about a game, give us a game you were thinking of trying, and we'll tell you why people find that game appealing or interesting and fun. Its kind of hard given the RPG genre as a whole is... poorly defined, and widely varied, to give you a simple 'What is enjoyed about RPGs' that you could get yourself into the mindset of and then go pick up an RPG to play. You might go in wanting a great story, and well written characters, and grab Skyrim and be disappointed. You might go in wanting an open world and freedom to go anywhere and do your own thing, and grab Mass Effect 2, and be disappointed. You might want strategy and tactics, and grab The Witcher 3, and be disappointed, or you might want more actiony gameplay and grab Pillars of Eternity, and be disappointed. You've really got to know the game to know what it'll offer, so if you're still looking for RPGs to try, give us a shout and I'm sure we'll figure something out, one way or another.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
KissingSunlight said:
I want to thank everyone who have posted so far.

The first thing I want to say is I am curious about what do YOU like about RPG's?
I typically play them for the story and unusual atmosphere. RPG's are probably the most diverse games on the market, and there are more sub genres then I can list.

This recent interest in RPG's started last winter with World of Warcraft. I didn't realized the time and money you have to invest in the game. So, it ended up gathering dust. My next attempt was Dark Souls. Beating your head against a brick wall is fun. Until you passed out with a concussion. Right now, I'm playing South Park: The Stick of Truth. I quit in frustration the other night when I couldn't get the character to perform an action to advance the game.
I love RPG's, but some of them are very slowly paced. Even if their excellent, it's easy to get caught up with work of family, so that you don't play them for a month. Then their hard to come back to. I love games like Dark Soul's, and Shin Megami Tensai, but I tend to play them over the course of months. I've spent a good year on an RPG before, where that was almost the only game I've played. The game play can take some getting used to as well. I love games with strategy, but you often have to ease into it. It sounds like these kinds of RPG's aren't for you.

What you probably need are some good action RPG's. These games tend to have manageable play times. Instead of playing for 60-120 hours, you can usually finish them in 25-30. The game play tends to be fast paced and real time, instead of turn based. The stories are typically more clear, so that you don't have to search every nook and cranny for details. Instead of games like Dark Soul's I recommend:

Kingdom Hearts

Nier Automata

The upcoming FF15

And if your really want to try a turn based RPG, Persona

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
The sense of progression and the relative freedom(or illusion of such) to roam away from the rails and bugger about a bit. Also they tend to be longer and sometimes you want a longer relationship with your piece of electronic entertainment. As you make your way through an RPG, it feels like you're getting somewhere. And it tends to be reflected by your increase in gear and skills and the enemies you face.

Whereas in a lot of FPSes, you're still firing the same Assault Rifle you have and tossing it aside for a shotgun every now and then. It is all good fun but it's missing a certain brand of satisfaction you get from RPGs - being able to build up your power. It's a more lasting sense of achievement I suppose when you can inspect your house filled with war trophies.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Well, speaking about previous and classic RPGs, it's for the most part about the stories they tell and their ability to captivate the player.

As its name states, you take the role of the protagonist/s in their quest to rid the world of some/many evils, fulfill an overarching plot element, or complete an objective. Getting to see how those characters interact with one another, as well as the story's many themes, is a truly amazing thing to experience; when done right, of course.

The game play was always second to the story, as the turn-base nature of combat was also meant to simulate a form of narration in motion. This character did this and it was successful; the nimble character charged into battle and got in the first strike; etc. There are many games that are capable of having a compelling and complex story that has a combat system that complements it perfectly (i.e. Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door and the Xenosaga series).

Nowadays, however, game developers are hacking the genre in half when deciding to create a narrative driven game and one with a competent or revolutionary turn-based battle system. Visual novel titles have little to no game play aspects whatsoever, with multiple endings supplementing the former for some replay value. Other titles create some unique battle system that resembles RPG elements to provide excitement for a drab or mediocre narrative.

There are certainly modern iterations of RPGs that manage to deliver on story and combat, i.e. Bravely Default, as well as others that completely miss the bar, and at times seem to be at odds with those two crucial elements, i.e. Final Fantasy 13.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I enjoy killing things, taking their stuff, and leveling up. The story is important too, but only in the context of providing goals and challenges. Without something to strive for, the killing and leveling feels hollow.

Super deep, compelling narratives are nice but I've played so many RPGs by now, I'm not holding my breath anymore. For every one Persona 4, Dragon Age Origins, and Xenogears; there are a hundred Skyrims and Dragon Age 3's.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
CrimsonBlaze said:
Well, speaking about previous and classic RPGs, it's for the most part about the stories they tell and their ability to captivate the player.

As its name states, you take the role of the protagonist/s in their quest to rid the world of some/many evils, fulfill an overarching plot element, or complete an objective. Getting to see how those characters interact with one another, as well as the story's many themes, is a truly amazing thing to experience; when done right, of course.

The game play was always second to the story, as the turn-base nature of combat was also meant to simulate a form of narration in motion.
This is historical revisionism. RPGs have never been story-focused games. Games like Ultima, Wizardry, and Might and Magic were not about story. RPGs were a digital offshoot of tabletop D&D, which was a dungeon crawling simulator, not a storytelling game. Stories in RPGs were incidental to the rules, mostly there to provide context, and delivered at a meta-layer between the players, not the game itself.

Even in modern RPGs the story is still there to contextualize the action. You can take out the story and it's still an RPG, but if you take out the combat it becomes something else.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Grampy_bone said:
CrimsonBlaze said:

The game play was always second to the story, as the turn-base nature of combat was also meant to simulate a form of narration in motion.
This is historical revisionism. RPGs have never been story-focused games. Games like Ultima, Wizardry, and Might and Magic were not about story. RPGs were a digital offshoot of tabletop D&D, which was a dungeon crawling simulator, not a storytelling game. Stories in RPGs were incidental to the rules, mostly there to provide context, and delivered at a meta-layer between the players, not the game itself.

Even in modern RPGs the story is still there to contextualize the action. You can take out the story and it's still an RPG, but if you take out the combat it becomes something else.
It's not historical revisionism. JRPGs (console RPGs back then) were so well known for having lots of dialog and story that some people even used to said they weren't real games, and that if they wanted to read they would take a book instead. The most popular RPGs from the SNES aren't popular because of their RPG mechanics; but because of their story and characters.

By the way, defining D&D as just a dungeon crawling simulator makes the game a great disservice. Are you a Munchkin [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_(role-playing_games)] or what?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
CaitSeith said:
By the way, defining D&D as just a dungeon crawling simulator makes the game a great disservice.
In fairness...that's not entirely wrong. D&D is an off-shoot of Chainmail which was a wargame. You know, you have a bunch of figures and just battle them - it's the thing Warhammer is still doing. At first D&D was a dungeon crawling simulator - it wasn't far off from Chainmail but you control one figure and don't have a big field[footnote]Also, there is a lot more Tolkien stuff. Although I don't know how much of it was in Chainmail.[/footnote]. Instead you go in through rooms, clear them out and get loot out of it. There wasn't even XP, each class has it's own way of levelling tied to what the class does - thieves (a.k.a., old timey rogues), for example level up based on how much gold they get.

After a while it did transform into what you will more accurately describe as role-playing as opposed to roll-playing but it's not like it was always the bastion of storytelling. Heck, if you listen to people's complaints around the 3.5/4e edition war, you'd notice THEY WANT TO ROLL-PLAY. Yet they defend that as "true" D&D. More specifically, people on the 3.5 side complained that 4e does not have rules for social stuff and that it promoted "roll-playing".

I'll let that one sink in.

So, "roll-playing" is a derisive term for a player or style of play where mechanics are favoured over story. A "role-player", by contrast, will be one who cares more about the story and other characters. If faced with an armed angry villager, the former may just say "I roll diplomacy"[footnote]So, purely using mechanics for a resolution[/footnote] while the latter may say "I try to calm the villager appealing to his better nature and begging him not to dishonour himself before his family and deity with bloodshed"[footnote]A narrative resolution[/footnote]. Explicit rules in the system for how exactly to act and stuff is by definition roll-playing. Yet the 3.5 people somehow claimed it wasn't. Conversely, not having rules will be a sign for any role-player that they have narrative freedom. I really don't know - I've never managed to get an answer how that makes any sense.

So, yeah, it's not really like D&D is and has always been the bastion of anti-"kick in the door" play.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
DoPo said:
So, "roll-playing" is a derisive term for a player or style of play where mechanics are favoured over story. A "role-player", by contrast, will be one who cares more about the story and other characters. If faced with an armed angry villager, the former may just say "I roll diplomacy" while the latter may say "I try to calm the villager appealing to his better nature and begging him not to dishonour himself before his family and deity with bloodshed". Explicit rules in the system for how exactly to act and stuff is by definition roll-playing. Yet the 3.5 people somehow claimed it wasn't. Conversely, not having rules will be a sign for any role-player that they have narrative freedom. I really don't know - I've never managed to get an answer how that makes any sense.

So, yeah, it's not really like D&D is and has always been the bastion of anti-"kick in the door" play.
I'm assuming you're saying that you don't understand how having rules isn't roll-playing, and doesn't count as a limitation to role-playing.

The thing is, the rules actually help with role playing. It stops you from going "My wizard is actually a really good hand to hand combat player, and punches the guy to the moon", making nonsensical claims for your character in the campaign. It also simulates the uncertainty of life, and the lack of control you have over it - and thus that your character has over theirs. The DM has ultimate say, and some will give huge bonuses for good role playing, others won't, but the dice play an important part here.

IRL if you were to say "Don't dishonour yourself before your family and deity with bloodshed" - would you be guaranteed success just from saying it? No, you would not. So the decision of success has to go elsewhere. It can go to the DM, and ultimately it does rest with them. The problem with it being solely a DM based affair is it often isn't as fair or fun - you have a god that is meddling with everything all the time. Nothing can be resolved without their say so, and it forces them to always judge their players. "That speech actually sucked, you failed" isn't going to go down well with a friend, and it breeds competition between the players and the DM in terms of the story they each want told. Giving the decision to the dice allows a measure of power to both player and DM, as well as the ultimate power to luck. DMs can override the dice, and design encounters the dice couldn't possibly win, but generally they'll sit back, avoid that conflict, and let the dice assist in the story. Its an important part of the experience.

Limitations in what you can do are also essential to the role playing experience. I mean, I doubt we all think that it'd be role playing for a monk in D&D to pull out a lightsaber and chainsaw and go on a massacre. It just doesn't make sense. There are a lot of similar things in that world that just don't make sense like that, but they're not as obvious so they get codified as rules. A paladin who acts evilly loses their powers - its a law of the world. A druid can't enact their magic outside their realm [Depending on edition]. It also more enforces role playing. You get a role, and say you're lawful good - you can't just break that role because its convenient. You've got to stay in it, and maybe your alignment changes over time, but it won't be schizophrenic based on what you as a player want to do. Hence your DM might make you act in a certain way.

The dice roles and rules of the game add limitations that guide role playing, and assist the experience, more than anything. Role playing isn't about telling the whole story, about deciding everything happening in the world around you. Its about putting yourself in your character's shoes, and making decisions realistically within their limitations - which are codified by the rules - from their point of view. The rules do nothing to impede this, they just inform you of what those limitations are. Where things cross into roll playing is where you start to ignore the part about making decisions from your character's perspective, and start to make them from the player perspective. You no longer try to persuade this person because your character is a charmer, you do it because its the whim of you as a player. You think it'd be more interesting to persuade this time, or its more optimal to not fight and save your potions - so even though your character wouldn't try to persuade and instead would do a raged charge, you go for a persuade because you're not playing the role of your character, you're playing the role of you.
Role players bend their decisions to match their role, roll players bend the role to match their decisions, if they even have a role. The mechanical limitations of the world, expressed through the rules of the game, don't really impact that.

That said, there's a lot of stuff in D&D, and some stuff always won't make sense. I guess it'd depend on the exact rules you're talking about as to whether the explanation counts or not, but by and large rules don't interfere with role playing too much, especially with a DM who likes to role play. Its more an attitude you adopt, than a codified design of play.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Joccaren said:
The thing is, the rules actually help with role playing. It stops you from going "My wizard is actually a really good hand to hand combat player, and punches the guy to the moon", making nonsensical claims for your character in the campaign.
Not exactly. A role player knows that "overpowered" is boring. A good GM should also be able to say "no" to overpowered suggestions.

Also, you should note that a lot of the criticism for 4e was that it was "just a dumb miniatures game, with no opportunity to role play", not that "OMG, I have too much freedom, that totally doesn't work guys" which is the exact opposite criticism. Also one I've never actually heard levelled at any game.

That said, there's a lot of stuff in D&D, and some stuff always won't make sense. I guess it'd depend on the exact rules you're talking about as to whether the explanation counts or not
"There are no rules for haggling. Therefore, you cannot haggle with traders."

"There are no rules for how to talk people. You are forced to just roll dice"

"The game only has rules for combat, therefore you can only fight"

"The game does not have rules for how to swing on a chandelier in order to attack somebody, therefore, I can't even fight the way I want"

"I cannot play a character who pretends he's a wizard, yet is actually a different class"

That's what I'm talking about. Please, please explain to me how these complains make any sort of sense from a role playing perspective. If you're appealing to the rules for everything, there is a term for that called "rules lawering" (conversely, "rules lawyer" is one who does that). It's a term deserved for the same category of people as roll players, for rules lawyers disregard any narrative shortcuts or even GM fiats and only ever consider the rules as written as the ultimate arbiter for how an action should play out. This is, of course, usually running counter to any story.

Now with this in mind, again I ask, how is "not having rules" in any way more roll playing than having them?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
DoPo said:
Yeah, it wasn't always that. However by the time that RPGs videogame (and later JRPGs) started to be made, D&D had advanced enough to allow more narrative freedom than usual tabletop games. Speaking of differences with other tabletops, we must not forget the Dungeon Master. He wasn't there just to enforce the rules, present the situations and play as the monsters and NPCs. He also dictated when a narrated action required a dice roll and when rolled action isn't necessary. There is also role-mastering and roll-mastering styles, but IMO the best DMs knows how to combine both styles. This brings me to the origin of RPGs videogames in general. They weren't made just to adapt the rules in a game and replace the dices and paper sheets; they were made to replace the DMs too. And because having some role-mastering was also a thing, several RPGs (specially JRPGs) had more narrative; while others were just for dungeon crawling. The first Final Fantasy follows the D&D gameplay style closer than any other entry in the series, and although the story was minimal compared to later games, it still had more than most other NES games.

mizushinzui

Apr 12, 2010
If I'm honest with myself the main reason I like RPG's is because I like to have a simple metric of my achievements in a game and RPG's give me that with all the bars and stat numbers. The other real reason is the fact that most games will last me about 8 hours at most and even then there have been games that I've played much less, but with an RPG you can get upwards of 20 hours on even the most basic one.

Obviously I also enjoy a good story and mechanics as much as the next gamer, but even if the story is complete crap I can still enjoy it on pure ham alone, as long as it has that Skinner box-ass success metric going for it I'll probably play for a fair few hours, even if it's pure shit.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
DoPo said:
Joccaren said:
The thing is, the rules actually help with role playing. It stops you from going "My wizard is actually a really good hand to hand combat player, and punches the guy to the moon", making nonsensical claims for your character in the campaign.
Not exactly. A role player knows that "overpowered" is boring. A good GM should also be able to say "no" to overpowered suggestions.

Also, you should note that a lot of the criticism for 4e was that it was "just a dumb miniatures game, with no opportunity to role play", not that "OMG, I have too much freedom, that totally doesn't work guys" which is the exact opposite criticism. Also one I've never actually heard levelled at any game.
However, what is overpowered is different for each person. In the situation described last post, who is right? Should the farmer be persuaded? Should they not? Why? Why not?
Its another level of overpowered if the choice is left up to the player, and if its left up to the DM it just creates conflict between the DM and the player, where its supposed to be a largely cooperative experience. You'd spend more time arguing about whether something was a legit role playing attempt or not, and whether it should have succeeded or not, than you would actually doing the role playing, and you'd get a lot of resentment towards DMs for being over-controlling in the story.

This is also likely where the "Too much freedom" stems from. If things aren't in the rules, they're at the discretion of the DM. Hell, they're at the discretion of the DM anyway but at least the players have some recourse for making things interactive and fair. If there aren't enough rules, it hinders role playing by forcing conflict between players, and doesn't allow for some quite interesting situations to happen based on the unpredictability of life, by forcing it to be purely the DMs world, and I'm sure we've all played with a DM that was far too controlling with their story and made the entire game not-fun because they wanted to ignore the rules, and just tell their own story and you had to sit and listen. Sticking to the letter of the rules all the time is also bad. Having a balance between, where the rules are there, but are somewhat open to interpretation, and the DM gets final say, makes it a more enjoyable experience.

"There are no rules for haggling. Therefore, you cannot haggle with traders."
Kind of a bit of a minor complaint, but see above. You try to haggle with the trader. DM says no, you fail. Who is correct? Do you get the discount? If yes, what level of control does the DM have over the experience? Why are they there? If no, then where do we draw the line on what power the DM has? Do the players even need to be there, or is it the DMs story time and they just want to tell it? How do we resolve the conflict that inevitably arises when gameplay is entirely based on opinions?

"There are no rules for how to talk people. You are forced to just roll dice"
Seems a silly complaint. However I can potentially see a hidden complaint at the lack of mention in the rules for DMs to be able to award situational bonuses, or role playing bonuses. It also may criticise potential situations where I could walk up to the queen and say "Yo *****, get in mah bed and fuck me silly", and roll the dice, and I'd succeed because dice. Rules surrounding what your character might actually say, and acting in character, help build that experience.

"The game only has rules for combat, therefore you can only fight"
Pretty important. Look at video games. Its a bit more hard coded there, but the same principal applies. There are no rules for climbing the outside of a tower with acrobatics in Dragon Age, so I can't do it. Again, it comes back to "Entirely at the DMs discretion" for anything but combat, which really doesn't work - it just creates conflict between the players and the DM, and makes an unenjoyable experience. Without rules for them, any action is undesirable, because it just creates conflict in the real world, and makes the game unenjoyable. This is also discounting rules lawyer type DMs who will say that because its not in the rules it can't be done. Effectively, there not being rules on how to do something, honestly does impact the role playing ability to do that in a game where everything is codified and abstracted by rules.

"The game does not have rules for how to swing on a chandelier in order to attack somebody, therefore, I can't even fight the way I want"
Situational bonuses. Pretty important TBH. Lets say you did this in a campaign. Who could decide what the appropriate penalty to apply to your rolls would be? Who could decide whether you succeed or fail? And your ability to succeed or fail based on those roles is an important aspect of the role playing side as well, as it determines the unpredictability of life, and forces you to play your role, come good or ill, and react as they would, rather than just tell a story about a person. Same problems of DM conflict with players, and inability to abstract the action effectively thanks to there being no instructions on how to do that.

"I cannot play a character who pretends he's a wizard, yet is actually a different class"
If you honestly can't do that, yeah, I sympathise with them. Honestly though, it sounds more like they just want an easy multiclass that doesn't make them shit at everything, which isn't as valid a complaint.

That's what I'm talking about. Please, please explain to me how these complains make any sort of sense from a role playing perspective. If you're appealing to the rules for everything, there is a term for that called "rules lawering" (conversely, "rules lawyer" is one who does that). It's a term deserved for the same category of people as roll players, for rules lawyers disregard any narrative shortcuts or even GM fiats and only ever consider the rules as written as the ultimate arbiter for how an action should play out. This is, of course, usually running counter to any story.

Now with this in mind, again I ask, how is "not having rules" in any way more roll playing than having them?
To understand, lets say there is a new rule added to D&D: "You must role play every character". Now, is this rule a roll playing rule? Or does it help role-play?

Rules can assist with roll playing, role playing, or both, depending on what the rule is. Removing rules can damage the roll playing, or role playing, or both experiences in this same way. Not having rules eventually equates to you sitting there listening to the DM tell a story, rather than playing the game with them. With no rules, you have no behaviour in the game to perform, and it is really just DM storytelling time. The rules provide context and flow to play. Without rules, players literally have nothing to do. In fact, neither does the DM. Without rules, the game doesn't exist, and isn't a roll or role playing experience. Which experience you build, is based on which rules you add and enforce.

Now, with almost all of the above problems, they could be solved by great DMs and great players creating their own rules around them. However, not every DM is great, nor is every player. And what about new players to the game? How do they deal with the situations? Without rules for these things codified, those who aren't expert D&D players and DMs are going to have a worse time with the game, whether role or roll playing.
Even the great DMs, however, are likely to look at it and go "Hmm. There's no rules for this. We need some. Lets just adapt the 3.5 rules for it". And at that point, where half the rules you're using are from 3.5, why are you not playing 3.5?

A lack of rules doesn't help role playing, it just creates a game with poorly defined systems. In most cases, this will mean those systems just don't exist, or don't get used - much like a computer game version - because most DMs and players aren't at the great master level of being able to invent those systems for the game. Without inventing systems, and just leaving it up to whether the DM says yes or no, you just create conflict between players and DM, and the role and roll playing experience becomes worse for everyone. It also removes a lot of the randomness of life that you role play around, and that enriches the role play experience, when the DM gets ultimate god-say without creating dice roll rules for it. Some rules build role playing - "You get situational bonuses for an in-character statement when persuading", for example, makes players try to role play, rather than just roll the dice - and if these rules don't exist, the role playing experience suffers.

I'm not familiar with all the rules of 4e, or anything of the like, so I don't know how valid the complaints are, but taking the ones you've stated at face value, it does represent a problem for role players in the game. Fewer rules doesn't necessarily create a more roll playing experience, but it certainly doesn't help with the role playing experience. If the rules removed were the ones that supported role playing, and the ones left only really support roll playing - then yeah, the removal of rules can have created a more roll-playing game. It all depends on what the rules that were removed are, and what they're replaced with.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I have a couple of random RPG questions. What would happen if I played the Mass Effect games out of order? Since some people have been talking up Morrowind, I was wondering if that game is on the 360 or PS3?

I guess the last question I have. Should I play Mass Effect 2 next or Skyrim?

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
KissingSunlight said:
I have a couple of random RPG questions. What would happen if I played the Mass Effect games out of order?
What do you mean "What would happen"? I mean, you'd play them out of order, that's what would happen.
You would not be able to import your save from 1 to 2, and thus would be stuck with a more generic background Shepard with many choices already made for you. You'd also be missing a lot of background context to many of the events that happen, and would miss a lot of the fan service moments where an old character returns, as for you they'd just be another random nobody. It'd be kind of like starting to watch Marvel's movies with Civil War. Sure, its a great movie and you'll still enjoy it, but there's a lot of stuff you'll be missing from the previous iterations.

Since some people have been talking up Morrowind, I was wondering if that game is on the 360 or PS3?
From what I understand you CAN play it on the 360, but its a horrible and inconsistent experience. Getting a PC version is recommended as the system requirements are pathetically low for today, and you're much more guaranteed to be able to run it, or make it run, in doing so.

That said, if you're steering away from Mass Effect 1 because of its clunky combat mechanics, Morrowind is on a whole other level. Both games have great parts to them, but both kind of try to mix the Isometric RPG and Action game combat into one, which has... mixed results. For example, in Morrowind, you can on-screen and in-game hit an enemy, but still miss because a dice roll says you missed. Its... Interesting, to say the least.

I guess the last question I have. Should I play Mass Effect 2 next or Skyrim?
Judging from what you've said, Mass Effect 2 [I, of course, recommend one first as it is the better story, a more open world game as well, and I honestly didn't find its downsides THAT unbearable, but your millage may vary]. If you found Fallout confusing and with too many quests and such, Skyrim will be the same. It also has rather clunky combat, though not as bad as Morrowind. Mass Effect 2 on the other hand has far tighter, though not perfect, combat, far more memorable and better written characters, and a more engaging story. It doesn't have the same freedom as Skyrim [ME1 is closer, though still not the same level], and is highly linear, however.

But they're completely different styles of games, so it kind of depends what it is you want to experience; story focused role playing, or complete freedom role playing - and how much polish you need to enjoy the experience [ME2 is largely polished, Skyrim is... Rather the opposite]