What Do You Name Your RPG Characters?

ejrocksthisworld

Feb 14, 2010
I played D&D with a few friends one time and built a backstory to my character, whom I named Graidelse. I enjoyed his persona so much that I now name all of my RPG characters after him.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
Usually Forde, after a character from one of the Fire Emblem games. In the game he has a brother named Sain, one of my good friends actually used Sain as his WoW character, name back in the day, and mine was Forde at the time. Neither of us planned it out, but it was pretty cool.

If I don't use Forde I use Pardue, another name i used when I played WoW. I got that name from an episode of the show Code Monkeys, one of the characters has a mental break down and thinks he is in a D&D type world, and he calls himself Pardue.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I use the Default or Canon names when I play RPGs. When it comes to Pokemon, I just use the Pokemon's species name instead of nick-naming. If that isn't possible though (like in Elder Scroll games) I'll probably just call my characters Shogg or something. Or Emma if my character is female...I like that name.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
The names I usually go with are depending on the class. It also depends on what type of an RPG. If it's a JRPG I usually leave the name as default.

Male
Zeraki: Warrior, usually a tank character.
Francis: Also a name I use for Warriors, sometimes casters.
Locke: Exclusively used for Rogues.
Zarka: A warrior name, usually for non-human characters

Female
Jade: Rogue(usually an archer), Sniper(Mass Effect) and Warrior.
Alice/Allison: Caster
Zeraa: Usually a warrior/caster like a Paladin(the name was taken from Pope Zera in Grandia II).
Zakera: Caster DPS character... like a Shaman in World of Warcraft.

Back when I played WoW my guild used to joke that it was easy to spot me if I was on an alt, because almost all my characters had a name that started with the letter "Z".

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
GSP66 said:
First doing some LSD and then reading "A Wheel of Time"

The random scribblings I mark on the wall becomes the name.
I can see how The Wheel of Time could inspire some weird names. I swear, sometimes it feels like Robert Jordan was just playing a game to see how many vowels he could string together in a row before using a consonant.

FirewallCMD

Sep 27, 2010
Sometimes I like to go with the default name if one is available, otherwise I generally go for something offensive and hilarious.. or at least something a 2 year old would find funny...
"Lulz... Fagballs.."

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
For RPG's or MMO's I tend to go for something lore friendly.

Examples:

Diablerous / Tirrous - Male and female Sith names in SWTOR
Ansgar Aeducan - Male Dwarf noble in DA:O.

But for everything else I generally go with:

Angelous Wang - male fore and surname.
Angel Wang - female fore and surname.
Angelous - male forename only.
Angel - female forename only.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
It depends on the setting. If it's a fantasy RPG with western names as the norm, I'll usually go with my own name.

If it's a game where eastern names are the norm, I'll usually go with something like Yokoshima. Or any other character from some of my favorite manga. (Yokoshima is from Ghost Sweeper Mikami, an old classic.)

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Wendy or Wenseph, and some random last name, when I play a single player RPG. However, in GW2 I have four different versions of Wenseph. Wenseph, Wenravi, Aenseph and Wénseph. I also have a character named Sassaare. I named that one before I realized why it's good to name your characters the same when you play with others.

Jan 1, 2013
I sometimes go with the original names.
I also renamed all main characters in an RPG with names from Earthbound and the Scott Pilgrim comics.
Otherwise I use Chris, Ness, Hero and Rookie.

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
Anezay. It's my name in pig latin, altough sometimes I like to do some kind of lame joke, like in Mass Effect giving Shepard the first name "Commander".

Ganado_Headshot

Jan 13, 2009
Brutilious for medieval games, but I also have two Fallout characters named Mikey Meatsauce and Henry Da Hammer, need a little comic relief in the wasteland am I right?

Iron Gix

Mar 26, 2010
Gix
Shiva
Lillith
Uma
i usually those most often,have a hard time with male names and usually speand way to much time thinking about what to name a male

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
For the main character, the most common name I use is Odysseus, which is the name from which my name is derived.

If the game allows you to change the name of other party members, like in Chrono Trigger, I either keep the default name if I really like it or replace about half of the letters in the default to make a new name.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Fantasy/female: Vara, Elysi, Vyver, Aillana, Sarrai
"/male: Shaydro, Lerkos, Balathun (first one I ever used!), Koschei, Rilaen

Modernish settings I don't really have a go to, except "Lucius Sweed" I like to use when it fits. For a bloodied yet unbowed sort of demeanor.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
My character name is usually "Rik Wilson" - when I'm playing a guy. I know, it's not particularly heroic.

It's a tradition from the first computer RPG I ever played - Temple of Apshai on an Apple ][c in 1985 or so. I made a character (read: blundered through the character creation process guessing what the stats and numbers meant), and when it asked "What is thy character's name?" I was stumped. The nearest book was the manual for the game. I opened it to the first page, and looked at the names of everyone who contributed to making the game. One of the play testers was a guy named "Rik Wilson". And the name has forever stuck.

I tell ya what, Rik has been through some serious shit.

He's been the Bhaalspawn, he's fought Super Mutants in the wasteland, he slew a beholder beneath Neverwinter, he became a Baron with an 'Elite' kill rating for the Empire, he battled the Dark Savant across time and space, he was a vampire in LA, and once he was a roaming swordsman in Edo-jidai Japan (not many people with the name 'Wilson' in that place let me tell you).

Alternatively, in online games, I'm usually 'UZO' or some derivative of "Uzofiel" - an Age of Conan demonologist Stygian named 'Uzophrates', and in Secret World I was "Agent U20").